15 lbs, 4 oz - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-19-2010, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That's how much he weighed in today. At 7 weeks old. He was born at 8 lb 1 oz.

He's only eating breastmilk! How can he be gaining this much? My daughter has always been like 25% weight and 95% height, so this is the weirdest thing ever.

But I guess this couldn't mean anything bad? I mean we want babies to gain as much as they can?

He doesn't nurse any more than his sister did... did my milk somehow magically beef up, or is it just metabolism?

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#2 of 8 Old 10-19-2010, 11:12 PM

Just saw this from the main page.

My dd1 was in the lowest percentiles (or off the charts) for her weight (she did have severe reflux and allergies) -- my second's weight gain was similar to yours (8 lb at birth, I believe she was nearly 16 lb at her 2 month check up?) .... She had allergies, no reflux. And, oddly, only nursed about 5 min/session as a wee one.

It was just fine. She was off the charts for weight and height 'til she was six months, then gradually started to taper off on the weight gain. Now she is a skinny 4 year old for whom I struggle to find slim fit jeans that will work!

Not all who wander are lost.
#3 of 8 Old 10-20-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post
:
But I guess this couldn't mean anything bad? I mean we want babies to gain as much as they can?

Not a bad thing at all! All my breastfed babies got really chunky at first then at a year thinned out (even when they were still nursing, it was the increase in activity).

Clayton is following his sibling's lead too- he was 11 lbs 12 oz at his 1 month visit, a gain of 3lbs and 6 oz since birth.

Teacher Mama to (8/03) (6/06) and (9/10)
#4 of 8 Old 10-20-2010, 08:35 AM

Both mine did this. I dont remember exactly how much they where gaining a week but at one point I know it was like 2pds a week.

Both were just shy of 20pds at 6 months and both where about 21-22 pds at a year. So once they started moving the gain slowed to a near stop. Pretty common for bfed babies.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 8 Old 10-20-2010, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments, guys...

I figured that it couldn't be a bad thing because he's exclusive bf'ed... but I guess I still for some reason keep expecting him to be a carbon copy of his sister, and he's so different!

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#6 of 8 Old 10-20-2010, 11:10 AM

That is AWESOME weight gain! My EBF LO weighed 6 lbs 14 oz when he was born and is up to 11 lbs 7 oz at 5.5 weeks, and I thought he was really packing it on. It is amazing how fast they can gain!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#7 of 8 Old 10-20-2010, 10:05 PM

I am so amazed at the weight gain of your LOs (and kind of jealous, actually, since I love chubby babies!). I'll find out next week at Ellie's 2 month appt. how much she weighs...I think she's putting all of her eating into her length, b/c she's almost out of the 0-3 clothes lengthwise, but not even close to filling them up in width!

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#8 of 8 Old 10-22-2010, 12:09 AM

wow! i'm impressed! my son grew fast (he was 14lbs at 8 weeks, born at 8lbs 2oz) , but it seems my girls don't grow like that., my son gained about 1 lb per week and my DD is gaining (and DD1 gained) about half that ...

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page