are you nursing during this pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2010, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
ATP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm nursing my 19-month old and I'm considering trying to wean her. We both love it though, so I'm struggling to make a decision. There are two reasons why I'm considering this now: one, my sensitive breasts--nursing hurts like it did when she was a newborn!--and second, I'm worried that weaning her too close to the new baby's arrival will promote feelings of resentment and jealousy towards the new baby. And I'm not sure if I'm up for the tandem nursing situation.

Anyone else struggling with these issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 05:37 AM

I'm struggling with sore nipples. They are getting worse each day! It really really hurts. I have heard that it gets better in the second trimester. I certainly hope so! I have cut down on how many times she nurses, but the longer in between sessions the ouchier my nipples are.
I plan to tandem if DD continues breastfeeding.

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

Old 02-18-2010, 06:28 AM

I have a 10 1/2 month old and I am hoping to nurse for as long as possible during this pregnancy. I am really concerned though about crashing supply. As of right now, I don't have much nipple pain or anything (I'm only 4 weeks along), but he already seems to be fussy at the breast. I don't know if it's my own paranoia or if my supply is actually being affected already.

I know to boost supply when not pregnant, they say to pump after each feeding. Do you think this would help at all now, or would that just be a waste of time since the hormones are going to start doing crazy things? I tried pumping tonight and my normally easy to pump side was giving me a pitiful amount and it got me really upset. I guess I never thought I'd be this attached to breastfeeding and I'm not ready in the least to wean DS.

Loving partner to smartycat  ribbonrainbow.gif  . Enjoying life with our DS's- 4/5/09 and 10/29/10 love.gif!  Moms to three dogs and four cats.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine will be 2 next month and I'm working on weaning her. I was nursing with my last pregnancy too, which ended in miscarriage at 16 weeks, and by that point I was getting really irritated with nursing. So I'm trying to start early. I nurse her whenever she wakes at night (anytime from 0-3x usually), in the morning when she wakes up, before and after her nap, and before bed. I'm going to try to cut out the after nap nursing next.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
ATP

It hadn't even occurred to me that my milk supply might be affected by the pregnancy hormones, but it makes sense. My daughter has been requesting "mama milk" more frequently lately, and maybe it's because my supply is lower so she's not getting as much as she's used to.
Well, I've decided for the time being to continue nursing her for as long as I can stand it. I've been reading some other posts on here and I noticed that a lot of moms mention getting annoyed with nursing when they're pregnant; I wonder what that's about? Maybe I'll reach that point, too; but for now, the positive aspects of nursing far outweigh the negatives (soreness and worry about doing the tandem thing after the new baby arrives.)
Old 02-18-2010, 04:56 PM

I nursed my 3rd sone when I got pregnant with a baby that I m/c'ed It was such of a wonderful thing that I kept nursing him because It was such a sad time but I always had the nursing. He was still nursing when I got pregnant with my youngest and nursed untill I was about 6-7 months pregnant and then just weaned himself. My youngest is 11 months old and shows no signs of giving it up. I think I will contiue to nurse untill she is ready to stop.

Married to a WONDERFUL man, SAHM of Israel 9(b) , Ireland 5(g) , Iceland 4(b),  Italy 2(g), Scoltand 9 m(g), and pregnant with baby #6

Old 02-18-2010, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am nursing my 7 1/2 month old. I really hope to continue throughout this pregnancy. I had to wean my last child when I was pregnant because it hurt so bad.

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos. Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 
Old 02-18-2010, 07:52 PM

I am still nursing my almost 3 year old (will be 3 April 5). She is only nursing about 1 x per day. Once and a while I'll nurse her more then that, but I am getting a bit more sore lately. I wouldn't be opposed to tandom nursing, but I'm not all that excited about it either.... We will just see what happens! I know "they" say that many children wean while mom is pregnant, but I REALLY don't see DD weaning herself anytime soon whatsoever. She loves to nurse, and loves the boobs in general!

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

Old 02-18-2010, 07:57 PM

I have been nursing continuously for 6 years. I tandemed my oldest two, and then added number 3 to the mix. There was a few months of nursing 3 until I weaned my oldest on his 5th birthday. Now I'm expecting number 4, and expect I'll be nursing 3 again once baby comes.

