What did you eat today? (food log) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 82 Old 03-20-2010, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just came from my usual round at fitday.com and thought i'd come straight over here and start a food thread for those interested in being accountable amongst their peers.

Post away!
#2 of 82 Old 03-20-2010, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

I seem to be eating alot of ww carbs, but in my defense, i went strict paleo during the holidays and gained 7 pounds. (too many nuts/seeds i now presume)

Today:
--3 cups cheerios and 1 cup skim milk (the majority of my food intake seems to need to happen in the morning/early afternoon)
--1 small/medium canteloupe
--1/2 c. toasted almonds
--handful dried apricots

about 1,600 calories, which seems to be my norm these days. (i'm 5'6", and *supposed* to be 130lbs if you go according to pre-holidays. :b) it doesn't sound like alot, but i am WAY bloated, gassy and rather ill atm, so don't foresee needing much else today.

so far it feels good to be as conscious as i have been of what i eat--i see a much bigger difference already (in my spirits) this time around than last. i *will* feel good experiencing/living this pregnancy.
#3 of 82 Old 03-20-2010, 09:30 PM

i'm giving myself permission to eat crappy until I get past the morning sickness stage but i'll post anyway and use this thread to help me set small goals for improvement.

i ate a can of green beans, a container of strawberries (about 2-3 cups?), half a peach, a jimmy dean sausage breakfast biscuit (my new favorite food), a cup of milk, bowl of captain crunch (ok, 2 bowls *bad*), and half of a small donut (~100 calories), water, crystal light and orange juice. i'm still hungry but everything sounds disgusting.

when i get to the second trimester my first goals will be to try to eat more whole grains and less sugar, and also to eat hard-boiled eggs as low calorie snacks at least a few days a week.

my only goal right now is to limit salt and to try to eat fruit with high water content when i'm not sure if i'm nauseous due to hunger or thirst. weird, i know.

lotusma - what you listed sounds like a lot less than 1600 calories. ?
#4 of 82 Old 03-20-2010, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

i'm just coming out of the same boat, macy. i'm 12 weeks and food is *just* beginning to be less of nausea/gross factor. yesterday, however, (feeling ill) i had 4 chocolate chip cookies and a slice of pizza for dinner, in that order, lol, because nothing else sounded good.

quote: lotusma - what you listed sounds like a lot less than 1600 calories. ?

i know, i thought so too, but not according to fitdays calculations. *shrug*
#5 of 82 Old 03-20-2010, 09:42 PM

I didn't do as bad today as I have a lot of days... I am still at the point though where if I don't eat what sounds good then I don't eat!!

B- bowl of frosted shredded wheat with skim milk
L- pickles
S- marble slab ice cream
D- chicken drumstick, fajita rice, green beans and garlic toast

I REALLY need to eat more protein.. I should boil up a bunch of eggs and just keep them in the fridge. How long are eggs good for in the fridge anyway?

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#6 of 82 Old 03-20-2010, 09:48 PM

Hard-boiled eggs are good at least a week. I normally make a week's worth on Sunday nights.
#7 of 82 Old 03-20-2010, 10:07 PM

Hard boiled eggs with the shell intact are good for quite a while in the fridge.

I had
B - a sausage, egg, and cheddar english muffin, medium latte, 1/2 whole wheat blueberry muffin
S - 2 clementine oranges
L - egg salad sandwich, clementine orange
S - ~0.5oz cranberry stilton
D - quick turkey "chili", artichoke with mayo, 2 slices toast with butter
S - glass of milk

And I discovered my food picky toddler loves clementines. Good thing since I have a whole crate of them.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#8 of 82 Old 03-20-2010, 11:28 PM

today was a bad bad day for me. It was my grandma's 80th birthday party and it was basically eating from 2-7. So here it goes this is just what I can remember.

B: 1 scrambled egg, decaf coffee w/creamer, glass skim milk
L: salad, 2oz ham, 1oz corned beef, 4 cookies 1/2 slice of cake, lots of chex mix(a lot), carrots, grapes, augratin potatoes
S: 1 everything bagel with butter, and fat free vanilla greek yogurt
D: 2 slices of pizza, 1/3 apple

I feel like crap. tomorrow will be better and yesterday was better.

