Nursing Mamas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 01-22-2010, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Who are you? How are you feeling about nursing right now? How old is your nursling? Do you plan to tandem?

I'm nursing my 20 month old ds. It feels like he's chewing on me already so I'm getting a little nervous. He's food allergic and although he's a great eater, I feel obligated to get him as much breastmilk as possible, for as long as possible.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#2 of 28 Old 01-22-2010, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm taking it one day at a time, mama. not feeling any breast tenderness atm.

my youngest is 19 months, and he's quite the booby monster.

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Alora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Ailish Brynn Elspeth, 6/12/14!
#3 of 28 Old 01-22-2010, 04:34 PM

I feel some serious pain when my 20 month old latches but it subsides after a minute or two. Fully intend to tandem if she can stick out the drier spells that are to come. I hope so cos the thought of depriving her breast milk makes me so sad.
#4 of 28 Old 01-23-2010, 12:25 AM

My DS is 3 and still nurses quite a bit. I am not sure if this is phsycological but I have felt like I don't have as much milk now. I don't really have a plan and just want to let things be as they may. We will see!
#5 of 28 Old 01-23-2010, 12:38 AM

I am still absorbing the fact that I'm pregnant again. No one, and I do mean no one, besides my husband knows yet...but MDC DDC's were such a good support for me last time, I figured it was worth showing up here.

I have two girls, 3 1/2 and 8 months (yeah, oops). I'm due 10/2. My 8 month old still nurses every 4-6 hrs during the day and night. She's on solids as well, about 3x a day.
My 3 1/2 yr old nursed until I was 25 weeks pregnant w/ #2...I am PRAYING my milk supply holds out that long. I really want to nurse #2 longer and at this point (I may decide I am absolutely crazy later), I would even tandem nurse if she'll keep it up...she's a very impatient little nursling though, so we'll see how that goes.

If my milk supply does evaporate around 20-25 weeks like it did w/ pregnany #2, I am not sure what to do. She'll only be...13 months (at most) and I am not willing to put her on formula...I don't know what I'll do. Raw milk? I'm w/ you tanyab, the thought of depriving her of breastmilk makes me really sad! I feel most conflicted about this pregnancy because of her age, I feel like I'm giving her the short end of the stick, while her big sister got 2 1/2 years of breastfeeding on demand.

I'm not even 4 weeks and have no breast tenderness...I didn't have it with my last pg either, so I'm not sure that will develop. I do feel some mild contractions after she nurses for a long stint though...I did experience that last time and it never had any long term effects.

#6 of 28 Old 01-23-2010, 11:47 PM

I just got my BFP this morning! This is #2 for us. I have one DD who is almost 22 months old. She is still nursing a lot during the day and a couple times at night.

I think I am just going to go with the flow in terms of weaning, tandem nursing, etc. I don't think I want to tandem nurse, but I am sort of going to play it by ear. I do assume my mlik will go away part way through this pregnancy and if my DD weans at that point, I think I will be okay with it. If she continues to dry nurse through the pregnancy, I will cross that bridge when I get to it!

Since I got my PPAF, I have had extremely sore nipples for the 10 days leading up to my period. I understand that's pretty much what it's like to nurse through a pregnancy (i.e. sore nipples). We'll see how that goes. It's not too bad right now, but I suspect it will get worse.

DD born April 7/08 and expecting #2 October 2010!
#7 of 28 Old 01-24-2010, 11:47 AM

My DS3 is 3.5 years old and still nursing to sleep and in the mornings and during the day if he needs comforting.

When I got pregnant with him, my DS2 was 19 months and ended up nursing through the preganancy and about two months after DS3 was born. The experience was overall positive because I know he still needed my milk, but had its very difficult moments.

I'm hoping he will wean himself before October since he's a bit older and doesn't nurse all that much anyway. It is a bit uncomfortable now, but not that bugs-crawling-on-skin aversion type feeling, which was really difficult to get through last time around. I hope it doesn't turn into that, because the GUILT of feeling like that toward DS2 nursing was the most difficult part.

ETA: Mine didn't stick. H&H pregnancies to everyone, though

NortheastSuperstar
Three boys and a sweet toddling girl joy.gif
#8 of 28 Old 01-25-2010, 12:54 PM

Hey I was in your DDC last time I am nursing DS 20 months and plan on nursing untill he is ready to stop and I would like to try tandem nursing.

some nipple sensitivity but nothing bad yet.

