Has anyone else gained a lot of weight already? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-23-2010, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm only 7.5 weeks and have already put on 10 lbs! I think you're only supposed to gain 1-4 lbs in the entire first trimester. I am 5'1" and started out at 108 lbs. but got on the scale this morning and weigh 118 lbs! I have been eating healthier than I did before I was pregnant (I haven't had any nausea yet) so I'm not sure why but I used to drink a lot of coffee so perhaps I ate less even if it wasn't as healthy.

I'm 35 and this is my first pregnancy so I'm not sure what to expect but 10 lbs at 7.5 weeks seems excessive!

*** 5 **** 10 **** 15 **** 20 **** 25 **** 30 **** 35 * * * 40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 12:36 PM

My scale says I'm up 3 or 4 pounds but I think most of that is bloat!! With my last 2 pregnancies I "gained" like 8 or 10 pounds in the first couple months but then once I was unbloated it almost all went away

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
Old 02-23-2010, 12:41 PM

i stepped on the scale twice in a 7 day period and had a 4 lb gain! i too think it was just bloat/water weight. but i'm being extremely vigilant now.

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Elora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Eilish Neve Isebeul, 6/12/14!
Old 02-23-2010, 12:49 PM

I've only gained a pound or two, but I have started to "show" (likely bloat, but whatever. Bottom line, you can tell I'm preggo).

Then again, I haven't really been able to eat a whole lot. Getting through dinner is a particular struggle. I'm trying to eat more often, and smaller portions... as opposed to "meals."

I am already slightly overweight, so I'm wondering if I'll be able to keep the poundage gain to a minimum.

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:23 PM

DDC Crashing from September to say that I gained close to 20lbs in the first trimester in my first two pregnancies. I haven't gained anything at 12 weeks this time around. I don't have any words of wisdom to attribute to the difference, except that I started the first two about 20lbs lighter. I think my body just didn't need that extra weight to get going this time. I ate very well with all three, especially tried hard with my DS, my second pregnancy, but still gained 20lbs in the first trimester, and then 30lbs in the second and third, for a total of a 50lb gain. Although I'm glad I didn't gain this time, I didn't do anything different, so I'm not taking much credit here! Good luck, and as long as you are eating well, I would try not to stress about what you are gaining or not!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 02-23-2010, 01:29 PM

your weight is probably mostly water. it takes 3500 calories to equal a pound and i really doubt you've eaten 35000 extra calories without realizing it. i read that to reduce water retention, you can try cutting out caffeine (sounds like you've already done that), drinking more water, and eating foods like celery, asparagus and papaya. i've been doing that hoping that my weight gain was water but it's not helping. does the water retention thing last the whole pregnancy?

i was 110-112 before and now i'm 113.5. i'm almost 7 weeks and i feel like this weight gain happening too fast and like it's just going to keep getting worse because eating makes the nausea lessen so i am just eating continuously. i am going to try to drink diet ginger ale today instead of constant snacking on fruit since i think maybe i've been overeating.

i wish the weight gain recommendations were more clear and reliable. i feel like everywhere i look gives a different answer and i doubt the recommendations take into consideration how variable we are in water retention.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyavery View Post
DDC Crashing from September to say that I gained close to 20lbs in the first trimester in my first two pregnancies. I haven't gained anything at 12 weeks this time around. I don't have any words of wisdom to attribute to the difference, except that I started the first two about 20lbs lighter. I think my body just didn't need that extra weight to get going this time. I ate very well with all three, especially tried hard with my DS, my second pregnancy, but still gained 20lbs in the first trimester, and then 30lbs in the second and third, for a total of a 50lb gain. Although I'm glad I didn't gain this time, I didn't do anything different, so I'm not taking much credit here! Good luck, and as long as you are eating well, I would try not to stress about what you are gaining or not!
Thanks for crashing! It's nice to know I'm not the only one. I don't think I've ever been over 112 in my life so I feel huge. My pants are all too tight and I feel like I have weights on my ankles when I exercise. DH and are now wondering if there might be more than one bean in there.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macy View Post
i wish the weight gain recommendations were more clear and reliable. i feel like everywhere i look gives a different answer and i doubt the recommendations take into consideration how variable we are in water retention.
I know. I couldn't find much info on it either.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
Thanks for crashing! It's nice to know I'm not the only one. I don't think I've ever been over 112 in my life so I feel huge. My pants are all too tight and I feel like I have weights on my ankles when I exercise. DH and are now wondering if there might be more than one bean in there.
Oh man. Now I REALLY feel like a whale. I'm nearly 2 of you. Gah.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
Me too! Don't feel bad! I'm only 5 weeks and I had to buy a bella band this weekend because I can't sit comfortably all day at work without unbuttoning the top button on my jeans! The scale says I've gained about 2 pounds, but I really think it's bloat/water weight. I've been eating the same all along and it's all healthy stuff. But the bella band is sooooo comfy!

