First time parents thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 135 Old 04-03-2010, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier View Post
I hate how charged this subject is because it makes it difficult to feel like I'm getting good, unbiased research and opinions.
Just completely avoid internet forums and google searches for your research and stick to only reading articles listed on pubmed.com and you should be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 135 Old 04-03-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtMPapa View Post
o your parents live far away? I told my dad that we would hash out a plan closer to the time. He's all for that, he's actually reasonable, most times, it's my mother who is INSANE.
at least she doesn't call much anymore, she's decided it's too expensive to call the US on a regular basis. I'm into that.
They live about 35-40 minutes away from Toronto, luckily for me my mom does not drive so she could never just pop by! My dad is the more sane one too.
Oh and my mom only calls when she is just about to do something, so I get about 3 minutes of her talking before she has to go.
Lucky me I get to have dinner there tomorrow night!

(sorry to everyone for jacking this thread!)
#63 of 135 Old 04-04-2010, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Head View Post
They live about 35-40 minutes away from Toronto, luckily for me my mom does not drive so she could never just pop by! My dad is the more sane one too.
Oh and my mom only calls when she is just about to do something, so I get about 3 minutes of her talking before she has to go.
Lucky me I get to have dinner there tomorrow night!

(sorry to everyone for jacking this thread!)
You're not jacking anything! I wanted this thread to be here just for a place to chat, not just ask and answer questions.

Here's a lesson I learned this weekend: Do Not give any sort of opinion or advice to someone that's had a baby if you haven't yet! Even on something as important as CIO. I wanted to stick up for the poor baby on Facebook (the mom posted something that broke my heart and I said something) but sheesh I learned my lesson. It felt good that other parents stuck up for me and completely agreed with me. But apparently it means nothing since I don't have my own baby yet. I'm going to try my hardest, when I'm a mother, to listen to non-mothers politely and then roll my eyes in private if need be. Sometimes people know what they're talking about even without the first hand experience. I'm no expert but I do know there is an alternative to CIO. All I did was recommend a book. I mean if I had cancer I'd still listen to an Oncologist who'd never had cancer. Bad analogy but whatever. Ok done ranting now.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#64 of 135 Old 04-05-2010, 11:46 AM

How do you expect this baby to change your existing relationships?

I'm worried.
My family of birth is very far away. We're pretty good at keeping in touch via text, but I won't have as much time to spend at a keyboard, so that will change. I have a feeling I'm going to be needing a lot of advice, and I'm afraid they'll think I only call when I want something. ("Why won't baby sleep?!" "What does this noise mean?" "When is it time to see the doctor?" etc. etc.)

My family of choice is pretty much 100% child-free. They don't understand - and don't want to. In fact, they're already pretty much abandoning me in droves.

I'm trying to make more local friends with people who have children. At my age (35) it seems like everyone I know is either child-free, child-less (and BITTERLY jealous about my pregnancy), or they all had their kids in their teens and their kids are themselves almost ready for kids, now. I don't have much basis for friendship with people who are much younger, and people who are much older have either already had theirs or definitely won't be having any. It puts me in a weird place. I am following up on any potential friendships enthusiastically.

My partner and I have been together for four years but we still feel new in a lot of ways. We learn new things about each other frequently. We agree on a lot of the principles of parenting, but I'm afraid my partner may not have realistic expectations of the way a baby will change our lives. Just the lack of sex since I've been morning sick has been majorly problematic, and I foresee some jealousy problems once the baby comes and I'm absorbed in baby care. But I don't know how to approach the subject without seeming like I'm borrowing trouble. So I'm worried.
#65 of 135 Old 04-05-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchgrrl View Post
You're not jacking anything! I wanted this thread to be here just for a place to chat, not just ask and answer questions.
Here's a lesson I learned this weekend: Do Not give any sort of opinion or advice to someone that's had a baby if you haven't yet!
Ah yes, Ive learned to grin and bear it! Like this weekend when my sister repeatedly told me I WOULD SEE once I had my baby. Dont you love that? I dont agree with a lot of my sisters parenting choices but they are her choices and if its something Im really passionate about Ill give her the facts, because Im a mad researcher while she just does whatever the doctor tells her. My 19mo old neice is always on antibiotics for something and I pointed out that perhaps it might be the antibiotics that were the problem, my sister sort of agreed but was also like Well I cant let her be sick, you will see its awful.
But they have never let her be sick, second she has a sniffle off to the doctor for more antiobiotics, I dont think my neice has been able to build up her own immunity to things because she has constantly been on antibiotics since she was born.