I'm one of the minority who doesn't lose milk during pregnancy, though, and it's never been particularly painful, so I've always found it easier to continue than try to wean. My philosophy has been to just take it one day at a time and see what happens. I've also found it really beneficial in terms of sibling rivalry... my boys all have such a good bond with one another. I do nightwean during pregnancy, though, and I set other limits and boundaries as needed to keep things easier on myself.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
Old 02-18-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasar View Post
I have a 10 1/2 month old and I am hoping to nurse for as long as possible during this pregnancy. I am really concerned though about crashing supply. As of right now, I don't have much nipple pain or anything (I'm only 4 weeks along), but he already seems to be fussy at the breast. I don't know if it's my own paranoia or if my supply is actually being affected already.

I know to boost supply when not pregnant, they say to pump after each feeding. Do you think this would help at all now, or would that just be a waste of time since the hormones are going to start doing crazy things? I tried pumping tonight and my normally easy to pump side was giving me a pitiful amount and it got me really upset. I guess I never thought I'd be this attached to breastfeeding and I'm not ready in the least to wean DS.
I don't think there's much way to boost supply while pregnant. I think fenugreek (in mother's milk tea) is actually contraindicated for pregnancy, so I would be careful trying to take any normal milk boosters.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
Old 02-18-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I don't think there's much way to boost supply while pregnant. I think fenugreek (in mother's milk tea) is actually contraindicated for pregnancy, so I would be careful trying to take any normal milk boosters.
(I was trying to quote who you quoted, honeybee!)

Look around kellymom for information on this - supply drops because of hormone changes that basically undo supply and demand, so there's nothing you can really do to boost supply. Here's a good overview: http://kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/16milkchanges.html

I am nursing my 23m/o DS. He still nurses several times a day (and night...). I anticipate him being nightweaned - because my nipples hurt MUCH worse at night and because I can't see how the heck I'll nurse a newborn and toddler through nightwakings and be worth much during the day! (I couldn't nurse DS laying on my back until he was much bigger, so I couldn't nurse them both at the same time while I sleep.)

I say with some confidence that he will continue to nurse during the day and at bedtime and naptime (I'll figure out how to juggle that with the newborn eventually...I hope....?), but I know that could change either on my end or his.

B, happily married to M. Mother to two boys: B (3/08) and A (9/10)
Old 02-18-2010, 08:23 PM

My DD is 27 months old, and I am slowly, halfheartely trying to wean her. My nipples and supply seem to be doing OK, but I am tired and hungry. I just don't think I have the physical energy to keep it up.

Also, DD has severe tooth decay, which doctor and dentist are blaming on nursing. I don't agree with them 100%, but it's one more possible incentive to wean. We were getting down to 2-3 times/day, but now she's sick, so it's back up again. We'll see how it goes.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikigypsy View Post
My DD is 27 months old, and I am slowly, halfheartely trying to wean her. My nipples and supply seem to be doing OK, but I am tired and hungry. I just don't think I have the physical energy to keep it up.

Also, DD has severe tooth decay, which doctor and dentist are blaming on nursing. I don't agree with them 100%, but it's one more possible incentive to wean. We were getting down to 2-3 times/day, but now she's sick, so it's back up again. We'll see how it goes.
My DD has tooth decay too.... She has probably 7 cavities? And seriously...we eat GOOD! No sugar!!! No juice!! I don't know why....and though I don't agree that bfing caused it (I think it would be worse if she was on formula), I think it MAY have contributed along with the other foods in her diet...

Anyway, I feel for you!!

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

Old 02-18-2010, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
ATP

I'm also thinking that I'll have to at the very least nightwean my toddler. As others have said, the idea of juggling two little ones at night on the breast is not at all appealing.
This is going to be rough though. For her entire life, my little girl has only been able to fall asleep while nursing. How in the world am I supposed to change that?
Any advice is welcome!
Old 02-18-2010, 11:32 PM

I'm still nursing my 17 month old 2-3x/day, but my supply is really dropping, which has taken the decision of whether or not to wean mostly out of my hands.

I find myself rather sad about it, and even though I was slowly weaning her before getting pregnant, I'm actually allowing her to linger a bit longer on each side and not trying to avoid it at nap (something I was doing). Let her get all the mama milk she can while it's still there.

