Mothering Forum banner

Creative ways to tell people

1K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  Honey693 
#1 ·
DH and I haven't told anyone and we're looking for a creative way to tell our parents. Any ideas?

#2 ·
No ideas, but I'm interested to hear what others have to say. DH's parents live about 2000 miles away, so I don't think we will be able to tell them in person. I was thinking of mailing them a cute card or a little memento. I dunno. I am not creative at all!

#3 ·
here are some ideas
if doing is a facebook status
------- is bakng a bun, it should be ready sometime in october

------- has planted a seed and in october it will emerge as a beautiful flower.

or if it's a first baby and your sending gifts how about grandma and grandad mugs for parents.

for 2nd time mummies to be yo could buy a t-shirt that says big brother/sister for your lo.

#4 ·
For my DH I am going to print off a picture of an Expedition and tell him I want him to check it out. I will give that to him tonight. We will have to get a new vehicle so that we all fit. That is the only thing I feel bad about. My DH LOVES his truck and we have only had it a year. I know that he will love a baby more though

For the extended family I was to get a shirt for DS. I am going to write on the front "Big Brother in Training" and on the back "Training Complete Oct. 2010". I will have him wear it when we are all together and send a picture to others. I don't want to tell for awhile yet though. This is out last baby so I want to enjoy our little secret.

Aimee

#5 ·
SO far I haven't come up with anything better than: "Hey guess what? I'm knocked up!" lol, not the most creative thing. If I can keep it in, we're going to tell both of our families on Friday, but I haven't come up with any witty way to do it yet.

#7 ·
Hmmm...not sure. My dh, bf, and sil already know. Dh's family will be happy for us, so we'll have to find a fun way to tell them. As for my family, my mom will be excited but the rest of my family already thinks we are overpopulating the world, so maybe I won't tell them at all!

When I was preggo with #3, I made a tshirt for ds that said, "I'm the BIG brother now" and put the due date. It was fun. Dh got home from work and it took him forever to even notice! He had held him and everything!

I think I'll do something fun for my mom too. She lives with us and will be back next week. I'll have to think of something fun.

#8 ·
I am DYING to tell my family (and DH doesn't even know yet! I'm waiting for him to get home from work. It's our first and I just can't tell him over the phone, you know?)... they all know we have been "wanting to have a baby soon", and I know they will be psyched. It will be my mom's first grandchild, and my grandparent's first (blood) great-grandchild, so pretty much any way I manage to present it will go over well, I know.

The in-laws, on the other hand... eh. My SILs will be thrilled. The youngest (16) just told me last month, "I'm not trying to boss you or anything, but get pregnant." lol. But MIL and especially FIL, not so sure. You see, my FIL has a genetic disability and doesn't think DH and I should have children. We don't think DH inherited it, but if he did, our kids could have it. I am afraid to make some big deal out of announcing it and him just walk out or something.

ETA: By first "blood" great-grandchild, I surely don't mean to indicate that their great-grandson-in-law isn't very much loved by them, or that he's not special to them because of that. It's more to do with the fact that he was a very unplanned child and, although he is the most wonderful boy, there is so much drama and uncertainty around ever getting to see him and such. This would be the first time they would get to participate with the pregnancy, see the newborn, etc. Just to be clear.

#9 ·
Well there is always the bun in the oven, or meal of "baby" foods...

Instead of buying a t-shirt for DS, I edited an image and overlaid a graphic so ds was wearing a "big brother" shirt in the picture. I emailed it to DH but he opened it on his iphone and couldn't read the words :p. My grandparents have a Presto and I thought about emailing the same photo to them, but I'm afraid they won't be able to read it either so I'll probably either call people, or show up pregnant at Easter, depending on when we decide to tell.

I liked the idea (from a thread in the Sept. DDC) of baking a superbowl cake with the due date, but most October ladies won't be ready to tell everyone by then.

#10 ·
Well, I'm still in the 2ww technically, and as of today got a BFN, but here's a few:
If I am, for DH, I will have DS2 (the "baby" at 19mo) wear DS1's old "Big Brother" shirt for when he gets home from work (if I don't explode and tell him as soon as he walks in the door).

Same for ILs, I'll just have him wear the shirt for them too...

For first timers: My SIL sent everyone a pic of the pregnancy test (with an obvious + on it)

To tell DH (or having family over for dinner could work too): Ask him to get the dish out of the oven and have a bun in there (hehe)

Ok, that's all I got...

#11 ·
My dad's birthday is later this month, so I made him a birthday card from my DS saying "There is one thing you can never have too many of........." Then you open it and it says "Grandkids!" and is signed by DS and Baby #2

For our friends, we are having a superbowl party and I'm taking a cake that will say 9-27 on it. Hopefully they will think it is our guess at the score or something before they figure it out.
(Thanks to Mae in the Sept. DDC for the suggestion...I totally dig it)

#12 ·
When I was pregnant with my first DS I had this great idea to tell my parents by giving them a baby frame with the words "Coming soon..." on a piece of paper framed inside. I had the frame and everything, but then totally just blurted it out to my mom on the phone so I never got to do it.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoulaLMT View Post
My dad's birthday is later this month, so I made him a birthday card from my DS saying "There is one thing you can never have too many of........." Then you open it and it says "Grandkids!" and is signed by DS and Baby #2
I love this idea!