Speaking of this weekend my mother has apparently decided that I cannot do a single thing myself. Seriously I was serving myself a slice of pie and she asked if I was ok doing it. I was warned against walking up the stairs, squatting to pet a cat, going for a walk, lifting my neice because apparently I have become incredibly weak and fragile. Also I was offered glass after glass of milk. My sister was never treated like that when she was pregnant, quite the opposite actually. It didnt annoy me as much as make me laugh.
Then my mother had the gall to deny a bunch of mental abuse she subjected me to when I was a teenager. My sister actually brought it up about all the times our mother freaked out on me so bad that I would go to my sister(who is 5 years younger) and curl up beside her crying and shaking afterwards. She kept saying she didnt remember doing that or would never had done that. Even though my sister backed me up, she didnt apologize just kept denying it. She has completely rewritten her own parenting history and it is so frustrating.
#66 of 135 Old 04-06-2010, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Pineapple Head- Yikes! That sucks about your mom denying everything. I'm sure it's a defense mechanism thing. DW's mom still doesn't believe she actually physically abused her kids.

Yeah I hate the "Just you wait. You'll see." For some things I can see that being true. Like, I can't imagine the sleep deprivation until it happens or how much time it actually takes to go somewhere in the car. But why is it always assumed that we'll have the exact same issues or feel the same way about it? Just the other day my mom (who is normally very very supportive) said "OH I wish I had a tape recorder so you could play back the things you're saying once your baby is here!" Not cool. Yes, I don't know exactly what it will be like but there is nothing wrong with having hopes, dreams, and plans. I'm well aware that the plans might go flying out the window. I'm open to that. Nothing wrong with planning, though. My mom says it's just "tradition" that all mothers say that to soon-to-be mothers. Why is that when not everyone has the same experience? It seems like most people think that their experience is the universal experience.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#67 of 135 Old 04-13-2010, 11:25 PM

Are there any other first-timers who think they maybe, quite possibly, just might be feeling the occasional little kick? There have been three times now in the last two weeks that I felt a couple erratic little taps and couldn't chalk it up to gas or a beating blood vessel. I'm 15w2d today and felt it again this evening. Problem is it only happens when I'm not paying attention, and then when it has my full attention, it refuses to do it again! Argh!

9/2011 items decluttered
#68 of 135 Old 04-14-2010, 02:36 AM

outlier - that sounds promising! At this stage, the bub still has lots of room to move around, and the kicks and pokes are so light that you might not feel 'em all.

I haven't yet, but I have been getting occasional cramps that I think might be practice contractions, but only one every few days, so I'm not worried. It could also just be things changing. I'm getting close to feeling uncomfortable sleeping on my stomach, which is my preferred sleeping position, so I've gotten very creative with pillows and shifting slightly onto my side.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#69 of 135 Old 04-14-2010, 11:23 AM

I think the first signs of movement (as described by friends and family) are more like a feathery sensation, not a full on tap. My sister described it as butterfly wings on her insides or bugs crawling under her skin(Uh I'll take thebutterfly wings.) I'm 15w4d and still waiting for any signs of movement. When I had my ultrasound I was measuring 2.5 weeks bigger so Im rather anxious to feel movement or any kind!

FtMPapa-The cramps are most likely ligaments and muscles stretching or gas nothing to worry about.

My stomach is now hard although I still just look bloated and I have to sleep on my side, which sucks because I'm a back sleeper but even if I fall asleep on my back I wake up feeling odd so I move to my side. I read that sleeping on your left side is best for blood flow and it's definately the most comfortable. I think I'm going to have to invest in one of those giant body pillows because my one extra pillow isn't going to last long!

