Mothering Forum banner

Birth Control

2K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  etsdtm99 
#1 ·
So, I didn't have fertility return with DD until 16 months and then got pregnant at 17 months... We decided to not take any precautions and it worked out for us.

I lost my milk before my BFP, so I don't want to get pregnant again until DD2 is at least 18 months old.

What are my chances of having fertility return before 6 months this time, 12 months???

What are you guys doing?

#3 ·
We are, EBF and "pull & pray". Hopefully the "p&p" works better now that I am EBFing. Condoms are *very* uncomfortable to and I'm not comfortable with the idea of any bc that has to be inserted, well anywhere. (When I was 14 I was talked into getting a norplant. It was almost impossible to find anyone willing to remove it after it had expired. It was in my arm for 12 years!) We are very interested in fertility tracking to avoid pregnancy and will be looking into it, unless we have already started down the path of adding to our little family.

#4 ·
we are still trying to figure out what we are going to do. I'm fine with NFP but Im nervous about the first fertile cycle before my period. What if I don't notice any signs? I don't think I can handle being pregnant and having another baby for awhile.

#5 ·
DDCC - I'm still pregnant (~6 weeks left) but I was considering a diaphragm once DH returned from deployment (he'll be leaving before the LO is 2 months so we'll use condoms if we have sex).
Has anyone used a diaphragm before?

#6 ·
What's worked well for us is using NFP, but also being careful. So that means using spermicide (in easy applicators, gel or foam) most days, plus a condom if/when I think I might be fertile.

This time, though, dh is getting a vasectomy. He's going to wait until dd is 6 months old.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post
DDCC - I'm still pregnant (~6 weeks left) but I was considering a diaphragm once DH returned from deployment (he'll be leaving before the LO is 2 months so we'll use condoms if we have sex).
Has anyone used a diaphragm before?
We did, before AND after DD1. It wasn't comfortable after DD2. I really didn't mind it much at all. Easy peasy and much more fun than a condom
I definitely recommend them to someone looking for a condom alternative.

To answer the general question, we've used NFP and barrier (condom, spermicide, or diaphragm) to avoid successfully. NFP is a little dicey before your first pp period, and there ARE rules involving fertile CM which I forget since it's been a while. We usually use a barrier until the first cycle except in the early pp time. I'm contemplating an IUD and have to have it placed before the end of the year if we go that direction, but I'm still not sure...

Chloe's Mama--I got mine back at 6m with DD1 and 11m with DD2. For me, it has a lot to do with when baby STTN (12 hours, not 6) without nursing AND when they start 2 servings of solids a day. But it definitely varied for me.

#9 ·
Most likely an IUD, although also considering a diaphragm. It partially depends on whether or not insurance will cover the IUD. I've never used a diaphragm, though, so I'd be interested in other folks' experiences.

Prior to E I used birth control pills, which I will *never* use again...and I have a mild allergic reaction to most condoms--I think it's the spermicide--which is kind of the opposite experience I'm going for when DH and I want to DTD. Plus, I just don't like them!

#10 ·
My friend got a copper IUD after her last baby, and she likes it. I am not keen on that though - my mother had one (granted, this is decades ago) and got a very serious infection after a few years of use.
I'm not doing any hormonal BC either. Right now, we've DTD twice and I'm not worried, we did not even P&P. But in a bit we'll use condoms, and DH will be getting a V.

#12 ·
I did it. My Mirena was inserted yesterday. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting at all. They warned that I may have some heavy-ish period like bleeding, but I'm barely spotting so I'm encouraged. I had a tiny tiny bit of cramping, but nothing bad at all.

#13 ·
I'm think about Essure -well I'm sure, hubby is still thinking. Has anyone had this procedure done? I don't like chemical birth control. we've used a diaphragm for 9 years and I'm not at all interested in using one again for long term BC. I'm done having kids unless my hubby decides he wants to try for a boy. Pregnancy is very uncomfortable fir me and we had a traumatic experience after our newest was born. So I'm hoping he can be done too.

So Essure seems like thevest option. Hubby doesn't want the V - he heard sone horror stories. I don't mind being the one to get fixed I just want something permanent.

#16 ·
Just a reminder to please maintain a friendly and comfortable atmosphere when responding to each other, and also a reminder that we are very cautious about discussing the topic of abortion and we do NOT host abortion debate. Thank you.

#17 ·
I got pregnant on the copper IUD followed by a miscarriage because I didn't find out soon enough. DF is getting a V at some point soon.. so for now its P&P and maybe condoms though I hate them.. I was curious about Essure also.

And I find alot of people don't understand how their birth control works.

#18 ·
For us right now our plan is not having sex. That probably sounds terrible to many of you but my marriage is on really really rough ground right now and we need to fix a bunch of things before it will even be on the table. Past that I'm not sure... I feel very strongly about not using birth control but on the flip side I feel like I need a break from breastfeeding even if my marriage is able to be healed. I've been pregnant and/or nursing for five years as of the middle of November and with at least another two years (at least, it's my minimum for nursing but my oldest is still nursing and he's four) without a break in sight I'm a little bit overwhelmed and burnt out.

#20 ·
We still haven't DTD yet. There have only been handful of times where both kids were asleep and one of us wanted to and in each case the other one didn't want to.
Assuming we get around to it before DS starts solids (or STTN if that happens sooner but I highly doubt it) I will rely on EBF. I never got AF back after DD but obviously I did ovulate.
It happened when DD was 23 months after I had cut nursing down to twice a day and nothing at night (trying to bring back my fertility). Once DS starts solids I don't want to rely on just BFing for BC, though, b/c we really don't want another pregnancy. So eventually I think we'll just go for condoms and I'm hoping DH will go for a V sometime next year. I'm guessing I probably won't even have AF back by then.

#21 ·
I'm leaning towards an IUD, we aren't 100% sure what we don't want a fourth, but we really don't want a fourth right now!! Although, that said, the one time we DTD, we did... gasp... nothing at all. I don't know what I was thinking, I was so freaking tired, mostly. I'm going to be REALLY tired if we get pregnant again!
Although, I haven't even left DD for a single feeding yet, and we co-sleep, so I don't think I am at a huge risk yet. We'll probably continue to use our previous method of BFing, NFP and P&P for a while and decided for sur. That's a lot of acronyms!! DH will be getting the big V once we decided for sure we're done.

#22 ·
I'm totally not sure what i'm going to do.. i've heard horror stories about every non permanent bc method out there.. i don't want to do hormones or an IUD .. i tried a diaphragm and it really hurt me and DH didn't like it .. condoms suck and i know a few condom babies ..

we used NFP and P&P and that resulted in DD2 ..

the plan at the moment is to do nothing, because my cycles will very likely not return this early and i knew exactly when i ovulated the first time after DS.. it was sooooo obvious i couldn't miss it if i tried.. i will start watching for signs of O after DD2 is about 4 months old, and avoid dtd if i have fertile mucus .. i never O without having fertile mucus.. so.. chances are i will know.. once my cycle returns we're going to have to make a decision.. either be open to another baby or not .. if not then DH will get snipped.. if we are open we will continue to p&p and see what happens.. i assume eventually our method will fail again ..

i'm so torn about having another or not..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.