prenatal s/o - ? for those whose vitamin makes them sick - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-03-2010, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hey there - So I'm starting to suspect that my prenatal is making my m/s worse. I skipped it for the last two days and felt much better. Nowhere near normal but definitely better than I had for the previous week or so.

But I've been taking the same pill (Materna) for three years straight, since starting TTC #1, and never feel sick when not pregnant. I actually find that generally it helps my system, making me more regular if you know what I mean. But with DS, I was terribly sick for five months and now it's setting in again. So for those of you who feel worse when they take a prenatal, does it also affect you when you're not pregnant or is it the combination of the pill and pregnancy?

I don't want to stop taking it (I really don't eat well when I'm feeling this sick) or start experimenting with different brands if it isn't the culprit.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-03-2010, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey ya,
I am in the same boat and it only happens when I am pregnant. I am feeling sick anyway but as soon as I take that pilll it seems to multiply. I took Materna with my other babies and I must say it was the worst for me, but even this Robinson brand I am on now is awful, just not as bad. The test I did to make sure it was the pill was when I was feeling well at night, I took the vit and low and behold I felt nausuated. I havent found one yet that doesnt make me queasy, so iffin ya find one I would love to hear it.

Unschooling Crunchy Mama of 5 babies. Welcome Emily-Rose born September 7th 2010!
#3 of 8 Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Banned

When I first started taking prenatals a couple of years ago, they made me sick, and I was not pregnant. Then I switched to taking them right before bed. Worked like a charm. Now that I am pregnant, I'm at 7 weeks and haven't been sick at all....to the point that I worry about NOT being sick.
#4 of 8 Old 03-03-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezebelle View Post
When I first started taking prenatals a couple of years ago, they made me sick, and I was not pregnant. Then I switched to taking them right before bed. Worked like a charm. Now that I am pregnant, I'm at 7 weeks and haven't been sick at all....to the point that I worry about NOT being sick.

I take mine right before bed. Then I sleep so if I"m sick I don't know it!

I don't have any morning sickness really. I notice that I get slightly nauseous if I don't eat for like 4 or 5 hours, but for the most part I'm not really sick. I kinda wish I was!! But last time I didn't get sick until 8 weeks pregnant..and then it lasted past 20! EWW! I'm 6.5 weeks pregnant so I have two weeks to go to hit 8.....yuck! I wish I just had a LITTLE but not a lot...

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

#5 of 8 Old 03-03-2010, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thanks everyone - I do always take my supplements at night and still the effect is brutal. A few times I forgot at night and so would take them the next morning and it didn't seem to make a difference.

When I feel better, I am able to eat so much healthier because I have far fewer aversions and smell issues so I am leaning towards just not taking a prenatal multi at all. I'll still take a folic acid supplement though.

For the other Canadians out there, I took PregVit for part of my pregnancy with DS and was just as sick as when I took Materna (though I didn't realize that the vitamin was contributing to the sickness back then, I'm just clueing in now.)

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#6 of 8 Old 03-03-2010, 07:55 PM

My previous midwife always recommends just taking a plain folic acid during the first trimester, because prenatals are prone to make m/s worse, and then add a prenatal at about second trimester.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#7 of 8 Old 03-04-2010, 02:36 AM

I am taking New Chapter Organic Prenatal and considering how nauseous I am all day I'm impressed that these vitamins are not making things worse. Even before I became preggo I had an aversion to my daily multi. After a lot of research I chose these pre-natals because they are organic and a whole food supplement. Down side is they are expensive, but at least they don't make me wanna puke
#8 of 8 Old 03-04-2010, 10:03 AM

You can get a way with just folic acid, and an iron supplement if you need it for quite a while.

I'm seriously morning sick at 7 weeks, and just have to work very hard at getting sufficient food in me, and to stay down, every 2 hours. I can't keep a prenatal in the mix, yet.

Kelli, Upstate NY mama, dh FarmBoy, raising 6:, his, mine, and ours.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page