Oct 2010 PAL Mamas Check-in - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 71 Old 01-25-2010, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I see that a number of us have had previous losses and thus have a whole host of unique issues we'll be dealing with during our pregnancies. Please join me here in a safe haven for those of us hoping for cuddly rainbow babies in October. I'm so sorry for your loss(es) and so happy you're here with a new life and hope

Please introduce yourself:
Name: Steph
Due Date: October 7
# of losses: 1 (11/09 at 10 weeks, possible blighted ovum)
Living Children: DS, 2yo
How are you feeling?: I just realized I left this blank That pretty much describes it. I'm so happy, but my temps are worrying me and I'm wondering if we didn't try again too soon and I'm just a big ball of nerves.
Bloodwork: Still undecided on whether I want betas & progesterone levels drawn. Our insurance changed at the beginning of the year and DH didn't tell me until after conception, so any blood work will be out of pocket.
Ultrasound scheduled?: We don't plan on having routine ultrasounds.

If there's any other questions you think should be added, let me know. Also, feel free to add any other personal info or reflections.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#2 of 71 Old 01-25-2010, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for posting this thread (and congrats to you again!).

Name: Lindsay
Due Date: October 4
# of losses: 1 in 7/09 - very early (5wks) m/c
Living Children: 0
How are you feeling?: I'm feeling absolutely elated. I'm trying to stay cautiously optimistic, but never saw a positive digi before, so that's helping me keep my hopes up. Still, I've got light cramping, and that makes me nervous. But then I look at my giant sore boobs, and feel a little more confident again!
Bloodwork: Had blood drawn on Friday, at 11dpo after my positive digi on 10dpo but the doc's negative dipstick. Have taken 3 more tests since then (2 FRER and 1 digi) all blaringly positive, so I'm not TOOOOO worried about this pregnancy being confirmed. I am anxious to hear my numbers, though. I should know sometime this afternoon.
Ultrasound scheduled?: Can't lie - would love to have one when it's time to see the little bean with my own two eyes.

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#3 of 71 Old 01-25-2010, 01:04 PM

Name: Jami
Due Date: October 4
# of losses: 3, 5/02 (dd1 2/03) - 12/05 (dd2 11/06) - 9/09
Living Children: 2 dds
How are you feeling?: physically i am feeling pregnant, emotionally i am feeling super cautious. as much as i am trying to enjoy each day it's still hard for me at this point to look to far into the future.
Bloodwork: Not sure, I'm leaning towards no but we'll see after i talk with my midwife
Ultrasound scheduled?: again, unless midwife urges us towards one, we don't plan on it

Wife to DH (9/02) Homeschooling Mama to DD1 (2/03) DD2 (11/06) DD3(9/10)

#4 of 71 Old 01-25-2010, 01:13 PM

Name: Cat
Due Date: October 2
# of losses: 3 #1 at 11 1/2 weeks #2 at 11 1/2 weeks #3 at 7 weeks
Living Children: DS, 20 months
How are you feeling?: excited
Bloodwork: just the HCG one.
Ultrasound scheduled?: we will be finding out the sex at like 22 weeks DH wants to know before he leaves.

Cat married 4 yrs to DH DS '08 Early October 2010.
#5 of 71 Old 01-25-2010, 01:24 PM

Name: Anne
Due Date: Oct. 4
# of losses: One, August 2009. A surprise but welcome pregnancy. Miscarried at 8 weeks (baby stopped developing earlier, though).
Living Children: 1, DD (20 months)
How are you feeling?: Numb. My first two pregnancies happened without effort, but this one took four months. And now that I have my BFP, I'm reeling. I have NO symptoms right now. I feel totally normal. And I'm scared as heck I'll lose this baby.
Bloodwork: Need to call my midwife and see what she says.
Ultrasound scheduled?: Not yet, but I wouldn't say no to an early one.