Cat married 4 yrs to DH DS '08 Early October 2010.
#9 of 28 Old 01-25-2010, 01:22 PM

I am nursing my 9.5 month old. He still nurses about every 2-3 hours. I am hoping that my milk will be enough for him. Since he is so young I would like him to nurse through the pregnancy and then tandem. So far I have no soreness and have not noticed any change in my supply, but it is still early.

I nursed throughout my last pregnancy and tandemed nursed for 5 weeks. My dd was 20 months old though when I got pregnant with my ds. I am more nervous this time because my ds still really needs the milk. He doesn't eat solids hardly at all. We offer, but so far he is not very interested.

Aimee - Wife to one hard working DH, SAHM to DD - Sunshine (5), DD - Cupcake (3), DS - Boo (1), and expecting a Surprise - Oct 2010!
#10 of 28 Old 01-25-2010, 01:35 PM

My son was two in September, and really only nurses to sleep at night anymore. I'm not opposed to tandem nursing, but at this point am honestly not sure how much discomfort I'm prepared to endure. I did leave him for a week-long business trip in November, pumped (drops) twice a day, and he returned to nursing immediately when I came home, so I can imagine, even if he does stop for a while, he'll want to start up again. The last few days seemed a bit more painful during latch-on already, but might just be my imagination (or tension, expecting the worst). Who knows what will happen, though, considering I tested very early and, am, oh, 12 days pregnant! If he does wean, or I need to help him along, we've had a good long run together and I'm confident that we'll be fine. Good luck to those of you especially who have younger babies, that must be tough!

Julie, mom to Ansel (Sept '07) and Amalia (Sept '10)
#11 of 28 Old 01-25-2010, 09:32 PM

My DD is 2 years, almost 10 months. I'm feeling some nipple soreness, but it's tolerable thus far. Part of our TTC journey was cutting down a smidgen on her nursing, but we both seem really happy with the current arrangement (bedtime, wakeup, and maybe one other short session during the day). If she does nurse throughout this pregnancy, I'd be happy to tandem nurse (says the mama who can only imagine that right now...who knows what it will actually be like!).

Adventures in Tandem Nursing says that a third of nurslings wean themselves when mama is pregnant, a third keep nursing right on through, and a third are weaned by their mamas.

Thoughts on this?

DD March 2007...happily nursing, EC graduated, family-bed-sharing family... expecting another in early November!
#12 of 28 Old 01-25-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calihannah View Post

Adventures in Tandem Nursing says that a third of nurslings wean themselves when mama is pregnant, a third keep nursing right on through, and a third are weaned by their mamas.

Thoughts on this?
I will definitely not be weaning my LO, so does that mean there is a 66% chance she will continue to nurse through? I am thinking that of those who were weaned it is possible that 50% would have weaned themselves anyway, and 50% would have nursed through, bringing it to a 50% chance of a child nursing through pregnancy I guess. I really want my 20 month old to nurse through. I just am not ready for her to stop yet. I don't know how I would ever get her down for a nap or at bed time, and I feel like when she stops she is no longer my little baby.
#13 of 28 Old 01-25-2010, 10:01 PM

not yet certain at all if i am actually pregnant, but my littlest dd nursling is NOT pleased with my boobs these days. she asks to nurse all day and asks for the other side right away. back and forth back and forth...never seeming to get enough. my supply seems to have dropped dramatically in the past week or so. also, my breasts have shrunk. i have this lovely black lacy bra that i love and that my nursey boobs generally POP out of and it fits nicely with some room. i have no idea what is going on...*sigh*

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#14 of 28 Old 01-25-2010, 10:07 PM

Oh I hear you, MamaFern! My boobs have gone from a 38D as recently as August down to a barely-B. Hoping that this pregnancy boosts them back up, even if my milk supply will probably tank even more than it has recently... I was taking (am taking?) B6 to deal with prolactin/progesterone issues, which had the known effect of a little milk dry-up...but there's still enough there, according to DD. And according to her, it tastes like ice cream