Harmony; fly-by-nursing2.gifslingtwin.giffamilybed2.gifcd.giftreehugger.gifblogging.jpg to DH and first time Mom to Xander! 12/24/2008babyf.gif and Oliver 11/3/10 babyf.gif
#9 of 82 Old 03-21-2010, 01:30 AM

I've had an awful eating day. Sick in the morning. Sick at night.

B: 1/2 an English muffin with peach jam. 1.5 cups of Milk.
L: Cheese Pizza. Salad.
D: I ate 1/2 a waffle and some tortilla chips. Water. I stole one of DD's fish sticks. It made me ill. Zofran. I'm going to try and eat something here in a minute (it's 11:30. . . .).

Kate (30), mama to Madi (4/18/08) and Jacob Douglas (10/8/10)
#10 of 82 Old 03-21-2010, 09:09 AM

B- slice of wheat toast w/ natural peanut butter

L - was feeling too sick to eat, got down 1/2 a turkey sandwich on wheat later on

D - dh grilled steak and shrimp - i made mushrooms to go on the steak, a yummy salad to put the shrimp on, homemade rolls & angel food cake cupcakes (filled with homemade custard & strawberries) - I ate a little bit of everything. Total splurge but YUMMY.

My Mom got ds some sour patch kids jelly beans. Ds and I LOVE those those things and I'll fully admit I popped quite a few jelly beans throughout the day/evening. Even when feeling sick - I could suck a few sour jelly beans down.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#11 of 82 Old 03-21-2010, 11:43 AM

after dinner last night (egg sandwich with two eggs on one slice double fiber bread) i told myself no more snacking because i'd already eaten enough for one day but then i woke up dry heaving (gross, sorry!) from hunger and had to have a snack.

it is really impossible for me to make any attempt at normal eating right now. i know they say you don't really need to eat more in your first trimester than you did before you were pregnant but my body doesn't seem to be giving me a choice. it's very frustrating.

i should wait until april to participate in this thread and see if it goes better then.
#12 of 82 Old 03-21-2010, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had a brownie and 2 cups of coffee, ha.
#13 of 82 Old 03-21-2010, 02:45 PM

I had 2 spoonfuls of cheerios and a quarter of a breakfast sandwich from the deli.

For dinner I'll probably finish that sandwich.

Food is not my friend lately. Yesterday my MIL took us out to dinner and I ate a full meal- then spent 2 hours in the bathroom laying in a cold sweat on the floor and getting sick (in both directions IYKWIM).

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#14 of 82 Old 03-21-2010, 04:17 PM

Today I've had 4oz yogurt, a banana, a handful of 'nilla wafers, three slices of cheddar cheese, and a bowl of rice crispies with honey and milk. And I'm STARVING. I've only been awake for four hours!
#15 of 82 Old 03-21-2010, 04:50 PM

I tend to eat sort of crappy on the weekends! During the week I eat about 5 fruits, drink a ton of water and get lots of protein...the weekend though...well do swedish berries count as fruit?!?
Today:
Fibre one cereal with skim milk(What I eat 6 out of 7 mornings.)
Grilled cheese on cheese bread.
Sweet and Saltines which I foolishly made yesterday and am making DH bring to his work tomorrow so they are gone from my fridge! Seriously what was I thinking making toffee and chocolate covered saltines?!?
#16 of 82 Old 03-21-2010, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

i stayed up much later than usual last night and began feeling famished at midnight, just as i was turning in. i was way too lazy/tired to make myself something to eat but i dearly paid for it this morning. i was so ill upon waking up and it's continued off and on all day.

today's been kinda crummy, but w/ being ill and then running errands all afternoon...

(we got the family bikes today. woohoo! bring on the exercise and free family entertainment!)

2 english muffins slathered w/ butter, w/ an egg (really, i just ate what the toddler didn't) (539 calories--wow! I knew butter was ridiculous, but....!)

