What are the must haves for having two under two - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-17-2010, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I am going to have two under two. Do any of you moms of multiples care to share what your must have products are for entertaining a toddler and a newborn?

Double stroller
extra crib
specific carriers?

Harmony; fly-by-nursing2.gifslingtwin.giffamilybed2.gifcd.giftreehugger.gifblogging.jpg to DH and first time Mom to Xander! 12/24/2008babyf.gif and Oliver 11/3/10 babyf.gif
#2 of 16 Old 03-17-2010, 03:50 PM

The #1 best product to have IMO is a good baby carrier that allows you to have both hands free and bend over without the baby's head flopping about. I think you should get a stretchy wrap like a Moby or a Sleepy Wrap. After a few months, you might want to invest in an ergo.

A double stroller is nice, but not necessary. I am not a super touchy-feely person and sometimes I really needed both hands free and a double stroller accomplished that for me.

We don't co-sleep so I know this answer will differ for you if you do. I did not buy an extra crib. I just used a pack 'n play. DS still naps in it and doesn't seem to mind at all.
#3 of 16 Old 03-17-2010, 04:04 PM

I'm glad you brought this up because it's something I need to think about too.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#4 of 16 Old 03-17-2010, 04:13 PM

Technically, I'll have two under 2yrs 1mth, but I think I'll still follow this thread closely!

We do plan to purchase a second crib because we don't co-sleep and we have a stokke sleepi and DD will sleep in that until she's 7, at least! I have two Moby's, which I love, and hope to use them with the new one. I'll probably skip the double stroller, because they seem so cumbersome.
#5 of 16 Old 03-17-2010, 06:41 PM

My boys are 14 months apart... And I will have 3 under 3 when this baby is born but here is my list of must haves...

A double stroller... I didn't use a stroller much with my first but with 2 it is so much harder getting the infant in the carrier and getting the older one in and out I used mine all the time!

A good carrier

extra crib

more storage!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#6 of 16 Old 03-17-2010, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Double stroller, definitely. Dd2 and dd3 were actually 32 months apart, but dd2 is developmentally delayed, so she was more like 18-24 months deveopmentally when dd3 was born. The double stroller was a life saver, especially since dd3 hated the sling once she hit a few months old and dd2 has serious vision problems and gets fearful walking in crowds.
#7 of 16 Old 03-17-2010, 08:53 PM

I will also have 2 under 2 for a month anyways and I am also very interested in what others add. As far as you mamas with the double strollers....which one do you have and do you like it??? I am making myself nuts looking at them online...

Wife to DH : and SAHM to miracle DS born 10/30/08 and expecting a second miracle 10/03/10 after 11/09 loss. Only semi- crunchy but learning as I go...
#8 of 16 Old 03-17-2010, 09:15 PM

I have the City Mini Double by Baby Jogger. It's fine. I love that the sun shades cover everything, but the storage is hard to access and it doesn't fold up very small to take on the bus or a plane. I have yet to meet somebody that absolutely loves their double stroller, so keep that in mind.
#9 of 16 Old 03-17-2010, 09:15 PM

I have the Graco Quatro Tour Duo... I LOVE it!! There are obviously others that are great too but most are WAY more expensive and I just couldn't justify spending 400+ on a stroller. I like the one I have because it fits my carseat AND the back seat lies all the way flat and the foot part folds up so it is like a bassinet. Great for outings when you take the baby but don't want the carseat and all that jazz.

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#10 of 16 Old 03-17-2010, 10:09 PM

Patience and a goo sense of humor.

Good luck
#11 of 16 Old 03-18-2010, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We had 3 under 3, and a good carrier is a must. My fav's were a FH and Kozy. Learning a good newborn back carry was necessary for me. A double stroller was nice but since I mostly carried the baby, the stroller was good for the diaper bag, which is often loaded with having 2 babies. We only use our crib as a side car and just had 2 and then 3 little ones in bed with us. At one point we had crib+queen bed+twin bed squished together in our room.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#12 of 16 Old 03-19-2010, 02:32 PM

I have a Contours double stroller and I LOVE it! My husband LOVES it and even my 2 and 4 year old still love it! I HIGHLY recommend it. It is still only $200 at Babies R Us. It's metal not plastic. There haven't been any recalls on it since it was released. And you can change the chairs and how you want to lay it out. The basket is easily accessible which was huge for me. I didn't want a stroller that I couldn't get to the basket on. It easily turns on a dime, easily folds up and folds back out. It's the best double stroller that my husband and I have tested and liked.

I will have to buy another crib myself too. Not looking forward to that. I have a good Cuddlywrap that I will keep. I will be making more cloth diapers to accomodate more in diapers.

I will be following this thread to get more ideas!

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#13 of 16 Old 03-19-2010, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have the evenflo take me too double stroller. It was like, a hundred bucks. And it's worked awesome (we've had it for 2 years).
#14 of 16 Old 03-21-2010, 11:58 AM

My son Jack was 15m when Laim was born. Jack's crib was side-carred to our bed and we planned to have a family bed but that didn't work...baby 2 kept waking baby 1 so we had to get Jack into his own room and bought another crib. We bought a double stroller which was a must have, however I totally regret buying the Graco Quattro instead of getting the Maclaren double...the Graco is a beast and has foever been more stroller than we need. I have a Moby but have never been a huge fan...my Mei Tai carrier is a lifesave! I learned to back carry and that was the best thing ever.

Unfortunately, my son was less than forgiving about bringing home a new baby. We thought we did everything right by getting a baby doll and practicing life with a baby and talking and reading all about babies. But Jack was p*ssed to not be an only child anymore...and is still that way. We had to borrow a pack-n-play which we never had as Jack spent all his time on the floor roaming. But post baby we needed a safe place to put him when I nursed Liam. Jack would come over and hit him or just have violent tantrums which I couldn't control or help him through while nursing Liam. It was really a tough transition for him and he really hasn't been the same since...his personality changed almost overnight...one tool (toy) that really saved us was this one...it really focused Jack while I nursed or had to tend to Liam. I only took it out when Liam demanded my attention and Jack loved it!

Technically I will have 3...3 and under come this Fall when Baby #3 is born. I'm not nervous about any of the baby stuff...I am worried about how the new baby will affect the personality of the other two...will Liam have the same issues with the new baby and change as drastically as Jack did...will Jack handle this baby better since he is older...it stresses me out!

Mama to Jack (12/7/06) & Liam (4/3/08) & Iris Hope (10/6/10)
#15 of 16 Old 03-22-2010, 10:23 AM

YES YES YES,a Mei Tai. I'll have to add asking for help to the list and asking your DH to help out a little more. Personally I've always been very independent so asking for help was difficult for me. It took me some years. An extra set of hands works wonders.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#16 of 16 Old 08-14-2014, 06:00 PM

helpful tip

I found www.lifewith2under2.com to be useful, they have a must haves checklist for 2 under 2.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page