What have you been craving? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 63 Old 02-16-2010, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw some similar thread on here but I thought maybe we could have one dedicated just to cravings.

This past summer & fall we were really "into" Real Food/TF/NT... we moved at Thanksgiving to a very rural area & I've been trying to get back on track with that ever since. Now that I'm pregnant, I've TRIED to eat grassfed liver (& lamb kidney & heart) but to be honest, the smell makes me gag - sumpin' fierce. So my hubby suggested I just eat what sounds good & try again with TF in the second trimester. (I took his suggestion... without batting an eye )

Anyhow. My go-tos:
Ham & cheddar lunchables (blush... )
turkey sandwiches w/ mustard & no mayo (?very odd for me to detest mayo!)
salads with tons and tons and tons of tomatoes and dill ranch
mozzo cheese sticks (at room temp...?! I set them out & eat them when they're no longer cold!) (not the breaded ones, the ones in the sliced cheese section of the grocery store. LOL)
toast
bananas (like seriously, I could eat three in a ROW sometimes. Is that illegal, somehow?!)
peanut butter with both of the above
teas - esp black tea & herbal tea (and I am NOT a tea drinker, usually!)
popcorn occasionally
veggie burgers - by themselves with ketchup maybe? (!!!)
Golden delicious (normally I go for Fuji or something more tart)
oatmeal (plain with a bit of cream, butter & salt...!)

I find all of the below absolutely disgusting (normally I would not...)
hamburgers
ANYTHING fried
chili
pasta sauce
any red meat (I can barely stomach chicken)
any heavily sauced dish (alfredos, etc.)
eggs
bacon
sausage
oranges
pickles
olives
mushrooms
pepperoni
(in other words, pizza)

I'm sure I could keep going, but I'd love to see what others share so I'll go ahead and post!
Hang in there, mamas!

SAHM to Chloe (02/28/08) & Samantha (10/06/10)... not quite crunchy - think of us as al dente, finding our way to self-sustainability & full-out crunchy living ... trial and error, one day at a time! 
#2 of 63 Old 02-16-2010, 12:06 PM

I've found myself wanting lots of dairy, which is really unusual for me. I started eating cottage cheese a few days ago (haven't had it in years), and I'm embarrassed to say how much of it I eat each day! I don't eat meat and I usually don't have much dairy, but I guess I must need protein? Other than that I haven't had any other cravings yet.
#3 of 63 Old 02-16-2010, 12:28 PM

I just want to go out to eat. I would love to go out or have my hubby bring home something for every meal . Maybe it is just because I don't want to cook. Thankfully we have not been doing that, I just would like too.

I have been wanting eggs, pepperoni, but mostly just anything that I don't have to make.

Aimee - Wife to one hard working DH, SAHM to DD - Sunshine (5), DD - Cupcake (3), DS - Boo (1), and expecting a Surprise - Oct 2010!
#4 of 63 Old 02-16-2010, 12:53 PM

I've been having such strong aversions since this weekend, it's hard to say what I'm craving.

Water. Salty things. Peanut butter.

And the steamed dumplings left over from yesterday's takeout hit the spot this morning.

I can't wait till I start craving things (as opposed to everything making me want to hurl!).

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#5 of 63 Old 02-16-2010, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My cravings have mostly been one-time things as in "I couldn't possibly stand to eat a single thing right now except X" The only exceptions are tomatoes with salt (if only they were in season!) and dairy (which I remember tasting better with DS than it does now, but at least the thought of it doesn't make me nauseous).

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#6 of 63 Old 02-16-2010, 01:32 PM

No real cravings other than a desire for salty foods. I have been all over chips and dip and salted peanuts lately. And if I can smell it, I don't want to eat it...yuck...

Wife to DH : and SAHM to miracle DS born 10/30/08 and expecting a second miracle 10/03/10 after 11/09 loss. Only semi- crunchy but learning as I go...
#7 of 63 Old 02-16-2010, 03:19 PM

Protein and summer fruit (lucky it's summer here). Watermelon, peaches, nectarines, pepperoni, eggs, spicy chicken, liver pate, sushi, ham. I'd love some cheese but I'm dairy free. Man I'd love some cheese. mmmmm Puhoi Valley Camembert on rice crackers would be awesome right now (made about 20 minutes north of my town). Or smoked salmon flavoured cream cheese mmmmm man I'm hungry!

Have gone off brocolli and cauliflower. Just the thought of them makes me gag. yuck.

