Weekly Chat Mar 1-7 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2010, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calihannah View Post
So this is a question I keep running up against -- if you're planning a HB but also have another care provider (whether for dual care or just for early on), how do you broach the subject of the homebirth with your other care provider?

I'm seeing my OB from DD's birth right now for the first tri because I'm a nervous wreck and need the interventionist care early on that I absolutely DON'T want later in pregnancy. I do know that I don't want to birth with her again, though.

So...how do you broach this topic with your care provider, or do you just wait until you're ready to break up with them, so to speak?
Good question - I may start a new thread on this throwing out ideas. I really like this new OB I found (he was honored at a local birth convention for supporting natural birth and believes in midwives, etc) - he would not freak if I decided to have a HB. But I really like him and part of me wants to just try to birth naturally in the hospital with him. But then I tell myself that's crazy, I'm going to need a doula and to fight off hospital staff I'm sure the whole time.... It's a hard choice because I need his interventions right now , plus I'm a vbac with history of a premature baby. *sigh*

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FtMPapa View Post

I am doing the n/t 11-12 week scan, but mostly just so I can get a really good luck a the baby, I'm not really worried about a trisomy or a neural tube defect, I just want the u/s.
Me, too! I used to work with adults with Downs Syndrome and the possibility of having a child with it does not phase me in the least, but I reaaaally want to get a good look at baby. Especially since the NT is done around the gestation that my son died, I'm all ready feeling half crazy, I'm sure by 14 weeks I'll be hysterical. NTD worries me more, though it's unlikely, but if the baby was anencephalic or something I'd want to know so we could choose a mode of delivery that would give the baby the best chance of surviving birth, so that we could have some time together.
Quote:
I just got one too! I got this one

I should get it in about a week! I'm so excited! My MW said she thought I'd be able to hear the HB around 8 weeks or so because of how big my uterus is already! That would be AMAZING!!
That would be awesome! I'll definitely try to hear the hb when I get it, but I'm fat and I'll probably only be like 9 weeks so I'm not anticipating being able to pick it up. That would be awesome, though
Old 03-02-2010, 11:56 AM

xtara2003x: For drinking the straight cranberry juice, you can also try mixing it with club soda. That doesn't have sugar and the carbonation really helps me at least dealing with the strong cranberry juice. You really don't need to go to an OB to confirm a UTI if you have a regular GP that you see or a family doctor.

If you do want to switch from an OB to a MW during your pregnancy, there is no reason you need to bring it up with the OB before you ask for your records and cancel your future appointments. You can if you want, of course, but there's no real medical reason to do so. And they have to release a copy of your records to your new care provider (without charging). If they hassle you, your MW can give you a records request form that you can give to the OB.

I switched from an OB practice to a practice of CNMs last time at 30 weeks and, other than not having the time to get to know everybody in the practice, I didn't have any issues. And actually I never told an OB, I just gave the records request to the receptionist and told her I was canceling my appointments because I was switching care providers.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
Old 03-03-2010, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Old 03-03-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
xtara2003x: For drinking the straight cranberry juice, you can also try mixing it with club soda. That doesn't have sugar and the carbonation really helps me at least dealing with the strong cranberry juice. You really don't need to go to an OB to confirm a UTI if you have a regular GP that you see or a family doctor.

If you do want to switch from an OB to a MW during your pregnancy, there is no reason you need to bring it up with the OB before you ask for your records and cancel your future appointments. You can if you want, of course, but there's no real medical reason to do so. And they have to release a copy of your records to your new care provider (without charging). If they hassle you, your MW can give you a records request form that you can give to the OB.

I switched from an OB practice to a practice of CNMs last time at 30 weeks and, other than not having the time to get to know everybody in the practice, I didn't have any issues. And actually I never told an OB, I just gave the records request to the receptionist and told her I was canceling my appointments because I was switching care providers.
Thanks Eresh!!

I ended up going in to a walk in clinic last night because I had pink spotting and I couldn't tell if it was due to my UTI or coming from my vaginal area. I think it was coming from both areas....

Anyway, they tested my urine and sure enough, I have a pretty big infection (even though I have no symptoms). They gave me a generic version of macrodantin which is very commonly used in early pregnancy for UTI's.

I really didn't want to have to take it..but I did try that D mannose powder and it did NOT work. I think had I caught it early enough it may have...but because mine is bad, and I've had it for well over a week (probably much longer) that I don't reallly have a choice.

