Mothering Forum banner

Antibiotics while pregnant...

601 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  xtara2003x 
#1 ·
I'm having a bit of a rough day.

Last Monday, I started spotting brown on the toilet paper. I had about two times where there was enough to notice. The night before I started spotting, I nursed DD for a longggggggggg time. Longer than she had been nursed in quite some time.

Anyway, I did a dipstick test where it tests your leukocytes and blood in the urine, infection fighting agents, etc, and it showed that I probably had a UTI.

Anyway, I stayed home that day and stayed in bed. No more spotting until today...about a week later. I did realize that I hadn't nursed Addi in a week, and last night I nursed her for a while. No spotting this morning, but early this afternoon I had light pink mucusy spotting on the TP...then it started looking brown and every time I pee'd there was some there.

I was really worried about a M/C...and even though I'm having a HB, I decided to go in. When I was 13 weeks pregnant with DD , I had a severe UTI. I had no symptoms until I was puking, headache, dizzy, etc. I was miserable..it was like the worst flu I'd ever had. So of course they found out I had a UTI after I insisted they test my pee (they weren't going to) and then they said i had a really bad one. They gave me abx (can't remember exactly what ones), and some nausea meds (ugh).

Anyway, I did go in today and they said I have a pretty big bladder infection. They gave me meds. They gave me nitrofurantoin which is the generic abx for macrodantin.

I feel that all this spotting and worry of miscarriage is all due to this bad UTI...(I seem to only get them while in early pregnancy with my bladder moving around, etc).

I really didn't want to have to take abx, but at this point, I think I would rather take abx then end up having a miscarriage because the UTI is irritating my uterus/cervix so much, y'know?

What else can I be doing while on these stupid abx to help get my bacteria back to normal? I have raw garlic, I'm gonna put some ACV in some water and drink that. I also have pure cranberry juice. (I tried curing it myself first with cranberry juice/D mannose powder but it didn't work). I haven't been on abx since 2006 when I was pregnant with Addison.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone knew of any thing else I could be doing to help get my gut back to normal and avoid getting a yeast infection and everything. *sigh*

See less See more
#2 ·
that sux. i'm sorry. i'll state the obvious, only because you didn't mention it, but you probably already know to eat yogurt, kefir, too. and probiotics. (but i seem to recall that only after you finish your abx--might want to google that)

man, good luck. uti's suck--i'm pretty prone to them in pregnancy, too. (i had a raging one @ 37 weeks w/ ds#3--i was too stubborn back then to take *anything* and it ended up causing my water to break! anyway, all turned out well....
)

#3 ·
Thanks so much Lotusmama!! I really deeply appreciate the support!!

The CNM at the hospital just called me back finally...at almost 7pm!! and I talked to her for a while. She isn't convinced that my spotting has to do with the UTI..but she said it definitely could be.

I asked her if I could have a blood draw for my HCG levels and progesterone levels too. She agreed, so I'm going in right away tomorrow morning and then again on Friday morning to see if my levels are going up. She also mentioned maybe we could do an early ultrasound if my levels are high enough.
I would really love a US to see if there is anything wrong. I just want to make sure my baby is okay!!!! *sigh*

Hopefully my numbers are nice and high tomorrow...even though I will know much more come Friday while comparing the numbers and seeing if they have gone up a bit.

Again, thanks for your support!!!!

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lotusma View Post
that sux. i'm sorry. i'll state the obvious, only because you didn't mention it, but you probably already know to eat yogurt, kefir, too. and probiotics. (but i seem to recall that only after you finish your abx--might want to google that)

man, good luck. uti's suck--i'm pretty prone to them in pregnancy, too. (i had a raging one @ 37 weeks w/ ds#3--i was too stubborn back then to take *anything* and it ended up causing my water to break! anyway, all turned out well....
)
Also...I will have to check on the probiotic thing. I have some and I have already taken some. But it makes sense to wait until the abx are finished...or what's the point...the abx will kill the good bacteria anyway you know?

I have a ton of yogurt and kefir and pure cranberry juice in the house right now too. I'm also drinking an insane amount of water. I think I might float away.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion. I will have to check on that probiotic thing!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.