Planning a vacation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2010, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been planning a vacation for sometime in late May to early June with two of my girlfriends. We're looking at a couple of different European cities or maybe up to Montreal. So I'll be in mid-second trimester, which is the ideal time to do this, but beginning to wonder how much walking and touristing I'll be up for then. I really don't want to miss this!

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 10:44 AM

I went to Disney with our family when I was pg with #3, right in the middle of the second trimester. I just made sure to rest when I needed to, stayed hydrated, wore a big shaded hat and sunscreen. I was really careful and felt great the whole trip. Dh, on the other hand, got really sick one of the days. I did much better than I thought I would... and I was chasing after a 4 and 2 year old the whole trip, too. We had a great time.

I have pretty easy pregnancies overall, however, and always feel good during that second trimester.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
Old 02-03-2010, 10:55 PM

Have you told your girlfriends that you're pregnant? I think you'd want to tell them sooner rather than later so they can adjust their expectations accordingly. I tromped around Spain (puking every day from the smoke) but I still enjoyed it. But I also went with my husband who was willing to cater to my needs to stop and rest and such. Have you traveled with them before? It sounds like fun but only you know if they'd be of the 'go go go' variety and really see a pregnant woman as a drag, or if you'd feel abandoned if they went ahead while you rested.

Mama to DD1 4/08fly-by-nursing1.gif and DD2 10/10 bfinfant.gifcd.gifcat.gif
Old 02-03-2010, 11:34 PM

If it were me, I don't think there would be any problems. I tend to feel pretty good from about 4-7.5 months. The only problem might be discomfort from sitting during a long flight. All women are different though. I would make sure you are exercising now so you're not jolting yourself into something new.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

I've told the one friend I ran into the other day that I'm pregnant and she's totally cool with it. I'd told her before that we'd be TTC so she was totally excited for me I haven't talked to my other friend yet. I don't think I would be too much of a drag fitness wise since, well, put delicately, I think we'd be on the same fitness level. The one thing I can think of in that regard is I may need to take an afternoon nap, though I would be totally cool if they did their own things then (so long is it didn't turn into me being abandoned for the rest of the day).

Last time I traveled to Frankfurt for work around 28 weeks and had a day of leisure before returning. I definitely couldn't walk fast and had to take breaks but I did spend most the day walking. I was also significantly heavier then so hopefully I will be more mobile.

I'll talk more with them about it so that we all have the same expectations though.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
Old 02-04-2010, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
It's so hard to predict but my hunch says that is the best time in a pregnancy to travel. It was for me with DS. I had tons of energy and wasn't big yet - just normal but with a cute little belly starting. My m/s had finally subsided and I felt like a had a whole new lease on life. I hope you go through the same thing (well, minus the m/s).

Come up to Montreal! It's awesome here and that's a beautiful time of year to visit.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

It's actually looking like we might go to Montreal. It's the cheapest of the three options we're looking at and, with a baby on the way, I think that would probably be best.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:17 PM

I'm sure as long as your friends are understanding, everything will be fine. It sounds like fun, too!

Will you all have cellphones that you won't mind using on vacation? When my DH and I are on a trip and he needs a morning to sleep in, while I'm go, go, go, we sometimes meet up a bit later. You could do the same if you need to have a nap at some point.

Have fun!

User Tag List