Anne - Wife to DH, mom to DD (5/08) and DS (10/10).
#6 of 71 Old 01-25-2010, 05:44 PM

Thank you for starting this thread. I hope we are all together for the next 9 (+) months

Name: Cindy

Due Date: Sept 30 (so sometime in October

# of losses: 3 The first was at 22 weeks due to a placental abruption in June of 08. #2 was an ectopic discovered a 6 weeks in November 08. In April of 09 I had surgery to remove my left tube. After 6 months of trying with one-tube, I got pregnant in December 09 and then miscarried at 5 weeks. I didn't even have a period between the last pregnancy and this one; I was only not pregnant for about 2 weeks (I missed my window to go skiing or ice skating LOL)

Living Children: DD, 5 y/o

How are you feeling?: Physically I feel horrible so hurrah for that! Emotionally I feel happy and joyous and full of hope. I "should" know better, but so far I'm throwing caution to the wind. With all my losses (especially the first one at 22 weeks), I didn't regret for a moment the love I felt for my baby, so I'm gonna love it like mad for as long as I can.

Bloodwork: Yes, I'm doing it. Even though I've only had one miscarriage (technically as the others were something else), given my history and my one tube, I'm gonna get these levels checked. I'm still undecided on the early ultrasound.

Other Don't get me wrong, my losses were by far the hardest thing I've gone through. I would never wish it on anyone and I'd give just about anything to have my baby girl Daisy here with me. Yet, in a weird way they have felt like a blessing to me. I have learned so much about myself and I've become more spiritual. DH and I are closer to each other as he has been my hero in ways I'd never have asked him to be. I'm also a better mom. After my first loss, I promised that I would be the best mom I could to the children I have with me on this earth.

Hugs to all of us.

Happy Mom of Maeve (6). Always missing my DD2 Daisy (22 weeks--June 2008). After an ectopic at 6 wks (11/08) and a miscarriage at 5 wks (12/09), Rainbow Baby Finn is here (10/3/10)
#7 of 71 Old 01-28-2010, 04:31 PM

Name: Andy

Due Date: October 10

# of losses: 3 early, early - Spring 07, Spring 08, Fall 09. They were all over before they even started.

Living Children: 8 yo giant dog, 2 yo small dog, 12 yo fat and not-as-fat cats

How are you feeling?: Thrilled. Terrified. Thrilled. Ecstatic. Petrified. Completely convinced everything will be fine. Completely convinced that everything will be terrible. Rinse, repeat.

Bloodwork: First beta at 14 days post retrieval (Tuesday) - 99.7, 2nd beta and progesterone 72 hours later (Tomorrow)

Ultrasound scheduled?: Feb 4th at 5 w 2d to find out if there's one or two and make sure everyone is in the uterus and not somewhere else. I know it'll be too early for a heartbeat, so I'll have one a week or two later for that.

I'm also on progesterone, Endometrin, 100 mg/3X/day, which is normal for IVF. I transferred two embryos on January 15.

I think I'm doubly cursed by the early losses, the long TTC journey (been at this since March '07, started the testing in December '06), and the IVF.

I'm having a lot of trouble trusting this, and I still haven't really joined the DDC because I'm afraid of what could happen.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#8 of 71 Old 01-28-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtMPapa View Post
I'm having a lot of trouble trusting this, and I still haven't really joined the DDC because I'm afraid of what could happen.
I know what you mean, Papa, but still... am so glad to see you on "this side." Looking forward to good beta results for you tomorrow!!

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#9 of 71 Old 01-28-2010, 10:24 PM

Name: Misti
Due Date: October 3

# of losses: 2 (12/06, blighted ovum at 8 weeks) (3/07, partial mole at 10 weeks)

Living Children:Nicolas, 10...Noah, 7...and Shelby, 20 months

How are you feeling?: We weren't TTC. I was actually on NuvaRing, and my scrip ran out before I could get to the clinic on base and get it filled...and well, now here we are I'm feeling pretty good about all of it. I don't have the feelings of fear and dread I did when we first got pregnant with Shelby (after the losses) but I think that is partly because of time passing, and also because I do have 3 living healthy children. I'm just not stressing at this point.

Bloodwork: No, we're not going to run any bloodwork. I have not established care at this point, and I still need to call the clinic and do that. We'll see if I feel the urge to schedule it after I call.

Ultrasound scheduled?: We'll probably get an early ultrasound, just to put my poor husband's fears to rest. We will also have the 20 week anatomy scan, most likely.