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

Old 02-23-2010, 04:40 PM

I'm easily two of you and then some.

My pants are fitting tighter, but I don't think I've actually gained weight, because they're fitting tighter only exactly at my belly, not the thighs, butt, hips, or anywhere else, and my shirts feel snug on my belly, so I think it's bloat.

I am eating A LOT but it's all very healthy, minus the fast food I just had for lunch. But otherwise, I've cut out caffeine almost entirely, coffee and tea just don't taste good, and I've cut out soda except ginger ale on occasion. I am eating lots of veggies and lots and lots and lots of protein.

I just got a belly band and a pair of preggo pants from a friend. The pants won't fit all the way through, but they'll fit me through the second tri. I wore them to work yesterday with the belly band to hold them up, and they were so much more comfortable than anything else I own, including my sweats.

So, yeah, bigger belly, but it's just bloat, I think.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
Old 02-23-2010, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
Don't feel bad. This is only my first. I'm sure by the time it's all said and done I'll be 2 of me too.

I think maybe the reason I feel so uncomfortably big is that NONE of my jeans fit and my MIL gives me an earful about wearing the same old drawstring sweats every day. I don't really like dresses either because I can feel (and hear) my thighs rubbing together. I guess maybe it will just take some getting used to? I didn't really want to invest in bigger clothes if I will just need an even bigger size in 3 weeks but I may have no choice. Maybe I will go up 2 or 3 sizes to be safe.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Don't feel bad. This is only my first. I'm sure by the time it's all said and done I'll be 2 of me too.

I think maybe the reason I feel so uncomfortably big is that NONE of my jeans fit and my MIL gives me an earful about wearing the same old drawstring sweats every day. I don't really like dresses either because I can feel (and hear) my thighs rubbing together. I guess maybe it will just take some getting used to? I didn't really want to invest in bigger clothes if I will just need an even bigger size in 3 weeks but I may have no choice. Maybe I will go up 2 or 3 sizes to be safe.
I strongly suggest getting comfy cotton guachos... they fit now and they stretch!! I have a pair on right now that I wear non-pregnant and that still fit me at 41 weeks last time!! Also skirts with wide elastic waists and dresses are good for not breaking the bank.

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
Old 02-23-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post
I strongly suggest getting comfy cotton guachos... they fit now and they stretch!! I have a pair on right now that I wear non-pregnant and that still fit me at 41 weeks last time!! Also skirts with wide elastic waists and dresses are good for not breaking the bank.
I second the gauchos!!!! I have brown, black and white so they can match like everything I have! I am gonna have to start wearing them. I have 2 pairs of pants that already don't fit! WTHECK!? I am gonna need to break out my bellaband soon too..in fact that reminds me I was gonna have hubby go get my maternity clothes back out because I am DYING for my pants already! I only have like 2 pairs of pants that really "fit" normally!

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

Old 02-23-2010, 05:45 PM

Oh i also wanted to add that w/ this pregnancy I feel like I have to constantly be eating something in order to keep the nausea away. With DD I lost 15 lbs in the beginning and gained that and then another 15 lbs by the end. This time I hope I don't gain a lot more but wouldn't doubt it because not only am I smaller, but I also really need to have something in my belly at all times in order to not feel blah!!

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

Old 02-23-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Haha it's okay, I had JUST weighed myself before I read this thread, so wahhh! I'm over it now (kind of...)

I had to move up to size 16 jeans right before I found out i was pregnant, now they're getting tight, uggh.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:19 PM

I think I'm just going to avoid the scale this time around.

But last summer I was wearing a size 12... squeezing into a 10 on occasion... and over the holidays/New Year I jumped to a size 18 in relatively short succession. I can't really blame that on the baby... but it really makes no sense because my eating habits did not change THAT much.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
Old 02-23-2010, 08:06 PM

The other night I stepped on the wii fit and I had gained 3.9 lbs since my last weigh in...the day before!!

Then I remembered the 3+ lb heating pad I had tucked into my pants for my back pain.

Seriously, this is my sixth. And here are my stats:
#1: started at 150, delivered at 215 (pre-e, lots of water weight) 65# total
#2: started at 140, delivered at 195 55# total
#3: started at 160, delivered at 205 45# total
#4: started at 175ish, delivered at 230ish 55# total
#5: started at 175, delivered at 225 #50 total

So I personally feel my body is programmed to gain about 50ish pounds with pg. I don't really eat all that differently when pg, if anything, I usually eat MORE healthy while pg and eat less sweets, etc. It is what it is. I don't fit the book much to every doctor's chagrin and lecturing of me.