ATP: my daughter also always nursed to sleep, but I changed up our bedtime routine a few months ago so that there was something really cool *after* nursing (this really cool thing is a "Twilight Ladybug" that shines stars and a moon around her room - it's incredibly relaxing for me, too, and my DD absolutely LOVES the moon, so it was a good choice for her). I nurse her for about 5 minutes a side so she is still awake, then lay her down in her crib, then "turn on the moon". I lay down beside her crib and offer her my hand, or let her touch my face or hair. She did not like this being put down awake thing at all initially, but the novelty of the ladybug glowing and the lights around her room was a great distractor. Sometimes she stands up and walks around her crib, or plays with her feet in the crib rails for a while. If at any point she becomes upset, I talk quietly about our day, what we did, who we saw, how funny our cat is, that we did or didn't see the moon that evening - anything I can think of that might catch her attention, and/or offer to rub her back or head. Eventually, she actually settles and falls asleep. It has totally changed bedtime and she's sleeping so much better at night now.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter
ATP

thanks, kitikatuka. that ladybug might be just the thing! My friend told me about a teddy bear that plays soothing music that she used when she nightweaned her toddler, and I considered getting one, but my daughter LOVES ladybugs, so I think I might have to try to find that twilight ladybug.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:05 AM

My honest advice is to wait a few months to night wean. I had a nine month old when I got pg with my third baby and it IS tough, but you have a while to go before baby is here and you will probably find it much easier to night wean when she's closer to two.
I'm nursing two this pregnancy. My 3yo is only nursing for a couple of minutes at night though, it really gives me the willies to nurse her for too long and I'm hoping she quits on her own before the next baby comes. My 17mo nurses on demand and that works out to several nursing during the day and a few at night. The pain is minimal this time but the creepy crawlies are killer and I can't sleep with her nursing anymore.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

Old 02-19-2010, 01:33 AM
hyz

I'm still nursing my 18 month old daughter about once or twice a day. Before I got pregnant it was more like 3-4 times a day, but now my supply dropped so much it hardly seems worth it. I now nurse her early in the morning, and sometimes once in the middle of the night if she wakes up.

Mom to sweet DD 8/08, and adorable DS 10/20/10
Old 02-19-2010, 03:35 AM

This totally sucks. : Today my supply was just absolutely not there. I feel like a failure to DS and for not getting to a year yet even. I was so sad this morning when he was crying and he just wasn't getting enough. I pumped at work tonight and after 15 minutes I didn't even reach a full ounce. I can't believe this is happening so early and so drastically. I thought I'd at least have a couple months to ease into thoughts of weaning (if that was even necessary). I'm at a loss. I guess I just need to eat and drink a lot more to see if that increases anything. I never realized how sad I would be.

Loving partner to smartycat  ribbonrainbow.gif  . Enjoying life with our DS's- 4/5/09 and 10/29/10 love.gif!  Moms to three dogs and four cats.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:54 AM

Awwww (((((((((hugs))))))))) I know that feeling so well. The good thing is that your supply may go up and down so you could make more milk in a few weeks. My DD was almost a year old when my supply really started to drop. I gave her goat's milk at night (when my supply was lowest) and she is still nursing at 3yo. It doesn't have to be over mama.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

Old 02-19-2010, 11:49 AM

I'm still nusring now too and I had a miscarriage last summer which affected my milk supply and that was really sad for me too for DD to have less milk at just over a year old. I remember that feeling well. This time around, I just nightweaned her to give myself a break physically although she hasn't stopped waking up at night still some. Nursing has gotten less comfortable, but I find sitting up to be a lot more comfortable than lying down.

Mama to DD1 4/08fly-by-nursing1.gif and DD2 10/10 bfinfant.gifcd.gifcat.gif
Old 02-19-2010, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
ATP

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasar View Post
I never realized how sad I would be.
It's incredible how sad it is, isn't it? I'm so broken up about ending my nursing relationship with my baby girl, but I've pretty much decided that it has to happen. My supply is so low and nursing is so uncomfortable, and DD is getting up all night shouting "mama milk" because she isn't getting enough, so I'm not getting any sleep. It's rough!
Old 02-20-2010, 01:19 AM

I am really struggling with nursing my almost 23 month old right now. The hardest part is that I feel so sad about it all. I really wanted to nurse her until she was at least 2, but I am definitely not up for tandem nursing. I also had no idea how sore my nipples were going to be. They are brutally sore. I thought that was bad in and of itself, but the last few days I've started getting the creepy crawlies while nursing her and it's been awful. I felt angry towards her tonight while nursing her to sleep and had to get her to stop. Then I just burst into tears! She looked so concerned and said "mama" and then gave me a hug. I feel so awful for burdening her with that!!

