Nursing another child? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 03-07-2010, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering who else is still nursing another child and pregnant? Are you planning on weaning or tandem nursing?

My DD is 22 months, will be 2 in April and still nurses a LOT when she's around me and at night. I'm trying to night wean her, but it's very slow going. She sleeps with me, and I almost have to wear a turtleneck and tuck it into my pajamas in order to keep from being attacked in the middle of the night. So. . . just wondering what others are doing. . . .

I had such terrible issues with supply with Madi at the beginning, hope it's not the case this time (it gives me the most terrible anxiety). I see weaning as an almost inevitable possibility, but it makes me sad.

Kate (30), mama to Madi (4/18/08) and Jacob Douglas (10/8/10)
#2 of 66 Old 03-07-2010, 10:44 PM

My DD has just turned 2. She has gone from being a very avid breastfeeder (say every 2-3hours during day and once or twice at night) to maybe 4 times a day and once overnight in the last two weeks. I barely even feel a let down anymore. At first it made me sad but now I'm kinda glad for the break. My nips hurt!

I tried to nightwean too, but it was just awful. We'll revisit it in a month or two and I really hope it works. I don't want to be night feeding two children.

I really hope to tandem, but if she weans before then, then so be it. If your Madi doesn't wean during the pregnancy her nursing will most certainly help your supply. It all depends on her of course though, and how happy mama is to continue

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#3 of 66 Old 03-08-2010, 01:07 AM

I was planning to tandem. My DD is almost 3 (:cry) and I never ever thought I'd "wean" her.

However, now that I'm pregnant and having some spotting issues, it's hard for me to tell if the nursing is part of the equation. I noticed on two separate occasions that when she nursed a lot, the days after I would spot (and it would scare the bejesus out of me!!) I also have a UTI thrown in there that could be why I'm spotting, as well as some low progesterone..ugh.

Anyway, my thoughts are that my body is only really capable of handling taking care of me, and taking care of nourishing and growing my new little baby. Since DD is almost 3, and since she's been only comfort nursing for the past 6 months at least anyway (i sincerely doubt I have any milk left as I never feel her swallow, gulp, never see milk in her mouth, etc), that it's time for her to be done. We've had a great run, but now is the time, and as much as I never wanted to wean her, when you get pregnant again, you have to think of EVERYONE...including new baby as well....and new baby needs my energy right now.

*sigh*

It's hard. But I WILL say that maybe once the first trimester is over, if DD wants to try to nurse again, I think I"ll let her. I'd let her when the new baby gets here too. I might try to nurse her once a week for a while, but a very short time so as to not irritate my uterus. We'll see. Right now I'm too nervous to nurse her because of the spotting.

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

#4 of 66 Old 03-08-2010, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I nursed through my second pregnancy and tandem nursed for about 4 months after the birth, but daughter weaned a few months ago, so not this time.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#5 of 66 Old 03-08-2010, 03:45 AM

My ds weaned at 32 months...the week I got pregnant. I am really happy for that because the thought of nursing right now, amid such morning sickness, is really not appealing.

caffix.gif

#6 of 66 Old 03-08-2010, 04:45 AM

I nursed my first child for 5 months into my second pregnancy and am now still nursing my second child, but he only wants it once every couple of days, which is nice because he is a biter and my boobies hurt

Michelle, Happily married to first crush 4/2005, SAHM to DD 7/2006 , DS 8/2008 ,angel1.gif 4/2010, DD 3/2011, expecting DS 8/2013. 

#7 of 66 Old 03-08-2010, 09:51 AM

Last pregnancy dd2 weaned herself around 28 months. Dd3 is almost 2 years and still nursing, but I'm encouraging weaning. I've got her down to like once at night and 3-4 times during the day.
#8 of 66 Old 03-08-2010, 10:50 AM

I tandemed for about a month with my DS and DD, and had so many issues that got instantly resolved when I weaned her (she was 2 then). I have a 20-month old boobie monster now, and he will be 2 years 3 months when this one comes, so I might try to wean him beforehand. Not sure. I am not completely opposed to tandeming, but...I don't really *want* to.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#9 of 66 Old 03-08-2010, 10:55 AM

I'm still nursing my 29 month old and I'd like to tandem nurse. I did night wean her though about a week ago.

Quote:
I tried to nightwean too, but it was just awful. We'll revisit it in a month or two and I really hope it works. I don't want to be night feeding two children.
I began trying to night wean my daughter when she was about 22 months. I would attempt it for a night or two--it would be horrible--and then I'd stop and try it again a few months later. This last time she cried a little over it for the first few nights, but nothing like the full scale fits she threw during my other attempts. Within a few days she stopped asking at night and the frequency of her night wakings actually decreased.

