I had the best nursing in public expirence today - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-11-2010, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was out running erands with my neighbor and we had to go to the dr to get some test results. We were expecting to be in and out, but of course dr was backed up for over an hour!
There was a full waiting room and a few people had asked ab...out L "how old is she?" ect. Finally she wakes up. And she is STARVING!.. Oh man, there's nowhere good that I can sit off in a corner or something, baby is howling.. I'm wearing a dress since none of my pants fit!

So there I am juggling a screaming baby, blanket, and trying to pull my boob out the top of my dress without exposing myself to everyone. Finally, she latches on, and the room falls silent. One of the women said "She found it!" And the entire room erupts in laughter. It was hilarious. No one was weird or mean about it, I got all sorts of smiles.. it was really nice.

It was seriously the last thing I was expecting for middle of nowhere Kentucky.l

Amanda
Mom to Reya (13) and Little baby Lila 9/22

http://arealwomanssweatjournal.blogspot.com

#2 of 9 Old 10-11-2010, 11:28 PM

Awesome!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#3 of 9 Old 10-11-2010, 11:41 PM

That's awesome!

I haven't had to NIP yet because everywhere we have gone, DD has slept through the entire outing! :LOL

Wife to Brian , mother to Xander 10/26/05 and new squishy, Claire 9/26/10 .
#4 of 9 Old 10-11-2010, 11:51 PM

aww! thats great!

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#5 of 9 Old 10-12-2010, 12:18 AM

DDC crashing.

My first NIP experience was the dr waiting room. It was so stressful and there was this young guy sitting directly across from me. He just kept chatting with me about my beautiful baby. It's great when we get those confidence boosts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mom to Kira March 2009
#6 of 9 Old 10-13-2010, 10:44 AM

Woohoo! I am glad it was such a positive experience.

Despite thinking of myself as a total lactivist, I was really nervous about nursing in public. But I guess Andrew wanted to get me past that quickly because I think I've been out with him 5 or 6 times and I have had to NIP every single time, sometimes a couple of times. Now I feel like a practiced hand and I don't worry, but I am glad I didn't get any comments or funny looks when I was brand new to it. Not being bothered gave me the confidence I needed.

Mary, proud to be a mama to Andrew (9/14/10) and Caroline (7/27/13) and wife to Matt.
#7 of 9 Old 10-14-2010, 01:33 PM

Your story gave me goose bumps and brought tears to my eyes!

When DD1 was born I went to the Maker Fair when she was 6 weeks old. She was having a freak out so I just whiped my boob out of the top of my shirt, plopped down in a chair and started nursing... I didn't even think about it. An older woman walked up and put her hand on my shoulder and I suddenly got nervous, like she was going to scold me. When I looked at her face she had tears in her eyes and she said "what a good mama... I'm so proud of you." I was blown away.

I was also super nervous the first time around about nursing in front of my Dad's super conservative southern baptist family, but they just laughed at me and said a nursing baby is he most beautiful thing in the world! Guess my mom broke them in pretty well when she nursed me for 4 years!!

Mama to Lulan 8/07, and Amelia Pearl 9/10
#8 of 9 Old 10-17-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda_Reyasmom View Post
I was out running erands with my neighbor and we had to go to the dr to get some test results. We were expecting to be in and out, but of course dr was backed up for over an hour!
There was a full waiting room and a few people had asked ab...out L "how old is she?" ect. Finally she wakes up. And she is STARVING!.. Oh man, there's nowhere good that I can sit off in a corner or something, baby is howling.. I'm wearing a dress since none of my pants fit!

So there I am juggling a screaming baby, blanket, and trying to pull my boob out the top of my dress without exposing myself to everyone. Finally, she latches on, and the room falls silent. One of the women said "She found it!" And the entire room erupts in laughter. It was hilarious. No one was weird or mean about it, I got all sorts of smiles.. it was really nice.

It was seriously the last thing I was expecting for middle of nowhere Kentucky.l
ROTFL that is pretty funny.

I feel lucky to have not gotten any bad reaction from NIP... most people either seem encouraging, indifferent, or just slightly awkward.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#9 of 9 Old 10-18-2010, 12:16 AM

Ive only had a few chances to NIP since Maes birth. The only reaction i have gotten so far was DHs coworker going "Oh I didn't realize what was going on ill leave you be..." when he realized I was nursing Mae. We told him no worries, nothing was visible we didn't want anyone to see and no need to be embarrassed by it, shes just eating.

And then he sat down with us and continued the conversation we were having before that point.

I like that guy lol... was my first time meeting him but the fact that he was considerate of my possible need for privacy AND okay with me not needing privacy when i told him it was fine... hes OK in my book

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page