anyone else have HPV? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-01-2010, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my ob called me today and told me that my pap (which came back normal 5 months ago) has come back + for HPV... im sad, and anxious, as I dont know what to expect. Everyone says its such a common thing, but still, its still kind of scary...

anyone else dealing with this during pregnancy?

"Damn it man, I'm a doctor, not a physicist!" -Bones McCoy. Ds1 6 bouncy.gif Dd1 4 energy.gifDd2 5 months baby.gif
#2 of 5 Old 03-01-2010, 11:40 PM

I do. I've known about it for about 5 years. It can be dormant for a really long time (DH and I have been together for 12 years). I have 2 of the high risk strains. 6 mos before I got pregnant with DD I had cryosurgery where they freeze off the tip of your cervix to stop the cells from growing. I still had abnormal cells at the beginning of her pregnancy. My Dr. told me not to stress it and that she has seen lots of women NOT have the cells after a vaginal delivery.
I haven't had any abnormal cells since her birth (3.5 years)! I get a pap once a year and I kind of expect that some day I will have to deal with it again, but for now it doesn't bother me.

The statistics are baffling. Having unprotected sex once and your chance is something like 20% of picking up one of the strains. Do it a few more times with different partners and your chances skyrocket to 80% (I'm not quoting a source, I just remember reading something to that effect way back when).

There are probably many women who carry the strains but don't know it.

I just make sure to get checked for abnormal cells every year and play it by ear.

- HPV is totally manageable and cervical changes happen really slowly.

Molly - Hard working mama to DD 06/06 , #2 9/2010!
#3 of 5 Old 03-02-2010, 12:04 AM

I have HPV too. I was so scared when I found out and I just remember crying and crying. It really hasn't been that bad though. I have had abnormal cells off and on since I found out, about 4 years ago. When I was pregnant with my daughter I had a normal pap. Then when I went in for my 6 week check up after she was born I had abnormal cells. They did a colposcopy which turned out fine and I just had to go back 6 months later, which was in October, and my pap was normal again. It really is pretty common and in my opinion it is totally managable as long as you keep up with your paps. Don't worry, everything will be ok.

Waiting, not so patiently, to meet our new addition this October
#4 of 5 Old 03-02-2010, 02:00 PM

Statistics say that 80% of us have HPV and only 90% of those of us who do, know about it. Get your annual pap and don't let it stress you.
#5 of 5 Old 03-02-2010, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was diagnosed with it 10 years ago (though the virus seems to have left my body, it doesn't show up anymore on std testing). I had the strain that causes cervical cancer and had dysplasia (basically "pre" cancer cells) and had a LEEP procedure done to remove the affected part of my cervix. It can cause cervical incompetence, but this is my 6th pregnancy and I haven't had any problems with that. I had to do paps every six months for a couple years but I'm down to once a year now since I haven't had a recurrence.

It'll be okay

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page