Mothering Forum banner

Nightime diaper changes

1K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  sk8boarder15 
#1 ·
How often are you changing diapers at night and what kind of diapers are you LOs sleeping in?

I am changing him about 3 times per night, which is getting really old. At some point with my DD I stopped doing this, but I can't remember when. I have a hard time breaking myself of this because I just can't stand the thought of him laying there all wet!

We were using prefolds, doubled up for overnight, but I was given some throw away diapers and have been using those at night because he was SOAKING doubled up prefolds and getting diaper rash, even when I change him 3x. With DD we have used happy hempies as overnight diapers, but DS is still too small for even the size small happy hempies.

What are you doing that is working out better than this?

#2 ·
even sposies we have to change mae a few times each night. shes like a neverending faucet of poo.

its really so much cheaper in our case just to use cloth because OMG the girl goes and goes and goes and goes.

#3 ·
I only change him once... when he wakes up to nurse, usually around 2 am ish. I'll change his diaper, change his clothes (because usually there is leakage), nurse him, back to sleep.

But I make sure the last thing before getting him to bed, and the first thing upon getting up in the morning, is fresh diaper.

I usually use a fitted with cover. He never poops at night, so it's just pee.

#4 ·
Caitlin is just transitioning away from pooping with every nighttime feeding at 7 weeks. We had two nights without poop and one poop last night, about 5am. She usually wakes to eat 3 times in the night. She does have diaper rash right now, but the pee doesn't seem to bother it nearly as much as the poop, so I'm trying to change her at either the first or second waking, but not all three.

Right now we're using FuzziBunz with the smaller insert, but when her rash clears up and she starts sleeping longer that's not going to work, as it already occasionally leaks during her first 3-4 hour sleep. I'm thinking of getting some hemp inserts for overnight.

#5 ·
My little guy only poops once or twice a day...such a change for me!

My nighttime rules are the same for newborns and toddlers: if you poop, I will change you. Otherwise you get changed in the morning unless there are rash issues.

We still have disposables left from our little bout with a yeasty bum rash (don't want that in my cloth!) so I've been using a 'sposie at night. Because it's a 'sposie, I butter the bum up good in bum cream and just use one diaper. No diaper rash yet from this routine and it means we both get more sleep because diaper changes really wake him up.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnneCordelia View Post

My nighttime rules are the same for newborns and toddlers: if you poop, I will change you. Otherwise you get changed in the morning unless there are rash issues.

We still have disposables left from our little bout with a yeasty bum rash (don't want that in my cloth!) so I've been using a 'sposie at night. Because it's a 'sposie, I butter the bum up good in bum cream and just use one diaper. No diaper rash yet from this routine and it means we both get more sleep because diaper changes really wake him up.
We change only poop diapers at night too, unless shes getting a rash. Pee doesn't seem to bother her as much as poop.

#8 ·
Lila doesn't poop at night for the most part. I change her once in the middle of the night and she pretty much sleeps through it. I'm able to convince her to latch on for a few, but I'm 90% sure she's sleeping through that too.

#9 ·
we use sposies for night, since he only pees, and I change him once if he fusses about it. If he falls asleep nursing, then he stays in that same diaper. First thing in the AM we go back to cloth.
When he's big enough, I'll use my fitted hemp diapers with the doubler and wool for night. But the covers are way too big now and I don't feel like buying any more.

#10 ·
DS is mostly just peeing at night now (not many night poops anymore), thank goodness. I have been using either fitteds or prefold with covers but he pees a lot and we're having leaks now. I may just start throwing a wool cover over the whole thing and seeing if that helps.

I usually change him 2-3 times at night, but since it is usually just pee I can just do it in bed. I try to do it as quickly as possible so he wakes up as little as possible and also doesn't cry and wake up DD.

#11 ·
We use sposies at night and only change for poop and I can't remember the last time she pooped at night. She almost always poops within a half an hour of 8am and 8pm.

#12 ·
as long as there is no poo, i don't change DD2 after i go to bed .. i use sposies at night .. i cchange her when i go to bed .. last night that was about 11:30 and she was still dry at 7am .. if she is really wet or poopy she wakes up .. the most i've changed at night since she was 1 week old is once a night and i was just doing that because she had a rash.. the rash went away mysteriously, changing more often didn't help anything..

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnneCordelia View Post
.... I've been using a 'sposie at night. Because it's a 'sposie, I butter the bum up good in bum cream and just use one diaper. No diaper rash yet from this routine and it means we both get more sleep because diaper changes really wake him up.
I use a sposie at night too. I put on some cream, and that's that. I swaddle him, so to change a diaper, I have to half undress him, which cools him down, which wakes him up....

So I don't change him. Early in the morning, he won't settle back down due to the wet diaper, and that's when I change him. It's also why I use a sposie--any feeling of wetness and he's awake.

Ami

#15 ·
We use pre-folds with a pocket insert added in at night and he soaks them! We change him 2-3 times a night when he wakes up to poop and nurse. He tends to wake up and poop about 15 mins later so I nurse until he poops, then change him then nurse him back to sleep. This usueally happens at 2 am, 5am and if I sleep in 8am. Otherwise I get up with him around 8... Some nights he is skipping the 5 am waking! Hoping that trend continues!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.