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#10 of 71 Old 01-29-2010, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Papa, I got my betas the same days as you! for both of us!

I ended up deciding to get HCG and progesterone levels checked, after an argument with DH resulting from a misunderstanding. He thought because I had said in the past that I didn't want to get them checked, that I wanted him to stop me from doing it even though I was now expressing interest. While I appreciated his loyalty, I had genuinely changed my mind and needed the reassurance. These early days are so emotional

I had the first draw Tuesday afternoon and as of 5pm yesterday, the birth center hadn't received the results yet. I expect them some time today. I went early this morning to get the second draw and am really hoping to get those results Tuesday. Until then, I'm watching the BFPs get darker and keeping a very close eye on my temps.

#11 of 71 Old 01-31-2010, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Wanted to bump this thread for any new PAL mamas. Feel free to chat here or ask questions, too

AFM, I got my beta results back yesterday:
* Tuesday, January 26: HCG - 90.1 Progesterone - 34.27
* Friday, January 29: HCG - 278.6 Progesterone - 25.95
My doubling time was 38.1 hours

#12 of 71 Old 01-31-2010, 04:12 PM

Sihaya - sounds good!

AFM - I'm going in for beta # 3 tomorrow morning, I awoke cramping this morning, and I discovered I was spotting around 11:30. It got worse for a bit, then it slowed dramatically, maybe even stopped, but I am still cramping.

I don't know if these babies are going to make it, and I'm very scared. I had just started to get into being pregnant, a week after my positive test.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#13 of 71 Old 01-31-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I'm going in for beta # 3 tomorrow morning, I awoke cramping this morning, and I discovered I was spotting around 11:30. It got worse for a bit, then it slowed dramatically, maybe even stopped, but I am still cramping.

I don't know if these babies are going to make it, and I'm very scared. I had just started to get into being pregnant, a week after my positive test.
Papa, I'm thinking crazy positive thoughts for you. FWIW, I have also been experiencing some mild cramping.

I wonder if some spotting/cramping can be explained by IVF? I really am holding out tons of hope for your little beans.

Please update us tomorrow. xoxo

#14 of 71 Old 01-31-2010, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Name: Katie
Due Date: October 7
# of losses: 2, ectopic loss at 5 weeks (that almost killed me) and then our son died for unknown reasons at 14 weeks (we didn't find out till 2 weeks later, I delivered him the next day)
How are you feeling: Nervous, scared, afraid to be too optimistic. Physically okay, mild naseua and some fatigue.
Bloodwork: I'll be getting hcg checks every couple days until I can have an early u/s to verify baby is not ectopic.
Ultrasound scheduled? Not yet! But I will definitely be at least one around 8 weeks and then again around 20 weeks, and probably one at the end to check the thickness of the lower segment of my uterus.
#15 of 71 Old 02-01-2010, 09:25 PM

Beta was good!

Still no spotting or cramping since early afternoon yesterday, and I walked the dogs for over an hour today and forty five minutes yesterday, no problem! YAY!

1st beta - Tuesday Jan 26 - 100

2nd beta - Friday Jan 29 - 459

3rd beta - Monday Feb 1 - 1835

So, the first doubling time is 32 hours, the second is 36, which are both totally fine.

Anyone else having any early pregnancy freak outs? No more betas for me, the next thing is the ultrasound around the 12th.

I awoke this morning just feeling like everything was going to be Ok, and it was. My hope is restored.

Katie

#16 of 71 Old 02-01-2010, 11:43 PM

Name: Dirkey
Due Date: October 12
# of losses: 1 (09/09)
Living Children: nope
How are you feeling?: I'm feeling positive, waiting on little milestones.
Bloodwork: got my hcg done today not sure about the progesterone yet.
Ultrasound scheduled?: not yet probably in about 6 weeks.

Happily married, crunchy mama crazy in love with our little man, Bam bam (10/5/10) due aug 2014 with our rainbow bean missing our 3 angel babies (9/09, 7/12, 12/12)
#17 of 71 Old 02-02-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
So, the first doubling time is 32 hours, the second is 36, which are both totally fine.

