SPOTLIGHT ON: CherryBomb! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-04-2010, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
* EDD: 10-7
* Name: Katie
* How long it took to you to get your BFP: First try, really. I had a second trimester miscarriage at the end of October and last month was my first real cycle (previous one was anovulatory) We weren't even really trying, ha.
* What number child is this for you: God willing this will be our 4th living child. We also have two in Heaven.
* Family :
* Baby's Sex (hopes or guesses): Don't care at all, I just want a baby in my arms. Too early for me to guess what it could be. My pregnancy with my son was very different from my girls, so we'll see.
* Names you like : Haven't really thought about it.
* Birth Plans/Preferences: My last daughter was a VBA2C, planning on another hospital vbac as long as everything looks good. She was an easy birth and I did it without an epidural, but I'm not philosophically opposed to pain relief. So, we'll see how the labor goes, really.
* Blog, website or the like: I blog at www.justanothercatholicmom.blogspot.com (but fair warning, I'm pretty conservative, very pro-life, and blog a lot about my religion)
* Anything else you'd like to share: Happy to be here, but also really nervous! Hope this baby sticks, I don't know if my heart can take another loss.

ETA - Katie also added in the introductions thread the following:

"Dh and I have been married since 2001, we have three girls, Bailey 8, Riley 4, Rory almost 2. Our middle daughter has cerebral palsy and cortical visual impairment from a prenatal stroke. We also have our little pug boy Oliver who we all adore And a mousing cat and a stray that we haven't gotten around to taking to the local rescue yet."

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh geeze me already?

Yeah that stray has been here for 2 years We always say we're going to take her to a rescue because we didn't want more than one cat, but never seem to get around to it :P
Old 03-04-2010, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

How long have you been with DH? How did you meet?

How your middle daughter's special needs contributed to a change your parenting style and/or family dynamic, if at all?

Do you have extended family living nearby? Have you told them about the impending arrival yet? What about friends (have you told many?)?

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:17 PM

What do you like to do for fun?

Do you like cook and/or bake?

Favorite season and why?

Wife to DH (9/02) Homeschooling Mama to DD1 (2/03) DD2 (11/06) DD3(9/10)

Old 03-04-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndzies View Post
How long have you been with DH? How did you meet?

How your middle daughter's special needs contributed to a change your parenting style and/or family dynamic, if at all?

Do you have extended family living nearby? Have you told them about the impending arrival yet? What about friends (have you told many?)?
April 6th we will have been married 9 years, and this August we will have been together for 11 years I was just a month shy of my 17th birthday when we met. We first met at the mall of all places We both had neon red hair, he was a mall rat so I asked around about him, and then we ran into each other later and the rest was history

I don't think her SN have changed our parenting style significantly, but it has made me realize how much I just can't control. I had planned a HBAC with her and totally believed that if I just had "positive thinking" and did xyz visualizations and ate 75+ grams of protein, etc, everything would be perfect. Obviously that didn't happen. I was a lot more realistic when I was pregnant with dd3. It does affect our family dynamic, I think, because she's significantly visually impaired and developmentally delayed, so in some areas she's behind her baby sister. It doesn't seem to bother her now, but I worry it will frustrate her in the future.

We don't have a lot of family, my husband's parents are deceased and my father is in prison and i haven't had any contact with him in well over a decade. I am pretty close with my mom though, and she lives 45 minutes away. She's very involved in the kids' lives. My husband's aunt also lives 45 minutes away and we don't see them as much, but we spend holidays together and try to get together every month or so. We're pretty close with dh's sister, but she lives the next state over, so we talk a lot online and on the phone, but usually only get together a few times a year. I told my mom and my SIL first, and then dh's aunt after the hcg checks and u/s looked good (she's a big worrier!). All our friends we we have regular contact with know.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue butterfly View Post
What do you like to do for fun?

Do you like cook and/or bake?

Favorite season and why?
I don't get a lot of time to myself, but I love to read (I'm on book 5 of the Dark Tower series right now). I knit and crochet, but it goes in waves. I'll do a lot of projects all in a row and then not do anything for months. I'm really into homesteading type stuff, I get a lot of enjoyment out of that. We do a huge vegggie garden every year and I can as much as possible, and right now I have 27 chickens in my garage It's our first time with chickens, I'm really excited! And anxious to get them outside, they stink!

