~~Weekly Chat: Feb 14 - Feb20~~ - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 02-17-2010, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No real symptoms yet here for me. I'm just over 4 weeks now. I had my first beta yesterday and it was 256! I go in tomorrow for the second one and possibly a progesterone test.

Loving partner to smartycat  ribbonrainbow.gif  . Enjoying life with our DS's- 4/5/09 and 10/29/10 love.gif!  Moms to three dogs and four cats.
#32 of 59 Old 02-17-2010, 12:40 PM

quasar - Yay for a great beta number! they double (or more) for you! I'm so psyched that you and Monarchgrrl are joining us here!!!

CherryBomb - ditto on what the PPs said. Maybe you just Oed later than you thought. So exciting that you got to see the tiny heartbeat!

Naomismom and Ambam - sorry to read you gals aren't feeling in tip-top shape. I am totally there with you and can commiserate. Hoping it lets up soon.

honeybee - DO share the recommended remedy that made you feel so much better!!! Glad you took a turn for the better!

Melly24 - thanks. I'm feeling somewhere in between pregnant and just a big fattie. Hoping pregnant wins out soon. This limbo phase is annoying! Lol.

AFM - still have the queasies and crazy bloat. I'm seriously just counting the hours till tomorrow evening when we have our first u/s scheduled! I'm so excited to actually see the bean that's growing inside of me, and to see the heartbeat. I think that will really be a turning point in terms of confidence for us, and we've also decided that after we see the heartbeat and I reach 8 weeks on Monday, we'll likely start telling more people, since the risk of m/c will be much lower at that point (I've read somewhere around 3-4% after a heartbeat is detected AND you reach 8 weeks, w/ no bleeding). Those stats sound mighty good to me!

Question of the Day - Do you/are you planning to CD? If so, what would you recommend a first time mama like me register for/stock up on in preparation for the arrival of our little one? Quantities? Brands you dig?

We're going to be having grandma take care of the kiddo most days after I go back to work, so we should also have some on hand that are "easy" for her.

I'm also planning on making some fitted dipes!

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#33 of 59 Old 02-17-2010, 01:07 PM

Hi everyone!

I'm here just taking my progesterone supplement and waiting until I have my levels checked on Monday. I'll get the results Tues. I'm thinking I will probably go ahead and have an early ultrasound too - wasn't planning on it, but I think I will be able to relax once I see that little heartbeat.

Is anyone else crazy bloated at night? I swear I look 9 months pregnant in the evenings. It's awful! Sorry TMI, but my digestion has way slowed down and I'm totally not regular, which I'm sure is part of the problem. I'm drinking tons of water and eating lots of veggies and fiber ... anyone else have suggestions to help? It's so uncomfortable!

Question of the Day - Do you/are you planning to CD? If so, what would you recommend a first time mama like me register for/stock up on in preparation for the arrival of our little one? Quantities? Brands you dig? Ooohhh - my favorite thing! I'm sooo excited about buying itty bitty cd's! I cd'd ds from about 4 months - 3 years. I never got to experience the tiny diaper stage so I'm excited. I'm such a dork, but I already kinda know what my newborn stash will look like!

I like to have plenty of diapers so I don't have to wash everyday. I'm going to mostly cd this one with prefolds and thirsties/bummis wraps. But will also have a couple wool covers (gotta buy some WAHM knit stuff!) about 6 AIOs (fuzzi bunz and Very Baby) and around 10 kissaluvs fitteds.

Once this little one gets into mediums I'll probably splurge on cute fitteds, etc. But for the itty bitty stage nothing too fancy.

I'm also excited that I wont have to deal with negative comments this time about cd'ing. With ds I swear everyone told me "Oh, you are never going to be able to keep up with laundry, etc" - but now I can tell them all where to shove it because I cd'd ds for 3 years so I know what I'm getting into!

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#34 of 59 Old 02-17-2010, 01:41 PM

Monarchgrrl Welcome!