Anyone else having any early pregnancy freak outs? No more betas for me, the next thing is the ultrasound around the 12th.

I awoke this morning just feeling like everything was going to be Ok, and it was. My hope is restored.
This is SUCH great news, Papa! So happy for you and the kidlet(s).

I'm not having any "for real" reasons to freak out. But yesterday for the first time I really started loosing it because I had this horrible premonition that this pregnancy was going to end abruptly. I have actually no logical or reasonable explanation other than my own insecurity at that moment.

I'm feeling better today, though. I guess this is just what happens when you've had a previous loss. Just when you think you're able to let go and be truly excited, you start to worry. I hope it goes away!

No more tests for me, until the first ultrasound. Not sure when that will be. I have an appointment w/ the midwife next Tuesday, so I'm sure we'll discuss my options then. I didn't originally want an early u/s, but I would at least like to see the heartbeat now to calm my fears a little.

#18 of 71 Old 02-03-2010, 02:33 PM

Name: Elizabeth
Due Date: October 13
# of losses: 1 (Dec 08 at 4 weeks)
Living Children: 0
How are you feeling?: excited but nervous, trying not to get my hopes up too much, but I have a better feeling about this time around
Bloodwork: ?
Ultrasound scheduled?: Just found out yesterday so I haven't even called the doctor yet. On one hand I don't think routine ultrasounds are necessary, but on the other I kind of want to know, you know?

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#19 of 71 Old 02-03-2010, 02:54 PM

My first hcg was 56.47, had my second draw today and I'm hoping the results will be in by this afternoon. Glad everyone else's levels are looking good

I went to our local miscarriage support group last night. It was good to hear that feeling terrified and neurotic is normal! I want to enjoy whatever time I get with this baby but it's so hard to do that when I'm so scared of losing it
#20 of 71 Old 02-06-2010, 01:32 AM

Name: Melly
Due Date: October 20
# of losses: 3. Chemical in July '09 which dragged on for ages (my HCG levels were rising but oh so slowly for a couple of weeks), 6 week miscarriage in November '09 and another chemical in January '10.
Living Children: DD who will be 2 on Feb 20
How are you feeling?: I'm so so happy to be preg. I have a good feeling about this one but I remember saying that about the loss in November. At the same time I am really really nervous and think about miscarriage several times a day. I'd love to have my pregnancy innocence back, yk? But without those losses I wouldnt have gone on to learn what I have about the reproductive system and know my body indepth like I do now.
Bloodwork: I dunno yet. I wasnt planning on having any but part of me would like to reassurance it brings. So we'll see.
Ultrasound scheduled?: We will have one anatomy scan at 18-20 weeks.

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#21 of 71 Old 02-06-2010, 11:20 AM

Name: Jenne
Due Date: October 17
# of losses: 1 on 10/17/09 at 9 weeks- probably a blighted ovum (my guess)
Living Children: Not yet
How are you feeling?: I'm not even 24 hours into this pregnancy yet so I'm still stunned but finding it easy to embrace (which is a relief!). I don't "feel" particularly pregnant--tired is about all. I'm sure it will come though.
Bloodwork: I doubt I will. We did the whole beta and progesterone thing last time because the RE requested it. I'm not nervous now (who knows what the future will bring though) and know that the bloodwork just means things are okay in the moment. So, not planning on it is the short answer.
Ultrasound scheduled?: We will do one around 20 weeks to make sure everything is lovely and find out if we are having a pony or a puppy.

Thank you so much for starting this thread! I'm so sorry anyone is here but I'm so thankful to be here with other mamas and papas who've been there. I worry about freaking people out. The day I went for my Rhogam shot after the loss I was discussing what I needed with the nurse but out in the line to check-in. The woman in front of me in line turned and said, "Oh, you are 13 weeks too? So am I!" I said, "No, because my loss was prior to 13 weeks I can have the mini-rhogam shot." She didn't say a word and just turned back around. I felt bad--not because I was upset but because clearly *she* was upset. Loss of any type is so hard and I so believe in honesty but I also don't want to worry others nor freak them out.