I have also figured out how to avoid getting up several times during the night to pee. I now drink all of my water before 6pm. I still end up getting up once but it's better than the previous 3-4 times a night! Especially right now since our main bathroom is being renovated so I have to go down 10 stairs to get the other bathroom! I can't wait until the main bathroom is done!
#70 of 135 Old 04-14-2010, 01:40 PM

No movement for me yet (I'm just 11.5w), but I can't wait!

A few more questions for you ladies:

Are any of you in maternity clothes yet? I had a "wow" moment on Monday when the pants I wore last week suddenly would not button anymore. Crazy.

What have you bought so far for the baby? I have been holding out until the second tri to start buying stuff. I have my 12 week appt tomorrow and can't wait for some reassurance that everything is ok. I think we'll "go public" and start shopping after that.

DH (34) and Me (31) 1/20/10 @ 5 weeks, Awaiting our October pumpkin due 10/30/10!
#71 of 135 Old 04-14-2010, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm only 12 weeks. No movement for me yet, either.

Maternity clothes- I've been in maternity jeans for a few weeks already, mainly because I sit all day at work and the buttons on my jeans were uncomfortable. Now, though, even standing and walking I can't wear my old jeans.

Shopping- We bought a little hanging plaque for the nursery that has a baby tiger on it (year of the Tiger baby) and all the attributes around the edges. And we went to Disneyland this weekend and bought a little onesie that has a tie and pocket printed on it and sticking out of the pocket there are pens and a name tag that says "Disney Fan". It looks like a little nerd outfit. It's cute.

#72 of 135 Old 04-14-2010, 02:45 PM

14 weeks today and no movement yet for me. Bummer!

Just bought my first pair of maternity jeans this weekend, and man were they tough to find! Apparently no one in my town has babies, because practically nobody carries maternity clothes - drove all over tarnation to find the darn things.

So when do people normally start buying baby stuff anyway? We haven't gotten a single thing, and honestly I can't even imagine looking at baby stuff until months from now. Then again, I'm the kind of person that packs for vacation at 2 a.m. the night before we leave.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#73 of 135 Old 04-14-2010, 05:32 PM

Are any of you in maternity clothes yet? I have bought some shirts because I really wanted to buy clothes because my wardrobe is bleh.

What have you bought so far for the baby? Organic onesie with matching hat that have an orange squirrel on them and an organic swaddling blanket with grey seagulls on it and a sleep sack that was a 75% off.

My DH keeps telling me not to go nuts because I'll be having 3 showers and will most likely be getting a crazy amount of stuff. My sister had 3 mini van loads of stuff to bring home from just her family shower so I guess he does have a point.
#74 of 135 Old 04-14-2010, 08:35 PM

Fantastic thread! I'm a 1st time-er too and look forward to meeting other 1st time-ers!

What are you looking forward to in pregnancy the most?
I'm SO looking forward to feeling the baby kick! At my last ultrasound a week ago I got to see the little baby moving around and it was so exciting! Also, the baby kept moving that right arm so hubby is convinced that it is a boy that is practicing his jumpshot (DH coaches basketball). LOL!

Do you have any fears of being a parent?
I haven't had any fears about being a parent but I have had some anxiety about labor and delivery. I really want a natural childbirth but haven't got such positive feedback from some friends and family (none of which have attempted).

I've also been a little anxious because I'm job searching. I have been a consultant for many years and have always traveled for my job. Now of course I have NO desire to travel for work and want something more stable but am concerned that once I tell potential employers that I'm expecting they will hesitate to hire me. Fingers crossed!

Are you buying any parenting books?
I bought "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and I would like to buy a book that helps you with creating a birth plan as I have an "idea" of what I want but don't really have a "plan".