I certainly need to exercise more and I'm hoping to keep up my routine on the wii fit (step for 20 minutes, 3-5x/week). I've got 5 kids and I work full time and we're a one income family, so it's not like I've got the time or money to spend on the gym or some fancy exercise routine. It's just not in the cards. I'm freaking spent by the time I get home, help with homework, etc.

Basically as long as *I* know I'm not doing anything disgusting or over the top, I don't get wound up about my weight anymore. I started this pg about 175# and I'm already almost 185# at 8 wks. I figure I'll likely be 225# when I deliver, hopefully not, but we'll see...

I just don't fit in the textbook and I don't care. That's why I'm really hopeful I can see a midwife for all my prenatals again. My 4th pg was the best b/c I stepped on a scale at the beginning and at the end and that was it. No stress. No lectures.

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

Old 02-24-2010, 01:16 PM

Yep, almost 10 lbs here too. I've swiched to wearing PJs/sweats at home and skirts when I'm at work (part time,which is good, because I only own 3 skirts)My jeans are a thing of the past, or hopefully, the future. lol

Amy - mom to Brooke (March '01), Luke (Oct '05), Jaiden (March '08), and Wyatt (Oct '10)!

Old 02-24-2010, 02:30 PM

I really need to exercise, too. I cancelled my curves membership last year to save money. I haven't been using my Wii fit either (I can't use it with the kids up because they're all over me and by the time they go to bed I'm too tired!) I try to take a 4 mile walk every day when the weather is nice, so I hope it warms up soon.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

I had my first prenatal appointment yesterday and the doctor said not to worry about the weight I've gained so far since I started out on the lower end of "normal" BMI. She just said to continue to exercise and eat healthy foods and keep an eye on it over the next 4 weeks until my next appointment.

We tried to listen for a heartbeat but couldn't find it yet but I'm scheduled for an ultrasound soon so that's pretty exciting.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:32 PM

in my first 2 pregnancies I gained a total of 20 pounds. The second two pregnancies I gained a total of 30 pounds. (One of them I lost 8 pounds before I gained anything)

This time I'm just over 6 weeks and have already gained 5 pounds. My 12yo swears it's twins, dd4 says we're having 2 babies, my friend "cursed" me, and twins seem to be rampant around here. Small town type area and I have 3 friends who have twins.

How long until I get to have an ultrasound to confirm the number of babies I'm carrying?

Is it twins or am I just going to gain a lot of weight this time?

Amanda : mom to : ds's 14, 12, 9, 1 & dd6

Old 02-24-2010, 10:43 PM

I was just about to start this very thread. I've gained 10 pounds already and I'm only 8 weeks! It's hard because I constantly have to eat so that I'm not nauseated. I haven't been exercising like I should because I've felt like crap and have been so tired. I'm pretty optimistic that my weight loss will even out as the weeks go by. Here's to hoping anyway!

Me, married to DH, my childhood sweetheart. Lucky mom to an amazing DD (10/15/10), , a funny little DS (1/11/13) , and 3 silly dogs. Expecting someone new February 14, 2015!
Old 02-25-2010, 12:02 AM

It looks like I've gained around 4 lbs at 7 weeks. This is after coming off of a long weight loss so a large part is probably my body adjusting.

I'm having a hard time with the no sweets though and this morning I had a second breakfast of scrambled egg, biscuit & gravy, and sausage. I'm with the others in that the only thing to really help my nausea is eating.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
Old 02-25-2010, 03:14 PM

With my first pregnancy I gained 12 lbs in the first trimester. I started out very fit but then puffed out right away. I was still eating well but I think the big dip in my activity level is what contributed the most.

This time I'm already up 4 lbs at 8 weeks. I'm not going to sweat it though, it will all come off after the baby is born (I hope).
Old 03-21-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I'm only 7.5 weeks and have already put on 10 lbs! I think you're only supposed to gain 1-4 lbs in the entire first trimester. I am 5'1" and started out at 108 lbs. but got on the scale this morning and weigh 118 lbs! I have been eating healthier than I did before I was pregnant (I haven't had any nausea yet) so I'm not sure why but I used to drink a lot of coffee so perhaps I ate less even if it wasn't as healthy.

I'm 35 and this is my first pregnancy so I'm not sure what to expect but 10 lbs at 7.5 weeks seems excessive!
Im somewhere around the 9-10 week area and im not too sure how much wieght ive agained but i do know that i didnt start showing til about 5 months with my last 2 and this time i dont know what happen im huge!!! like you i am 5'1'' but i weighted like 135 before i got pregnant and i havent weighted myself in like 3 weeks but i really dont want to either....

User Tag List