2 month checkup...vaccinations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-25-2010, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tomorrow's baby E's 2 month check up. I will not be doing vaccinations tomorrow. I've been sifting through the vaccination board and feeling pretty confident we will not be vaccinating this baby. What are you all doing for vaccinations? I have twin boys in the 1st grade that seem to be sick every other week, so I'm nervous having a newborn through these winter months.... but vaccinations scare the crappers out of me.

I'm excited to see how much she weighs, because she hasn't been to the doctor since 2 weeks old and she's almost 9 weeks....let me see how she's grown!

SAHM married to with twin boys  and a girl .  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 10-25-2010, 01:11 PM

I'm doing hib (one shot now, another one at 12 months or so) and torturing myself over dtap. Cried a lot last night thinking about it, actually.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#3 of 18 Old 10-25-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post
I'm doing hib (one shot now, another one at 12 months or so) and torturing myself over dtap. Cried a lot last night thinking about it, actually.
It's so scary, either way. I did delayed/selective vaxing with my boys and I will say it's a relief to not be doing any vaxes tomorrow. I'm still researching and we may add some vaccinations or not. It's the worst of parenting decisions to make.

#4 of 18 Old 10-25-2010, 01:36 PM

We decline them. DD is 4 and has only had the one with tetnus because she was bit by a dog earlier this year and I had a long talk with the ER doc about it and she was actually really friendly about me not vaxing but did say that if any this would be the one to get even if we didn't go back for the boosters. but at this age, there is no way I'd vax right now. If ds or dd for that matter show a weakened immune system to where they couldn't handle getting sick well THEN I'd look more into getting them, but for now dd's never really been sick but once and ds is only 4 weeks now. The earliest I'd get them would be about 2 years but I also nursed dd to 3 years and hope to nurse this one to two years as well. JMO

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10
#5 of 18 Old 10-25-2010, 02:21 PM

we are comfortable w/selective/delayed.

Mom of 7, ages 13, 12, 9, 7, 5, 4, and 2.5!
#6 of 18 Old 10-25-2010, 07:52 PM

E's 2 month appt. is on Wed., and I'm actually quite excited about seeing how much she weighs/how long she is (I swear the kid is a string bean--she just keeps getting longer and longer!).

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm a vaxxer. I may talk w/the doc about delayed vaccinations, as my understanding is that the office is quite supportive of doing so, but E will most likely get most of them at some point. She'll definitely be getting some on Wednesday, the poor little thing...

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#7 of 18 Old 10-25-2010, 08:29 PM

I'm pretty cautious about vaccines for infants. My first son had a massive allergic reaction to his first set and you really can't know which infant will react prior. I'm certainly not anti vax, and have mellowed on the topic considerably over the years, but my daughter did not receive any until I was CERTAIN her immune system was healthy, she had no known allergies and that she was developmentally sound. She was about 2 and a half when she got her first set with no adverse reactions. I will wait with this baby as well. For what it's worth I got us connected with the infectious disease clinic at our children's hospital and have them done there. The doctors and nurses are VERY informed about the pros and cons of vaccines and I feel better knowing they are being done in a hospital environment should one of them have another allergic reaction.

It's a tough decision and one you have to live with either way. For me, once I read and read and read some more I couldn't justify the risk of vaccination over the real, but unlikely, risk of natural infection. Good luck with your decision.

Wife to Dh Mom to Ds (6) Dd (3)
and our brand new Ds
#8 of 18 Old 10-26-2010, 12:30 AM

We are vaccinating but on a delayed schedule.

Christian, father of Santiago (HB 9/6/10) and loving husband to Wendy.
#9 of 18 Old 10-26-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurski View Post
E's 2 month appt. is on Wed., and I'm actually quite excited about seeing how much she weighs/how long she is (I swear the kid is a string bean--she just keeps getting longer and longer!).

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm a vaxxer. I may talk w/the doc about delayed vaccinations, as my understanding is that the office is quite supportive of doing so, but E will most likely get most of them at some point. She'll definitely be getting some on Wednesday, the poor little thing...
We do as well, did with Em too. I do try to space them out so that he's not getting a WHOLE bunch of them at once, and watch closely for any reaction. But Em has never had a negative reaction and I've got my fingers crossed that Ozzy won't either.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#10 of 18 Old 10-26-2010, 09:54 AM

We delay all vax until 6 months old, and even then have a very delayed schedule. I just don't think a baby's immune systems is equipped to handle that stuff so soon.