Have you decided what kind of birth you'd like to have? If so, what kind of birth, and how did you reach that decision, having never gone through the experience before?
The hospital DH and I have chosen has a midwife team that I absolutely adore so I will be going to them for all of my prenatal visits and one of them will attend the labor and delivery. I would like to have a natural childbirth but I am not putting any pressure on myself at this point to make a final decision. The hospital doesn't have birthing tubs but I am fine with that as I get really hot and really cold and don't want to have to worry about the temperature of the water not being comfortable when I know I can have severe temperature changes. I decided to use a midwife because I want someone who won't be in such a rush to intervene unnecessarily and allow the process to happen naturally as along as it is safe for the baby.

Glad to meet you all!

*** 5 **** 10 **** 15 **** 20 **** 25 **** 30 **** 35 * * * 40
#75 of 135 Old 04-14-2010, 08:43 PM

What brought you to MDC?

I came looking for information as this is my first pregnancy and I feel a bit clueless about what I should be doing to prepare. I don't know anyone who is pregnant so I've stayed around hoping to connect with other mommies-to-be.

Are there things you and your partner don't agree on as far as parenting goes, and how are you going to handle that?

So far we pretty much agree on everything but I'm sure we won't always agree and want to continue handling disagreements the way we always do... talking it out and making the best decision which after hearing each person's point of view. I'm sure it is much easier when there isn't a little one involved but fortunately we were raised very similarly and have similar ideas on parenting.

#76 of 135 Old 04-14-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Head View Post
How do you expect this baby to change your existing relationships?

My mom already annoys the heck out of me for so many reasons. When I told her my plans for a homebirth she said something about how she would be there and I bluntly told her that she was not invited. All of my friends keep telling me how much I will want my mom there right after the baby is born and I cant even imagine wanting her help. I watched how she was/is with my niece and I just know Id end up saying something horrible to her or slapping her. She is just not a source of comfort for me.
You have such a way with words! This is the first time I've laughed in days! I wish I could be that blunt with my MIL but I don't want to put DH in a weird position. I completely understand though because I am worried that the MIL will cause me more anxiety than comfort but am also worried that if I don't include her there will be hell to pay down the line.

#77 of 135 Old 04-14-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
Fantastic thread! I'm a 1st time-er too and look forward to meeting other 1st time-ers!

What are you looking forward to in pregnancy the most?
I'm SO looking forward to feeling the baby kick! At my last ultrasound a week ago I got to see the little baby moving around and it was so exciting! Also, the baby kept moving that right arm so hubby is convinced that it is a boy that is practicing his jumpshot (DH coaches basketball). LOL!

Do you have any fears of being a parent?
I haven't had any fears about being a parent but I have had some anxiety about labor and delivery. I really want a natural childbirth but haven't got such positive feedback from some friends and family (none of which have attempted).

I've also been a little anxious because I'm job searching. I have been a consultant for many years and have always traveled for my job. Now of course I have NO desire to travel for work and want something more stable but am concerned that once I tell potential employers that I'm expecting they will hesitate to hire me. Fingers crossed!

Are you buying any parenting books?
I bought "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and I would like to buy a book that helps you with creating a birth plan as I have an "idea" of what I want but don't really have a "plan".

Have you decided what kind of birth you'd like to have? If so, what kind of birth, and how did you reach that decision, having never gone through the experience before?
The hospital DH and I have chosen has a midwife team that I absolutely adore so I will be going to them for all of my prenatal visits and one of them will attend the labor and delivery. I would like to have a natural childbirth but I am not putting any pressure on myself at this point to make a final decision. The hospital doesn't have birthing tubs but I am fine with that as I get really hot and really cold and don't want to have to worry about the temperature of the water not being comfortable when I know I can have severe temperature changes. I decided to use a midwife because I want someone who won't be in such a rush to intervene unnecessarily and allow the process to happen naturally as along as it is safe for the baby.

Glad to meet you all!
Totally unsolicited advice, so feel free to ignore.

Tell your partner that girls can do jumpshots too.

Take What to expect.... and THROW IT OUT. Ok, fine, recycle it. Or take it back for a refund, if you can. It really should have been titled "all the ways your pregnancy can go wrong, but probably won't."