DD March 2007...happily nursing, EC graduated, family-bed-sharing family... expecting another in early November!
#15 of 28 Old 01-25-2010, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyab View Post
I will definitely not be weaning my LO, so does that mean there is a 66% chance she will continue to nurse through? I am thinking that of those who were weaned it is possible that 50% would have weaned themselves anyway, and 50% would have nursed through, bringing it to a 50% chance of a child nursing through pregnancy I guess. I really want my 20 month old to nurse through. I just am not ready for her to stop yet. I don't know how I would ever get her down for a nap or at bed time, and I feel like when she stops she is no longer my little baby.
No, you would exclude the ones who were weaned, and make the others your full set (100%). If the percentages were different, you'd have to do a little calculation, but in this case it is just 50/50 But I'd rather 66% too b/c I want my little guy to keep going

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#16 of 28 Old 01-25-2010, 11:53 PM

I am still nursing my 19 month old DD. When I was pregnant with DD I nursed her brother until the very end. I did not tandem nurse, I was glad that he was ready to be done because I did not like nursing an older toddler. I am not sure if I will tandem nurse or not, I will have to see how it plays out.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#17 of 28 Old 01-26-2010, 02:15 AM

My DS is 2.5 and we are still nursing several times a day. He is a big-time comfort nurser and I think nursing will really help him with the transition. Deep down I secretly hope he will wean himself but I think it is pretty unlikely knowing how much he loves it. I am trying to keep my heart open to whatever happens.
#18 of 28 Old 01-26-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Oh I hear you, MamaFern! My boobs have gone from a 38D as recently as August down to a barely-B. Hoping that this pregnancy boosts them back up, even if my milk supply will probably tank even more than it has recently... I was taking (am taking?) B6 to deal with prolactin/progesterone issues, which had the known effect of a little milk dry-up...but there's still enough there, according to DD. And according to her, it tastes like ice cream

aww!! your dd is a sweetie pie!
i can barely squeeze a drop from either breast these days. rue my baby still wants to nurse but gives up pretty quickly after a few back & forths. i have never had this happen except in pregnancy..so....

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#19 of 28 Old 01-26-2010, 07:55 PM

Go POAS, MamaFern!!!!!!!!!

#20 of 28 Old 01-26-2010, 07:58 PM

I am still producing a quite a bit I think. I know its not as much cause even though my breasts are bigger they are really soft instead of having all the firm ducts. Sorry to you ladies who are losing your milk already.

Cat married 4 yrs to DH DS '08 Early October 2010.
#21 of 28 Old 01-26-2010, 10:26 PM

I'm not pregnant yet am still waiting to o, but this time i do intend on sticking with breastfeeding through my pregnancy and the tandem feeding once junior arrives i felt guilty for giveing up so easy with my others, when i was pregnant with cameron i stopped breastfeeding chloe about 1-2 wks after i found partly because i didn't know any better and thought i was depriveing my unborn baby of nutrients but mainly because the hassle failiure to thrive where giving me telling me that because my dd was over 1 she didn't need breastmilk and should be drinking cows milk and they said she wasn't putting on enough weight because she was filling up on breastmilk now had i actually thought about it more i could of pointed this out 1)what benefit will switching from something specially designed to meet her nutritional needs to something that is meant for the nutritional needs of a baby cow do. 2) she was eating plenty anyway and her weight was (and still is) above the centile for her height. she was only breastfeeding once in the morning and once before bed and twice during the night anyway.
when i was pregnant with caitlin i managed to carry on breastfeeding till i was about 4 mths and then gave up through exahaustion, but cos cameron was only 11 1/2 months i've been feeling so guilty like i'm a terrible mum for depriveing him of what he needed especially as he was breastfed for the least amount of time and he is the one who has had quite a few ear infections
i stopped breastfeeding caitlin when she was about 26months (3 months into my pregnancy) because it was starting to hurt a lot and i was cringeing everytime she latched on.
i now know none of my reason where really valid ones so i am determined (hopefully with lot's of encouragement from all you lovely mummies) to get through it this time

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#22 of 28 Old 01-26-2010, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
No, you would exclude the ones who were weaned, and make the others your full set (100%). If the percentages were different, you'd have to do a little calculation, but in this case it is just 50/50 But I'd rather 66% too b/c I want my little guy to keep going
That's so interesting. I just got my bfp last night () after trying for a year. I was starting to feel like I might not get pregnant until I weaned, and now fortunately I don't have to worry about that (for now)! My dd is 3 and still pretty attached to nursing. Okay, scratch that. She's still REALLY attached to nursing. We night weaned her last time I was pregnant, and hopefully that will help everything feel okay during the day this time around.

