What baby stuff do you KNOW you won't use/have to buy? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 02-28-2010, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Monarchgrrl - I don't think changing tables are necessary at all. I always changed ds on the floor by just throwing a blanket down. I'm going to buy one though (probably more of a dresser but put a changing pad on top) simply because i like them for cloth diaper storage, and for my dh. He is very tall and has knee/foot issues - so I think he's going to be more likely to change on a changing table! They are really not a baby necessity though!

Wipe warmers - first, I've never used them with disposable wipes as we do cloth. But they come with a pad you keep moist and that keeps the wipes from browning. I really think as long as you keep the pad damp you would be fine. I used mine from itty bitty baby all the way through potty training at age 3. It was a convenient place to store our cloth wipes & homemade wipe solution all in one place. The fact that the wipes were kept warm was just a plus. You can just as easily keep your wipes in a pile and use a spray or squirt bottle - but I really liked the convenience of having the wipes pre-wet and warm. Will certainly purchase one again this time.

I forgot to add above that we need an infant carseat. I am torn between just buying a convertable and using that from day one - or going the infant carrier route. I didn't carry ds around in the infant carrier much at all - and we switched to a Britax convertable by the time he was 5 months old. Anyone else thinking about skipping the infant seat?

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#32 of 41 Old 02-28-2010, 11:55 AM

Mistymama - yeah, I'm thinking I'll be skipping the infant seat. It really bothers me when I see babies always in their buckets, but it's also a very handy way to have a seat at a restaurant or something for a baby who isn't yet sitting, so I'm slightly torn. Then again, I don't take my car everywhere, ideally, I'll have this kid in an infant seat on a bike by about six/seven months old.

Also, it will save me some $$$. I would not be comfortable using a used car seat unless I know exactly where it came from, meaning, I have a personal relationship with the person who bought it new and I *know* it didn't get in an accident or fall down stairs. I've seen so many ads on Freecycle saying, we stored it in our (uninsulated) attic since our kids used it ten years ago, should be fine...or safely stored under our porch....or whatever. Those seats look fine, but they could have major stress from temperature changes.

I saw a seat at Target yesterday for $150, I think it was a Graco, and it RFs to 40 lbs (35? something like that...) and FFs to 65. Of course, height is an issue, most kids I've known have maxed their seat's safe height long before weight.

What are the top Britax seats up to these days? I looked into all this stuff when I first started trying, but now I have no idea. At some point, I had a complete registry of all the best stuff that I wanted, but that is long gone.

If I do get a "bucket" infant seat, it will be a cheap one that I'm not planning to use for long. And I'll likely only get one if my kiddo doesn't fit well in a convertible at first, which does happen, apparently.

xtara - A lot of guys (self included) prefer the more structured carriers, and they seem more "manly." I personally really like the Ergo and Beco carriers, I'll probably get an Ergo myself, in Camel or one of the plainer colours, but not black (shows too much cat hair!)

I also really like Mei Tai carriers, and I already have one that I've used with other people's kids.

Monarchgrrl - not at all. I really want the dresser/storage part of the changing table I want. I'm quite tall, my bed is on the floor, and I have hardwood everywhere. What I would do if I didn't have one is get the soft topper for one and keep it under my couch along with a basket of changing supplies, so I could just pull it out, change the baby, and slide it back. Except for me, everything would be covered in hair, because I have so many pets.

As kids get older, it's easier to change 'em where they are, too. I think it's more useful with cloth diapers to have a central storage area because they're so much bulkier than unused disposables. I don't think I'll be running to the changing table for every change.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#33 of 41 Old 02-28-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtMPapa View Post

I really want a specific changing table. Well, more like, I have designed a changing table made up of a couple of pieces of IKEA trofast furniture, and that's what I'll be building, my own IKEA hacker design as both changing table and diaper/clothing storage.
Okay, I am really curious about this! Care to say more?