Anyway, I called the CNM that delivered my daughter, and she called me last night. I asked her to do an order for HCG and progesterone. She agreed but said she can't really read the progesterone results, so I'd have to get an OB to read the results to me and she is out of the office tomorrow. She gave me the name of an OB to read me the results so that's good....I am hoping later today they tell me the results are nice and high for being like 6.5 weeks pregnant. I go back on Friday to get another test done and then to compare the two.

It's been a bit of a roller coaster this time. Ugh. I think I'm gonna schedule an appt with the CNM too, and talk to her about an early ultrasound. She mentioned we could do it if my HCG levels were high enough. At this point I need some kind of reassurance or I'm going to go insane. I'm so emotional and weepy it's just NOT fun. *deep breath*

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I'm still doing the pure cranberry juice and drinking a crap ton of water.

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

Old 03-03-2010, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

I think the macrodantin is a good idea. My friend is 14 weeks pregnant and just had to be hospitalized for 2 days because of a nasty UTI. she didn't have any symptoms either, other than her m/s got a hundred times worse, which is what prompted her to go to the ER (she was severely dehydrated).

Good luck with the hcg check and the u/s! I'm going to ask for another u/s on Monday, the first one baby was so tiny we could barely see a heartbeat. I'll feel better if I can get a better look.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:38 PM

Hi Mamas. I'm way behind in the last few days. I'm still kindof in limbo land. I "think" I'm still pregnant, but not 100% sure, so I'm not really sure where to be...ya know? We'll go back to the mw sometime next week to see if she can get a heartbeat then I'll know for sure what's going on with me.

I'm still feeling pregnant. I'm nauseous, although it's not near as bad as it was, which is a relief. We're finally getting over our colds which is also a relief. We really felt horrible for a couple days.

Yesterday I took the kids to where our horses are and they were able to ride for a bit and play in the snow. It was a beautiful day and I think they really enjoyed themselves. It was nice to get out of the house. The weather is warming up and the snow is starting to melt. I CANNOT wait for spring. I'm so ready for the snow to be gone!

Hope all is well with everyone else.

Life is to be enjoyed...not just endured!
Old 03-03-2010, 03:13 PM

AmBam, I've been thinking of you - it's a good sign you are still having symptoms and feeling pregnant. I'll keep sending good vibes your way and really hope you get to hear the heartbeat at your appt.

Tara, hope your UTI clears up quickly - I'm like you - the more natural treatments just don't work for me. I've had several UTIs in the recent years and each one came on hard and fast - I needed major meds to clear them up. Hope yours goes away quickly and you get some answers as well. Sending good vibes to you as well!

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

Old 03-03-2010, 05:50 PM

I am feeling depressed and weepy all day. all I want to do is computer stuff. I feel like a lazy bum.

I might be low on some vites, so maybe I will check that out.

This can be so tiring. ugh.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtara2003x View Post

Anyway, they tested my urine and sure enough, I have a pretty big infection (even though I have no symptoms). They gave me a generic version of macrodantin which is very commonly used in early pregnancy for UTI's.

I really didn't want to have to take it..but I did try that D mannose powder and it did NOT work. I think had I caught it early enough it may have...but because mine is bad, and I've had it for well over a week (probably much longer) that I don't reallly have a choice.
I'm glad you're taking the macrodantin and I hope everything clears up soon.

I am very much against dipsticks being used to diagnose UTIs as they are VERY variable. They are fine for testing for glucose, ketones and blood and usually pH. However, the other things on the strip can be falsely positive or even negative because of the presence of certain things in your urine. A sediment is needed to determine severity of the infection, the type of bacteria causing the infection, changes to the bladder and kidney involvement. I don't know if your HB midwife can order tests, but a CNM can always order a sediment as can any doctor or nurse practicioner. When I was pregnant with Ds I started having cramping at 17 weeks. No sign of UTI. My midwives were both at births and unable to see me so the one midwife told me to go to the local ER. She told me to make sure they test my urine and do a COMPLETE urinalysis (dipstick and sediment) as she was convinced that I probably had a silent UTI. I did and the ER doctor treated me like an idiot. He made comments about seeing midwives and whether or not I was going to deliver my baby behind an outhouse. He did not agree with my request for a complete urinalysis and only did a dipstick. He said my dipstick was clear and sent me home, stating that I was just a worried first time mother. UAV. Two days later, I started getting back pain. I did my own damn urinalysis at work and found that I had a RAGING infection that now involved my kidneys. I called my midwife who was beyond pissed at the doctor and prescribed me abx based on my own urinalysis.

