Lila whoops.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2010, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Like in the sounds of pertussis commercial. It's pretty random. Sometimes after she pulls off the breast, sometimes when she's sleeping. How concerned should I be?

Her next dr appt isn't for 2 weeks, but I'll be taking her tomorrow when I take a friend to the dr so I'll definitely mention it.

Amanda
Mom to Reya (13) and Little baby Lila 9/22

http://arealwomanssweatjournal.blogspot.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 11:41 PM

definitely mention it, just to be sure

hope she is well.. maes been a bit stuffy and wheezy herself, darn this time of year and the diseases that come home from school/work...

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:45 PM

perhaps a forceful letdown? but I would be concerned about reflux....does she have any other 'symptoms'?

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 11-03-2010, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

We're definitely dealing with overactive/forceful let down. I feel like I've got a handle on that one. The whooping in her sleep is the part that really freaks me out.

Amanda

Old 11-04-2010, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

she had a rough night waking every 3 hours. she has never done that. she has also been choking on her saliva along with the weird breathing. someone please tell me it sounds like a baby cold or something easy. 2pm can't get her fast enough.

Amanda

Old 11-04-2010, 01:27 PM

It might be something simple as a cold, but do bring it up.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 11-04-2010, 03:25 PM

indeed it could, my nephew went to the ER many times for a whooping cold (dont blame his mom for "overreacting" his coughs sounded bad but was always just a cold)... but this is of course one of those cases where you cannot be too cautious.

Hoping for her to be just a little sick and get better fast!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:46 PM

hope the appointment went well Isla does it if she chokes while feeding, too.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Old 11-04-2010, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Her lungs are clear, and of course she didn't do it there.. She does do it after feeding sometimes, so choking may have something to do with it. She's got a super long tongue and I've caught her choking on it.. Maybe that's what's going on in her sleep.

Amanda

Old 11-05-2010, 08:16 AM

SOOO glad she isn't sick!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda_Reyasmom View Post
Her lungs are clear, and of course she didn't do it there.. She does do it after feeding sometimes, so choking may have something to do with it. She's got a super long tongue and I've caught her choking on it.. Maybe that's what's going on in her sleep.
Lungs being clear is classic in pertussis. In between coughing fits you are 100% normal. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news

One of the reasons I've been so scarce on this board is because Malachi caught pertussis (was exposed at birth) and was hospitalized for a week at 3 weeks old while we figured out what was going on.

It's really really underdiagnosed. You can have it and have it be brushed off as just a bad cough etc. The good news is that it's not usually serious enough to cause major issues (hence the underdiagnosed part). The only way to know if it is pertussis or not is to test for it.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
Old 11-05-2010, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post
Lungs being clear is classic in pertussis. In between coughing fits you are 100% normal. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news

One of the reasons I've been so scarce on this board is because Malachi caught pertussis (was exposed at birth) and was hospitalized for a week at 3 weeks old while we figured out what was going on.

It's really really underdiagnosed. You can have it and have it be brushed off as just a bad cough etc. The good news is that it's not usually serious enough to cause major issues (hence the underdiagnosed part). The only way to know if it is pertussis or not is to test for it.
She doesn't have a cough though. I think it may be reflux related. I'm keeping a journal of when it happens and we're going to go over it at her 2 month appt in 2 weeks.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have a 3wk old with pertussis. My dh got it a few years ago and he honestly almost died in the epcot parking lot. For weeks he'd pass out while coughing.

Amanda

Old 11-05-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda_Reyasmom View Post
She doesn't have a cough though. I think it may be reflux related. I'm keeping a journal of when it happens and we're going to go over it at her 2 month appt in 2 weeks.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have a 3wk old with pertussis. My dh got it a few years ago and he honestly almost died in the epcot parking lot. For weeks he'd pass out while coughing.
Reflux sucks. I've btdt with #2.

Pertussis can be really really terrible. 4 out of 5 in my household caught it, and we had varying degrees of severity. My Mom also caught it. The family we caught it from had 3 of 6 members infected.

Some of us had milder cases than others, but it can definitely be super scary. The coughing until you puke or pee or get dizzy/pass out (or in my case, pass huge blood clots as was happening when I was postpartum newly) really wears on you.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010

User Tag List