"I Love Coffee" Support Thread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 02-19-2010, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else struggling to cut back on, or completely cut out, coffee?

I'm limiting myself to one cup a day. It's awful. Doesn't help that my office is home to a coffee cart run by the local alternative boarding school. Organic, fair trade coffee, proceeds go towards helping them keep their (very awesome, student-centered) program running.

The student who runs it commented on my lack of patronage this past week.

Tell me I'm not alone in my coffee-missing misery.

I won't even start on the batch of homebrewed spruce ale that is sitting at home in bottles, taunting my pregnant self with it's deliciousness.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#2 of 31 Old 02-19-2010, 04:39 PM

I haven't had coffee in weeks

My french press broke and I took it as a sign.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#3 of 31 Old 02-19-2010, 04:39 PM

I wish I could say the same. I haven't been able to stomach it at all.

Not sure which is worse. I remember having a cup a day with #1 the whole time. I even made myself a delicious latte the other morning before work and ended up dumping it half way through. Such a shame.

Molly - Hard working mama to DD 06/06 , #2 9/2010!
#4 of 31 Old 02-19-2010, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmin View Post
I haven't had coffee in weeks

My french press broke and I took it as a sign.
I have one sitting here on my desk. We have hot water at our "coffee station" for the tea-drinkers, and I use it to make french pressed coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyuglybefore View Post
I wish I could say the same. I haven't been able to stomach it at all.

Not sure which is worse. I remember having a cup a day with #1 the whole time. I even made myself a delicious latte the other morning before work and ended up dumping it half way through. Such a shame.
Last pregnancy, DH would make a small french-press of coffee (interestingly, it's the same little one that's now sitting on my desk, mocking me), and put most of it into his travel mug, then put the remainder in mine with some milk. It was PERFECT.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#5 of 31 Old 02-19-2010, 05:07 PM

i'm a daily addict but i'm beginning to no longer stomache it as well, as a pp mentioned. dh brought me home my usual latte this morning and i could only mange a few sips.

i did just recently discover starbucks new skinny dolce latte. those are yum and definitely look forward to enjoying them someday relatively soon.

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Alora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Ailish Brynn Elspeth, 6/12/14!
#6 of 31 Old 02-19-2010, 06:00 PM

I thought we weren't supposed to have caffeine during the first trimester at least? I love coffee but I'm avoiding even decaf, which does have some caffeine in it.
#7 of 31 Old 02-19-2010, 06:29 PM

I switched to decaf in the fall. Glad I did--I went through severe withdrawal for three weeks... I actualy thought I was PG since I felt so sick.

I am doing a couple cups of decaf in the morning. I know there's some caffeine in it, but I know some mamas do regular. I don't have an aversion to it yet, which is good because some days the promise of a cup of decaf is the only thing that gets me out of bed in time to go to work.

There's me, DH, and the little guy (8/05). Expecting another little one 10/10! Hoping for a .
#8 of 31 Old 02-19-2010, 07:03 PM
hyz

In my last pregnancy, I read that up to two cups a day of regular coffee are fine. So I've been drinking one half or one full cup of regular coffee in the morning, and then decaf the rest of the day. Non-pregnant, I was drinking probably 3-5 cups of regular coffee a day. Now, after my one regular coffee in the morning, I might only have 1-2 cups of decaf, because decaf just does not taste so good.

Mom to sweet DD 8/08, and adorable DS 10/20/10
#9 of 31 Old 02-19-2010, 07:16 PM

Oh yes. I normally drink an entire pot to myself at work in the am. Seriously.

Now I'm limiting myself to only one cup and it's been hard! I'm drinking warm pregnancy tea which helps, but oh man, I miss my coffee!

