Junk food! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-25-2010, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why oh why am I only craving junk food?!? Until a couple of weeks ago I ate really healthy, tried to avoid processed food save the rare chocolate bar here and there. Since about 6 weeks pg I have been having major food aversions, to all the things we eat regularly. I always roast a chicken on Sundays and then make soup for lunch for the rest of the week out of the carcass, well forget that! I made the chicken last Sunday and I almost puked all night and DH boiled the carcass and the smell made me so ill. I can't eat any veggies except carrot sticks, chicken is way off limits, tofu is YUCK, all the foods I used to love are no longer appetizing. The things I can eat/crave? Ramen noodles with the MSG flavoured sauce powder, mac & cheese, Honey Nut Cheerios, cupcakes, chocolate, cake, egg mcmuffins (the homemade variety but with processed cheese) etc etc. All the stuff I used to hate! I'm trying to set a good example for DD with eating healthy but now all she sees me eating is junk. It's also extremely hard for me to do meal planning because the thought of any food I usually make makes me run to the toilet, but I don't want to cheat DH and DD out of nutritious food! How has everyone else dealt with food aversions and still feeding their families nutritiously?

Leah - Wife to Joshua (April 22nd, 2006) , Mama to Scarlett (April 17th, 2007) and Vera (October 23rd, 2010)
#2 of 21 Old 02-25-2010, 06:07 PM

Forget it. The first trimester is so miserable for me, that all bets are off. I don't cook if I can't handle it, which is most days, and I eat anything that I can keep down. If that means McDonalds and ice cream then fine.

My daughter will have a chopped up hot dog for lunch today, and I will have toast because that's the only thing I can bear to look at in my fridge right now. I'll make up for it later.

Girl #1: 2/14/08
Girl #2: 10/14/10
#3 of 21 Old 02-25-2010, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

1st trimester sucks, be gentle on yourself. You won't ruin your daughter, I promise We're having pizza tonight because dh has class and I can't even think about dragging myself into the kitchen to cook It actually doesn't sound particularly appetizing, but nothing else does, either
#4 of 21 Old 02-25-2010, 06:24 PM

Oh and yeah, I totally had a deluxe angus burger from McD's for lunch (with fries, even! :P) The fries were meh, but oh my, that burger was delicious. It was all I could think about so I ate it and don't feel bad about it.
#5 of 21 Old 02-25-2010, 06:36 PM

I'm eating a bowl of Cocoa Puffs right now.

I just... wow, everything has seemed so nasty for weeks, now I'm actually HUNGRY but am afraid cooking will set off the gagging and aversions again... I mean, at least I'm getting some calcium from the milk, right?

This will blow over. I'm so ready to get back to Traditional Foods again, but right now, I just need some calories.

treehugger.gif SAHM with a precious toddler and the love of my life, expecting a new little one July 2014!
#6 of 21 Old 02-25-2010, 06:43 PM

i dragged my dh to the store w/ me today becuase i can't bear that thought of food, let alone coming up w/ meal ideas, and i'd been putting off the trip for two weeks at least. i set him loose w/ the words: think what you and the kids will want because you're on your own. (the basket soon filled w/ frozen pot pies and pizzas...)

and what we had for lunch beforehand? spicy buffalo wings w/ blue cheese dressing. i haven't had that in.... ever. :/

crazy, crazy time the first tri. (i feel like i've been transported to another planet)

(aka ladyelms)
#7 of 21 Old 02-25-2010, 08:55 PM

I just housed a pepperoni pizza from pizza hut and had the strongest desire to make homemade lemon icing (no cake required). I just ate it right out of the bowl. Cookies are in the oven as we speak, and I got Chik-fil-a and Mcdonalds in the same day!

So don't feel bad. lol.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#8 of 21 Old 02-25-2010, 09:03 PM

Nutrition isn't about what you eat in a meal, it's more about the forest and less about the trees, so aim for them and you to eat something reasonable over the course of a week or two.

I've been doing really well, but the past few days I've been getting sick, so everything has that off taste to it, and that which doesn't taste off, tastes like nothing at all.

I just brought a plate of lettuce, two pieces of dry toast, and a container of chicken salad to my desk to eat dinner, and so far I've had one bite of chicken and one piece of toast and all the lettuce.

And I ate a gigantic chocolate shake from Burger Freakin' King this afternoon!

