What Prenatal are you taking? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 03-01-2010, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright mamas...what Prenatal vit. are you taking??

Right now I am just taking 800 mg of folic acid. I need to get another kind that is more "complete".

What are you taking/any suggestions?

I thought about the Nordic Naturals...that seemed like a pretty good one....

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 03-01-2010, 10:52 PM

I'm taking Jarrow "PregNatal with DHA". I was just trying to find one with an alternate iron source (the typical source, ferrous sulphate, messes up my digestive system pretty badly) but when I took it to my first OB appointment on Friday, the doctor looked it over and said it was great. He likes the DHA. I don't even know what DHA is, but he said it was good for fetal brain development.
#3 of 24 Old 03-01-2010, 10:59 PM

Rainbow Light, the six pills a day one. I love them a lot, they're the only ones that don't make me vaguely nauseated or constipated.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#4 of 24 Old 03-01-2010, 11:46 PM

I'm finishing off my Whole Foods brand and will move to Nature's Sunshine.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#5 of 24 Old 03-01-2010, 11:58 PM

I'm taking the Promise Stages vitamins. They tailor vitamins to fit the trimesters. For example, the vitmin now in the first trimester has tons of folic acid and zero vitamin A.

Girl #1: 2/14/08
Girl #2: 10/14/10
#6 of 24 Old 03-02-2010, 12:01 AM

I'm taking the New Chapter organic 3-a-day. They don't seem to upset my stomach despite smelling a bit like rabbit food pellets. I have a bottle of Rainbow Lite 1-a-day that I'll take once I'm out of the New Chapter.

In addition, I'm taking a DHA supplement, fermented cod liver oil, and butter oil once a day. I'm still in the experimental phase with traditional foods, but so far everything's going down pretty well.

9/2011 items decluttered
#7 of 24 Old 03-02-2010, 12:30 AM

I recently came across an article that reports that 99% of prenatal and kids vitamins tested by the FDA contain lead. I had been taking the RainbowLight One a day prenatal, which is high on the list of lead containing prenatals. I'll be interested to hear what other vitamins folks have been taking...

Here is the article:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008...n-vitamins.php

Proud Mama to West - a delightful 3 yr old who loves to blowkiss.gif and  familybed1.gif.  Excited for a new little bean in late April 2013!

#8 of 24 Old 03-02-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunpath8 View Post
I recently came across an article that reports that 99% of prenatal and kids vitamins tested by the FDA contain lead. I had been taking the RainbowLight One a day prenatal, which is high on the list of lead containing prenatals. I'll be interested to hear what other vitamins folks have been taking...

Here is the article:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008...n-vitamins.php
This is why I am switching to Nature's Sunshine. It has the lowest amount.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#9 of 24 Old 03-02-2010, 09:26 AM

I take just a single Flinstone Complete daily. I just posted this in the general pregnancy section too, thought it might be helpful.

If you eat a healthy, normal diet, prenatal vitamins are more insurance than necessity, with the possible exceptions of folic acid and iron (unless you have higher than average nutritional needs due to a multiples pregnancy or maternal health issues or previous child affected by neural tube defect).

What I personally take and think is a reasonable approach if you aren't going to take prenatal vitamins:

A single daily Flinstone Complete Chewable Multivitamin (400 mcg of folic acid)
plus either a separate folic acid supplement or increased intake of dietary folic acid to reach the 600 total recommended (your body absorbs it less well from food than from the vitamin, so probably would need about 400 from diet to make up the difference). That said, natural folate has not been shown to be effective in lowering risks of neural tube defects. And it is most important from 3 months prior to conception to about 6 weeks.

and
calcium, either dietary (much preferred), or in a supplement to add up to 1000 mg/day

and either a very deliberate effort to eat iron-rich foods or additional supplementation. The flinstone complete contains 18 mg, for pregnancy you need about 30 mg/day (more,obviously, if you start off or become anemic).
#10 of 24 Old 03-02-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtMPapa View Post
Rainbow Light, the six pills a day one. I love them a lot, they're the only ones that don't make me vaguely nauseated or constipated.
Me too - in fact, I've decided they are actually helping my nausea. I ran out for a few days, took another brand and was MISERABLE - puked nearly everything I ate. Once my vitamins came in the mail and got back into my system, I've been much better. Just waves of nausea that I can hendle.

I love, love love! Rainbow Light 6 pill prenatals. I found a very good deal on them online too - about 1/3 the price of Whole Foods.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#11 of 24 Old 03-02-2010, 10:06 AM

I guess I should add that I had gastric bypass back in 2003 - so my nutritional needs are greater than most. I had to choose a vitamin that is not only food based, but is also taken several times a day AND had large amounts of most vitamins (ie, overkill for most people) because of my gut absorption issues.