DO NOT tell potential employers you are expecting until they have offered you a job. In writing. If you're so lucky as to be going into a unionized position, or something with clear policies, tell them at the latest date stipulated in your contract. I say that because I am in the middle getting completely worked over by my current employer, and I'm hoping to get a job back with my last employer, and I am so not telling them until after I've been offered the job.

Lots of sympathy on the job front. The advice I was given was to make really darned sure that you have practiced your answer to the "And why do you want to leave your current position?" Under no circumstances, I was told, do I want to accidentally blurt out "because I'm pregnant and they're screwing with my parental leave..." You want that answer rehearsed, you want it honest, but you don't want it to say anything about not wanting to travel any more for family reasons, or wanting to stay home to start a family, etc. Instead, you want to redirect the question to why you want this job. Remember, losers run from, winners run to. Talk about how you want to grow your career, or in your case, stay with a company long enough to see the results of your work, or something like that.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#78 of 135 Old 04-14-2010, 11:39 PM

Virgo- Welcome and congrats!!!

I second FtMPapa go return that What to Expect from wence it came! Ive checked out EVERY pregnancy book from the library(from super crunchy to super OB hosptial slanted.) The ones I keep going back to are one called Pregnancy Week by Week, the one Mothering put out, and oddly enough YOU! Having a baby(but maybe that is because a friend spilled wine on it and I had to then buy it from the library!)

Im also planning a natural birth and will be the first one of my friends and family to do so. Read some Ina May Gaskin, watch The Business of Being Born and read/watch as many natural birth stories as you can because every single one of your friends is going to tell you that you are crazy for even thinking about not having an epidural. If you make the choice to go try to go natural just arm yourself with knowledge.

As for mothers and MIL, now is the time to start setting boundaries, because once you actually have your baby they are going to cross them a lot if you just smile and let things that annoy you go. Perhaps discuss with your husband and let him be the go between, if you need your MIL to stop whatever she is doing he should be the one to tell her in my experiance it is easier to hear from your own child than their spouse.
I know its hard but think of it as good practice for when you have a teenager!

My sister has never set boundaries with my mom and the things that my sister deals with I think could have been prevented if my sister had started laying down the law before my neice was born.
#79 of 135 Old 04-15-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Totally unsolicited advice, so feel free to ignore.

Tell your partner that girls can do jumpshots too.

Take What to expect.... and THROW IT OUT. Ok, fine, recycle it. Or take it back for a refund, if you can. It really should have been titled "all the ways your pregnancy can go wrong, but probably won't."

DO NOT tell potential employers you are expecting until they have offered you a job. In writing. If you're so lucky as to be going into a unionized position, or something with clear policies, tell them at the latest date stipulated in your contract. I say that because I am in the middle getting completely worked over by my current employer, and I'm hoping to get a job back with my last employer, and I am so not telling them until after I've been offered the job.

Lots of sympathy on the job front. The advice I was given was to make really darned sure that you have practiced your answer to the "And why do you want to leave your current position?" Under no circumstances, I was told, do I want to accidentally blurt out "because I'm pregnant and they're screwing with my parental leave..." You want that answer rehearsed, you want it honest, but you don't want it to say anything about not wanting to travel any more for family reasons, or wanting to stay home to start a family, etc. Instead, you want to redirect the question to why you want this job. Remember, losers run from, winners run to. Talk about how you want to grow your career, or in your case, stay with a company long enough to see the results of your work, or something like that.
Thanks for the advice!!!

He of all people should know it could be a girl as he coaches girls basketball (and loves it) and is a private trainer to a really good player in the WNBA... lol. He is one of 5 boys though and he and his brothers are so close I think they would all love a little boy to join threir crew.

Thanks for the advice on the book... I haven't read much of it yet but it does seem to focus a lot on all the things that can go wrong. I hope to make it to the library or bookstore this weekend to find a few natural childbirth books.

I love your answer for the inevitable interview question! I have an interview coming up in a few weeks so that is perfect!