1/2 a container of yogurt (62 calories)

a wendy's grilled chicken sandwich w/ veggie fixins', (403 calories) a few of dh's fries (453 calories) and some bites of the babe's ice cream. (149 calories)

grand total: 1605

i'll likely eat fruit or a smoothie later.
#17 of 82 Old 03-21-2010, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Head View Post
I tend to eat sort of crappy on the weekends! During the week I eat about 5 fruits, drink a ton of water and get lots of protein...the weekend though...well do swedish berries count as fruit?!?
Today:
Fibre one cereal with skim milk(What I eat 6 out of 7 mornings.)
Grilled cheese on cheese bread.
Sweet and Saltines which I foolishly made yesterday and am making DH bring to his work tomorrow so they are gone from my fridge! Seriously what was I thinking making toffee and chocolate covered saltines?!?
i do more poorly on the weekends, too, since i'm less focused and have many more random things going on.

toffee and chocolate covered saltines--YUM!
#18 of 82 Old 03-21-2010, 07:09 PM

We had dd3's bday party today so besides my brownie this mornign I had deli sandwiches, cake, ice cream, and pop
#19 of 82 Old 03-21-2010, 07:09 PM

Oh, and chips, don't forget the chips...
#20 of 82 Old 03-22-2010, 09:43 AM

I love this thread - it makes me write down what I've eaten! I'm also one that eats better during the week vs. the weekend, and I really need to get back on track this week. No weight gain so far, but I don't feel very good.

Yesterday I ate -

B- homemade biscuit w/ a fried egg

L - Leftover 1/2 of a turkey sand on ww, baby carrots

S- angel food cake cupcake filled w/homemade custard & strawberries

D - grilled turkey sandwich on ww, apple & another cupcake (damnit cupcakes!!)

Today I ate a healthy, small breakfast & have packed a little healthy lunch with lots of fresh fruit/veggies for snacks. Also need to drink way more water.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#21 of 82 Old 03-22-2010, 08:36 PM

Breakfast:
Egg sandwich w/ cheese on whole grain english muffin- nice surprise that DW made for me!

Snacks throughout the day:
banana
greek yogurt w/ blueberries and flax seed
handful of blackberries
handful of grapes
mozzerella cheese stick

Lunch:
10 whole wheat crackers w/ gouda cheese
bunch of baby carrots w/ garlic hummus

Dinner:
2 pieces organic spinach pizza

Dessert:
Emergen-C and pregnancy tea infusion (since I usually don't eat enough dark leafy greens)

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#22 of 82 Old 03-22-2010, 08:41 PM

Is anyone else keeping an online food journal? I found babyfit today and am really liking it!

Today I had -

B - whole grain english muffin toasted with cottage cheese on one & organic strawberry jam on the other, sliced apple

S - orange, tortilla chips & salsa

L - Turkey sandwich on ww bread, plum

S - orange

D - turkey chili & sliced cucumber

#23 of 82 Old 03-22-2010, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

2 cups bran flakes w/ whole milk (i ran out of my skim so had to use the kids)

banana

2 cups sushi rice w/ soy sauce and sweet chili sauce

2 cups apple sauce

ww tortilla w/ pinto beans and avocado

few pieces of dried apricots

and a bike ride that felt pretty hard core, lol.

about 1500 calories. seems like i've had more, as i'm super stuffed and bloated. anyone know, or wanna help me figure out if *only* eating about that much a day is a problem? i've never been a calorie counter so numbers mean nothing to me. and maybe it's ok too since that's what my body seems to want/require. (i think i'm considered relatively sedentary in terms of exercise, however, i never just sit. i'm either cleaning or chasing or breastfeeding a toddler.)
#24 of 82 Old 03-22-2010, 09:20 PM

I really need to get my act together and stop eating like crap... Today I had:

B- bowl of honey bunches of oats with skim milk

L- grilled cheese with bacon and tomato, bunch of extra bacon, fries.. I blame my wonderful friend for this lunch! I have been complaining about how I want grilled cheese how she makes it (with the tomato and bacon in it) but I am incapable of making grilled cheese for some reason so she came over and made it for me... love her!!!!

S- animal crackers

D- mac and cheese and baked beans..

I guess it could have been worse but it definitely wasn't good! On the plus side we went for a walk today?