Ok...sorry for the pee rant. They call me the urine queen as I do urinalyses alllllllllllllllllllll day at work and give lectures on the subject to peers. I'm a sad case.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Old 03-03-2010, 06:25 PM

You're not a sad case, Jenn -- we're lucky to have you here to share your knowledge with us!!

DD March 2007...happily nursing, EC graduated, family-bed-sharing family... expecting another in early November!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMike View Post
I'm glad you're taking the macrodantin and I hope everything clears up soon.

I am very much against dipsticks being used to diagnose UTIs as they are VERY variable. They are fine for testing for glucose, ketones and blood and usually pH. However, the other things on the strip can be falsely positive or even negative because of the presence of certain things in your urine. A sediment is needed to determine severity of the infection, the type of bacteria causing the infection, changes to the bladder and kidney involvement. I don't know if your HB midwife can order tests, but a CNM can always order a sediment as can any doctor or nurse practicioner. When I was pregnant with Ds I started having cramping at 17 weeks. No sign of UTI. My midwives were both at births and unable to see me so the one midwife told me to go to the local ER. She told me to make sure they test my urine and do a COMPLETE urinalysis (dipstick and sediment) as she was convinced that I probably had a silent UTI. I did and the ER doctor treated me like an idiot. He made comments about seeing midwives and whether or not I was going to deliver my baby behind an outhouse. He did not agree with my request for a complete urinalysis and only did a dipstick. He said my dipstick was clear and sent me home, stating that I was just a worried first time mother. UAV. Two days later, I started getting back pain. I did my own damn urinalysis at work and found that I had a RAGING infection that now involved my kidneys. I called my midwife who was beyond pissed at the doctor and prescribed me abx based on my own urinalysis.

Ok...sorry for the pee rant. They call me the urine queen as I do urinalyses alllllllllllllllllllll day at work and give lectures on the subject to peers. I'm a sad case.
Thanks so much urinalysis queen!!!! It sucks how that doctor treated you. I hope you filed a complaint! UGH! And yeah...with DD i went the ER and INSISTED they test my pee as they weren't going to!!!!! They did and found I, too, had a raging infection! UGH!

I did go to a walk in clinic and they did a sediment (I THINK).

Here were the results:

Color: Yellow
Transparancy: Clear
U PH: 5.5
U Sp. Gravity: <1.005
Glucose: Neg
Ketones: Neg
Protein: Neg.
Bilirubin: Neg.
Urobili: 0.2
Blood: Trace**
Leukocytes: 1+**
Nitrites: Neg.
WBC/HPF: 10-15**
RBC/HPF: 0-3
EPI/HPF: 4-8
Bacteria: 1+**

So....for the most part, it seemed to test the same things that the dipsticks tested however it actually gave numbers right? Because the tests I have at home test for most of that stuff too they just can't tell you an actual number.

So is this a pretty bad infection? Some doctors/MWs think that my spotting is due to this infection, and others don't. I am still waiting on my HCG and progesterone blood draw from today. Hoping they freakin call soon...ugh.

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

Old 03-03-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calihannah View Post
You're not a sad case, Jenn -- we're lucky to have you here to share your knowledge with us!!

Old 03-03-2010, 09:07 PM

I think my body has decided to stop digesting foods.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
I feel the same way!!!

Tara, any news yet on your numbers? I've been thinking of you all day...

My OB's nurse just called - my progesterone is still up (29) but I'm very thankful that I'm still on the prometrium. I think it dropped some from 34 because I missed a dose the night before.

I'm negative for all the usual stuff they test for like HPV, HIV, STDs ... but I'm positive for Group B strep .. I need to do my research, is anyone else here positive? I don't believe I was positive with ds. The nurse said it's not a big deal, but go ahead and prepare for the fact I will be on antibiotics when I start labor. I'm still debating homebirth vs. hospital (it's a big deal here because midwives are not legal in my state) and I'm curious if this factors in to my decision at all. Time to research!

Otherwise, good day. Feeling crampy but I think that may be from lack of digestion vs. uterine cramps.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymama View Post
I feel the same way!!!

Tara, any news yet on your numbers? I've been thinking of you all day...

My OB's nurse just called - my progesterone is still up (29) but I'm very thankful that I'm still on the prometrium. I think it dropped some from 34 because I missed a dose the night before.

I'm negative for all the usual stuff they test for like HPV, HIV, STDs ... but I'm positive for Group B strep .. I need to do my research, is anyone else here positive? I don't believe I was positive with ds. The nurse said it's not a big deal, but go ahead and prepare for the fact I will be on antibiotics when I start labor. I'm still debating homebirth vs. hospital (it's a big deal here because midwives are not legal in my state) and I'm curious if this factors in to my decision at all. Time to research!

