Are you avoiding any foods? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-26-2010, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just curios as to what food anyone is avoiding, whether b/c you're not supposed to eat them or b/c they just sound gross.

I'm not eating high mercury fish (I never did anyway), artificial sweeteners (I miss you already Diet Cherry Coke), and alcohol (bye margaritas ). So far that's it.

obstruct livery vehicles

#2 of 13 Old 01-27-2010, 04:31 PM

During pregnancy, I routinely avoid the following:

* Caffeine (don't consume it anyhow except in chocolate)
* High mercury fish (I limit this anyhow)
* Artificial sweeteners (don't eat these anyhow -- got them out 2ish years ago, yay!)
* Alcohol
* Deli meats
* Soft cheeses that may be stored in a way that could allow bacteria growth
* Raw dairy (which I LOVE when not pregnant)
* And sadly, sushi, which is my favorite cuisine...

DD March 2007...happily nursing, EC graduated, family-bed-sharing family... expecting another in early November!
#3 of 13 Old 01-27-2010, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I don't avoid anything during pregnancy that I don't limit or avoid normally except alcohol.

I don't regularly consume caffeine, artificial sweeteners, high-mercury fish or refined sugar.

I DO consume nitrate/nitrite-free hot dogs and deli meats, soft cheeses, raw dairy, and sushi while pg I just make sure all of these things are from trustworthy sources. ETA: Also consume raw egg yolks and "undercooked" steak from trusted sources.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#4 of 13 Old 01-27-2010, 05:11 PM

Well, I love coffee and wine. I am not drinking wine, my body doesn't even want to drink it. I love coffee, but I feel crampy afterward, probably because of the diuretic effect.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#5 of 13 Old 01-27-2010, 11:26 PM

I don't think I specifically avoid anything because of pregnancy - maybe raw eggs since we only have a supermarket source right now. I may also be more cautious of creepy looking salad bars than I would otherwise be.

I will definitely keep eating sushi - I'm not even totally sure why people avoid it. Just raw fish? I trust a good sushi restaurant waaaay more than I trust my own cooking lol

The only thing I really CAN'T have, this pregnancy same as last, is peanut butter. The taste completely changed for me almost as soon as I got my bfp.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#6 of 13 Old 01-27-2010, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post

The only thing I really CAN'T have, this pregnancy same as last, is peanut butter. The taste completely changed for me almost as soon as I got my bfp.
This would make me cry. I love peanut butter.

obstruct livery vehicles

#7 of 13 Old 01-27-2010, 11:50 PM

I think my diet was pretty pregnancy friendly before. I was talking toi a mw today and told her that we should clear the air before we think about joining forces - I drink rawmilk and am not going to stop during pregnanvcy because I completely trust my supply. And, unlike pregnancy #1, I will also continue to eat soft cooked and raw eggs for the same reason.

I may avoid traw tuna when I go out for sushi because of the high mercury content but I have to say, I can't imagine the mercury from a single piece of tuna will hurt.

I don't consume alcohol or caffiene since I got pregnant first time round because I don't think oit is great for breastfeeding.
#8 of 13 Old 01-28-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
This would make me cry. I love peanut butter.
Me too! Especially on ice cream ....

#9 of 13 Old 01-28-2010, 12:23 AM

Hmmm... well, we've been transitioning to a more "primal" diet over the past few weeks, and I'm going on with that, which basically means avoiding processed anything, vegetable oils (besides olive and coconut), and excessive sweeteners or grains. At least, that's our version at the moment. I have been steadily losing weight and feeling tremendous, just wonderful.

Raw egg yolks are still in, as long as they're coming from our chickens. And I don't really drink alcohol anyway, so that's a non-issue for me.

treehugger.gif SAHM with a precious toddler and the love of my life, expecting a new little one July 2014!
#10 of 13 Old 01-28-2010, 02:25 AM

Interestingly, I just found the following article that basically debunks any risk thought to be present in sushi: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/15/opinion/15shaw.html (NYT not the most credible source, but not far-fetched either).

Thoughts?

DD March 2007...happily nursing, EC graduated, family-bed-sharing family... expecting another in early November!
#11 of 13 Old 01-28-2010, 02:48 AM

That is a really interesting article. Especially the numbers - 1 in 2million chance of food borne illness from seafood excluding raw shellfish, and 1 in 25,000 from chicken. I know its not a sushi to chicken comparison but it still looks a lot safer.

#12 of 13 Old 01-28-2010, 04:35 PM

I'm a lurker (hope to join you!), but have a question for you ladies: My DH is allergic to nuts and tree nuts, and has mild asthma (it's not unusual for these 3 conditions to go together...) Anyway, I thought I had read somewhere that if I avoid nuts during pregnancy & bf'ing, it can lower the risk of passing these on to a child that may already be predisposed to allergies. Any opinions or experiences on that one?

That said, I really like having peanut butter sandwiches or crackers for lunch as a protein source to keep me going during the day, so this may be a tough one to give up...

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

#13 of 13 Old 01-28-2010, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulJo View Post
I'm a lurker (hope to join you!), but have a question for you ladies: My DH is allergic to nuts and tree nuts, and has mild asthma (it's not unusual for these 3 conditions to go together...) Anyway, I thought I had read somewhere that if I avoid nuts during pregnancy & bf'ing, it can lower the risk of passing these on to a child that may already be predisposed to allergies. Any opinions or experiences on that one?
I ate nuts and peanut butter like there was only 9 months left for peanut butter to be available lol. DD had none of those three and loves pb herself. We don't have any food allergies in either family at all though.

obstruct livery vehicles

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page