feeding cereal to 6 week old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-18-2010, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

with reflux beause the mother wants him to sleep at least four hours??? At mothering group this morning a gal informed the group that she had to start doing this because it was the only was she could get him to sleep for more than an hour and a half. This is the same woman who insisted she couldn't bf because her milk wouldn't drop, but she was supplimenting at night with formula as she can't focus without appropriate sleep. My heart breaks. She is always super friendly to me, but every conversation we have just leaves me ill-feeling.

Anyway... has anyone done this? Or heard of this? Is it really safe? My dp's mother tells a story of giving her eldest daughter cereal when she was young and overdoing it, more of a "things we do when we are young and first time mothers and don't know any better" story, not a "you should try this".

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#2 of 4 Old 11-18-2010, 02:41 PM

It's sad that this is still done.  I've been told by a general practitioner to give my LO cereal too-he has reflux.  And just this week I was told to give him JUICE to help get a medication he needs down.  Where's that eye roll smiley...

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#3 of 4 Old 11-19-2010, 04:38 PM

my MOM suggested cereal when I told her about Maes reflux signs. Seriously, thought my mom knew better!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#4 of 4 Old 11-19-2010, 06:39 PM

If the cereal helps by thickening the milk, then I'd say add some geletin.  It's one of the ingredients in the baby formula recipe we are using.  The Weston A Price foundation has the recipe and the have a list of ingredients and brands they recommend.  I'd check that out before cereal. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page