The only one I considered this time is the Dtap because of pertussis, which does happen around here every winter. Even my ped. suggested it, and he knows our vax stance. I think what I'll do, instead of giving it to dd, is go get a refresher vax for myself. They offered it at the hospital, but I declined it because I hadn't thought it through. Now it makes sense, though...if I'm vaccinated, and all our older kids are vaccinated (they are for pertussis), then the chances of dd getting it is pretty low. It's not as if she's out in public a lot, or at daycare.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#11 of 18 Old 10-26-2010, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
We don't vax. I have considered doing it delayed, but the kids always got too old for some of the vaxes so I never did it.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#12 of 18 Old 10-26-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
The only one I considered this time is the Dtap because of pertussis, which does happen around here every winter. Even my ped. suggested it, and he knows our vax stance. I think what I'll do, instead of giving it to dd, is go get a refresher vax for myself. They offered it at the hospital, but I declined it because I hadn't thought it through. Now it makes sense, though...if I'm vaccinated, and all our older kids are vaccinated (they are for pertussis), then the chances of dd getting it is pretty low. It's not as if she's out in public a lot, or at daycare.
I wanted to get a refresher Dtap vax when I went to the doc for my flu shot (I always get one since I started teaching) and I was told I couldn't get it b/c then I'd expose E to it...hmmm. The answer didn't make much sense at the time, so I'll ask the ped about it on Wed.

There's a fairly large outbreak of pertussis near where I live, and the idea of E getting it scares the pants off of me...

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#13 of 18 Old 10-26-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurski View Post
I wanted to get a refresher Dtap vax when I went to the doc for my flu shot (I always get one since I started teaching) and I was told I couldn't get it b/c then I'd expose E to it...hmmm. The answer didn't make much sense at the time, so I'll ask the ped about it on Wed.

There's a fairly large outbreak of pertussis near where I live, and the idea of E getting it scares the pants off of me...
Yeah, that's really dumb. Dtap or Tdap (the one given to adults) aen't a live vaccines so it's not as if you'd shed it onto her.

The problem is they're not sure if the vaccines actually prevent transmission of pertussis since they protect against the toxin created by the bacteria rather than the bacteria itself, so it's very possible even fully vaccinated people are carriers and contagious without knowing it. However, if a bf'ing mother gets the vax, the baby could get some antibodies through the milk.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#14 of 18 Old 10-26-2010, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

My boys have the whole DTaP series, so it's the one I was considering too. Especially with all the pertussis talk lately. And E's already been sick once and she seems to be hanging on to the cough? She doesn't cough very often or having coughing fits like pertussis, so I don't think she has it, but her lungs don't seem to be very good at letting the illness go, kwim? My one son has asthma and has a terrible time with respiratory illnesses, so I'm watching her to see if she maybe will too. I'll talk to doc about that today.

#15 of 18 Old 10-26-2010, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Well, back from the 2 month appointment and E's almost doubled her birthweight! She's still a little bean 10 lbs 3 ounces....must take after her mama (I'm 5 ft tall, 135 lbs).

I talked with the resident doc and her MD about the DTaP vax. We live in a small mountain community and there's been one confirmed case of pertussis recently. I've been researching the illness and wondering what to do for E. Anyone else nervous about the pertussis outbreak in CA? Like I said, my school aged boys seem to bring home every illness. Uck.

#16 of 18 Old 10-26-2010, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post
However, if a bf'ing mother gets the vax, the baby could get some antibodies through the milk.

Really? Can you guide me to more info on this please?

#17 of 18 Old 10-26-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacifica View Post
Well, back from the 2 month appointment and E's almost doubled her birthweight! She's still a little bean 10 lbs 3 ounces....must take after her mama (I'm 5 ft tall, 135 lbs).

I talked with the resident doc and her MD about the DTaP vax. We live in a small mountain community and there's been one confirmed case of pertussis recently. I've been researching the illness and wondering what to do for E. Anyone else nervous about the pertussis outbreak in CA? Like I said, my school aged boys seem to bring home every illness. Uck.
yes dh had pertussis a few years ago and it was the most awful thing i have ever seen. i really thought he was going to die. nak

Amanda
Mom to Reya (13) and Little baby Lila 9/22

http://arealwomanssweatjournal.blogspot.com

#18 of 18 Old 10-27-2010, 05:14 PM

We don't vax at all right now. Originally with my DD (age 3) I had planned to do a delayed schedule, but the more I researched, the more I decided the risks of the vaccines did not outweigh the benefits. Dr. Tenpenny's video is what really swayed me.

There's no way I'd vax an infant though even if I were pro-vax.

It's SUCH a hard decision though and not a black and white issue for me. It's the one parenting decision that continues to torture me and I'm still researching constantly and may change my mind, but right now, I'm comfortable with my decision not to vax.

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page