How's the poop? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 10-19-2010, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ozzy has cut down to only 1 poop every 3-4 days. A large difference from his sister who pooped like 20 times a day at this age. He pees non-stop and he's gaining like crazy, so I guess that infrequent poop is okay? [you'd think I'd know stuff, this being my second baby, but somehow I keep being surprised that he is, you know, a different person than my first baby]

When he does poop, it is ENORMOUS. I mean I have to give him a bath, like the biggest diaper blowouts I've ever seen.

The texture is a bit more runny/orange-y than the standard poop. Could that be something I'm eating?

What is your baby's poop like?

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#2 of 24 Old 10-19-2010, 11:49 PM

Ellie sounds almost exactly the same as Ozzy's! Except she always seems to wait until *just* after I've done laundry to have a huge poop blowout.

Last Friday and Saturday was some marathon pooping, though; 2 huge blowouts on Friday (including one on my bed, just off the towel she was laying on...giving me even *more* laundry...yay!) and another on Saturday. Then a huge one yesterday (also necessitating an emergency bath). I just did diaper laundry today, so I'm surprised she hasn't pooped again...

Her poop is rather orangey and runny--I couldn't tell yesterday if there was any mucus in it; I'm going to watch for the next one...if there is, I think I may have to cut dairy out of my diet (*sob*).

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#3 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 12:31 AM

Mae poops constantly, change her diaper and she poops again. Almost every diaper change involves 2-3 diapers.

DS was more like Ozzie though, complete with blowouts. Even to this day he only poops every other day or so but when he does, he is in there for ages. Takes his NintendoDS to keep him company

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#4 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 12:45 AM

DS poops about 3-4 times a day (almost 7 weeks old now) which seems so little to me compared to DD who had a poopy diaper at pretty much every single change at this age. I'm glad for this thread to see he is totally in the range of what other people are seeing.

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

#5 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 01:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DD2 poops every other day and it is very orange and watery too. I asked midwife about it today and will be cutting dairy and gluten out of my diet for a few weeks.

Any other ideas?

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#6 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
Mae poops constantly, change her diaper and she poops again. Almost every diaper change involves 2-3 diapers.
Same here at this point.

My kids always tend to drop down to one poop every few days (once it was a week before pooping and O M G when he did it was EVERYWHERE!) at around 2-3 months.

Teacher Mama to (8/03) (6/06) and (9/10)
#7 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 09:55 AM

DS2 poops every other day, 1 giant poop. Sometimes he will poop more, but that's the usual. And they are orangey and kind of runny too, and there is a little mucous. SOB. I noticed that he was more chilled out when we ran out of milk... but the last few days I have had cereal and lots of milk for breakfast and he is more gassy and crabby. So I'm pretty sure I need to cut out the milk. I have had cheese almost daily and he did not get the big gas, so I think I'll just skip stright milk and reduce the cheese and see what happens.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#8 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 10:08 AM

DS is going 1-2 times/day right now.
As for amount, not going for up to 10 days is normal in a breastfed baby (get ready for that blowout). Also the orange colour and runnier is very normal especially if they are going longer between poops, just the absorption process that is happening with more time in the gut. Also a little mucous is fine. Lots of mucous and green runniness tend to be more indicative of digestive issues, especially dairy. If you are not seeing other signs I wouldn't worry about it (reflux, extreme fussiness, not sleeping at all etc).
Ds is still having some mucous in his diapers but not like before dairy and soy were gone. I'm still questioning whether there could be more issues with my diet but I'm waiting it out at this point to see where things go before I further change my diet.

Mama to three sweet boys ('04, '07 and the new addition arrived on Sept 8, 2010)
#9 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
This is our Simon!! It's constantly running out of his bum! And when you wipe, more comes sliding out. Sometimes very silent! What a pain -- I guess that's why we have the awful diaper rash.

Oh, and on the topic of diaper rash again, Simon still has it pretty bad. I just talked to the doc yesterday, and she said it might be a yeast infection. Has anyone had this before? What does it look like? I found pics online, and they all seemed to have little red dots around. Simon's is just plain red and blotchy. Still have to make it to the store to get the Lotrimin!

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#10 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 11:00 AM

My LO has 1 or 2 decent sized ones a day and 3-6 smallish ones. He doesn't usually do number 2 at night.

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#11 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 11:26 AM

DD#2 has one a day usually. Sometimes she'll skip a day, and then WATCH OUT! Her poop is mostly mustardy, but sometimes it will have a little green tinge to it with some mucous. Not green, just not on the orange side. We went through big time green poops with DD#1, and it turned out that she needed some probiotics (her gut flora had been killed off by the antibiotics she got for meconium aspiration). Tried the elimination diet first, but absolutely no improvement after 3 weeks!