Naomismom I know, you need to strike that balance between not super sick, and not super OK. Try not to worry, though! I know that my queasiness comes and goes. I'm guessing it's normal.

I'm envious that so many of you have seen your HCP's already. My appointment isn't until next week. I'll only be 5.5 weeks then, so it'll still be really soon.

Cloth diapers! Woo-hoo! I went through DS's old diapers over the weekend. I have a lot, mostly mediums and larges. I didn't CD at the newborn stage, so I need to get dipes in that size. I went way overboard with CD's last time, and spent way too much money. I'm all about economy this time, so I think I'll get some nice flats. I've been knitting wool covers for several months now, which is a lot of fun. For anyone wanting to splurge, Starbunz and Jamtots are great brands. Cute and they really hold the pee. Mother-ease are really wonderful, too. They're just basic fitteds, but they are one-size, leak-proof, and a great workhorse dipe.

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
#35 of 59 Old 02-17-2010, 01:43 PM

Definitely planning to CD.....with DS I used prefolds and PUL covers, but this time I am switching to prefolds with wool covers I am dorky to, I cant wait to start buying old sweaters and start sewing my various covers!

WOH Mom (for now)to DS (aka:Kiddo) and Little Bean (10/12/2010), Married to DH for ~7 years,
#36 of 59 Old 02-17-2010, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndzies View Post
Question of the Day - Do you/are you planning to CD? If so, what would you recommend a first time mama like me register for/stock up on in preparation for the arrival of our little one? Quantities? Brands you dig?
We are still CDing 2yo DS most of the time (sposies for overnight only) and used cloth on him exclusively from the beginning until ~18 months when nothing would work overnight except disposables.

We did mostly prefolds and have a lot (45-60 of each of two sizes, I think) because we didn't have our own washer/dryer for the first 8-9 months. We have a few different brands of wool covers and some thirsties and mother-ease covers and I love all of them for different reasons. We also have a few (9, I think) Bum Genius One-Size Pocket diapers for grandparents/babysitters/out and about only. I do not recommend the Bum Genius as full-time diapers. They simply do not hold up well for 2-3 years of all-day, every-day use. But, as occasional diapers they are great and people who aren't familiar with cloth diapers love them!

Are we planning to CD this next one? Yes and no. I am hoping this babe takes to ECing better than DS did and that we won't need nearly as many diapers or for nearly as long as we have with DS.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#37 of 59 Old 02-17-2010, 03:58 PM

Planning to CD again here (hopefully DS will be out of diapers by the time this one makes his/her appearance). I have a full complement of Newborn, Infant, and Premium prefolds, plus a boatload of flats. We mostly use the flats with DS because we're on limited water and they don't require as much in the way of repeated washing.

I had loaned out our newborn prefods to a friend a while back... hope I can get them back. I never exactly specified that it was just a loan, so I guess if I need to re-purchase those, I will. IMO, it's totally worth it to get newborn prefolds, rather than folding down infant-sized. Yes, they outgrow them quickly, but it's sooooo much more convenient.

We've also had to use disposables for the overnights since... I forget when that had to start. DS is a front-pee-er and tummy-sleeper, plus he pees a small waterfall.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#38 of 59 Old 02-17-2010, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not sure what I'm going to do for diapers. I cd all my others to some extent or another, but I'm leaning towards skipping it this time. I liked using prefolds and pul covers, but I have well water and I hate having to strip diappers all the time (they get real funky and rough from my water and nothing seems to help). I quit with dd3 around a year because the pita of constant stripping wasn't worth the money saved, honestly. Plus they were still so rough even after trying to strip them that they were giving her horrible rashes.

