Another Poop Thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-05-2010, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ok, DD2 has been an infrequent pooper from the start. She pooped 4 times her first day, 2 times her second and then it was about 1 big poop a day after that. Sometimes it would go to every other day. About 3 weeks ago (5 weeks old) she started going multiple days without pooping. She even went 3 days in her 6th week. Today was 7 days without pooping, so I used the thermometer method to stimulate things and she pooped right away, like it was sitting there waiting to come out. It was super thick and goopy, like meconium, except it was the normal yellow breastmilk poop color. IT WAS BIG.... lots and lots came out.

So, seems wierd to me. She is just 2 months now. What do you all think?

(I removed dairy and gluten over 2 weeks ago... her eczema has cleared up, but poop is still an issue).

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#2 of 8 Old 11-06-2010, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would call that normal. The longer its in the thicker it will become, but constipation will look more pellet like. Food reaction here are green slimy mucousy frequent messes which is the typical.

Mama to three sweet boys ('04, '07 and the new addition arrived on Sept 8, 2010)
#3 of 8 Old 11-06-2010, 09:55 PM

Since this is a poop thread... and I often see your question and see everyone say its normal (as well, the books I have read about breastfeeding all say going a few days without pooping is normal for a breastfed baby)

...is it normal for her still to be going several times a day at 6 weeks? They are all big juicy bright yellow poos... often making a big mess (once she squirted all over my jeans TWICE in one diaper change... the day I was so proud of fitting into said jeans!)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#4 of 8 Old 11-06-2010, 11:15 PM

Yep...both extremes (and everything in between) can be considered normal at this stage.

Mama to three sweet boys ('04, '07 and the new addition arrived on Sept 8, 2010)
#5 of 8 Old 11-07-2010, 12:03 PM

yep both normal.. DD at this age poo'd once every week or two. Doc said that for bf babies is considered normal to go up to 10 days without a poo. It means that your baby is absorbing all the nutrients from your milk so there's little to no output.

DS however is almost 6 weeks old and still poo's like 4 times a day. On two separate days within an hour each time I changed 5 poopy diapers... so was not happy about that.

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10
#6 of 8 Old 11-07-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMama View Post
Ok, DD2 has been an infrequent pooper from the start. She pooped 4 times her first day, 2 times her second and then it was about 1 big poop a day after that. Sometimes it would go to every other day. About 3 weeks ago (5 weeks old) she started going multiple days without pooping. She even went 3 days in her 6th week. Today was 7 days without pooping, so I used the thermometer method to stimulate things and she pooped right away, like it was sitting there waiting to come out. It was super thick and goopy, like meconium, except it was the normal yellow breastmilk poop color. IT WAS BIG.... lots and lots came out.

So, seems wierd to me. She is just 2 months now. What do you all think?

(I removed dairy and gluten over 2 weeks ago... her eczema has cleared up, but poop is still an issue).
Oh my gosh! This is us exactly - DD2 is 6 weeks and she just pooped today after going for 4 days. It's been like this for about 3 weeks (I think) now. Her poops are not green, but they are really goopy - almost stringy, slimy, and big.

Our doc also said it's fine for bf babies to go for a week or so without a poop... still freaks me out though! Especially because she seems to get so uncomfortable - very gassy and does the collicky "I'm tensing up my body in pain" thing.

I cut out dairy starting on Nov. 1st because one of my mom's friends told her that dairy was a big factor in causing babies to be collicky. So far I haven't seen any overwhelming results, but my midwife said that it takes 10 days for all of the dairy to get out of your system.

Mama to Lulan 8/07, and Amelia Pearl 9/10
#7 of 8 Old 11-08-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
...is it normal for her still to be going several times a day at 6 weeks? They are all big juicy bright yellow poos... often making a big mess (once she squirted all over my jeans TWICE in one diaper change... the day I was so proud of fitting into said jeans!)
Em went several times a day until, well, she still does. But yeah, the entire time she was EBF before we started solids around 6 months, we were looking at half a dozen poops a day IF NOT MORE. I swear that child pooped more than she possibly could have been eating, I don't know how she made so much. She would poop several times while being changed, daily. Take off the poop diaper, lay another under her, she'd poop on that, lay another under her, lift up her legs to wipe, explosive poop all over the place, get cleaned up and in a fresh diaper, poop again.

That's why it's freaking me out so much to have one now who only poops every 2-3 days.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#8 of 8 Old 11-08-2010, 02:16 AM

I guess we are proof that every baby can be different huh? LOL

I seriously do not remember my other two pooping this much... but I also did not use cloth diapers and fear I just didnt REALIZE they were pooping that much.... but then at the same time... I was changing them just as much... but they were usually wet and not dirty... Mae is rarely without some amount of poop in her diaper, even if its just like she had a bit come out with one of her tons of farts she lets out (I think shes going to gain her sisters old nickname of thunderbutt)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page