First time parents thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 01:06 PM
 
Pineapple Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Had my 2nd ultrasound yesterday...had the best tech ever. In general I've always been really into things like US, xrays, MRIS etc seeing inside the body is amazing so I asked her how I would become one...I think this made her feel comfortable with me and after the first ten minutes she turned the monitor so I could see everything and explained how and what everything was. It was so awesome. I saw the 4 valves of the heart and she showed me how the images then have to be overlapped to get the proper picture because one is always backwards. We talked about the orbits and how in babies with Downs Syndrome the eye sockets are wide set and the nose bone isn't there. It was really fascinating.
I also am going to bet that I'm having a girl based on the lack of tackle I saw during the butt shots and the fact that I what I saw looks like other images I have seen of girl parts...but were not finding out officially so things could have been hidden!

Also still measuring a bit bigger...was 19w3d yesterday and measuring 20w2d which isn't a bit deal. Probably just means I got pregnant the second I could during that cycle!
Pineapple Head is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-12-2010, 11:29 PM
 
Pineapple Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another new development....started leaking...eek!
Pineapple Head is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 08:19 PM
 
virgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like you had a really great ultrasound Pineapple Head! I hope mine goes well too! 3 weeks from today! Oh the torture!

*** 5 **** 10 **** 15 **** 20 **** 25 **** 30 **** 35 * * * 40
virgo is offline  
Old 05-15-2010, 12:27 AM
 
macy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Head View Post
Another new development....started leaking...eek!
i leaked a lot in my sleep earlier this week. i was surprised at how much came out. i'm just glad it didn't stain the shirt i was wearing.
macy is offline  
Old 05-15-2010, 02:28 AM
 
outlier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: far from average
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macy View Post
i leaked a lot in my sleep earlier this week. i was surprised at how much came out. i'm just glad it didn't stain the shirt i was wearing.
I don't think it's staining my shirts either, which is a relief. One of my bras is stained on the inside now though, I guess because the material is so different? Oh well.

9/2011 items decluttered
outlier is offline  
Old 05-16-2010, 12:28 PM
 
macy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure I keep seeing the baby sleeping at the top of my uterus near my belly button. I notice a hard round bump there sometimes but not always and it kind of creeps me out because from the little kicks and punches I feel I wasn't picture such a big baby already. When it's moving into that position I feel like my abdomen could just burst open at any time. Does anyone else ever feel like this?
macy is offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
 
Monarchgrrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just bumping this back up. How's everyone doing?

I barely feel movement. Just flutters every so often. Maybe a poke once? I want to feel more. Hopefully soon.

I've been dealing with pain. I thought it was SPD but it turns out that my uterine ligaments are loose and all my pubic muscles were overcompensating and all cramped up. I had them worked on and released by a chiropractor and it's helped a lot. I could barely walk for about a week. She said as I get bigger it'll go away completely. Yay! But I do have to wear the belly support belt already. Sheesh!

I'm behind most of you in dates so we won't get the anatomy scan until June 10. We're really excited. I'm not worried about the health of the baby. What will be will be. We're really excited to find out the sex.

How's it going with everyone else?

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

Monarchgrrl is offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 06:23 PM
 
Melly24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macy View Post
I'm pretty sure I keep seeing the baby sleeping at the top of my uterus near my belly button. I notice a hard round bump there sometimes but not always and it kind of creeps me out because from the little kicks and punches I feel I wasn't picture such a big baby already. When it's moving into that position I feel like my abdomen could just burst open at any time. Does anyone else ever feel like this?
Thread crashing....

I get this! Mostly when I wake in the morning. It's as high as it can possibly get and it feels like it's trying to burst out the top..it's quite uncomfortable. I gently push the wee thing down...

I just love reading this thread. Hope you all don't mind! It brings back so many lovely memories of DD's pregnancy

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

Melly24 is offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 11:05 PM
 
macy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchgrrl View Post
Just bumping this back up. How's everyone doing?

I barely feel movement. Just flutters every so often. Maybe a poke once? I want to feel more. Hopefully soon.

I've been dealing with pain. I thought it was SPD but it turns out that my uterine ligaments are loose and all my pubic muscles were overcompensating and all cramped up. I had them worked on and released by a chiropractor and it's helped a lot. I could barely walk for about a week. She said as I get bigger it'll go away completely. Yay! But I do have to wear the belly support belt already. Sheesh!

I'm behind most of you in dates so we won't get the anatomy scan until June 10. We're really excited. I'm not worried about the health of the baby. What will be will be. We're really excited to find out the sex.
Sorry you are in pain! Are you hoping for a boy or a girl or do you just want to know? I was hoping for a girl and I found out I'm having a girl! I'm sure I would have been just as happy to have a boy but I'm really excited to be having a girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchgrrl View Post
How's it going with everyone else?
I'm doing really well right now. I'm getting enough sleep, I can eat without feeling sick and nothing hurts, so I'm enjoying this trimester while it lasts. My weight is supposedly where it should be yet I feel HUGE but that's ok.

For my next doctor's appointment my doctor wants me to have pediatrician picked out, so I am starting to research the pediatricians in the area. My doctor will show me around the maternity ward at that appointment, and I'm really excited to see where I'll be giving birth. I've read only positive things about this particular hospital and this doctor so I'm feeling pretty good about it and excited to take the child birth, infant care and breastfeeding classes at the hospital later this summer. :-)

I also started setting up baby's room, which is really just a corner of our bedroom for now. I feel like I could stare at the bassinet for hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melly24 View Post
Thread crashing....

I get this! Mostly when I wake in the morning. It's as high as it can possibly get and it feels like it's trying to burst out the top..it's quite uncomfortable. I gently push the wee thing down...