I like the idea of cloth but in reality it's always been a big pain for me.
#39 of 59 Old 02-17-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post

I like the idea of cloth but in reality it's always been a big pain for me.
I always wondered about G-diapers....they are flushable....could that be a possibility for you?

http://www.gdiapers.com/

WOH Mom (for now)to DS (aka:Kiddo) and Little Bean (10/12/2010), Married to DH for ~7 years,
#40 of 59 Old 02-17-2010, 05:32 PM

QOTD: CD'ing

I will be CD'ing this baby just like I did with my youngest two. I use pockets and fitteds with wool.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#41 of 59 Old 02-17-2010, 05:47 PM

Oh, and I am MADLY looking forward to doing some newborn longies knitting. I'm in the middle of a pair of longies for DS right now, and the legs are taking FOREVVVVVVVERRRRRR... knitting for an ittybitty is going to be so quick by comparison.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#42 of 59 Old 02-17-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
Oh, and I am MADLY looking forward to doing some newborn longies knitting. I'm in the middle of a pair of longies for DS right now, and the legs are taking FOREVVVVVVVERRRRRR... knitting for an ittybitty is going to be so quick by comparison.
your so cute!

Have you heard of this yahoo group?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wool_soaker_group/

#43 of 59 Old 02-17-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviab View Post
I always wondered about G-diapers....they are flushable....could that be a possibility for you?

http://www.gdiapers.com/
I've heard of those and they seem interesting, but don't seem like they save any money (a pack of refills costs more than a pack of generic disposables). And saving money is the only reason I was into cloth, so

My OB checked my ultrasound from yesterday and called and said it looked like "a viable intrauterine pregnancy" and said to go ahead and just schedule the standard first OB visit (which is 10 weeks, I think). Unfortunately I learned that since I only have medicaid now (dh lost his job and we can't afford cobra) I have to go to the community clinic for my check ups, until 36 weeks, then I go to my OB. Unless they decide I'm "high risk" then I'll get put right into my OB's office. Which is possible with my history.
#44 of 59 Old 02-17-2010, 09:05 PM

I'm still going to knit longies though, even if I don't cd this one Calgon is the only left I haven't tried, so I might give that a go and see how the diapers I have react! I'd at least like to cd for the first few months when they go through tons of diapers a day
#45 of 59 Old 02-17-2010, 09:41 PM

On one hand, intellectually, I like the money-saving and eco-friendly aspects of cloth diapering. On the other, realistically, I do laundry very infrequently (DH and I are well stocked in underwear! ) and that probably ain't gonna change. Decisions!!

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#46 of 59 Old 02-18-2010, 12:53 AM

Blizzard Babe- Are you on Ravelry? There are many groups dedicated to knitting soakers/longies and baby items.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#47 of 59 Old 02-18-2010, 11:45 AM

So glad to have gotten so much feedback and good idea about CD! Yay!

So, tonight I go in for my first u/s!! I'm both nervous and excited. I just want to see the little bean and a nice strong heartbeat. I will feel SO much better then, I think.

Unless there's more than one. In that case, I will have a moderate freakout before feeling so much better. Lol.

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#48 of 59 Old 02-18-2010, 12:56 PM

We are planning to CD. We are really into the Bum Genius, there is a CD store near our house, and we've checked those out and we were impressed. I think we will need at least 2 dozen diapers, especially in the early months when the little one can go through 10 diapers in one day! The store near us offers a CD class for free, so we will check that out before making our final decision.

2nd try was a charm! BFP EDD 10/17/10 Beta @ 12 dpo - 92 Beta @ 15 dpo - 902 - It's a GIRL - Olivia Grace 10/18/10 6lb 12 oz
#49 of 59 Old 02-18-2010, 01:35 PM

Lyndzies - yay, yay, yay! I'm sure you'll let us know how it goes ASAP! I'm looking forward to hearing about it and seeing the pics, especially since yours and mine are so close, and I'm already itching for an ultrasound even though I just had one last week. (My name is Papa, and I am an ultrasound addict.)

I am definitely cloth diapering.