#80 of 135 Old 04-15-2010, 01:25 AM

Pineapple Head - Thank you for the book recommendations! I will check those out for sure! My friends think I'm crazy too for wanting to go without an epidural so I've decided not to talk about it anymore so I don't have to hear anything negative. I'm so surprised that people have such strong feelings about not having it to be honest. Thanks for the MIL advice as well. I let her have it pretty good a few weeks ago (which is SO not like me) but I think it was the hormones that got the best of me. Maybe that wasn't such a bad thing.

#81 of 135 Old 04-15-2010, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBird View Post
Thread crashing...may I for just for one post? I just want to scream CONGRATULATIONS to you all. There are no words for how exciting a first pregnancy, birth and parenthood experience are. I'm getting goosebumps and a bit weepy thinking back.
Me too! This is the most fun thread to stalk because it's so exciting (and because there are a few former "bitter sushi ladies" here, which makes me happy )!

And I have to throw in a tidbit on the book front. It's not a newborn book, but it has been SO helpful for me in the actual "raising a nice kid" (who does not run around and scream in restaurants...yet) arena. It has been my favorite and most helpful parenting book (and was given to me by a neighbor whose children I LOVE). It's called "Becoming the Parent You Want To Be." I read it while I was breastfeeding my newborn dd (and then ran out of time to read it again once my dd turned 1 and started acting like she was 2, so I was glad I'd read it early!)

Congrats again everyone

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

#82 of 135 Old 04-15-2010, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Carlyle- thanks for the book recommendation and the congrats! My DW loves reading parenting books so I'm going to pick that up!

So I had my first interesting experience with the MIL and BIL this weekend regarding us planning a homebirth. MIL and BIL and his wife and toddler came over for DW's birthday on Sunday. BIL and his wife started asking all kinds of questions about what doctor we see, etc. So we told them about midwives and planning a homebirth. DW's mom mostly speaks Spanish so it took her a little bit to catch up to what we were meaning. She said "Oh, so the doctor comes here?" I told her about midwives, but that there wouldn't be a doctor. She literally started making the sign of the cross praying and freaking out! DW and I actually started laughing. Mean, I know, but it was such a dramatic response! BIL just said "Homebirth? What does that mean?" We told him and he said "But where would you have the baby? In the living room?" Uh, sure, if I feel like it. Then SIL piped in with the story of her mom birthing 9 babies all at home in the Philippines. She was supportive. I'm just glad we're so strong in our convictions and really don't care what anyone else thinks about it, even MIL, who we both have a very good relationship with. She's actually the only person in our life that is concerned, but I think her concern is more that in her village in Mexico, only poor people have babies at home. It's a sign of status if you can go to the hospital, so she doesn't get why we want to be "backwards"

#83 of 135 Old 04-15-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchgrrl View Post

DW's mom mostly speaks Spanish so it took her a little bit to catch up to what we were meaning. She said "Oh, so the doctor comes here?" I told her about midwives, but that there wouldn't be a doctor. She literally started making the sign of the cross praying and freaking out!
That sounds like a scene out of a really funny movie!

#84 of 135 Old 04-19-2010, 11:05 PM

Just thought Id check in with the first timers...

Anyone have any news on the movement front? I might be feeling something sometimes but nothing consistant. Im 16 weeks now so it has to be soon!!!

Anyone getting any child raising advice yet? We just got some about sleep training from 3 months on...I think Im going to just let people give all their advice and not say anything about my attachment parenting slant. One reason is I dont want to sound like a know it all.

Anyone have a stranger notice your expecting? I still havent but cant wait for the day someone offers me their seat on the bus!

Whats everyone craving? I thought it was a myth but dang pickles are good! Also English crumpets with every hole filled with butter and then almond butter AND peanut butter on them. I could eat about 6 of those in one sitting. mmmmm. Oh and oranges...I have to have at least one a day!
#85 of 135 Old 04-19-2010, 11:49 PM

Anyone have any news on the movement front?
I'm almost 15 weeks and I am positive I can feel flutters sometimes.