Monarchgrrl - changing tables seem to be a very personal choice. We had a (very tall) changing table with DD that we loved, and since DH and I are both quite tall (6'4" and 5'10" respectively), the height of her changing table made all the difference. If we had just gotten any old changing table, it would have sucked big time. Even having the changing table, we used the floor, the bed, and the couch plenty -- just throw down a dry pad (we loved the Swaddlebees ones, PUL on one side to catch anything runny or leaky) and change and go. We lived in temporary housing for 3 months and survived just fine with just the Swaddlebees pads -- but frankly even prefolds would have worked, though I preferred having the waterproof layer. FWIW, we had the pads around anyhow because we EC and do a lotof diaper-free time, so they were getting lots of use regardless.

mistymama - we are considering skipping the infant seat, but here are the things that are making us lean towards having one after all: 1) late fall/winter baby -- more reason for taking the seat out of the car (which we hardly ever did with DD, who was a spring baby). 2) 2nd child -- some friends have warned me that sometimes it's tough to get the older child into the car if you're still wearing the baby, so things that you wouldn't have done with the older child (like using a stroller with the infant seat in it) suddenly become more practical. So I'm thinking I'll actually use an infant seat and a stroller that fits it, take that combo in with me when I go somewhere, but still wear the new baby when I'm there...but put baby back into the infant seat before heading out to the car so that it's easier to get DD in. Anyhow, that's my current theory, subject to much change over the next few months. Who knows, DD (who is about to turn 3 and is rear-facing and requires a lot of effort to get into her car seat) may ultimately be forward-facing by then (though I hope not) and be getting into her seat by herself...or I could be dreaming!

Sorry for the long post, I'm a car seat nut and love talking about them

DD March 2007...happily nursing, EC graduated, family-bed-sharing family... expecting another in early November!
#34 of 41 Old 02-28-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Mistymama - yeah, I'm thinking I'll be skipping the infant seat. It really bothers me when I see babies always in their buckets, but it's also a very handy way to have a seat at a restaurant or something for a baby who isn't yet sitting, so I'm slightly torn. Then again, I don't take my car everywhere, ideally, I'll have this kid in an infant seat on a bike by about six/seven months old.

Also, it will save me some $$$. I would not be comfortable using a used car seat unless I know exactly where it came from, meaning, I have a personal relationship with the person who bought it new and I *know* it didn't get in an accident or fall down stairs. I've seen so many ads on Freecycle saying, we stored it in our (uninsulated) attic since our kids used it ten years ago, should be fine...or safely stored under our porch....or whatever. Those seats look fine, but they could have major stress from temperature changes.

I saw a seat at Target yesterday for $150, I think it was a Graco, and it RFs to 40 lbs (35? something like that...) and FFs to 65. Of course, height is an issue, most kids I've known have maxed their seat's safe height long before weight.

What are the top Britax seats up to these days? I looked into all this stuff when I first started trying, but now I have no idea. At some point, I had a complete registry of all the best stuff that I wanted, but that is long gone.
Ugh, I totally agree -- I couldn't stomach buying a used car seat unless I realllllly knew the history. I do sell them, though, since I know the history of my seats. Hope that doesn't make me a hypocrite!

The seat you saw sounds like the Graco MyRide 65 -- it RFs to 40lbs. It doesn't have a ton of height to it, though. We tried it out yesterday because DD is ~33lbs and is getting close to the RF limit on her True Fit (more on this in a sec), and I'd like to keep her RF until closer to 4 (or beyond) and our car is small small small and won't fit a Radian, which is what we have in our other car and that RFs until 40lbs (and the new Radians RF to 45lbs!). Anyhow, I'd worry about her outgrowing the MyRide by height before weight for sure. She had 3" above her head...not a lot of buffer.

Anyhow, re: the Britax seats -- I wouldn't bother, personally. They may have the reputation as the Cadillac of car seats thanks to their great marketing department, but they haven't kept up with the technical innovations of the last couple of years, so they don't have any seats that RF past 35lbs, they are much more expensive than some other great alternatives, and they take up a TON of room in the car because of their huge bases. All this coming from someone who owned a Britax as our first convertible. That being said, they're great seats in general.

However, I *vastly* prefer the First Years True Fit as a great convertible seat that actually does fit all but the smallest of newborns (the lowest harness height can sometimes be too high for some small babies) and still fits my 35-month-old. It is super-easy to get a great install with LATCH or a seatbelt, and it's the easiest seat to clean I've ever run into (and I'm kind of a car seat junkie). The only drawback is that it does only RF to 35lbs, but it's so tall that it would be hard to imagine a child who would outgrow by height before weight. Best part? You can find them for under $150 on Amazon if you're not picky about the cover!

DD March 2007...happily nursing, EC graduated, family-bed-sharing family... expecting another in early November!
#35 of 41 Old 02-28-2010, 12:35 PM

My changing table plan is two of these Trofast units bolted together one on top of the other, and then either the IKEA changing table top for the Trofast, or innovate my own (the changing table top is no longer sold in the US, but is sometimes available in stores that happen to have it laying around).