For me it's the health risks of disposables, the money, and the environment, in that order. So in choosing cloth, I'll be balancing money vs. environmental impact vs. convenience, and I think that means I can't afford organic but I will do conventional prefolds and covers.

Flats are probably best in terms of $$$ and environment, since they require less energy to dry and less water to wash than prefolds, but they are MUCH less convenient than prefolds and covers.

All in ones seem like the worst choice, IMO, they don't last very long, the cover part takes a lot of wear and tear being washed when it doesn't need to be, and they take the most energy to dry.

I own the small, stacking w/d in my apartment, and I love it because it lets me do small loads and it's right in my kitchen. I'm likely moving before the baby is born (oh, I hope so!) but only if I find the perfect place, and having laundry IN THE UNIT is a big part of that. I figure I'll likely use the washer as my diaper pail if I stay here. :-D Then I can just run it at night, done.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#50 of 59 Old 02-18-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtMPapa View Post
Lyndzies - yay, yay, yay! I'm sure you'll let us know how it goes ASAP! I'm looking forward to hearing about it and seeing the pics, especially since yours and mine are so close, and I'm already itching for an ultrasound even though I just had one last week. (My name is Papa, and I am an ultrasound addict.)

All in ones seem like the worst choice, IMO, they don't last very long, the cover part takes a lot of wear and tear being washed when it doesn't need to be, and they take the most energy to dry.

I own the small, stacking w/d in my apartment, and I love it because it lets me do small loads and it's right in my kitchen. I'm likely moving before the baby is born (oh, I hope so!) but only if I find the perfect place, and having laundry IN THE UNIT is a big part of that. I figure I'll likely use the washer as my diaper pail if I stay here. :-D Then I can just run it at night, done.

papa - I'm anxious to hear about her ultrasound too! Good to know about the all in ones. Re: washer as diaper pail, great idea!

2nd try was a charm! BFP EDD 10/17/10 Beta @ 12 dpo - 92 Beta @ 15 dpo - 902 - It's a GIRL - Olivia Grace 10/18/10 6lb 12 oz
#51 of 59 Old 02-18-2010, 01:43 PM

I'm cheap, I have tons of fabric, a sewing machine, tons of yarn, and my knifty knitter set. So I'm going to be making a bunch of QSFW dipes, buying some flats, and making longies on my knifty knitter. Oh. I'll need to buy some pins too... hmmm...

Amanda : mom to : ds's 14, 12, 9, 1 & dd6

#52 of 59 Old 02-18-2010, 01:46 PM

Oh - and I have a special hatred for G-Diapers and other "flushable" diapers.

They're just a different spin on disposables.

The company wants you to think that since you're flushing it, it means there's no garbage, they actually want you to think that flushing it is GOOD. Where do you think it goes once you flush?

In many parts of the world, directly into the ocean. In the developed world, typically through a water treatment plant.

They are absolutely inappropriate and could end up costing you A LOT of money if you try to flush them into a septic system.

It's true, it's better that human waste not go into the garbage system, which is why you're supposed to dump the solid waste from a diaper into the toilet...even if you're using a disposable, which most people don't do.

Really, I don't see Gdiapers as being much better than disposables, except that you're not throwing out the plastic cover each time. And they're definitely no cheaper than 'sposies.

I would use them perhaps for travelling. I see them as a more environmentally conscious choice than mainstream garbage diapers, but they are not better than cloth in environmental or cost terms.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#53 of 59 Old 02-18-2010, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Good morning mamas! I still have a killer headache, but broke down and made an appointment for a massage and adjustment tomorrow morning. I'm really looking forward to it actually!
Ok...so I cded my last baby for a few months. I loved it. I mostly used fitted diapers with covers. Different varieties. I couldn't figure out how to get a prefold on to save my life. I also really liked the AIO dipes. I'd love to cd this little one but I'm hesitant. My dh HATES cloth. He's such a grouch about it. The other reason I'm hesitant is because we are on the go so much. Not so much in the winter, but from April - November, it's crazy. I spend most of my time in the mountains away from home which equals, no washer and dryer. So, I'm thinking of just stalking up on little stuff and at least cding for the first 6 months, then when things get crazy, I'll go back to sposies if I have to. I dont' know...just have to see I guess.