I did nothing different this time than the other times... I think that there may just be a point where they're ready. I offered the same verbal explanations every time and it was only this time that she tried to argue with me and negotiate about when we would nurse/not nurse.

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#10 of 66 Old 03-08-2010, 12:36 PM

I am still nursing my 9 month old daughter. She's still so young, I am doing my best to keep her nursing as long as possible. However......if she decides to wean early because of the pregnancy, I will just go with it.
#11 of 66 Old 03-08-2010, 01:00 PM

My DD will be 2 in April and I had hoped to nurse her at least partway through this pregnancy. I know I do not want to tandem nurse so had planned to "help" her wean well before the baby came. I have struggled with severely sore nipples the entire time I've been breastfeeding and the pain while breastfeeding now that I'm pregnant has been excruciating.

I started to work on slowly weaning her about a month ago and we are now down to only once a day (5 minutes before bed which is all I can stand). It is breaking my heart and I feel like a horrible mama. However, DD is adjusting really well. She is definitely more cuddly and needs to be held a lot (which is fine by me!) but she has responded really, really well.

The nightweaning thing kind of happened on its own. I started by nursing her in a chair and then moving into the bed and telling her we don't nurse anymore in the bed. It only took a few days until she had no problem with this. It was only in the last couple weeks that I cut out the 4 am nursing.

I have found that talking to her about what is happening really helps. And also preparing her for it by telling her things like "soon we are only going to nurse once before bedtime" and that sort of thing. It seems to help.

DD born April 7/08 and expecting #2 October 2010!
#12 of 66 Old 03-08-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparker View Post
I began trying to night wean my daughter when she was about 22 months. I would attempt it for a night or two--it would be horrible--and then I'd stop and try it again a few months later. This last time she cried a little over it for the first few nights, but nothing like the full scale fits she threw during my other attempts. Within a few days she stopped asking at night and the frequency of her night wakings actually decreased.
This is very encouraging to hear, thank you.

#13 of 66 Old 03-08-2010, 03:56 PM

I'm still nursing my 20 month old. She is not ready to night wean at all, either.
#14 of 66 Old 03-08-2010, 05:27 PM

I definitely plan on nursing my 3 month old DS. My supply has dipped in the last few days but up until then, he was getting about 50% of his nourishment, I'm guessing, from the breast. We had major bf issues right after he was born and I ended up working back from exclusive formula feeding to part-time bf. I'm currently working on keeping/increasing my supply (and am eating like a horse to support two babes!) I'm actually hoping that when new LO arrives, I'll have massive supply like I did in the beginning with DS and can tandem.

Lore, mom to my sweet little boy, born at home 11/09, and my spunky little girl, born in the hospital 10/10

#15 of 66 Old 03-08-2010, 06:14 PM

I'm nursing my DD, who will be 3 in 3 weeks. We nurse for about an hour in the morning and at bedtime, and sometimes once or twice in the middle of the day. She LOVES nursing and I can't see her backing off voluntarily...though she's rejecting my lower-producing side now, and I can just imagine her nursing off one side only for the rest of this pregnancy,

We night weaned right around 2.5 to help get my fertility back, and she was ready enough for it that it went pretty smoothly. DH was very much on board as well and took over a lot of the nighttime parenting when we nightweaned, which helped a TON. DD still asks to nurse most nights but doesn't get as upset about it, since it has been almost 6 months and she *knows* the answer...but she loves mama milk and wants it at night, too, so who can blame her for trying? (Though a night of uninterrupted sleep...oooh now that would be nice...anyhow, just sayin' -- night weaning does not equal sleeping through the night...)

IF DD chooses to nurse through this pregnancy (and it's okay so far, sore nipples and maybe a dip in supply, but she wants to nurse as much as ever), I'm open to tandem nursing. We'll have to wait and see

DD March 2007...happily nursing, EC graduated, family-bed-sharing family... expecting another in early November!
#16 of 66 Old 03-08-2010, 06:48 PM

I'm still nursing my daughter, who just turned 2. She's nursing night and day and showing no sign of stopping. I'm planning on weaning her everntually, but have no contcrete plans.

