Exercisers! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 01-26-2010, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Anybody want to have an accountability thread?

Last time, I was a big wuss and I really could have benefited from the alignment and flexibility. This pregnancy I want to keep exercising all the way through in the hopes of being more comfortable at the end, and recovering more quickly after birth.

I'm doing mostly pilates right now, as much as possible for the next 7 weeks and then I'll be slowly changing over to prenatal yoga.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 61 Old 01-26-2010, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am running and doing weights every other day. I just received a yoga DVD in the mail and will be trying that out tomorrow.

I am usually pretty good about staying fit while pregnant. I think it makes so much difference towards the end and at delivery.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#3 of 61 Old 01-26-2010, 01:17 AM

This sounds good. With my last pregnancy I slacked off once the nausea hit and didn't get back into it until 15 weeks or so. I'd like to keep going this time especially since I signed up for an indoor triathalon in February.

obstruct livery vehicles

#4 of 61 Old 01-26-2010, 01:31 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I'm in! I was doing really well with T-Tapp right up until a few days after O. Now I haven't exercised in about 10 days and I'd really like to get back into it. I'd also like to start doing a yoga video at home once a week.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#5 of 61 Old 01-26-2010, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For sure! I just got serious about dropping my extra 50 pounds then got a surprise BFP! I'm not going to quit now. I'm going to do what I can to keep losing, safely of course!
I do curves 3 days per week then a variety of videos/wii fit/etc at home the other days.

Life is to be enjoyed...not just endured!
#6 of 61 Old 01-26-2010, 01:41 AM

I did weights throughout my pregnancy with DS. I've since taken up doing CrossFit and follow the workout-of-the-day on crossfitmoms.com Good stuff!

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#7 of 61 Old 01-26-2010, 07:06 AM

Sounds like a great idea! I'm hoping to do my 30 day shred DVD (only level 1) as long as possible, minus the ab work (those will just have to wait...my tummy is going to be a MESS after this...it's still a wreck from my last pg), plus I have a prenatal yoga DVD that I'll do on off days. I'm also going to do my best to keep going on walks w/ my girls outdoors every day - or as much as possible.

I really need to not totally let myself go this time around. I had 30lbs to lose before I found out about this babe, need to not pile on another 30 on top of that.

#8 of 61 Old 01-26-2010, 11:19 AM

i'm in! i'll be doing yoga at least 3 times a week and lots of walking once the weather warms up again

Wife to DH (9/02) Homeschooling Mama to DD1 (2/03) DD2 (11/06) DD3(9/10)

#9 of 61 Old 01-26-2010, 01:53 PM

I'm in, too. I really didn't think this would all work out on our first cycle, so I'd just started doing some HIIT and weights. I think I can lower the intensity as needed and keep up both for a good long while. Also I hope to do some yoga regularly, and lots of walking! With this and our new paleo-ish diet, I really might be in better shape postpartum than I am now!

As an aside, has anyone done Julie Tupler's Maternal Fitness routine? Supposedly it really helps prevent/lessen diastasis. The Amazon reviews are quite positive about it working, but who knows?

treehugger.gif SAHM with a precious toddler and the love of my life, expecting a new little one July 2014!
#10 of 61 Old 01-26-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTlover View Post
As an aside, has anyone done Julie Tupler's Maternal Fitness routine? Supposedly it really helps prevent/lessen diastasis. The Amazon reviews are quite positive about it working, but who knows?
I haven't done it, but have heard about it and am interested in it. Is what you're talking about for during pg or after the birth? I subscribed to this thread a while back meaning to read through it at some point, but then got pg unexpectedly in Sept and never got around to it after my m/c.

#11 of 61 Old 01-26-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
I haven't done it, but have heard about it and am interested in it. Is what you're talking about for during pg or after the birth? I subscribed to this thread a while back meaning to read through it at some point, but then got pg unexpectedly in Sept and never got around to it after my m/c.
Yeah, that's it! I have the Maternal Fitness book, which is for preg, and there is also the Lose Your Mummy Tummy one for PP (which they are discussing in that thread). I know in MF there are a lot of exercises focused on making the abs both flexible and strong. It looks effective. She's also big on kegels and pelvic tilts. The "basic" part you're supposed to do every day only takes about 5 minutes, so hopefully I'll stick with it.

treehugger.gif SAHM with a precious toddler and the love of my life, expecting a new little one July 2014!
#12 of 61 Old 01-26-2010, 02:21 PM

I am in. I am just walking a couple miles a day with Ds in the Stroller. He loves it and so do I. Last pregnancy I could tell I was alot better off during labor from my evening walks.