I say go with it! Eat what you can.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#9 of 21 Old 02-25-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtMPapa View Post
Nutrition isn't about what you eat in a meal, it's more about the forest and less about the trees, so aim for them and you to eat something reasonable over the course of a week or two.
Exactly. I didn't eat so well today, but I ate really well the two days before hand, so I'm not worried
#10 of 21 Old 02-26-2010, 01:37 AM

I am glad I am not the only one. I've been eating pop-tarts. Well, the Nature Valley toaster pastries, so at least they are organic

It's so tough to eat anything at all. But like the previous posters have said, just make some smart choices along the way and that will help equal out the junk.

And a homemade egg mcmuffin sounds really really good right now. I think I'll go make one...
#11 of 21 Old 02-26-2010, 03:26 PM

One of the op had said they had the delux angus from McDs and so- because I'm easily influenced- I had that for dinner yesterday. Huge mistake. I now have a very strong aversion to all fast food places... Not that it's a bad thing. The queasy feeling has yet to dwindle and I had to force down breakfast and fight to keep it there. :-/ First trimester is a pain.

It's worth it though........ I guess

"Damn it man, I'm a doctor, not a physicist!" -Bones McCoy. Ds1 6 bouncy.gif Dd1 4 energy.gifDd2 5 months baby.gif
#12 of 21 Old 02-26-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceratops View Post
One of the op had said they had the delux angus from McDs and so- because I'm easily influenced- I had that for dinner yesterday. Huge mistake. I now have a very strong aversion to all fast food places... Not that it's a bad thing. The queasy feeling has yet to dwindle and I had to force down breakfast and fight to keep it there. :-/ First trimester is a pain.

It's worth it though........ I guess
haha! Sorry :P Hope it passes soon. I'm having one of those days where I have to force myself to eat. Guess that works since it's Lent and I'm supposed to fast today, anyway. I've had a bagel and a salad and I fee icky.
#13 of 21 Old 02-26-2010, 04:13 PM

This is totally me... All that sounds good or even remotely eatable is sonic breakfast burritos and ramen noodles and honey nut cheerios... My kids are eating a lot of hot dog and chicken nuggets and canned fruit and various pasta... It doesn't help that dh is in the field for a month so he isn't even here to help cook!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#14 of 21 Old 02-26-2010, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry if this is TMI but my digestive system is kicking my butt for eating all that junk food... oy vey.

Leah - Wife to Joshua (April 22nd, 2006) , Mama to Scarlett (April 17th, 2007) and Vera (October 23rd, 2010)
#15 of 21 Old 02-26-2010, 07:50 PM

I have food aversions for EVERYTHING right now. bagels and cream cheese are doable but not much else... right now hot wings sound yummy weird..

Happily married, crunchy mama crazy in love with our little man, Bam bam (10/5/10) due aug 2014 with our rainbow bean missing our 3 angel babies (9/09, 7/12, 12/12)
#16 of 21 Old 02-26-2010, 09:08 PM

My own and only craving so far was a milkshake..........YUM! I didn't even get to have one, but I DID have chocolate raw milk for breakfast which was ALMOST as good as a milk shake...

And we just went out for mexican and ate a TON of food. I feel like I could puke from eating too much...

AND i realized that I look like I'm showing already! WTH!?!?!? I'm 6 weeks tomorrow and my gut is TOTALLY sticking out! I feel like my uterus is pushing my intestines up!! EEEKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

#17 of 21 Old 02-26-2010, 10:05 PM

I'm showing already too Tara... I am blaming the fact that this is my third kid in 3 years... my body has got to be like hey look, we know what we are doing!!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#18 of 21 Old 02-26-2010, 11:31 PM

I don't even want good junk food, it's all crap. I just ate a Banquet potpie for dinner.

obstruct livery vehicles

#19 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
I don't even want good junk food, it's all crap. I just ate a Banquet potpie for dinner.

Last night for dinner I had mozzarella sticks and curly fries from Arby's. It was all I could choke down without wanting to puke.

And I can not get enough unsweetened ice tea (and cold water)! I always have been a big water drinker, but usually I have a problem with drinking too much pop. I've tried to drink a couple pops and it makes me really queasy. Funny because with my son I was always craving ice cold Coca Cola (and it HAD to be Coke, no other brand would do!)
#20 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 03:33 PM

I'm all for McDonald's at the moment. Yum! But I am still craving fruit so surely that cancels it out right?

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#21 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 08:42 PM

I'm happy to eat many things as long as it hasn't been cooking in my house. the cooking smells are just so nasty. I have no idea how I'm going to make my bone broth. puke.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page