first ob appt - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-23-2010, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Everything about the baby (8 weeks and 2 days today) looks good.

Me on the other hand... I still have that annoying cyst, but she said it should be getting better withing the next few weeks. She ordered the papers from my ER visit on the 14th and apparently I have low platelets, elevated liver enzymes, and I am really anemic. Even with the prenatals I have with Iron, they arent enough... soo I got an rx for iron pills.

She ordered a bunch of labs to see what was going on with me, and a 24 hour urine. (its always fun keeping pee in your fridge... not)

If its not one thing its another. Ha. I go back in 4 weeks. And she told me no way, no how, was she allowing me to do a VBAC. I broke down and cried. I am going to contact my ICAN person and ask them about any friendly VBAC obgyns around.

"Damn it man, I'm a doctor, not a physicist!" -Bones McCoy. Ds1 6 bouncy.gif Dd1 4 energy.gifDd2 5 months baby.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2010, 10:40 AM

Glad to hear everything with the baby is okay. Hopefully you can get all your stuff figured out soon.

Is your OB against VBAC's in general, or just for your situation? Hopefully you can find a provider that will be supportive of your wishes.

Aimee - Wife to one hard working DH, SAHM to DD - Sunshine (5), DD - Cupcake (3), DS - Boo (1), and expecting a Surprise - Oct 2010!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Glad the baby is doing well, sorry the rest of the visit didn't go well.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:45 PM

"Allowing" you? Please contact ICAN ASAP and find a new doctor.

Iron absorption from most pills is usually poor. Check out a local health food store or Whole Foods and get Floradix liquid iron supplement. It tastes like feet, but it works great and is more bio-available than a pill.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Old 02-24-2010, 01:19 PM

Ick. Is a midwife an option?

Amy - mom to Brooke (March '01), Luke (Oct '05), Jaiden (March '08), and Wyatt (Oct '10)!

Old 02-25-2010, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

The midwife here only does homebirths. All I want is a go at a vbac in a hospital. I've already contacted my (well the closest 4hrs away) ican lady... :-/

I know they cannot force me into surgery- but I also don't want to hear it from my dr for the nxt 7 months about how I'm gonna kill my baby and be afraid of not getting good care.

Any suggestions?

"Damn it man, I'm a doctor, not a physicist!" -Bones McCoy. Ds1 6 bouncy.gif Dd1 4 energy.gifDd2 5 months baby.gif
Old 02-25-2010, 07:15 PM

Did you offer to sign a vbac "consent" form? My OB had been pressuring me to schedule a rcs until I mentioned that, then she visibly relaxed and never mentioned it again (and I had a great hospital VBA2C). I think she was concerned I was going to sue her if something beyond her control went wrong (that happens a lot).
Old 02-25-2010, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

No! I never even heard of it! What do I ask for? What exactly does it do?

Old 02-25-2010, 08:53 PM

Basically it just says that you understand and accept the risks, pretty much like what you have to sign before a c/s. vbac.com has an example- http://www.vbac.com/informed/consentform.html
Old 02-25-2010, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

And your dr was supportive of you after you signed this? Wow. Okay- thank you so much! I am going to ask about this at my next appointment

User Tag List