I just love reading this thread. Hope you all don't mind! It brings back so many lovely memories of DD's pregnancy
I get it more in the morning too. I am guessing she is trying to escape my full bladder. It's amazing to me how much room they have to move around in.
macy is offline  
Old 06-02-2010, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
 
Monarchgrrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macy View Post
Sorry you are in pain! Are you hoping for a boy or a girl or do you just want to know? I was hoping for a girl and I found out I'm having a girl! I'm sure I would have been just as happy to have a boy but I'm really excited to be having a girl.


I've read only positive things about this particular hospital and this doctor so I'm feeling pretty good about it and excited to take the child birth, infant care and breastfeeding classes at the hospital later this summer. :-)

I also started setting up baby's room, which is really just a corner of our bedroom for now. I feel like I could stare at the bassinet for hours.

We just want to know the sex. No real reason. We won't do anything differently. I've always wanted a girl, so I really think this one is a boy. I actually had a dream last night that we found out it was a girl and I was really sad about not having a boy. I think I've just convinced myself that it's a boy (and I'm excited about it!) that I would be a tad sad if it wasn't. It doesn't matter to us, though.

That's so great that you're excited about the hospital and doctor! I'm excited to start our childbirth class too. We're taking a class geared only towards homebirth, so that should be interesting. We're interviewing our first doula in two weeks. She came highly recommended by our midwives so we're excited to meet her.

Awww a bassinet. I bet that's fun to look at! We just moved last weekend so there's been no buying or decorating yet. I'm excited to start purchasing diapers and stuff.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

Monarchgrrl is offline  
Old 06-02-2010, 11:51 PM
 
Choaners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm right along with you monarchgrrl. later than others. my scan is also on june 10! flutters maybe, mostly like weird 'motion' down there, like a little animal is trying to get comfortable. for me, it just feels strange, but it's so intermittent, i can't tell if it really is or isn't the baby, yet i'm sure it is. lots of ligament discomfort too, ugh.

about 10 days ago i really popped. i actually look pregnant now and that is super fun. a few people have actually guessed i'm pregnant rather than just gaining some weight.

i had a really disturbing dream a few nights ago that i was miscarrying. i was so deeply sad. so strange because before this i wasn't worried about much of anything. i wonder why our brains do such strange things to us? i refuse to believe in premonition.

joy.gifhappy wife to dh and loving mom to dd (1yr) with another little one on the way in July!!

Choaners is offline  
Old 06-03-2010, 11:21 AM
 
SouthernBette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey everyone! I haven't checked in on this thread in a long time.

Being a first time parent, I think often about this little baby girl inside of me. I can't fathom what it will be like to meet the literal, physical manifestation of this abstract kicking concept inside of me. It just overwhelms me when I think about her. Also, I know it sounds trite, but I do already love her so much. Sometimes I get teary-eyed just worrying about something happening to her in the future. Isn't that ridiculous and irrational? I won't let any suspicious people come near me for fear of them harming her. Don't get me wrong--I haven't gone off the deep end...yet! It is just that I have a protective nature already, and now, with her growing inside of me, I feel that I would do anything to keep her out of harm.

Also, my friends are steadily changing. I find that I have little in common with my nonparent friends now. DH and I still see them from time to time, but they are focused (like we once were) on weekend drinking plans, and their lack of interest in my baby just makes our relationship pretty shallow. Is it asking too much that I expect good friends to want to know about our baby? Maybe so. I try not to take it personally because I know I did this to people in the past. Instead, I just focus on the people in my life who I do connect with on a parenting level--people who want to know about this baby. It is amazing how fast things have changed.

I look at the photographs from New Year's Eve--I got pregnant roughly 8 days later--and I look so naive and happy. I laugh thinking that DH and I had no idea what was in store for us for 2010. I feel like the luckiest woman alive with this girl attached to me.

I'm a professor and a domestic goddess married to my ideal mate. We are living in bliss with our new baby girl, Rowan Graham, born October 8, 2010.
SouthernBette is offline  
Old 10-05-2010, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
 
Monarchgrrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just bumping this thread up to see how everyone is doing, with the births coming so soon...or already done! How's everyone feeling?

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

Monarchgrrl is offline  
Old 10-05-2010, 05:01 PM
 
miso_soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great idea to revive this thread!

How am I feeling? In a word: OVERWHELMED! I am the classic, neurotic first time mama: is he sleeping enough? is he sleeping too much? am I feeding him enough? is he pooping enough? is his poop the right color? why does he always make that noise, is he choking? is he spitting up too much? maybe he's allergic to dairy, should I stop drinking milk? is he happy? is he warm enough? is he too warm? shall I check his temperature again for the 8th time today? and so on and so on, ad nauseum

I'm not the only one... am I?

Catherine, DH and DS kid.gif Dylan Michael, born 9/23/10 
miso_soup is offline  
Old 10-05-2010, 06:19 PM
 
MaybeJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miso_soup View Post
Great idea to revive this thread!

How am I feeling? In a word: OVERWHELMED! I am the classic, neurotic first time mama: is he sleeping enough? is he sleeping too much? am I feeding him enough? is he pooping enough? is his poop the right color? why does he always make that noise, is he choking? is he spitting up too much? maybe he's allergic to dairy, should I stop drinking milk? is he happy? is he warm enough? is he too warm? shall I check his temperature again for the 8th time today? and so on and so on, ad nauseum

I'm not the only one... am I?
No! I'm right there with you, plus I'm really feeling the sleep deprivation (why can I not nap during the day???) and a mean case of the post partum baby blues. I'm looking forward to connecting with other first time moms. I've been reading the post partum chat in the September due date club and it's great to get advice from those who have been here, but it's also nice to know that I'm not alone in feeling the way I do as a first time mom.
MaybeJ is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off