I also take supplemental Calcium citrate (can't absorb calcium carbonate) and additional sublingual B-12.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#12 of 24 Old 03-02-2010, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Spring Valley, it was the cheapest...
#13 of 24 Old 03-02-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
Spring Valley, it was the cheapest...
That's what I take too... And for the same reasons plus it's the only thing available locally!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#14 of 24 Old 03-02-2010, 12:00 PM

I'm taking the New Chapter organics, 2000 IUs of Vitamin D, and Nordic Naturals prenatal DHA.

DHA is metabolized from fish oil so if you take a fish oil supplement (or Omega 3 supplement) you're getting DHA. It is thought that the fatty acids are essential for myellination of neurons.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#15 of 24 Old 03-02-2010, 01:24 PM

My prenatals (Jarrow Pregnatal) have stuff in them that's supposed to help with morning sickness and I thought it was a bunch of hooey until I accidentally forgot to bring my vitamins to work yesterday and didn't get to take any until I got home last night... I was SO SICK yesterday, all day long, just miserable.
So I guess it's true that they do help with m/s.
#16 of 24 Old 03-02-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier View Post
I'm taking the New Chapter organic 3-a-day. They don't seem to upset my stomach despite smelling a bit like rabbit food pellets.
They totally do.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#17 of 24 Old 03-02-2010, 07:50 PM

I've been taking Shaklee brand womens vitamins. It's not exactly a prenatal, but it's "ideal for teen girls and women in their childbearing years". It works really well and doesn't make me sick (like some that I've had from walmart). The Shaklees only have 400mcg of folic acid, so I take an additional folic acid supplement.
#18 of 24 Old 03-02-2010, 09:57 PM

I take the Rainbow Light 1 a days...

Happily married, crunchy mama crazy in love with our little man, Bam bam (10/5/10) due aug 2014 with our rainbow bean missing our 3 angel babies (9/09, 7/12, 12/12)
#19 of 24 Old 03-02-2010, 11:16 PM

Rainbow Light 6 a day. Took them with my DS and felt good. I'm checking out this lead list though and may change.

Married 16 yrs to DH, DS (3/06) x4 (11/04) (3/08) (3/09) (8/09)
DD born 9/24/2010 :
#20 of 24 Old 03-02-2010, 11:25 PM

Prenatal eleet. They are perscription but I need them because I need the major dose of folic acid. I am on Zoloft (200 mg) and Trazadone(200-300 mg) each day and the Dr wants me to get as much as I can.

Married to a WONDERFUL man, SAHM of Israel 9(b) , Ireland 5(g) , Iceland 4(b),  Italy 2(g), Scoltand 9 m(g), and pregnant with baby #6

#21 of 24 Old 03-03-2010, 09:19 AM

I'm not taking a prenatal at all.

caffix.gif

#22 of 24 Old 03-03-2010, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I've been taking Materna, which might only be available in Canada since no one else has mentioned it. It's the most common brand here I'd guess. But I think it's making me sick. I was doing alright until about 6 days ago when m/s hit HARD. I vomitted all weekend. Then I forgot to take my pill on Monday and felt much better. So I skipped it yesterday and still I'm better. Not normal feeling but at least I can function. So I'm going to look into the brands you guys have mentioned that don't make you sick - Rainbow Light and Jarrow. Hopefully they are available here.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#23 of 24 Old 03-03-2010, 12:05 PM

found this on Rainbow Lights website about the lead
Lead is a naturally occurring mineral found in the water, soil, and air, as well as many every day foods and botanicals.

The FDA has developed safe/tolerable lead exposure levels for particular age and sex groups referred to as provisional total tolerable intake levels. In early 2007, FDA conducted a limited survey by an independent testing firm to determine the lead content in multivitamin supplements for women and children, including a number of Rainbow Light products. The results of the survey were published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry in July 2008 and on the FDA website in August 2008. As a result of its survey, the FDA concluded that lead in the women's and children's vitamins tested was below the FDA's safe/tolerable levels.

Proposition 65 is a portion of the California Health and Safety Code that regulates a variety of chemicals, including lead. Proposition 65 has established a "No Observable Effect Level" for lead, which is lower than the FDA's safety/tolerable level. The Attorney General of the State of California, which enforces Proposition 65, recently filed an industry-wide lawsuit for the purpose of addressing the precise allowable levels of naturally occurring lead in multi-vitamins sold in California.

Rainbow Light regularly tests its products to ensure that any naturally occurring lead levels are within the FDA's and Proposition 65's safety levels. Rainbow Light uses botanical materials with the lowest detectable lead level available on the market and utilizes strict testing methods to ensure continued compliance with these requirements.

Happily married, crunchy mama crazy in love with our little man, Bam bam (10/5/10) due aug 2014 with our rainbow bean missing our 3 angel babies (9/09, 7/12, 12/12)
#24 of 24 Old 03-03-2010, 06:10 PM

Thanks for all the great advice about vitamins!! I just ordered Rainbow light's now

WOH Mom (for now)to DS (aka:Kiddo) and Little Bean (10/12/2010), Married to DH for ~7 years,

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page