I'm not sure whether we'll try to tandem or not. I'm definitely interested in learning more (and have the Adventures in Tandem Nursing book too). I'm a little worried that it will be SUPER hard (my dd is pretty intense and I can imagine her being possessive about "her" boobies); I most definitely don't want to wean her suddenly after the baby is born, so if we "try" to tandem and it's super hard, I'll just have to suck it up or something. That scares me.

But yeah, I have a hard time imagining what weaning would look like. And I was SO SO SO glad that I didn't wean last time I was pregnant (m/c at around 11 weeks) because I would have been so bummed to lose the pregnancy AND our nursing relationship around the same time. It would have felt like a total waste to have weaned her.

Sorry to babble...

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

#23 of 28 Old 01-26-2010, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyand3littlemonsters View Post
i now know none of my reason where really valid ones so i am determined (hopefully with lot's of encouragement from all you lovely mummies) to get through it this time
Well, I don't know. I think many reasons are valid, and we each have to do what we have to do to make it through each day! I'm definitely happy to cheer you on and support you, but I don't think you should beat yourself up for your past decisions--there's no "right" answer in mothering, you know? (Contrary to what all the books will tell you)

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

#24 of 28 Old 01-26-2010, 10:58 PM

I'm still nursing 8-16 times a day. DD is 15 months and a complete boob monster. I'm so done with it already, but I'm too tired to try and wean and deal with the meltdowns. It's rough, but she's such a comfort nurser.

obstruct livery vehicles

#25 of 28 Old 01-26-2010, 11:30 PM

My DD is still nursing but I too am definitely seeing that my milk supply is going down. In fact the first sign that I was pregnant was that my daughter's poop turned much more adult-like and away from the softer-better-smelling-breastfed baby poop. I am not super pleased that this is happening but I think she's determined enough to keep nursing through and I'll tandem them. We'll see how it happens though, as she's certainly old enough for me to feel she could wean herself, although I would never see that happening without the pregnancy as she's nursing 2-4 times at night plus another 6 times during the day at least.

Mama to DD1 4/08fly-by-nursing1.gif and DD2 10/10 bfinfant.gifcd.gifcat.gif
#26 of 28 Old 01-27-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Go POAS, MamaFern!!!!!!!!!
relly!
#27 of 28 Old 01-27-2010, 08:12 AM

My 22 month old son is still nursing all through the day and night. I really want to get him sleeping through the night, so that I can sleep through the night. I know that with this pregnancy exhaustion and nausea are coming. With 4 other little ones to care for, I think my only hope is some sleep at night.

I don't know where to start with weaning him. He will not like the idea at all. I am hoping some of you will have some suggestions.

My last 3 babies have all nursed throughout my pregnancies. I am not wanting to wean him entirely. I just really feel like I need a plan for getting some sleep.

Marti
Mother of DS9, DS7, DD4, DS1 and sweet baby in the womb.

Marti, Wife to DH of 10 years, Mother to DS9, DS8, DD5, DS2 and precious baby in my womb.
#28 of 28 Old 01-27-2010, 11:56 AM

We night weaned a little after 2.5, so I'm not sure how much of our experience will apply to your situation. How verbal is your DS? We found that setting a cue (in our case a light on a timer or an alarm clock) and saying that mommy's breasts went to sleep from bedtime until the alarm/light went on helped a lot because we could point to something concrete. We talked about it a lot during the day and reminded her at bedtime what would happen. There were a couple of bad 3am meltdowns, but DH really took the responsibility for those. Consistency was key, and within 3-4 nights, we were all set.

For us, night weaning was a very key step in TTC, since I had a luteal phase issue that was likely caused by nursing, and while I didn't want to wean, I did want to get something resembling my fertility back. That gave me some resolve to follow through. Once we started, we did not waffle.

Note well: night weaning did NOT lead to sleeping through the night in our case. It did cut down the number of night wakings from 3-5 to more like 1-3, though. I also turned all of those wakings over to DH in our efforts to get pregnant (if I was up with her, my morning temp was all over the place, and we needed good data for charting).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page