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#25 of 82 Old 03-22-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusma View Post
anyone know, or wanna help me figure out if *only* eating about that much a day is a problem?
i don't know anything but 1500 calories seems too low to me. i'm 115 pounds now and 5'5", and i normally need at least 1800 to maintain my weight. i work on a computer most of the day so i'm pretty inactive but i usually do about an hour of medium intensity exercise each night. i don't think that i get as much exercise as you do chasing around a toddler all day, so i'd think you need at least 1800 calories a day too. plus, you're in the second trimester now so at some point aren't you supposed to start needing to increase your caloric intake by about 300 calories? when does that start? i should ask my doctor that next time i see her.

i guess if you don't feel hungry and you are on track in terms of your weight gain then you must be eating enough food and you don't need to worry, but i am surprised you can get through the day on such a small amount of food.

i've been tracking my weight with this tracker and it's helping me relax a little bit to see that so far i'm on track, even if i'm at the higher end of what's considered healthy weight gain. you might like it too if like me you worry about gaining too much weight: http://www.babycenter.com/pregnancy-...gain-estimator
#26 of 82 Old 03-22-2010, 10:53 PM

Wow. I think I eat a lot these days. WAY more than pre pregnancy and I remember going back to more normal eating habits after the first trimester last time. Here's what I had:

B: whole-grain bagel with cream cheese & chai tea
S: two apples and a banana
L: potato/cheese and sauerkraut/mushroom perogies with sour cream and carmelized onions (yesterdays leftovers) plus spinach salad with steamed green beans and hard boiled egg and balsamic olive oil dressing.
S: blueberry muffin and hot chocolate
D: whole-wheat pasta with meat sauce and more spinach salad with mushrooms and green beans (same dressing.)
S: tripple chocolate ice cream

No idea how many calories. Probably like 2500. At least. I have to feed my nausea or it gets much worse. I have no trouble eating, though some foods are completely unappealing. I am sickest in the morning (and usually throw up) when my stomach is empty. The more I eat, the better I feel
#27 of 82 Old 03-22-2010, 11:24 PM

2 slices of whole grain toast with organic no salt peanut butter.(figure Im safe as neither of us have any allergies and I really do not eat it that often.)

nectarine

greek yogurt with blueberries

smoked chicken, goat cheese, avocado and tapenade sandwich on whole grain bread with mixed greens with olive oil and balsamic.

oat bar with dark chocolate.

orange and banana

whole wheat pasta with ground turkey and organic salt free pasta sauce.
#28 of 82 Old 03-23-2010, 08:12 AM

Lotusma - that does not seem like enough food to me. BUT, I think it's most important to listen to your body. So if you are not hungry and gaining weight like you should (esp as we move into the second trimester) I wouldn't be concerned.

Babyfit.com tracks calories, fat, carbs, protein, calcium & a few other things ... my calories are staying right around 1700-1900 each day. I'm not loosing or gaining weight yet.

But trust me, I've also been majorly bloated and totally understand how it can make you feel so full and like you don't want to eat anything.

#29 of 82 Old 03-23-2010, 11:54 AM

This thread it making me hungry!!!

Here's yesterday- I use Lose It on the iPhone- it's an awesome calorie/nutrient tracker. I am shooting for around 2200/day on the days I don't exercise and 2500/day on the days I do. I start feeling barfy if I don't eat something little every hour or two or if I eat too much in one sitting, so I basically munch on little snacks all day.

Breakfast- 2 slices ww toast, one with peanut butter
Morning snack- string cheese, 2 Cuties, and baby carrots
Lunch- Chicken and rice soup, apple, wheat crackers and Laughing Cow wedge
Afternoon snack- handful of trail mix, a ClifKids bar, and 2 more Cuties
Dinner- tofu stir-fry and 1/2 cup rice

DH (34) and Me (31) 1/20/10 @ 5 weeks, Awaiting our October pumpkin due 10/30/10!
#30 of 82 Old 03-23-2010, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've been avoiding this thread because I was afraid of how healthy you all would be. Thank goodness at least a few others are eating as horribly as I am!!

So far today I've had:
- small toasted whole wheat pita with butter
- small strawberry yogurt
- about 3 c of cantaloupe
- coffee (1/2 decaf) with LOTS of cream (I only drink coffee for the cream)
- about 10 chocolate chip cookies from the jumbo bag in my desk drawer

And I have to admit that the yogurt and cantaloupe are big improvements over most days where hardly any fruits or vedgies touch my lips. I'm on a processed sugar and carb diet these days. I was the same with DS and I felt horribly guilty about it. This time, I'm trying to just go with the flow and not beat myself up too much. I'll make up for it in a few weeks when I'm feeling better. I actually remember the first salad I had when preg with DS, I was about 22 weeks and only finally starting to feel less barfy. It was a huge pregnancy milestone for me!

I'm dreaming of Chef Boyardee straight from the can for lunch... someone stop me!

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page