#14 ·
I'm hoping to join y'all...but I'm only 1dpo so we'll see. Our idea if this is the month is to send those we want to know early Valentines from the baby ie Happy Valentines Day Nama and Papa- Love, Baby 10/2010. I can't say how I will tell my BFF because she is in the August DDC and I'd hate to ruin her surprise...if I can actually *make* it a surprise. I have a hard time...

For Dh's family we'd probably wait until on, 11/2010...no, no, probably until, May? Maybe tell them around Mother's Day...eh. Last time I was really pushing DH to tell them because I felt guilty that almost everyone else in our lives knew but it turns out DH was right to want to wait.

I don't know how I'll tell DH. Last time we met for coffee the morning I found out and I put the + test where he was going to sit. He said, "Is that yours?" which was not exactly the reaction I had expected.

Oh, maybe I'll send him balloons at work.

Wishing you ladies a happy and healthy 40 weeks!

Jenne

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoulaLMT View Post

I love this idea!! I may just steal it! My MIL has guessed both times with my other two before I could tell her creatively, and I always just called my parents...but this time, it would be fun to do something different. My MIL will be delighted because this will be #7 for her and she is in a race-to-the-death with her sister for who has the most grandkids (will we be like that when we're grandmas?) - this will put her in the lead and in the odds of winning, since Aunt's kids are all most likely finished w/ childbearing. It will be #4 for my parents.

#16 ·

Provided this is a sticky bean, we're waiting until the second tri to tell our parents and until after 20 weeks to tell everyone else. So, I have plenty of time to come up with ideas. Thanks to everyone for sharing. I'm so not creative with things like this!

#17 ·
We haven't done anything cutesy for the few people we've told (my mom, SIL, and sister) but may try to think of something clever for DP's parents.

For Facebook (whenever we feel comfortable telling that publicly) I think I'll update my status with:

"Lindsay had decided that she's going to be a mommy for Halloween this year!"

#18 ·
"____ is going to be a mommy for Halloween this year!"

That's great!
I've been trying to think of something Halloween related, since DH and I host an annual party -- obviously it won't be happening this year, unless (MAYBE, and doubtful) we decorate and have a potluck. I thought of making my status "We regret to inform you that there will be no H'ween party this year." Everyone's sure to ask why... because we'll have a newborn!

So I told my best friend since 2nd grade last night.
She's due with her second in 3 weeks. Since she and DH know I don't feel so frantic to yell it at every human I see.

Oh, and, we decided on how to tell the in-laws. My SIL's birthday is coming up, so we're going to wrap up a positive test (or a picture of one!) as a "gift." That way the focus will be on her (since we KNOW she'll be thrilled) and my FIL can hopefully disappear quietly if he has nothing nice to say.

#20 ·
With my son Jack I told my dad by asking him if he wanted to see a cool picture...then we handed him an US pic...we did IVF so we had US pics from very early on...with my second we got Jack an "I'm going to be a Big Brother" shirt. This time around...we are getting Liam a shirt that says "I am the Big Brother" and Jack a shirt that says "I am the Bigger Brother"

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyndzies View Post

"Lindsay had decided that she's going to be a mommy for Halloween this year!"

I LOVE this!! LOL!!!!!

I'm pretty sure I ovulated today...so hopefully I'll be joining this DDC! That would be a GREAT line to use!!

#22 ·
In my 2WW but I posted an idea over in the Lurkers thread so I will repost here

I want to get a black shirt and then get "Waiting on our little ghost or ghoul"
or just "Ghost or Ghoul?" but have the writing in white letters with the "o" in ghost be an orange male symbol and the "o" in ghoul be an orange female symbol...

Or

Instead of "I am now the Big Brother/Sister" I also thought putting "Middle child" on a shirt...

We had done the Big Sister shirt for DD1 when we were ready to tell everyone and we told my parents first but we put the shirt on, and then the coat and then dropped her off and ran before they could get the coat off (we had to go somewhere really quick) and the entire time we were gone I was waiting for a phone call... and NONE came... so we went back... There is DD1 running around in this Big Sister shirt and they say NOTHING!.... For THREE (3!) hours!!!! Finally Dh said "DD1 did you show your grandparents your shirt?" and finally my parents both cracked into huge smiles and said FINALLY... apparently they wanted to play our "sly" game too

DH's aunts we did the same thing but we never left and his one aunt said "Really?" and I said "Yep, we are getting a dog!"
she believed me... lol she had to call a few days later to ask if we were kidding...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.