Life is to be enjoyed...not just endured!
#54 of 59 Old 02-18-2010, 05:45 PM

Just FYI for those that are considering AIOs - I found Fuzzi Bunz (pocket diaper, but pretty much an AIO once you stuff it) to really hold up well. The ones I had fit ds from one year to potty training (2 years) and held up great ... I let a friend borrow them for another year, then sold them. They hold their value well and IMO, frequent washing/drying didn't do much to them. I had other AIOs that wore out and fell apart .. but I will certainly include some FBs in this stash for ease of use while out and for people (like dh) who have no clue about cd's in the beginning.

Anyway, just wanted to share. I prefer fitteds and wool, and plan to use mostly prefolds with this one for the itty bitty stage. But thought I would share my very good experience with Fuzzi Bunz.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#55 of 59 Old 02-19-2010, 12:25 AM

RE: G diapers--HORR. IBLE. i tried them once and the entire inside of my toilet turned into a solid bowl of jello of which i had to SHOVEL. OUT. and i live in a new house w/ modern plumbing.

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Alora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Ailish Brynn Elspeth, 6/12/14!
#56 of 59 Old 02-19-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyelms View Post
RE: G diapers--HORR. IBLE. i tried them once and the entire inside of my toilet turned into a solid bowl of jello of which i had to SHOVEL. OUT. and i live in a new house w/ modern plumbing.
Ewwwwwwww!!! yeah, I have septic, too, so.

I made an appointment with a different OB. Like I said upthread, since we lost dh's insurance we'd have to go to the community clinic until 36 weeks, which is not cool with me. I mean, it's nearly an hour drive to that city from here, just to go to the free clinic that's going to be full of sick people? uggh, no. I like my OB, she delivered dd3 even though it was a VBA2C when no one else would touch me, but I don't like her enough to deal with the community clinic. Plus, there are like 8 other doctors in her practice, so I have no guarantee I'll have her at delivery, anyway. I did have one of her partners during my last miscarriage, and she was very sweet and kind, but who knows about the others? And if I can't get in there till 36 weeks, that's not enough time to have an appointment with each doctor to get to know them some!

So anyway, I live 10 minutes outside of a small town (6K people) and there's now one OB. If I see her I see her the entire time and she delivers the baby unless she's on vacation or something. My friend who's also pregnant saw her for her m/c (after her family doc's nurse told her to get over it because it happens all the time!) and is seeing her for this pregnancy, and she said she's really nice. Every one I know who's had her really likes her. So I set up an appointment for March 8th to meet with her. I'm hoping the fact that I'm a vbac mom won't be a big deal since I've already had a successful vbac.
#57 of 59 Old 02-19-2010, 02:52 PM

G diapers have a cloth insert specifically for their diapers now or you can fold a prefold and use that. The disposable liners are expensive, I would always compost the pee ones instead of flushing. G diapers were my gateway into cloth diapers. I like fuzzi bunz, and for the newborn stage prefolds are great.

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 uc.jpg

#58 of 59 Old 02-19-2010, 04:23 PM

On my way out the door for work, but I got my second beta back and it's 597! That is a doubling time of 39.29 hours. Looks pretty good so far! I need to wait just another couple weeks for the early ultrasound now.

Loving partner to smartycat  ribbonrainbow.gif  . Enjoying life with our DS's- 4/5/09 and 10/29/10 love.gif!  Moms to three dogs and four cats.
#59 of 59 Old 02-19-2010, 07:14 PM

Great news!!!! I go for another beta/progesterone on Monday and will get the results Tuesday .. the wait is killing me!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page