I LOVE to cook and bake. Fatigue and nausea have kicked my butt so far this pregnancy and I really miss cooking, just too tired to do it. So now we have all this easy to fix processed food in the house and it's so weird

Autumn is hands down my favorite season. I love the cool air and the changing leaves. Indiana is the perfect place to be for autumn. We take a lot of family walks out in the woods and there are festivals all over. And of course it's "harvest" time so I'm busy canning and baking. I'm so excited to FINALLY have a fall baby!
Old 03-04-2010, 12:39 PM

How many children do you and you dh want?

What's something most people don't know about you?

lf you could go anywhere on vacation, where would you go?

Life is to be enjoyed...not just endured!
Old 03-04-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmBam View Post
How many children do you and you dh want?

What's something most people don't know about you?

lf you could go anywhere on vacation, where would you go?
We don't really have a set number, but probably at least 5. We're orthodox Roman Catholic and I'm only 27 (and apparently pretty fertile ) so we anticipate having a pretty large family. Although 4 is it for now, our current home is only 1040sq ft! We're hoping to move to a big farmhouse in the next couple years.

Oh gosh, I don't know, I'm a pretty open person! I can't really think of anything, honestly. I'm very upfront.

Ireland, definitely! I'm determined to go when I'm not pregnant though (so I can drink!) so it could be awhile
Old 03-04-2010, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hi Katie - I love that you are so upfront about everything, especially your religion. I don't have strong beliefs in any particular direction, though I often wish I did and have tried a few on for size (feels like something is missing but still I can't force it you know?), but I am always intrested in people who do, especially when they live so true to their values and are open about them.

As for some questions - are you planning to build a farmhouse or do you have your eye on a particular place?

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:37 PM

Thanks

I would LOVE to have a custom built home, but it gets pretty pricy pretty fast, and homes, even with acreage, are very cheap out here. So, unless dh lucks out and lands a REALLY fabulous job, we'll just buy a used home. I love to house hunt so I'm always checking out what's around on realtor.com!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:06 PM

How severe or mild is your dds CP? I personally have very mild CP (mostly affects my left leg) while my cousins is a more extreme case and is wheelchair bound.

Do you have as hard a time as I do explaining to people that CP is not hereditary? (I still have ppl asking me if I'll have an amnio to check for CP... )

Have you named the stray?

How have you been feeling with this pregnancy?

Amanda : mom to : ds's 14, 12, 9, 1 & dd6

Old 03-04-2010, 05:10 PM

What would your dream farmhouse look like?

Happily married, crunchy mama crazy in love with our little man, Bam bam (10/5/10) due aug 2014 with our rainbow bean missing our 3 angel babies (9/09, 7/12, 12/12)
Old 03-04-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainedangel View Post
How severe or mild is your dds CP? I personally have very mild CP (mostly affects my left leg) while my cousins is a more extreme case and is wheelchair bound.

Do you have as hard a time as I do explaining to people that CP is not hereditary? (I still have ppl asking me if I'll have an amnio to check for CP... )

Have you named the stray?

How have you been feeling with this pregnancy?
Her CP is pretty moderate, she had issue with muscle tone when she was younger and didn't walk till she was 22 months, had to wear splints on her hands, etc, but she's grown out of most of that. Her gross motor skills are pretty much right on target for her age now, but her fine motor skills are pretty far behind. Her biggest issue is her eyesight, her stroke obliterated her occipital lobe. That's the thing I usually have to explain over and over, because people always ask why she doesn't just wear glasses. Well her eye structures themselves are fine, it's the processing center in her brain that's the problem, glasses help her strabismus but that's about it.

Yeah, we named the stray (Bella) And we had her spayed, and get her shots, and we're getting her declawed...I told dh we need to just accept that she's here to stay I say I'm not a cat person, but strays always seem to find their way to me!