Also when I get back home I will be swimming a couple of times a week but that wont be untill june.

Cat married 4 yrs to DH DS '08 Early October 2010.
#13 of 61 Old 01-26-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's it! I have the Maternal Fitness book, which is for preg, and there is also the Lose Your Mummy Tummy one for PP (which they are discussing in that thread). I know in MF there are a lot of exercises focused on making the abs both flexible and strong. It looks effective. She's also big on kegels and pelvic tilts. The "basic" part you're supposed to do every day only takes about 5 minutes, so hopefully I'll stick with it.
Thanks! I didn't know she had one for during pg. I already do kegels daily, but I requested that book through Inter-library Loan to see what else is involved.

I just finished the T-Tapp walking workout for today. I want to try to do it three times a week, other T-Tapp exercises (but not full workouts) three other days a week, and yoga on Sundays, which is my day off from T-Tapp.

#14 of 61 Old 01-26-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
I just finished the T-Tapp walking workout for today. I want to try to do it three times a week, other T-Tapp exercises (but not full workouts) three other days a week, and yoga on Sundays, which is my day off from T-Tapp.
At the risk of sounding completely out of the loop, I don't think I've ever heard of T-Tapp before. I found a couple of videos on YouTube and it looks interesting, though. Have you been doing it long? Is it really effective?

#15 of 61 Old 01-26-2010, 11:13 PM

I read her book this summer and it seemed perfect for me. It's supposed to help balance hormones and since I've dealt with hypothyroidism in the past, it really appealed to me. I've been doing it on and off since then and really enjoy it. I've been able to lose inches pretty quickly considering I'm not concerned about losing inches and don't have much to lose The main reason I do it is to keep my hormones balanced, increase energy, and stay active. I would definitely recommend it. I was able to get her book from the library and try out some of the moves before I decided to buy one of her videos.

#16 of 61 Old 01-26-2010, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

What a great group already! I'm totally excited to stay fit this pregnancy.

Stupidly, I went and tweaked my shoulder already today. Hopefully it sorts itself out quickly. Good lesson to stop sooner rather than later once the relaxin starts kicking in.

I'm going to see if I can find Maternal Fitness at my library this week.

#17 of 61 Old 01-26-2010, 11:54 PM

I did weights today and tomorrow is biathlon training day 2 and 40 minutes of yoga (yuck).

obstruct livery vehicles

#18 of 61 Old 01-28-2010, 04:16 AM

i'm in!

i had gotten back into doing yoga 5 days a week again, and was intending on adding on swimming laps three times a week shortly. i'd like to keep both up for as long as possible. i'm woefully out of shape and was intending on working on shedding these extra fifty pounds to distract myself from a possibly long and frustrating ttc journey. :-)

christina

meafro.jpg, and dhyikes2.gif, -- parenting joy.gifsince 2004, and bouncy.gif since 2007.
"IF YOU ARE NOT OUTRAGED, THEN YOU ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION." signcirc1.gif
#19 of 61 Old 01-28-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafemmedesfemmes View Post
... was intending on working on shedding these extra fifty pounds to distract myself from a possibly long and frustrating ttc journey. :-)

christina
Ditto. I tend to fixate on things and definitely didn't want to be obsessive about TTC, so I've been upping my workouts, switching to a "primal"-ish diet (not just for weight loss), and generally trying to lose some weight to keep me distracted.

And I forgot about swimming! I'll definitely be doing lots of that once it warms up...

#20 of 61 Old 01-28-2010, 02:42 PM

So...about that accountability....I haven't worked out once this week!
I'm too lazy to get out of bed in the mornings. I'm going to revamp my schedule though and get to bed earlier, so I can get back to my early morning routine. I feel so much better when I get up early, workout, and have my own quiet time before everyone else wakes up. Plus...I can always nap with the little on in the afternoons if I need to.

How's everyone else doing?

#21 of 61 Old 01-28-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmBam View Post
How's everyone else doing?
The planning is going great!

The execution of said plans, not so much.

If the weather holds out I'm going to walk a couple of miles today, though. Then yoga or I might try that T-Tapp thing. Hmm...