Anyone getting any child raising advice yet?
Nope.

Anyone have a stranger notice your expecting?
No one has said anything but I think it's pretty obvious that I am now.

Whats everyone craving?
Yogurt, milk and apples.
#86 of 135 Old 04-20-2010, 12:11 AM

16w today, and nothing I'm sure is movement. I maybe might have felt something, but I'm not sure.

My mother will. not. stop.

And she has no clue what she's talking about. She keeps lecturing me about which solids the kid needs to start with, and I'm like "You do know the baby is inside for another six months and not starting solids for at least six months after that, so I've got a year to stock up on avocado, right?"

Nope. Pineapple head - don't hold your breath for the seat offer! I am astonished by people's rudeness about that.

Whats everyone craving?
I'm with you two on the oranges and apples, I eat one of each every day, at least.

#87 of 135 Old 04-20-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:

Nope. Pineapple head - don't hold your breath for the seat offer! I am astonished by people's rudeness about that.
Thread crashing for a moment (sorry )....but I just had to chime in and agree with this. I STOOD for 2 hours the other day, coming home from Seoul, next to the "mothers with small children, pregnant mothers, and elderly/infirm" seating, which was populated with 4 business men, none of whom fit the requirements for the seats. I held my 2 year old daughter in her Ergo the entire time. People are INCREDIBLY rude about giving up their seats here.

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#88 of 135 Old 04-20-2010, 10:58 AM

Sorry I've been sort of out of the loop lately! It's been a busy spring so far. I hope everyone's doing wonderfully!

16w4d, and nothing I'm sure about yet. I'm really really hoping it will be soon! The nervous Nelly side of me just wants another "hi mom, I'm totally fine in here!" sign while I wait another week and a half for my anatomy scan.

Hm, no child raising advice yet, but I am getting a whole lot of unsolicited advice about being pregnant, what labor will be like, etc. I just smile and nod and make sure I've got my "bubble of peace" up when that happens (I'm doing hypnobabies).

(papa, lol @ your mom w/ the advice about solids. Yes, WAY early! Hehe...

For the first time yesterday! I was waiting for the elevator in my building, and this random woman told me I looked great and asked when I was due (of course, she looked rather surprised when I told her not until early fall... I'm still looking a little bigger than I "should" at this point, I guess). Whatever! I loved being recognized as a pregnant person!

Whats everyone craving?
Honestly, I haven't been craving much else besides local summer produce. I can't wait for Jersey veggies!!!

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#89 of 135 Old 04-20-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Nope. I'm only 13 weeks.

Not too much. Like Lyndzies said, it's mainly about pregnancy and birth. But BIL did ask if we were getting a baby jail (his words), meaning a crib. We said no and he was happy about that. But if we said we were all about the cribs he probably would have given his advice about that.

Anyone have a stranger notice you're expecting?
Nope. Not at all. I don't expect it yet, though.

What's everyone craving?
Mexican food. Before pregnancy I couldn't tolerate spicy food at all. Ever. Now I want it spicy all the time.

#90 of 135 Old 04-20-2010, 01:38 PM

Other than a few random taps, which may or may not have been anything, I would say I have a generally unsettled feeling in my uterus. I'm not feeling definite flutters or kicks, but I am sure there's something going on in there.

No, not yet. We still have only told close family and friends, so people are still being secretive about it (just the way I like it!). I had a good talk with my SIL about pregnancy and baby-raising. I think we were both pleasantly surprised by how AP the other one is. It's going to be awesome having her as a resource.

Anyone have a stranger notice you're expecting?
No. I'm only just starting to get a gut, and being so tall I can hide it really well as long as I'm not wearing tight shirts. A few non-strangers have been asking if I'm pregnant behind my back only because I'm not drinking any alcohol.

What's everyone craving?
Apples with peanut butter, cheese, orange juice, and pizza. Unfortunately I'm able to tolerate sugar again, so ice cream has been going down well also. I am happy to report I haven't touched a box of Kraft mac & cheese in the last four weeks.

9/2011 items decluttered

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page