I was feeling pretty good physically up until this week. Now it's utter exhaustion and 24/7 nausea. Emotionally I'm all over the place because my last pregnancy ended in a second trimester loss.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkey View Post
What would your dream farmhouse look like?
Oh boy! I love very traditional looking homes, I don't really like the newer ones. Something 18th century looking would be awesome. If I could have whatever I wanted, I'd love 300 acres or so of land. Lots of bedrooms for kids (at least 5) and definitely 3 or more bathrooms! We just have one small bathroom for our family of 5 and it can be a pain. I'd love a huge kitchen with a fireplace and a good sized hearth and plenty of counter space, the kitchen is my favorite room I like a few bay windows with nooks for eating or reading and plenty of trees in the yard! And hardwood floors and nice molding
Old 03-04-2010, 07:02 PM

What is your favorite thing to do with your family??

What was one of your happiest childhood memories?

What is one thing you wish you could chance about yourself as a mother??

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

Old 03-04-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtara2003x View Post
What is your favorite thing to do with your family??

What was one of your happiest childhood memories?

What is one thing you wish you could chance about yourself as a mother??
We love to go "hiking" when the weather is nice (just walking simple trails, nothing impressive!)

I had a very unhappy abusive childhood, but I loved it when my mom would take us to state parks, we'd spend all day there with just her and my brother.

Definitely I wish I had more patience. I feel like a gentle discipline failure most of the time! I believe in it but it's so far outside of what was modeled to me that it's a constant struggle.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 PM

If you could have one "do over" in your life what would you use it on?

What do you think is your best physical feature?

When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

Old 03-04-2010, 09:12 PM

What's your favourite thing about being pregnant?

Your least favourite?

What sorts of things does your family grow/harvest?

Does anyone ever give you a hard time about having lots of kids? If so, what do you say to them?

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
Old 03-04-2010, 09:13 PM

Did you grow up Catholic or did you become Catholic later in life?

Happily married, crunchy mama crazy in love with our little man, Bam bam (10/5/10) due aug 2014 with our rainbow bean missing our 3 angel babies (9/09, 7/12, 12/12)
Old 03-05-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchgrrl View Post
If you could have one "do over" in your life what would you use it on?

What do you think is your best physical feature?

When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?
That's a hard one. I've made A LOT of mistakes and there are a lot of things I wish I hadn't done, but at the same time, they helped to make me who I am today. So I don't know that I'd change anything.

Probably my hair, it's really thick and healthy despite all the crap I've done to it

It was a toss up between astronaut and paleontologist!
Old 03-05-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtMPapa View Post
What's your favourite thing about being pregnant?

Your least favourite?

What sorts of things does your family grow/harvest?

Does anyone ever give you a hard time about having lots of kids? If so, what do you say to them?
I LOVE it when I can finally feel the baby moving. It's so amazing! This nausea is definitely awful, I never really had it with my other pregnancies, so it's really kicking my butt!

We always do tomatoes and pickling cucumbers, usually green beans and zucchini (though I had so much zucchini last year I think I'll skip it this year ) I want to do onions and peppers this year and can some salsa, and whatever else I can fit in!

I haven't really ever got any crap from strangers about our family size, but a few people in my mom's family give me a hard time (namely my granny and one of my aunts). They both keep pressuring me to get sterilized and act all offended that I won't Kind of irritating too because my granny had 7 kids! But they lived in serious poverty so I guess she thinks I will, too. I pretty much just ignore it, I'm not going to waste being upset about it and I'm certainly not going to apologize for my kids!
Old 03-05-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkey View Post
Did you grow up Catholic or did you become Catholic later in life?
No, I was raised very loosely non denominational Protestant. Dh was raised Protestant, too, but we were both atheist/agnostic when we met and remained so for quite awhile. We converted together in 2007
Old 03-05-2010, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
No, I was raised very loosely non denominational Protestant. Dh was raised Protestant, too, but we were both atheist/agnostic when we met and remained so for quite awhile. We converted together in 2007
Wow, that's a huge life change. Or at least it seems like it would be to me. Tell us more!

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:05 PM

Yes I would also love to know more about your religious conversion, I have struggles myself because I was raised and still consider myself a non denominational Christian, but my husband is a militant agnostic. I've tried to see if we can come together and check into UU, but he wasn't too keen on that idea either.