I'd have to mount it to the wall for stability. IKEA sells a similar already-done frame to what I'm imagining, so I wouldn't need two, and it would be cheaper, but they are arranged so they wouldn't hold as many Trofast bins.

I really like the Trofast bins, they work well for my desire for no-fuss organization. I use them for work stuff, each project gets a bin and as long as I only take out one at a time, the entire project's materials (books, papers, DVDs, CDs, magazines, whatever) can all go right back in and it can be put away.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#36 of 41 Old 02-28-2010, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the carseat info, Calihannah!

How do you feel about the Radian? It's very expensive, but also seems like a great seat.

#37 of 41 Old 02-28-2010, 12:54 PM

That Trofast concept sounds really neat! Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Thanks for the carseat info, Calihannah!

How do you feel about the Radian? It's very expensive, but also seems like a great seat.
I love love love our Radian XT. It was expensive, but we will also use it until DD is at least 6 or 7, maybe longer depending on her growth curve. So the "cost per use" is very, very low. It is similar in price to the non-Marathon Britax seats, especially if you look for the few times a year that it goes on sale or if you have a great coupon from Diapers.com (free shipping, free returns). I STRONGLY recommend trying the seat in your car, though, because it can be hard to get a good install. With the infant padding, it can also fit very, very young babies, though like the True Fit, not the smallest infants because of the height of the bottom harness slots.

Cons: it takes up a lot of front-to-back room in the car when installed RFing, and it is VERY heavy and awkward to carry (though it does fold up, I just don't go through the hassle very often). The True Fit is only 2-3lbs lighter but is much easier to carry because of how it is shaped. We travel a LOT, so we always take the True Fit when we travel instead of the Radian. If you're not doing a lot of travel and uninstall/reinstall activity and it fits well in your primary car, the Radian's drawbacks are minimized

#38 of 41 Old 03-01-2010, 02:44 AM

we have 2 radians RFing in our 4runner...it is a bit tight but we love love love these seats. we didnt' use infant seats but our babies were both on the tall side (22")

we also LOVE our tripp trapp high chairs. we also have 2. they have a small footprint, are super quick and easy to clean and for us, since our table seats 6 but we only had 4 chairs, the 2 TTs made a complete set.

for this baby we won't need much. clothes, diapers, carriers, stroller are all covered. won't need crib, changing table, swing, saucer, monitor. i want some of the big swaddling blankets and a couple of nice teethers. thats it. (and maybe a new carseat...depending on what we do with our car situation)

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#39 of 41 Old 03-01-2010, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the seat info, so helpful!! I have not started to do research yet for this little one - and as you can see from my sig, my ds is nearly 8. So yeah, Britax was the best back when he was a baby - but I have heard that's no longer the case.

What do you guys think about the Chicco infant seat? Not sure of the model # or anything yet. I ask because a good friend of ours has one she is willing to let us use. It's just about one year old and was used for maybe 6 months with their dd.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#40 of 41 Old 03-02-2010, 10:36 AM

For DD, in the entire first year we bought an Ergo, one organic cotton blanket, an assortment of cloth diapers, a 3 pack of white long-sleeved onsies, a breast pump and bottles (i was working about 60-80 hrs per week her first year), nursing bras, nursing pads, and eventually, once she got too distractible, a nursing cover, 2 nursing blouses for me.

Everything else we needed and didn't need we got as hand-me-downs or gifts.

Some of that felt like a blessing, some a burden in our very small apt.

What we actually used:
the stuff above that we bought
about 1/3 of the hand-me-down cloths
our bed
the bouncy seat (for the occasional 5 minutes she wasn't glued to us in the first 7 or so months--for instance while we showered)
sunhats
a sling
a nice dresser/changing table combo
a bumbo seat (we fed her there, sitting on the floor until we got a high chair as a gift)
the car seat

what i thought we'd use but didn't

the crib
the boppy pillow (she just kind of fell into it)
a glider

We didn't have a stroller, baby monitor, or most things that you are told you need.

One necessity rarely mentioned, worth every penny: an awesome digital camera
#41 of 41 Old 03-03-2010, 02:58 AM

The Chicco KeyFit 30 is THE seat to have if you're going to use an infant seat, according to my Child Passenger Safety tech friends and all the good people over at car-seat.org That's what we'll be getting for this babe if we decide to get an infant seat at all (looking more and more likely as we think about fall/winter rainy weather and the interesting changes that come with having two children vs. one).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page