Girl #1: 2/14/08
Girl #2: 10/14/10
#17 of 66 Old 03-08-2010, 07:40 PM

I'm nusring dc#2 who is 29 mos. I do not want to tandem. I am guessing there will be a mostly-mutual weaning in the next few months. Coincidentally (?) she was nursing like a newborn just before I found out I was pregnant (growth spurt?) and the timing just worked out that she's nursing much less now. I can even tell her during the night, we'll nurse in the morning, and she's usually fine with that!
I nursed dc#1 until he was 32 or so months and I was halfway done being pregnant with #2! He's 5 now and still asks to nurse, on rare occasion! He doesn't get milk but it's a bonding experience, usually only done when his sister is also nursing.
#18 of 66 Old 03-08-2010, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm nursing my 15 month old and have no plans to wean or night wean. I hope he keeps it up (though my nipples are killing!) as long as he wants to.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and Littlest Lake due mid-Dec 2014.
#19 of 66 Old 03-08-2010, 10:36 PM

I'm nursing 17 m/o DD right now. She was nursing 8-10 times a day and 1-2 at night until a few weeks ago. I couldn't take it anymore and cut her down to about 4 times during the day and once at night.

obstruct livery vehicles

#20 of 66 Old 03-09-2010, 12:18 AM

those of you that have nightweaned, are you cosleeping still? i usually nightwean closer to 3 yrs (as opposed to close to 2 yrs which is where i'm at w/ my youngest ((21 mos.)) and it's always gone pretty smooth, but i think it's mostly because by that point, children can be pretty well reasoned w/. so far i've been able to disuade the "all-night-nursing" marathons and graduate things down to maybe just a few quick times here and there throughout the night, which has helped immensely w/ my quality of sleep. as far as nursing in general, i'm not feeling compelled yet to steer things in any particular direction. altho, if i had any concerns at all, it would be the nursing/cosleeping w/ both a toddler and a newborn and how that's supposed to look. i have no clue about those logistics. (any btdt advice would be much appreciated)
#21 of 66 Old 03-09-2010, 09:55 AM

I nightweaned my 22 month old daughter shortly after I found out I was pregnant. She was finally ready as she did take it well as compared with previous attempts where it did not go well at all. We're still co-sleeping and nursing during the day at least 5 times, usually more. She's lengthened some of her nursing sessions in response to the night-weaning. It was more painful in the beginning, got better, and now is getting more painful again. I think it has more to do with her teething than my body as she's getting her two year molars. We'll keep going so long as it's working for both of us (and the new one!)

Mama to DD1 4/08fly-by-nursing1.gif and DD2 10/10 bfinfant.gifcd.gifcat.gif
#22 of 66 Old 03-09-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusma View Post
those of you that have nightweaned, are you cosleeping still?
We're partial cosleeping? I nurse Alice to sleep in her own bed. I leave her closet light on and her door open so that she can find her way to our room if she wakes up. At some point in the night she'll get up, come into our room, close the door, and get into bed with me. She isn't scared when she wakes up and seems to enjoy spending the first part of the night in her own bed. (It probably helps that everyone in our house sleeps on futon mattresses on the floor.)

I have no idea how cosleeping with the baby is going to work either. My husband is going to have to learn to either take up a lot less space in bed or go back to sleeping in his own room. I'm hoping that Alice will have been night weaned long enough at that point that she won't want to nurse at night again.

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#23 of 66 Old 03-09-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusma View Post
those of you that have nightweaned, are you cosleeping still? i usually nightwean closer to 3 yrs (as opposed to close to 2 yrs which is where i'm at w/ my youngest ((21 mos.)) and it's always gone pretty smooth, but i think it's mostly because by that point, children can be pretty well reasoned w/. so far i've been able to disuade the "all-night-nursing" marathons and graduate things down to maybe just a few quick times here and there throughout the night, which has helped immensely w/ my quality of sleep. as far as nursing in general, i'm not feeling compelled yet to steer things in any particular direction. altho, if i had any concerns at all, it would be the nursing/cosleeping w/ both a toddler and a newborn and how that's supposed to look. i have no clue about those logistics. (any btdt advice would be much appreciated)
I co-sleep part-time. DS has been starting the night on his own in his bed (a full-sized mattress on the floor) for awhile - we just found that we were disturbing his sleep every time we went to bed. He's a fairly light sleeper.

Anyway, then I go in when he wakes up - every now and then DH tries, but he will only accept me.

With the nightweaning - he was not ready until about a month ago. He would become hysterical and so angry he would scratch at us and could ONLY then be calmed down by nursing. Now he can understand dichotomous choices, so I started telling him "You can snuggle Mommy or Mommy goes bye-bye." A couple times I've had to go away when he kept insisting on nursing, but now he often just asks for his sippy and to snuggle me, and there is no argument at all.

He's been sick, so I nursed him at every wake-up, but only on one side even if he requested both (it just hurts too bad...). But now that he's feeling better, he didn't even ask to nurse last night at his first wake-up. Actually, he's already nightweaned himself an extra hour (I won't nurse him until 4AM right now, but he isn't waking to nurse until 5 or 6!).