I'm majorly craving greasy takeaways but haven't given in yet. I've been close though. I ate so much crap when pg with DD and I don't want to do that again.

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#8 of 63 Old 02-16-2010, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melly24 View Post
Protein and summer fruit (lucky it's summer here). Watermelon, peaches, nectarines, pepperoni, eggs, spicy chicken, liver pate, sushi, ham. I'd love some cheese but I'm dairy free. Man I'd love some cheese. mmmmm Puhoi Valley Camembert on rice crackers would be awesome right now (made about 20 minutes north of my town). Or smoked salmon flavoured cream cheese mmmmm man I'm hungry!

Have gone off brocolli and cauliflower. Just the thought of them makes me gag. yuck.

I'm majorly craving greasy takeaways but haven't given in yet. I've been close though. I ate so much crap when pg with DD and I don't want to do that again.
Melly! You & I have daughters born the same month, and we're both due in October! That's neat!

SAHM to Chloe (02/28/08) & Samantha (10/06/10)... not quite crunchy - think of us as al dente, finding our way to self-sustainability & full-out crunchy living ... trial and error, one day at a time! 
#9 of 63 Old 02-16-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by principii View Post
Melly! You & I have daughters born the same month, and we're both due in October! That's neat!
That is neat! My DD was born on 20 Feb. I think it's going to be a lovely age gap between children

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#10 of 63 Old 02-16-2010, 03:41 PM

SALT AND VINEGAR KETTLE POTATO CHIPS.

Maybe just a little

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#11 of 63 Old 02-16-2010, 05:06 PM

Protein - milk, eggs, tuna salad sandwiches.

And when I get it into my head I want something, I just can't get it out unitl i have that thing. Which is how I made a pan of brownies yesterday, the first chocolate or sweet thing (other than ice cream) that I've actually wanted liked in the past month!

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#12 of 63 Old 02-16-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtMPapa View Post
Protein - milk, eggs, tuna salad sandwiches.

And when I get it into my head I want something, I just can't get it out unitl i have that thing. Which is how I made a pan of brownies yesterday, the first chocolate or sweet thing (other than ice cream) that I've actually wanted liked in the past month!
I made a pan of brownies this weekend, too! I ate one the other day w/ Breyer's mint chip ice cream. That was a rare yummy moment.

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#13 of 63 Old 02-16-2010, 06:33 PM

I've been craving spinach dip! I've eaten it a lot, even by the spoonfull.
I've mixed orange and canteloupe together (yum)
I've been craving Jamba Juice or a smoothie of sorts, but I haven't caved (yet)

It's so hard to decide that i want to eat because not a lot sounds good....

Things that I no longer like:

Banana's - I haven't actually eaten a banana since being pregnant, but I know that I don't want one and I think it's totally gross!

Peanut butter - I ate all things pb the whole TWW now, I don't want to see pb.

I used to love sweets - cookies, cake, brownies, ice cream - Now, it just doesn't taste the same.

A lot of things taste different, it's weird.

I'm also up 1.30 lbs, and i'm only 5w2d and I have bloat galore, can't button my pants bloat.

2nd try was a charm! BFP EDD 10/17/10 Beta @ 12 dpo - 92 Beta @ 15 dpo - 902 - It's a GIRL - Olivia Grace 10/18/10 6lb 12 oz
#14 of 63 Old 02-16-2010, 06:54 PM

water and fruit. last time i couldn't get enough grapefruit. smoothies sound so good...

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Elora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Eilish Neve Isebeul, 6/12/14!
#15 of 63 Old 02-16-2010, 07:33 PM

The only thing that's consistently sounded good to me is plain yogurt mixed with raspberry jam and chopped almonds. Everything else is one minute yum, next minute DEAR GOD YUCK!

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#16 of 63 Old 02-16-2010, 07:51 PM

Yay, I love food threads! For the mama's who have food to aversions to mostly everything, that's how I felt for a few days until I was driving around and saw an Asian eatery...then BINGO, I realized what I wanted. Or I'd be reading, and come across something else yummy, and realize I wanted that, too. I couldn't have figured it out myself, I needed to just happen across it, hopefully some yummy idea will cross your path soon.

Like a PP, I'm also loving cottage cheese. Especially with eggs. Salad greens with homemade dressing, smoothies with homemade yogurt, banana, egg yolks, freshly made juice, yum! I also made some delicious chili. This morning I had miso soup with chicken stock. Oh, organic Mac n Cheese with a hot dog mixed in really hit the spot for me, too.

