Vitamins etc? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-26-2010, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So what prenatal vitamins or other supplements are you taking? Last time around I used an RX vitamin because I tolerated it well, and this time I'm doing the same (so far, but a different brand). I'm not sure I'm going to keep it up, though -- I may just switch to an OTC one. Thoughts? Links to studies etc are always welcome

DD March 2007...happily nursing, EC graduated, family-bed-sharing family... expecting another in early November!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 01-26-2010, 08:38 PM

I am taking Prenatal fish oil and vitamin D

Cat married 4 yrs to DH DS '08 Early October 2010.
#3 of 15 Old 01-26-2010, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As of now I'm just continuing with my super food vitamin and my fish oil. I can't remember what else I should be taking.

Life is to be enjoyed...not just endured!
#4 of 15 Old 01-26-2010, 09:15 PM

I'm taking New Chapter Perfect Prenatals and Omega Mom Prenatal Fish Oil Capsules.

Me, married to DH, my childhood sweetheart. Lucky mom to an amazing DD (10/15/10), , a funny little DS (1/11/13) , and 3 silly dogs. Expecting someone new February 14, 2015!
#5 of 15 Old 01-26-2010, 09:44 PM

Pure Encapsulations Fish Oil, Alive Multi, Pure Encapsulation liquid Vit. D and Standard Process SP Greenfood.

I am going to have to retool the vitamins I am taking.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#6 of 15 Old 01-26-2010, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
New Chapter Perfect Prenatals, Quantum Cod Liver Oil, Green Pastures Butter Oil, and 4 tbsp Brewer's Yeast. Shockingly, that's about only half as many supplements as I was taking at this stage during my last pg.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#7 of 15 Old 01-26-2010, 10:30 PM

I'm taking Whole Food prenatals, Rainbow Light Everyday Calcium with Enzymes (it's calc/magnesium...my first had some enamel defects on her teeth from lack of calcium prenatally, so I'm trying to cut that off at the pass) and Super D Omega-3 fish oil (the brand is Carlson, it's filtered and purified and guaranteed free of pollutants like mercury, and it tastes like lemon). Right now I'm also taking Cranlogic probiotics to try and stave off my usual early pg uti (a totally lame habit my body has).

My mw said as far as prenatals go, just try to make sure that your vitamins are food-based, not synthetic, since the synthetic form of many vitamins is not bio-available and thus useless to your body and baby.

#8 of 15 Old 01-27-2010, 12:17 AM

New Chapter Perfect Prenatals (just arrived today!). I've been considering CLO but frankly I only had budget for that or the Prenatals, and since they cover more bases, they won.

Also trying to get plenty of that good pastured butter!

treehugger.gif SAHM with a precious toddler and the love of my life, expecting a new little one July 2014!
#9 of 15 Old 01-27-2010, 02:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I take New Chapter's as well, but I'm still finishing off the Women's One A Day's before I switch to prenatals - have maybe 1-2 weeks left. I'm also drinking milkthistle and nettle tea. I take extra D b/c I'm up north, and I'll start with the Vit C very soon.

I had trouble with my liver last time that caused some long term health problems so I'm going to do as much as I can to head that off this time

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#10 of 15 Old 01-27-2010, 11:02 AM

I was taking the Rainbow One OTC prenatals while TTC, but since my BFP switched to a Rx, Prenate DHA. I will finish the box of Prenate DHA, but may ask if they can write me a script for another one, because I just found out Prenate DHA has hydrogenated vegetable oil in it, and I don't dig on trans fats.

Hmmm... or maybe I'll go back to the Rainbow One prenatals and also supplement w/ fish oil or something... interesting thought. Not sure, not sure.

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#11 of 15 Old 01-27-2010, 12:45 PM

I'm taking the Rainbow Light One a day prenatals and the OmegaMom prenatal fish oils.

I might ask about an Rx for prenatals though so I can use the funds from our FSA.

Wife to French hubby (8/02), Mama to DD (3/05) and DS (02/07) and (3/10)
#12 of 15 Old 01-27-2010, 03:21 PM

I'm taking New Chapter Perfect Prenatal, Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega, Nature's Plus Iron, and Nature's Plus Folic Acid.

I don't have 1st MW appt until 2/18, so things may change after that.

Me 32, DH 33,  angel.gif (3/17/10),  DD 6/6/11
#13 of 15 Old 01-27-2010, 04:07 PM

I'm taking Vitanica Maternal Symmetry and fish oils at the moment. I might try to switch to a one-a-day prenatal as I am having trouble choking down all three doses of the Vitanica right now (2, 3 times a day).

I'm also wondering if there is an alternative to the fish oils? What comes up after I take them is less than pleasant. Blech.

Molly - Hard working mama to DD 06/06 , #2 9/2010!
#14 of 15 Old 01-27-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyuglybefore View Post
I'm also wondering if there is an alternative to the fish oils? What comes up after I take them is less than pleasant. Blech.

Nordic Naturals, and I think Carlson too, is lemon flavored. So the little aftertaste there is isn't bad at all.

Me 32, DH 33,  angel.gif (3/17/10),  DD 6/6/11
#15 of 15 Old 01-27-2010, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babsbob View Post
I'm taking the Rainbow Light One a day prenatals and the OmegaMom prenatal fish oils.

I might ask about an Rx for prenatals though so I can use the funds from our FSA.
You can use FSA money for OTC prentals. You do it the same way you do Advil or contact solution.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page