Reactions when you heard/saw the heartbeat? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-04-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been reading everyones first appt threads and was just wondering what your reaction to hearing/seeing the heartbeat for the first time.

Mine was relief to the point I just started crying and shaking..

Happily married, crunchy mama crazy in love with our little man, Bam bam (10/5/10) due aug 2014 with our rainbow bean missing our 3 angel babies (9/09, 7/12, 12/12)
#2 of 5 Old 03-04-2010, 04:38 PM

and it's so unglamorous, with the u/s wand and the paper "sheet" erm, towel, and everything.

I didn't realize how anxious I was about it until I saw the heartbeat, until I felt the overwhelming feeling of relief, it was only in retrospect that I was able to see how anxious I had been.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#3 of 5 Old 03-04-2010, 04:41 PM

one of the reaons i like UP'ing--i'm giddy when it's a shared experience w/ my loved ones. in a doctor's office, i'm pretty objective, at least until i get home.

i think the OB during my transvaginal u/s was a bit surprised by my lack of reaction. but considering the circumstances: i had just had a pap, a breast exam, a skin exam (a la, being gawked at completely naked by a strange *male*--altho, he was really great about it) and had to confess my previous homebirths/UC's/midwifery experience... it was a bit clinical to be heartfelt.

but when i heard the heartbeat via my doppler yesterday for the first time, alone, i shed a tear.
#4 of 5 Old 03-04-2010, 05:55 PM

I sobbed.

And sobbed and sobbed and sobbed. I sobbed so hard she had to give me a minute to compose myself!!

I just saw it a few hours ago. I had been having spotting issues and very low progesterone issues, so I really was shocked that my baby was still living. Nice 114 bpm! It was one of the best feelings in the world.

I also sobbed with DD when we heard her HB for the first time too. I am a very emotional person....

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

#5 of 5 Old 03-04-2010, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With dd3 I had had threatened miscarriage so I totally bawled when I could see she was okay. This time I expected to cry too, because I've lost the last two, but the heartbeat was so hard to see (I was only 5w6d) that it didn't really do a lot to ease my fears, ywkim? She couldn't even get it on audio for more than a split second. I think I'll react a lot more strongly once I hear (or see) a good clear heart beat.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page