You are so not alone.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#10 of 31 Old 02-19-2010, 08:57 PM

I seriously can't stomach coffee anymore though I've been having a cup of green tea in the morning at work. Same thing happened last time though I was able to start drinking again in my second trimester.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#11 of 31 Old 02-19-2010, 09:07 PM
ATP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinleinesque View Post
I thought we weren't supposed to have caffeine during the first trimester at least? I love coffee but I'm avoiding even decaf, which does have some caffeine in it.
According to the research I've found, coffee in moderation (no more than three cups a day) is safe throughout pregnancy. My OB told me that in scandanavian countries, coffee isn't on the "no" list for pregnant women, and they don't have a higher rate of complications that are thought to be linked to caffeine.
My OB said that a cup a day is no problem at all. And I guess if you're a real addict, even two or three cups isn't a problem, although I'd rather be on the safe side and limit all drugs anyway.
#12 of 31 Old 02-19-2010, 09:56 PM

I cut out coffee entirely with my last pregnancy, but this time, I'm continuing with my morning cup o' joe, although, it's more like warm milk with coffee flavoring: half full strength coffee, half milk. It usually needs to be rewarmed immediately, and I only drink half of that. I just love the idea of a hot cup of coffee in the morning. Tea doesn't do it for me.
#13 of 31 Old 02-19-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitikatuka View Post
I just love the idea of a hot cup of coffee in the morning. Tea doesn't do it for me.
Yep, I agree!

There's me, DH, and the little guy (8/05). Expecting another little one 10/10! Hoping for a .
#14 of 31 Old 02-20-2010, 04:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I miss my coffee I haven't really started up again though since I quit when pregnant with ds so it's not so much a big deal this time. I started drinking my coffee with milk a couple years ago, and now that our house is dairy free for ds I only really drink coffee out. Since I don't drink it every day, regular is unnecessarily strong so I'm happy doing decaf with cream any chance I get.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#15 of 31 Old 02-20-2010, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinleinesque View Post
The most recent evidence suggests that under 300mg of caffeine a day poses no known risk.

I've mostly cut it back to one coffee cup a day, though occasionally I have my normal two.
#16 of 31 Old 02-20-2010, 12:12 PM

I still drink a coffee in the morning. We make espresso, which apparently has less caffeine than most filter coffees because it is 100% arabica beans. I basically have coffee-flavoured milk, but it makes mornings bearable. I am only 4.5 weeks, though, and if this pregnancy is anything like my last, I will probably be completely off coffee within a couple of weeks.
#17 of 31 Old 02-20-2010, 12:26 PM

My first pg was a molar and my pregnancy symptoms were really heightened then and just the smell of coffee was enough to make me puke. With ds I just cut out coffee entirely because I was under the impression that coffee was a no no. I've since learned that a bit of coffee isn't so bad, and have the odd cup here and there and am finding it still very enjoyable.

caffix.gif

#18 of 31 Old 02-20-2010, 05:49 PM

I have an addiction, especially to iced coffee. I am limiting myself to one cup or less a day. I know that the whole caffeine during pregnancy is slightly overblown, but I still want to try to cut down. I do my coffee with A LOT of milk. It's pretty much 1/2 coffee and half milk.

As for decaf - be careful. My understanding is that the decaffeination process uses dangerous chemicals. There is water decaffeination, but it's rarely done. The common chemicals used are methylene chloride (dichloromethane), ethyl acetate and carbon dioxide (with activated charcoal). 8 out of 10 decafs use the first two solvents. Decaf is also more acidic.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#19 of 31 Old 02-20-2010, 07:39 PM

i'm addicted to chai lattes from starbucks and the occasional coffee but sigh, i'm holding back and miss it so much! with my m/c history, no caffiene at all - not even a cheat since the BFP. tried peggy's homemade chai and it was yummy but no starbucks. ah well, it will be worth it in the end.

Married 16 yrs to DH, DS (3/06) x4 (11/04) (3/08) (3/09) (8/09)
DD born 9/24/2010 :
#20 of 31 Old 03-05-2010, 04:29 PM

I'm currently drinking 1/2 decaf 1/2 caff. in an attempt to wean myself off of coffee I miss my fully caffeinated already!

