HCG levels - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-26-2010, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey ladies! I am hoping to join you. I tested positive yesterday and went in to see my OB to start progesterone due to recurrent miscarriages. She drew my hcg and it came back at 25. I think yesterday was 11-12 DPO. I go back in for another draw on Thursday morning, and I know that what we need is for the number to double. But, does that number sound super low for that many DPO, or does it sound normal? Can anyone post the numbers they have/have had?

I would be due October 8th, which is my father's birthday. I am hoping that this one sticks around. I have a DD who is adopted and turns 3 in Feb. and a DS who is bio and is turning 2 in Feb. I have had three miscarriages so far and so I am a nervous wreck anytime I get pregnant. TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 04:26 PM

Hi mama! Congrats on your pregnancy and welcome!

I had a beta on 11dpo and my HCG was 47. However, that doesn't not mean yours is low... it really depends when your little poppyseed implanted. Me, it looks like 4-5 dpo. If you implanted later, your HCG would obviously be lower.

I've read that it's not the number that matters, it's the doubling time. Will you be having a repeat draw? (I had one today.)

for a sticky bean!!!

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:27 PM

I'm not really sure, but a quick google search came back with this:
http://www.babynames.org.uk/pregnancy/hgc-levels.htm

According to that, it sounds fine. I am pretty sure doubling is more important than the levels. Sending sticky dust your way!

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
Old 01-28-2010, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

I just got my numbers back from my second draw- 89! I am super excited that at this point, they are more than doubling every 48 hours. It was 25 48 hours before. The next two months are going to be stressful for me as I wait and see if I can hold onto this little bug!
Old 01-28-2010, 01:39 PM

Great numbers, mama! Congrats! for a very sticky bean!

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:56 PM

I have a possibly stupid question... should I be getting my HCG levels tested? Is it mostly to check for the possibility of multiples or a miscalculated conception date?

Thanks in advance! I'm very new to all this.

9/2011 items decluttered
Old 01-28-2010, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier View Post
I have a possibly stupid question... should I be getting my HCG levels tested? Is it mostly to check for the possibility of multiples or a miscalculated conception date?

I have had 3 miscarriages prior to this pregnancy, so we are checking hcg and progesterone levels. I will be getting early ultrasounds as well.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier View Post

HCG levels won't pinpoint your due date or tell you whether or not you have multiples. It just tells you whether you're pg. If you get more than one draw, it's possible to see whether the pg is progressing as it should be by seeing if the numbers are doubling within a certain time period.

I had an early loss in November, so I decided I would like my HCG and progesterone levels checked this time. Without previous losses or an otherwise high-risk pg, there's really no reason to have them done.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
Old 01-28-2010, 07:10 PM

Ahh, thank you very much. I was looking around on some early pregnancy websites, and none of them said who should or maybe shouldn't consider testing. That makes sense.

I hope those numbers keep going up for you all!

9/2011 items decluttered

User Tag List