Baby bump at 5 weeks??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 02-09-2010, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
This is my first pregnancy so please excuse my ignorance...

I am 5 weeks, 2 days pregnant and already feel and see a baby bump! Is this possible? I'm rather petite so it already feels much more obvious than I would have expected at this early stage.

I'm wondering if it's possible that I am 2 months pregnant and didn't realize it last month? I did have a normal-seeming period but I've heard that can sometimes be the case.

Anyone else have a bump this early?

Mom to MJ - born 10.17.10 
#2 of 18 Old 02-09-2010, 11:54 AM

I know how you feel - I can't wear most of my pants already. But it you are 5 weeks pregnant it is not the baby that is making the bump. The baby is the size of a sesame seed at 5 weeks and your uterus is still tucked under the pelvic bone. It is probably super pregnancy bloating. I'm not sure what makes it happen maybe someone else knows the science behind it but I have the same issue.

Wife to French hubby (8/02), Mama to DD (3/05) and DS (02/07) and (3/10)
#3 of 18 Old 02-09-2010, 12:02 PM

Since you are petite, it's possible, although it might just be bloat.
I'm not petite, but I am very thin, and my pants barely button.
Embrace your bump/bloat!

2nd try was a charm! BFP EDD 10/17/10 Beta @ 12 dpo - 92 Beta @ 15 dpo - 902 - It's a GIRL - Olivia Grace 10/18/10 6lb 12 oz
#4 of 18 Old 02-09-2010, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Even if you're petite, it's not baby this early. Your placenta hasn't even fully formed and your baby is like this big > . < And your uterus is still tucked up under your pelvic bone. Unless you're pregnant with like, octuplets, it's just gas.

I always feel "full" in my uterine area, though, from around 5 weeks on.
#5 of 18 Old 02-09-2010, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, it makes so much sense that it's bloating and not baby!
Guess I've just never felt this bloated before...it's a strange feeling!!

Mom to MJ - born 10.17.10 
#6 of 18 Old 02-09-2010, 02:04 PM

I had to buy my first pair of maternity pants at 5 weeks because the area below my belly buttom was already expanding. In my regular pants I could get the zipper up but it was tight and uncomfortable. It's true that at this early stage the embryo is way too small to cause you to "show," but your uterus might already be making room.

Mother of Mosole 5/23/2009
#7 of 18 Old 02-09-2010, 02:37 PM

With you too. Can't do up my jeans. Have resorted to wearing skirts and jogging pants. hehe This is baby #4 for me, but I see how it happens with first babies too.

Amy - mom to Brooke (March '01), Luke (Oct '05), Jaiden (March '08), and Wyatt (Oct '10)!

#8 of 18 Old 02-09-2010, 03:36 PM

Good to know I'm not the only one! I'm 5w3d and my pants are all getting tighter (or maybe it's that my stomach is sensitive to pressure on it). I was hoping to wait until 10-12 weeks to tell my family but I don't think I can wait that long to get into maternity jeans (and that darned blue elastic always shows). I'll be lucky to make it to 8 weeks without maternity clothing.

I should add that this is my 3rd pregnancy so the bloat is much more pronounced.
#9 of 18 Old 02-09-2010, 05:12 PM

This is my first. I'll be exactly 5w tomorrow and my pants are already tight too. I ordered a Bella Band last night because there is no way I'm buying new pants already.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#10 of 18 Old 02-09-2010, 05:20 PM

This is my first. I'm fairly petite (short-torso'ed and 5'2"), and I can't button my work pants anymore, and jeans buttoned are uncomfortable. I'm already going unbuttoned w/ a Bella Band, 'cause it's the only way I'm comfy!

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#11 of 18 Old 02-09-2010, 08:28 PM

YAAY im so pleased im not the only one! im 5 wks 6 days and my belly is really round and solid below my belly button already! i dont even have being little as an excuse, im 5ft 10 and although im slim i can normally hide a bit of weight but this pot belly is really showing! it's baby number two for me but i didnt realise you could get "bumps" this early and have never heard of pregnancy bloat before? im hoping not to tell anyone until after my scan (i suffered an ectopic in sept '09 and have since become very superstitious) but my belly and rapidly growing chest might give it away!

heartbeat.gifmy DH DS (5) angel1.gifx2... rainbow1284.gif DD 8th oct!! 9lb 5oz  Madison Akina-Mae - i wear her, feed her, co-sleep and hold her just about every minute of the day DS is my little scientist and the most loving person i ever did meet.  I'm lucky and I know it
#12 of 18 Old 02-09-2010, 08:39 PM

and here I've been trying to convince myself that my new washing machine shrunk my pants. Got a bunch of my sisters old maternity clothes. I'm not big enough for the belly panel style stuff yet, but the under belly stuff is a godsend!

A friend of mine has 3yo twins and "cursed" our other friend into having twins by rubbing her pregnant belly and saying "you're scrooed". Her twins are now a year old. Superbowl Sunday we are all hanging out and the 3yo's mom rubs my belly and says, "you're scrooed". So now my hubby is paranoid. LOL!

So I'll let you all know if you should steer clear of my friend. LOL!

Amanda : mom to : ds's 14, 12, 9, 1 & dd6

#13 of 18 Old 02-09-2010, 09:09 PM

Well, I have you all beat... my bump started in December (yes, I'm due in October).

But it's all baby bump... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#14 of 18 Old 02-09-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Well, I have you all beat... my bump started in December (yes, I'm due in October).

But it's all baby bump... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I'll have to steal that story. I weaned my son in October which caused me to gain about 5 pounds. Then came Thanksgiving and Christmas (which were huge splurges because I'd been dairy-free/soy-free for 17 months) so I was up to about 10 pounds of weight gain in a few months. Then I got pregnant.
#15 of 18 Old 02-14-2010, 02:06 PM

me too!!!
I am already in mat pants. it was just to hard to button up my other pants so i thought what the heck.

Unschooling Crunchy Mama of 5 babies. Welcome Emily-Rose born September 7th 2010!
#16 of 18 Old 02-14-2010, 02:21 PM

I'm loving the Bella Band because I don't want to switch to maternity pants until we hear a heartbeat. Too much heart ache when I've had to pack them away after a loss. Got to embrace the baby belly even if it's bloat! :-)

Married 16 yrs to DH, DS (3/06) x4 (11/04) (3/08) (3/09) (8/09)
DD born 9/24/2010 :
#17 of 18 Old 02-14-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomismom View Post

I'll have to steal that story. I weaned my son in October which caused me to gain about 5 pounds. Then came Thanksgiving and Christmas (which were huge splurges because I'd been dairy-free/soy-free for 17 months) so I was up to about 10 pounds of weight gain in a few months. Then I got pregnant.
Yeah, my older nursling started being able to tolerate it when I ate soy or eggs... and neither of my nurslings were susceptible to dairy anymore, so I went a little hog wild over the holidays. But now my youngest has developed a gluten intolerance... so I'm back to behaving myself, just in time to be very healthy for this pregnancy... so that's a good thing.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#18 of 18 Old 02-16-2010, 05:23 AM

Intestinal bloat.. eat more fresh fruits and veggies, and consider buying your pants a size larger.

Why is this a good idea? Because prenatal vitamins are constipating for one. And secondly, you don't lose all your baby weight before coming home from the hospital, so you'll need those slightly larger pants post-partum for at least six weeks to six months afterward anyway.

There ya go. My advice, Mother of 6.

Kelli, Upstate NY mama, dh FarmBoy, raising 6:, his, mine, and ours.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page