Anyway, I think I need to move into gradual weaning because I don't want to feel that way towards her for months on end. And I don't want her to associate this wonderful comfort (and more) she's had all her life with her mama getting angry. It's too awful. I have been only letting her nurse for a couple minutes in the middle of the night and then telling her it's time to stop and she does quite happily and snuggles against me and goes back to sleep. I've also been telling her "not right now" at certain times during the day when I know she's just asking out of boredom or habit.

I know that all of this means I'm already pushing her to wean, which is hard for me, but I think it's better than having a mama who is resentful and angry. I also hope it will be gradual and that will make it easier.

Thanks for listening! Just nice to have mamas who know what I'm feeling on some level.

DD born April 7/08 and expecting #2 October 2010!
Old 02-20-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtara2003x View Post
My DD has tooth decay too.... She has probably 7 cavities? And seriously...we eat GOOD! No sugar!!! No juice!! I don't know why....and though I don't agree that bfing caused it (I think it would be worse if she was on formula), I think it MAY have contributed along with the other foods in her diet...

Anyway, I feel for you!!
Breastfeeding is not a factor. The main culprit is the Westernized diet. At the moment I can't find the name of the book I'm reading about dental decay... but it's really informative. Pregnancy brain...

Old 02-20-2010, 02:26 PM

Nursing is still going great for my DS and I who is almost 21 months! I cant believe he is almost two... My breasts are alot sorer but nipple pain is like a 1 or 2. milk is still there great. which is really good he has been really sick was puking and the runs and now he has a bad cough he is way pale too its sad.

Cat married 4 yrs to DH DS '08 Early October 2010.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:10 PM

I am still nursing my 8 month old.. We will see how long my supply holds up!! My oldest was 5 months old when I got pregnant with my second and he was able to nurse till 9 months so I am hopeful we can make it to a year...

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
Old 02-21-2010, 04:19 AM

I'm nursing my 21 M/O and OUCH!!!!!! I hear ya on the hurts like nursing a newborn thing!!!!

I'm not weaning him now or when the baby is born though. I look at it this way: It was MY choice to have another baby....I would be nursing him for 2 1/2 yrs+ if no sibling were coming, I'm not going to cut it short b/c of the new baby.

I'm sure tandem nursing will have it's challenges and rewards like anything else and I'm up for it!

Super crunchy Mama to DS1, DS2, DD and wanting a bunch more!  We homeschool, bed share, homebirth and baby wear. We're attached, we only cloth diaper and we don't vax. There's a lot more to us than that, but it won't all fit. 

Old 02-23-2010, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
ATP

When reading about nursing during pregnancy I would often come across women mentioning the "creepy crawlies" while nursing and I didn't understand what that meant. Until now. It started in the middle of the night when I was nursing my teething toddler and she wouldn't fall asleep and I just felt so angry with her. I had NEVER felt this way before, not matter how tired I was or how difficult nursing was. It's really bizarre that there really seems to be some physical cause for this phenomenon. And it's really sad. I felt like such a bad mom for having these feelings.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:51 PM

Ahh yes the creepie crawlies. I got them too...although haven't had them this pregnancy yet.

I nursed DD a TON TON TON the other day. Well..the next day I had brown spotting which freaked me out SOO much. Today I haven't had any though so that's good. I did not nurse DD today at all and I'm gonna take tomorrow off just to be safe. Then the next day if she wants to nurse for like 5 minutes per side that would be fine.

It really hurts the most when she latches...but other then that it's not to bad for me yet!!!

Old 02-24-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellamia View Post
I'm not weaning him now or when the baby is born though. I look at it this way: It was MY choice to have another baby....I would be nursing him for 2 1/2 yrs+ if no sibling were coming, I'm not going to cut it short b/c of the new baby.

I'm sure tandem nursing will have it's challenges and rewards like anything else and I'm up for it!
This is how I feel too. My goal was to make it until my son was at least 2 before considering weaning. Well, he's only 13 months and neither of us are close to ready to wean. So, I'll continue and hopefully tandem. So far, I'm not having any different sensations (knock on wood!) except I have nursing blisters on both nipples because my son is teething and will.not.unlatch. And hopefully my supply will stay up!

Emily, happily married for 9 years, , Graeme 1/9/09, due 10/10, 8/07, and lovin' all over my 3 licky :

User Tag List