Mrs. (28) Wife to the Mr. (26) Mama to K (10g) & J (5b). Expecting #3 10/10. Hoping for a HBA2C.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:07 PM

OT: BirthNut- "Militant agnostic" is the best expression I've heard in a long time!

OK now for the questions,

What is your favorite game to play with your LO's?

Are your children excited about baby #4? What are you doing to prepare them?

And a big one: How do you integrate your religion with your parenting? Do you plan to let your children explore other religions or hope that they will become devout catholics?

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
Old 03-06-2010, 01:16 AM

from a fellow Catholic pro-lifer, soon-to-be mom of 6, also living in...drumroll please...1063 sq ft. Only I have no plans to move or get chickens...but at least we have a little in common, right? LOL

How did you find Catholicism?
What did you give up for lent?
Do your kids give up anything?
Do you homeschool?

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

Old 03-06-2010, 01:39 AM

Did you got through RCIA and get Baptised during Easter Vigil?

Who is you favorite Saint and why?

Does the Rosary play a role in your daily life?

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Old 03-06-2010, 10:42 AM

I actually did a 3 part blog series on my conversion since I always had so many questions about it. Part one is here and then 2 and 3 are on the left side bar It was quite a shock to most of the people in our life, especially since we'd been pretty vocally anti-Christian.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post
What is your favorite game to play with your LO's?

Are your children excited about baby #4? What are you doing to prepare them?

And a big one: How do you integrate your religion with your parenting? Do you plan to let your children explore other religions or hope that they will become devout catholics?
There's a company called Game Wright that makes a lot of cute games that we really love! Games can be hard though because dd1 is so much older than her little sisters, and especially since dd2 has special needs. A lot of times we just end up giving the little ones some extra pieces and letting them pretend to play. They have a little duck board game that they like, though (but I think they've scattered the pieces all over, I keep finding baby ducks in random spots )

I'm not sure how much dd2 and dd3 really understand, but dd1 is VERY excited. We just rearranged their bedrooms so that the two little ones are sharing and she has her own room (which she was VERY excited about!), and I pointed out that a new baby might mean she has to share a room again someday. She thought about it for a second and said "That's okay, I'd rather have a new baby than my own room"

As for religion as they grow up, I guess I'll have to play it by ear. In general I'd say that as long as they're under 18 they're expected to be at Mass with us every Sunday (and on Holy Days of Obligation). OTOH, if you have a teenager that's seriously opposed to going on theological grounds or something (and not just because they don't like getting up early!) I think it can do more damage to try and force it. I'd say exploring other religions would fall under similar guidelines. It just really depends on the kid and the circumstances. But yes, I do really hope that they'll all grow to be faithful Catholics that love the Church like I do!
Old 03-06-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcimom View Post
from a fellow Catholic pro-lifer, soon-to-be mom of 6, also living in...drumroll please...1063 sq ft. Only I have no plans to move or get chickens...but at least we have a little in common, right? LOL

How did you find Catholicism?
What did you give up for lent?
Do your kids give up anything?
Do you homeschool?
Oh, awesome! I always love hearing about other larger families in small homes, most people seem shocked! We are cozy but it's certainly not as bad as people think it is!

My husband was actually the one that started the conversion process. I was VERY resistant in the beginning. I'd say my initial conversion was largely intellectual, and my spiritual conversion occurred later (the Church's teachings on life are really what made me fall in love with her!)

I gave up facebook for Lent! I spend WAY too much time on there. Of course, then I end up missing important things (like pregnancies and hospitalizations!) because so many people use it as their primary tool to update their friends and family.

The two little ones didn't, but dd1 (who's having FHC this May!) gave up chocolate. It's been hard for her and she's whined some, but I'm very proud of her, she's been the one to remind me that she can't have something because it has chocolate in it. So she kind of pouts but she sticks with it. I keep reminding her that it's a sacrifice precisely because it's difficult!

Yes, I do homeschool! Right now I'm only hsing dd1 and dd2 goes to a developmental preK, but I think next year I'm going to be homeschooling her as well. Dd1 went to Catholic school for preK and Kindergarten and has been hs for 1st and 2nd grade. I love hsing, and we're very blessed to have a fantastic Catholic hsing co-op.

User Tag List