Otherwise, good day. Feeling crampy but I think that may be from lack of digestion vs. uterine cramps.
I wrote another thread. HCG was 5000..and progesterone was a 5....

Don't think that looks very good at all...

Don't even know what happened...won't really know until Friday when I get my levels drawn again.

Pretty devastated. I have a glimmer of hope..but it's not much. Thanks for the thoughts. I deeply appreciate them.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:20 AM

Old 03-04-2010, 12:21 AM

Going to check on your thread now...

Old 03-06-2010, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much urinalysis queen!!!! It sucks how that doctor treated you. I hope you filed a complaint! UGH! And yeah...with DD i went the ER and INSISTED they test my pee as they weren't going to!!!!! They did and found I, too, had a raging infection! UGH!

I did go to a walk in clinic and they did a sediment (I THINK).

Here were the results:

Color: Yellow
Transparancy: Clear
U PH: 5.5
U Sp. Gravity: <1.005
Glucose: Neg
Ketones: Neg
Protein: Neg.
Bilirubin: Neg.
Urobili: 0.2
Blood: Trace**
Leukocytes: 1+**
Nitrites: Neg.
WBC/HPF: 10-15**
RBC/HPF: 0-3
EPI/HPF: 4-8
Bacteria: 1+**

So....for the most part, it seemed to test the same things that the dipsticks tested however it actually gave numbers right? Because the tests I have at home test for most of that stuff too they just can't tell you an actual number.

So is this a pretty bad infection? Some doctors/MWs think that my spotting is due to this infection, and others don't. I am still waiting on my HCG and progesterone blood draw from today. Hoping they freakin call soon...ugh.

That's a nice infection. You have a lot of white blood cells going on there. The sediment does give you a number, but it also lets you know that the dipstick is correct. The dipstick relies on chemical reactions on the strip and there can be many variables that affect the results. A sediment gives you an idea of the severity of the infection, but also gives you a much clearer and more accurate depiction of what is going on. Since you are prone to these silent UTIs, I would most certainly recommend that you always get a sediment. A UTI can cause uterine irritation and even contractions, so I can see how they might think the spotting was caused by it. At some point post-pregnancy, you may want to consider a urine culture. It'll just let them know the exact type of bacteria hanging out in your bladder and whether or not it's resistant to certain antibiotics.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Old 03-06-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMike View Post
That's a nice infection. You have a lot of white blood cells going on there. The sediment does give you a number, but it also lets you know that the dipstick is correct. The dipstick relies on chemical reactions on the strip and there can be many variables that affect the results. A sediment gives you an idea of the severity of the infection, but also gives you a much clearer and more accurate depiction of what is going on. Since you are prone to these silent UTIs, I would most certainly recommend that you always get a sediment. A UTI can cause uterine irritation and even contractions, so I can see how they might think the spotting was caused by it. At some point post-pregnancy, you may want to consider a urine culture. It'll just let them know the exact type of bacteria hanging out in your bladder and whether or not it's resistant to certain antibiotics.
Thanks so much! That gives me a lot more information!! I may have to take your advice and do that urine culture after pregnancy.

I just did another dipstick just to see...and the infection is DEFINITELY better if not gone completely. Also, so is my spotting. I have none, zero, zilch. It sure makes me wonder if the UTI had everything to do with the spotting!! Stupid silent UTI's. I just don't get why i can't "feel" them!!

Old 03-06-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post

It seems like everything I eat immediately comes out... one way or another.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
Old 03-06-2010, 01:32 AM

Is anyone else suffering from perpetual coldness? I literally walk around wrapped up in a giant comforter and I'm STILL cold. I had this last pregnancy too, but have never met anyone else who had this crazy symptom.

Also I need 3 blankets in order to sleep!

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
Old 03-06-2010, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much! That gives me a lot more information!! I may have to take your advice and do that urine culture after pregnancy.

I just did another dipstick just to see...and the infection is DEFINITELY better if not gone completely. Also, so is my spotting. I have none, zero, zilch. It sure makes me wonder if the UTI had everything to do with the spotting!! Stupid silent UTI's. I just don't get why i can't "feel" them!!
Possibly because the lining of your bladder isn't very inflamed. The test didn't indicate what kind of epithelial cells were seen, so I can't say if anything was shed from the bladder wall. Also, you had a lot of WBCs and bacteria, which is inflammatory, but not a lot of RBCs, which would be a sign of heavier inflammation.

User Tag List