How do y'all answer the pregnancy number question??? This is always so hard for me. I answered on the roll call 2nd pregnancy 1st child. Is there a less dramatic way to say that while still being honest?

I wish everyone a happy and healthy 40 weeks!
Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#22 of 71 Old 02-06-2010, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Jenne, I am so so happy to see you in our DDC! Sad you're here, but happy you're pg again I remember you from way way back in the day in the NMY thread.

I skirt the pg # question when I can by answering that this will be our second child. Right after my m/c in Nov. a lot of people who didn't know about it would ask if we were planning to have another soon and I was honest with them that we'd just had a loss and were going to be trying again soon.

#23 of 71 Old 02-08-2010, 12:43 PM

Hello, Sihaya! So nice to see a familiar face!

Okay, can I just say it sucks that no two pregnancies are alike. This would be so much easier if I could compare symptoms with any sort of accuracy. I keep having to tell myself that I'm lucky this time my breasts aren't giant lumps of pain rather than thinking something is wrong. Of course, the throwing up twice a day is new so I guess that helps.

Anyone else still testing?

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#24 of 71 Old 02-08-2010, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
Anyone else still testing?
That'd be me! Testing every Monday and Thursday so my pack of 20 ICs will last me until 12 weeks when we will listen for the heartbeat. I know it's ridiculous, but boy was it nice to see that line show up immediately this morning and end up way darker than the control line.

#25 of 71 Old 02-08-2010, 03:56 PM

When I tested the first time I bought a pack of 2, so I went ahead and took the extra one a few days later. I've also had 4 hcg draws! Those are because of my previous ectopic, though. Still waiting on the results of today's, but so far they've been good.
#26 of 71 Old 02-08-2010, 04:13 PM

I want to test again, but DP says not to "waste" the money.

Grrr. She obviously isn't understanding where I'm coming from.

Then again, it seems as though nausea has officially begun for me, so that is somewhat reassuring.

#27 of 71 Old 02-08-2010, 07:17 PM

I'm still testing. Not at home.

I had my fourth hcG draw on Friday.

I know them by heart - Jan 26, 100. Jan 29, 459. Feb 1, 1,830. Feb 5, 6,816.

The first was the 14 DPO test, the second was the 72 hour follow up, the third was because I had spotting the day before, the 4th was because I went to midwife practice and they were running a bunch of other stuff, so they threw it in too.

My first ultrasound is on Thursday, I'll see the heartbeat(s), I can relax. That's what I'm telling myself.

Lyndzies - I get where you're coming from. Right there with ya. Spend the money.

I actually haven't taken any two-line tests this cycle, just the two digitals at home, one on 12 DPO and one the morning of the first beta, just to make sure. I do kind of want to take one just so I can take it out to look at every so often. I make do with the pics of my first digital. But I might buy one, just 'cuz.

#28 of 71 Old 02-08-2010, 07:39 PM

I nearly bought another test today at the supermarket, but bought anchovies instead. Weird. Saw them and *had* to have them. I have no idea what I'm even going to do with them. I remember craving anchovies with DD's pregnancy too. In fact a lot of symptoms this pregnancy are the same as DD's. Which is somewhat reassuring.

I dont know whether to go and get my HCG levels checked. Part of me wants that reassurance, but another part doesnt want to stress/worry over numbers. Like if they dont exactly double then I'll worry, when everything might be OK. But I know that if the numbers are doubling or even more so, then I'll feel awesome! what's everyone else doin?

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#29 of 71 Old 02-08-2010, 10:09 PM

Name: Gen
Due Date: October 8
# of losses: 1 (11/09 at 10 weeks)
Living Children: DS, 20 months
How are you feeling?: I'm so excited but at the same time really worried. I can't go through another m/c
Bloodwork: no
Ultrasound scheduled?: Feb 25th... I didn't want an U/S so early but since the m/c I changed my mind. I want to be reassured.

I want to wish good luck to all of us!!!
#30 of 71 Old 02-08-2010, 10:18 PM

Lindzies...I've been testing like cazy with the $ tree tests. They only cost a $ so I don't feel like I'm wasting too much money. I figured...since a regular test cost 10-12$, I can test 10-12 times

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page