#22 of 61 Old 01-28-2010, 02:57 PM

AmBam If you need a fire lit under you, just let us know and we'll try to motivate you

AFM, I'm doing well so far. I'm only on day 3 of trying, though. T-Tapp has a 3-minute mini-workout that increases energy levels and balances glucose levels. I did three of them yesterday, 9am, 3pm, and 9pm. Today I'll be doing the walking workout and aiming for 5 mini-workouts at 9am, noon, 3pm, 6pm, and 9pm. It's easier for me to get them done if I assign them very specific times instead of doing all 5 right before bed It's nearly noon here, so I better go get that second one in!

#23 of 61 Old 01-28-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
The planning is going great!

The execution of said plans, not so much.
LOL! At least I have someone in the same boat as me!

Has anyone ever lost weight in their first few weeks of prengnacy? And not because of morning sickness? I'd really like to keep losing a few pounds. I'm eating healthy and getting enough. I'm not doing anything drastic, but if I could continue to lose a little that would be wonderful!

#24 of 61 Old 01-28-2010, 05:06 PM

...What AmBam said.

I guess I'm kind of hoping to keep losing a bit, too. I'm not (intentionally) cutting calories, but I've lost about 6lbs over the past couple of weeks just halfway switched over to a primal diet. I'm trying to get more serious about it since I think it'll be great for a healthy pregnancy, and, um, I wouldn't exactly be upset if a few more pounds decided to ship out, too.

#25 of 61 Old 01-28-2010, 05:32 PM

I am still working out every other day! Running did not feel good on the ligament down there. I ended up doing the EFX machine for a half an hour.

I am still hoping to loose some inches around my thighs. I think it is doable since I am not having sweets or red wine as often.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#26 of 61 Old 01-29-2010, 01:18 AM

I did weights today, but no cardio. Hopefully i can get my butt up early and go to the gym before our lunch playdate. DD has been waking up a bit earlier than normal so I'm hoping we can get there and give me enough time to do a decent workout..

obstruct livery vehicles

#27 of 61 Old 01-30-2010, 06:53 AM

i'd like to join in with you guys. I have never been an exerciser. i could tell after my last pregnancy that i should have exercised a lot more. so, i really want to get fit during this one.
i worked out with the Ten Minute Solution: Target Toning dvd today. I did the thighs and the arms. i'm gonna have to check out that maternal fitness book though.
good luck mamas!

Chelsea, Christian, Wife to Trey, Mommy to Oliver (11/3/2005), Abner (5/01/2008) and Baby #3 ( Due 9/27/2010)
#28 of 61 Old 01-30-2010, 07:03 AM

also, has anyone tried the Summer Sanders' Prenatal Workout. It has great reviews on Amazon and I'm thinking about ordering it

Chelsea, Christian, Wife to Trey, Mommy to Oliver (11/3/2005), Abner (5/01/2008) and Baby #3 ( Due 9/27/2010)
#29 of 61 Old 01-31-2010, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

I'm doing really well I've been re-invigorated by this thread and have the sore muscles to prove it

I did try to snowboard on Friday, but had no balance at all from the m/s and felt like it was totally dangerous and came straight down. I was very disappointed because I thought I'd have a few more weeks to ride safely, but possibly not. I still have hiking a few days a week, and I'm going to take up x-country skiing this week to have another safe outdoor activity. Hopefully I'll like it and be moderately successful because I really don't want to be stuck inside the rest of the winter.

I also got a couple pilates pregnancy books from the library so I have great new ideas for modifications as I get bigger. My library also has a t-tapp book with software available that I put on hold and will check out this week.

In my first pregnancy, I did keep losing weight in the early weeks. I actually only gained 21 lbs total, and was below my pre-pregnancy weight by 3 weeks post-partum. And this is just me and my body, but I did end up damaging my liver and causing permanent issues. Some of the issue was also illness that really stressed my body, but just remember that when you lose fat, you end up circulating toxins that need to come out. Eat really well, drink well, take epsom salts baths, etc.

#30 of 61 Old 01-31-2010, 10:58 AM

XM, The CD that comes with the T-Tapp book is actually a DVD with a few different exercises on it. You can't do the laying-down one while pregnant, but the Hoe Downs are awesome!

I'm still doing pretty well. Did my walking workout Tues, Thurs, and yesterday. Doing Hoe Downs (a ridiculous name, but a great exercise) 5-6 times/day every day. Feeling active and good while also still feeling pregnant

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page