So I gave DD#2 some infant probiotics and the mucous and green tinge went away. Just playing it by ear now.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#12 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 11:54 AM

Tso is exactly the same as Ozzy.
last week we had a 3.30am blowout that meant both he and I needed a change of night clothes and the linen needed changing too. fun! lol

Mama to Luka - 22 February 2005, Tiisetso - 18 September 2010 & 3 angel bubbles
#13 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcelina View Post
Oh, and on the topic of diaper rash again, Simon still has it pretty bad. I just talked to the doc yesterday, and she said it might be a yeast infection. Has anyone had this before? What does it look like? I found pics online, and they all seemed to have little red dots around. Simon's is just plain red and blotchy. Still have to make it to the store to get the Lotrimin!
A yeast rash will look really meaty and raw. poor baby I really like Miracle Salve Plus for well, pretty much everything, but it works really well on yeastie rashes.

Quote:
Us too it's insane.

Amanda
Mom to Reya (13) and Little baby Lila 9/22

http://arealwomanssweatjournal.blogspot.com

#14 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcelina View Post
DS had it... I do not remember any little red dots but his poor bum was raw

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#15 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda_Reyasmom View Post
A yeast rash will look really meaty and raw. poor baby I really like Miracle Salve Plus for well, pretty much everything, but it works really well on yeastie rashes.

Thanks! That's definitely what his bottom looks like. Finally got to the store for the anti-fungal cream. Will apply at next diaper change. Poor little cherub!!

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#16 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 04:25 PM

My older two went days between pooping by 5 weeks or so and saved up for big explosions. Cora is a frequent pooper every diaper has poop in it and when it comes off she poops some more. She still poops overnight. We are battling yeast from her night time poop habit and because of the pampers I was using overnight. Yeast is a bunch of red dots. If any of the dots re left it can still spread so it is hard to get rid of it completely.

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
#17 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 07:14 PM

Ellery goes about once every 12 hours, which runs into getting DD on the bus in the morning and bedtime for the big ones at night. It's bright yellow/orange and NOT seedy, just runny. The funniest thing is that it's all one big squirt, holding breath, one big push and out comes copious poo!!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#18 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 09:18 PM

My guy poops at least 6 times a day but the nurse said even once a week is normal (as crazy as that sounds). There's quite a bit of normal variability!

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
#19 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 09:56 PM

Just as I predicted--I did the laundry yesterday, two *huge* poops today!

Both were orange and seedy, with no apparent mucus, so I'm hoping that means I don't have to eliminate dairy. I pretty much have a cheese sandwich every day for lunch, since it's quick and easy (and I'm too much of a lazy vegetarian right now to do much more than that...)

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#20 of 24 Old 10-22-2010, 12:26 AM

Annie (5 wks) just started spacing out poops in the last week.. she goes once every 1-2 days - DD1 spaced out poops until she was only going every 10-12 days for a while, my DS pooped 8 times a day until he started solids..

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#21 of 24 Old 10-22-2010, 11:38 AM

Baby E goes every 1-2 days now. Major explosions of orange, runny poo. It gets everywhere.

SAHM married to with twin boys  and a girl .  

#22 of 24 Old 10-31-2010, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Here are her BM for the past 2 weeks (when I noticed they were much more infrequent)

Oct. 19- Large
Oct. 21- Small (size of 2 quarters???)
Oct. 23- 2 medium
Oct 24- SUPER BIG
Oct. 26- Large
Oct. 28- Small (this is the first seedy poo in more than a month)
nothing since then

I have been gluten and dairy free for almost 2 weeks and the poo was much more seedy on the 28.... it was pure liquid before that.

She had a big patch of eczema on her forehead that is almost gone, so I know she has some sensitivity to either dairy or gluten. I was hoping it would improve the poop situation too.

What do you all think?

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#23 of 24 Old 10-31-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMama View Post
Here are her BM for the past 2 weeks (when I noticed they were much more infrequent)

Oct. 19- Large
Oct. 21- Small (size of 2 quarters???)
Oct. 23- 2 medium
Oct 24- SUPER BIG
Oct. 26- Large
Oct. 28- Small (this is the first seedy poo in more than a month)
nothing since then

I have been gluten and dairy free for almost 2 weeks and the poo was much more seedy on the 28.... it was pure liquid before that.

She had a big patch of eczema on her forehead that is almost gone, so I know she has some sensitivity to either dairy or gluten. I was hoping it would improve the poop situation too.

What do you all think?
From what I've heard and read, your baby's poop schedule sounds totally normal. It's normal for breastfed babies to only poop once every 1 to 2 weeks (though some poop after every feed so there's huge variation). So your baby is averaging every other day. That seems fine to me (though I'm not an expert).

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
#24 of 24 Old 11-04-2010, 12:59 PM

Clayton went from pooping every feed to going longer between poops. He didn't go at all last night or early morning but O M G went he did go it was explosive. I am glad I wasn't holding him

Teacher Mama to (8/03) (6/06) and (9/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page