I'll officially go to 5AM on his 2nd birthday (end of the month). It's really working out easily - he was ready.

B, happily married to M. Mother to two boys: B (3/08) and A (9/10)
#24 of 66 Old 03-09-2010, 01:48 PM

I am dry nursing my 2 year old, but only when he asks for it. So, who knows if he will still be nursing by the time the other baby gets here...but, ya never know! Once the milk comes in, he may change his mind!

Meredith
#25 of 66 Old 03-09-2010, 02:21 PM

My 4 yo nurses twice a day at the moment. I'll be cutting him down to before bed only in a few months.

My 18 mo still nurses mostly on demand. He's not really a major nurser, though, not like his older brothers were. He actually prefers daddy for comfort than nursing. Go figure. He does still nurse at night. I'll nightwean him in a few months, but for now I'm worried that if I nightwean him he might wean entirely, or at least go on a nursing strike. I can't even fathom my baby weaning before age 2 after nursing two older brothers into early childhood.

So, I expect to be nursing 3 again after Button arrives, for about 6 months at the most. Ds2 will get cut off on his fifth birthday like his brother did. I don't see him weaning on his own anytime soon.

I never really set out to tandem nurse. My oldest was just so attached to nursing that it always seemed easier to continue than to try to wean him. I also have kept a supply up through two pregnancies and have not had much nipple pain at all while nursing. So, it was just easier for me to keep going.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#26 of 66 Old 03-09-2010, 03:33 PM

Lotusma - we haven't nightweaned yet, but when we do I'm pretty sure we'll keep co-sleeping. Part-time like we do now. DD wakes anywhere from 12 - 4 and comes into bed with me. Or maybe DD will become DH's responsibility in the night once she's nightweaned. That would be great!

Our bed is up against the wall and we'll sidecar the cot (crib) on the other side. DH already sleeps in another room as he's a snorer.

#27 of 66 Old 03-09-2010, 09:26 PM

I got dd3 to go bed without nursing with pretty much no problem tonight. She asked to nurse and I said not tonight and and she whined and asked again, so I said, no, but I can give you a big hug and she said okay. Took her hug and went right to bed! I'd really like to have her weaned soon, I need a break before the baby comes. I've been pregnant and/or nursing for almost 6 years non stop.
#28 of 66 Old 03-11-2010, 02:25 AM

I nursed through my last pregnancy and then tandem for 5 months till my oldest was almost 2.5. It actually wasn't too bad and he was still VERY interested in nursing through pregnancy.

This pregnancy I plan to wean in 1-2 months. My "baby" turns 2 in early April and we have a trip planned away from the kids (first ever!) the end of June. Luckily we seems to be nursing less with the pregnancy anyways and is only really nursing 1-2x a day. I'm hoping he weans himself before our trip.

Melissa knit.gifmilitary wife to C : Mom to Ben (4.26.06) ,Will (4.07.08), Sam (10.11.10), and expecting a GIRL in March 2013!

#29 of 66 Old 03-11-2010, 01:36 PM

I nursed my 2.5 year old during my 2nd preg. I lost my supply at 5 weeks and by 5 months, his latch changed and started damaging my nipples. I think that without milk to reinforce his latch, he kind of forgot.

We weaned 2 months before my 2nd was born.

I purposefully waited to get pregnant again until my 2nd weaned. I have highly sensitive nipples - much too stimulating for me. I just didn't want to go through what I went through with my last one.

He weaned in early January, at age 3.75. I got my iud out a week later and got pregnant a couple of weeks later.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#30 of 66 Old 03-11-2010, 05:26 PM

I'm still nursing my 27-month old, but am cutting back and hope to wean completely in the next couple of months. We're also on our third round of night weaning -- nightweaned in December, started up again when traveling to visit inlaws after Christmas, nightweaned again in mid-late January, started up again when she and I got sick a few weeks ago, and are now night-weaning yet again... but it's easier this time, and before we started she was already pretty much down to once around 1-3 AM and once around 5-7 AM. That second, early morning feeding will probably be the next to go, and I'm still nursing her to sleep for naps (sometimes it takes 2 tries, a few hours apart) and at night.

We're continuing to co-sleep and will be for at least a few more months until we move into our own house where at least we'll have the option of setting up a separate bedroom for DD, which we don't have at the moment. If she does want to continue to co-sleep, I think we'll continue with some variation of the current arrangement -- she and I sleep on a double mattress and DH sleeps on a single matress next to ours. He goes to sleep hours and hours after we do and doesn't like nearly so many covers (I get cold at night easily, he's the opposite). I think I would be able to fit baby, toddler and myself onto one double mattress, but maybe we'll go to two doubles, and just have the biggest bed in the world!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page