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
#17 of 63 Old 02-16-2010, 08:33 PM

Hmmm...yogurt, hot dogs, burgers, Olive Garden!, smoothies........no real aversions yet.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#18 of 63 Old 02-16-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn View Post
Everything else is one minute yum, next minute DEAR GOD YUCK!
This is what I'm going through! I also don't have cravings so much as food I'm less repulsed by at a given moment, and it changes frequently. I have always loved sweets, but for the first time in my life I'm grossed out by the thought of anything with sugar in it. The Girl Scout cookies we bought are just sitting on our counter, unopened. My birthday is coming up soon and I think this will be the first birthday since my actual day of birth that I don't have cake. I don't even want to smell any.

Breadsticks and mashed potatoes go down pretty easily. I can still force down eggs and cheese most of the time.

I do need to work on getting more protein. Yesterday when I was opening the can of cat food for my cat's dinner, the smell made me start salivating.

9/2011 items decluttered
#19 of 63 Old 02-17-2010, 09:49 AM

Normally I eat peanut butter on whole wheat bread for lunch every work day (for years and years) but it does not appeal to me at all now. All I'm really craving now is almonds and dark chocolate. And a lot of things sound good sometimes and disgusting at other times.
#20 of 63 Old 02-17-2010, 12:57 PM

I crave eggs in the am - every single am I've been eating a sprouted wheat bagel with a fried egg, slice of tomato & a little cheese. Mmmmm.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#21 of 63 Old 02-17-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymama View Post
I crave eggs in the am - every single am I've been eating a sprouted wheat bagel with a fried egg, slice of tomato & a little cheese. Mmmmm.
Oh man, that sounds delicious.

I want it with Feta.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#22 of 63 Old 02-17-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymama View Post
Ok, I'm totally adding bagels & tomatoes to my grocery list now...

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
#23 of 63 Old 02-17-2010, 05:06 PM

I'm totally craving fish, lobster, mussels, & clam chowder!

I'm so happy that I don't have any signs of mourning sickness yet.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#24 of 63 Old 02-17-2010, 05:26 PM

I want corn on the cob with tons of butter and salt so bad. too bad it's not corn season .

obstruct livery vehicles

#25 of 63 Old 02-17-2010, 05:28 PM

Why do I want EVERYTHING except what I brought to work for lunch?! Homemade cream of broccoli soup. It's delicious. I just don't want it.

#26 of 63 Old 02-17-2010, 05:40 PM

I'm so glad I inspired some of you with my fried egg bagel.

I was STARVING at work - came home to eat and wait for ds to get home from school and everything I try to eat looks gross. I got down some veggie soup and now I feel like I'm going to puke.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#27 of 63 Old 02-17-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
Why do I want EVERYTHING except what I brought to work for lunch?! Homemade cream of broccoli soup. It's delicious. I just don't want it.
This totally happened to me today and it sucked! I forced it down though, and felt better after having eaten (choked) down my lunch.

Now I am enjoying some popcorn.

Hmmm... what to do about dinner? Bagel egg sammie perhaps, now that I've caught up on this thread. Lol!

#28 of 63 Old 02-17-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndzies View Post
This totally happened to me today and it sucked! I forced it down though, and felt better after having eaten (choked) down my lunch.
Yeah, forced it down. It wasn't great, but it wasn't as awful as I was anticipating.

#29 of 63 Old 02-18-2010, 03:23 AM
ATP

hah, as I'm sitting here reading this thread about cravings, I am finishing off the slice of hurt-your-teeth-it's-so-sweet white cake with white icing. I've been wanting that normally disgusting (to me) grocery store cake for days now and finally gave in today and bought a slice--thank goodness they sell it in slices, otherwise I'd totally eat a whole cake. I feel like I'm eating for three. Who knows, maybe I am?
#30 of 63 Old 02-18-2010, 05:42 AM

Not too many cravings just yet, but when I'm eating you better not take my plate away from me! We were at a restaurant the other day and the waitress wanted to clear some of the dishes and thought I was done with my soup. She picked up the bowl and I almost slapped her hand away.

I did have a craving for McDonald's chicken nuggets the other day though, and last night I really wanted Chinese food. Last pregnancy I couldn't get enough apples. So it will be fun seeing what sparks my appetite this time around.

Loving partner to smartycat  ribbonrainbow.gif  . Enjoying life with our DS's- 4/5/09 and 10/29/10 love.gif!  Moms to three dogs and four cats.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page