Mom to Nora - 04/07 and Brendan - born still at 23 weeks - 07/10
#21 of 31 Old 03-05-2010, 10:49 PM

I miss my coffee! I cut it out entirely the first trimester, and then slowly incorporate decaf as the pregnancy goes on. I'm drinking decaf tea and it's not the same.

Girl #1: 2/14/08
Girl #2: 10/14/10
#22 of 31 Old 03-05-2010, 11:44 PM

I still drink my regular 2 cups of coffee a day.

I so thoroughly enjoy my coffee time-out's. I only get two during the day, and I want to keep them. Pregnancy is stressful, especially when you're looking after a 19mo, and I'm not cutting out ANY of those small routines during the day that make me happy. I guess I could just drink something else but I don't want to!

I am now using more cream than I usually do. I've probably gone down from two full cups to a cup and a half. I don't think it's really a big deal, especially if it's something that your body is accustomed too. But this is coming from someone who still takes the wine for a toast on holidays while pregnant. :

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#23 of 31 Old 03-05-2010, 11:52 PM

Be careful with Chai, its almost better to drink coffee.

Chai contains a big amount of coffein from black tea and spices that are supposed to induce labor.
also, Starbucks Chai is full of bad sugar and other generic ingredients

German midwives also recommend to stay away from black tea since it cuts down on the absorption of vitamins, mineral and calcium.

They recommend green tea if you need a pick me up and 1-2 cups of coffee are fine.
#24 of 31 Old 03-06-2010, 01:33 PM

I heart coffee....so much so that I have a tattoo of a cup spilling onto my foot, but this pregnancy did that in at about 2 days after conception...lol I havent been able to even stomach the smell of it at this point without it making me gag. I have been able to drink tea though, but I barely get through the cup before I have had enough. I remeber with my other 4 babes though, I drank a cup a day through the entire pregnancy, no problem. Not this time. I miss having that daily cup of joe.....

Unschooling Crunchy Mama of 5 babies. Welcome Emily-Rose born September 7th 2010!
#25 of 31 Old 03-06-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarissa215 View Post
Be careful with Chai, its almost better to drink coffee.

Chai contains a big amount of coffein from black tea and spices that are supposed to induce labor.
also, Starbucks Chai is full of bad sugar and other generic ingredients

German midwives also recommend to stay away from black tea since it cuts down on the absorption of vitamins, mineral and calcium.

They recommend green tea if you need a pick me up and 1-2 cups of coffee are fine.
Heh, I guess I'll go back to a plain latte. It's the same cost from the coffee cart.

The coffee cart had the gall to be CLOSED yesterday! They have one student worker who gets credit for running the cart (doing the business end and actually making/serving the coffee), and if she's sick or has to take a test... there's a sad little "closed" sign hung there.

#26 of 31 Old 03-06-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Ma_4 View Post
I heart coffee....so much so that I have a tattoo of a cup spilling onto my foot,
That is ultra cool. Pic?

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#27 of 31 Old 03-06-2010, 05:42 PM

I will get one before monday and post...absolutly..its sort of on my ankle and its tipped and it pours all over the top of my foot. designed it myself in fact. Love it

Unschooling Crunchy Mama of 5 babies. Welcome Emily-Rose born September 7th 2010!
#28 of 31 Old 03-07-2010, 11:57 PM

I do miss it. I've been drinking green tea, a pregnancy tea and hot cocoa in its place. Miss coffee, but can't really stomach it right now, sadly.

Kate (30), mama to Madi (4/18/08) and Jacob Douglas (10/8/10)
#29 of 31 Old 03-08-2010, 01:24 AM

GAH!

Coffee decided to make me nauseous today. My replacement is peppermint tea for the nausea, but the lack of caffeine hit me pretty hard.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#30 of 31 Old 03-08-2010, 09:56 AM

I'm still enjoying one cup in the morning - I brew a pot as soon as I get to work (they buy the really good stuff there!).

I want more, but it's been about a month now of one cup a day and I'm adjusting well. I drink pregnancy tea if I want to sip on something hot the rest of the day.

Thank goodness it's going to be 70 degrees here today - the warmer it is, the less coffee I want to drink.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page