first lab test and hcg levels question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-04-2010, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do they always test for hcg levels in the first bloodwork?
My labs came back all normal but it seems i don't get a phonecall back from the nurse...i am not sure if they tested me for hcg levels too or not...?

Does anyone know if that's a standard test?

Thank you
#2 of 11 Old 03-04-2010, 06:37 PM

Hmm...I'm really not sure.

My CNM put in a special order for hcg levels and progesterone levels.

I am not really sure that they do those levels normally..but they might!!! Can you call and ask? I am so impatient..so I call pretty much until I get some answers...

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

#3 of 11 Old 03-04-2010, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you

I took your advise and called them again, she said they never test hormones unless special ordered...!?

I wonder why, i thought it is important...or not!?

well, anyhow, i will try not to be so worried...if that's at all possible
#4 of 11 Old 03-04-2010, 07:49 PM

Yeah, mine doesn't either, unless they suspect a problem.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#5 of 11 Old 03-04-2010, 07:52 PM

I don't think mine were ever checked with ds - and I think the only reason mine were checked this time is because of my history of m/c.

If you are wondering, I would certainly call and ask exactly what tests were run, and what your numbers/results were. It's your medical file, you have every right to all the information.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#6 of 11 Old 03-04-2010, 08:04 PM

My "treating my like I'm normal and routine" midwife didn't run either.

My "treating me like I'm infertile and had IVF" doctors did.

It's also why some people have early U/S - with IVF it's important to know if there are one or two embryos and to make sure that there isn't an embryo outside of the uterus.

With a low-tech conception, usually there's a lot less need for monitoring, they go along assuming everything is fine and healthy and normal and nothing to worry about.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#7 of 11 Old 03-04-2010, 08:05 PM

ddcc

hcg and progesterone levels are only checked if there is a history of m/c, fertility issues, or medical necessity. i wouldn't worry about that part at all mama.

i did not have my hcg levels checked at all w/#'s 1, 2, or 3, and only did w/#4 because of bleeding.

HTH's Tenk

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#8 of 11 Old 03-04-2010, 10:49 PM

It's not standard, neither are early ultrasounds. It sometimes seems that way after seeing all the posts about HCG and it's hard to just wait.
#9 of 11 Old 03-05-2010, 12:09 AM

Yeah...I asked for her to order a test for my hcg and progesterone since I had spotting. I never had it done with DD....and they wouldn't have done it had I not asked.

Hang in there. Really there is no need for it to be done unless you are spotting/bleeding, etc.

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

#10 of 11 Old 03-05-2010, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nope, it's not routine. I never had my hcg checked with my first three. I have to for all future pregnancies now because I had an ectopic pregnancy (also why I have to have an u/s asap). I also had a second trimester m/c last October, so I like the peace of mind of seeing things seem to be going as they should.

Seems like we have a lot of mamas here who have used some type of reproductive assistance and/or had previous miscarriages, which is why we have a lot of hcg and early u/s posts
#11 of 11 Old 03-05-2010, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, once you have a MC there is a lot of fear the next times around, your mind plays with you and faith goes out the window...terrible, and i am one of them

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page