midwife vs family practitioner - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-22-2010, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I had our first baby with our family practitioner and it went ok. Not fantastic, but totally ok. I really want a home birth with this kid and we have already interviewed a midwife. The main issue between DH and myself is the cost. The midwife would be $500-$750 more than than a hospital birth and that is a lot of money right now. Anyone else in the situation of having a hospital birth actually being significantly cheaper than a home birth?

obstruct livery vehicles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-22-2010, 11:41 PM

you deserve a better than "ok" birth experience. having had both, there's no comparison in the way a hb impacts your life. i saw an OB w/ pregnancy #3 because of the cost and by my 38th week forked over the cash and switched to my midwife. very grateful i did. (it's lovely talking w/ my now 10 yo about the very spot in my bedroom he was born. :heart) don't settle, your birth experience is just as important as having a heathy baby. (i think in this culture/day-and-age, we forget that, or aren't taught that.) it's not likey to be something you'd say you regret doing. :b

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Elora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Eilish Neve Isebeul, 6/12/14!
#3 of 5 Old 02-22-2010, 11:44 PM

Make the desision that you want and the money *will* come. My dh worked three jobs for a few months to raise the money for us-it meant that much. I don't regret it all. whats a few hundred dollars in a life time of beautiful memories?
#4 of 5 Old 02-22-2010, 11:45 PM

Do any midwives in your area do barter or trade arrangements? Could you ask friends and family to contribute to your birth fund in lieu of gifts?

For me, a hospital birth would be free, a midwife, assuming it's not at all covered by insurance, will cost me about $3,000-4,000.

That represents about 20% of my annual salary, but I'm still going to find the money. I'm not trying to say the money isn't important. It totally is and I get where you're coming from. The thing is for me that I've never heard anyone say they regret their homebirth experience (or their attempted homebirth for those who transferred) or that they regret spending the money.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#5 of 5 Old 02-23-2010, 09:33 AM

Yep. I'm in Alabama - midwives are not legal. : We've got to pay for ours out of pocket $3800 - and because everyone around here is so hb unfriendly, I've also got to do shadow care with an OB in case of transfer. He's a hb friendly OB and really cool - but that means we pay our co-pay on regular OB care as well as $3800 for the midwife. OUCH.

But I'm dedicated to a home birth and tell myself it will be worth it.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page