Mothering Forum banner

feeding cereal to 6 week old

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  AustinMom 
#1 ·
with reflux beause the mother wants him to sleep at least four hours??? At mothering group this morning a gal informed the group that she had to start doing this because it was the only was she could get him to sleep for more than an hour and a half. This is the same woman who insisted she couldn't bf because her milk wouldn't drop, but she was supplimenting at night with formula as she can't focus without appropriate sleep. My heart breaks. She is always super friendly to me, but every conversation we have just leaves me ill-feeling.

Anyway... has anyone done this? Or heard of this? Is it really safe? My dp's mother tells a story of giving her eldest daughter cereal when she was young and overdoing it, more of a "things we do when we are young and first time mothers and don't know any better" story, not a "you should try this".

#2 ·
It's sad that this is still done. I've been told by a general practitioner to give my LO cereal too-he has reflux. And just this week I was told to give him JUICE to help get a medication he needs down. Where's that eye roll smiley...

#4 ·
If the cereal helps by thickening the milk, then I'd say add some geletin. It's one of the ingredients in the baby formula recipe we are using. The Weston A Price foundation has the recipe and the have a list of ingredients and brands they recommend. I'd check that out before cereal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.