First time parents thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 135 Old 03-25-2010, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I think there are a few of us in this DDC and I thought it'd be nice to talk together as we go through this for the first time. So...wanna talk?

What are you looking forward to in pregnancy the most?

Do you have any fears of being a parent?

Are you buying any parenting books?

I think I'm most looking forward in pregnancy to being able to have DW feel the baby kick. She, of course, is trying not to feel left out so I think that will be neat.

I don't have huge fears of being a parent. Maybe just the idea of raising a human being. It's just going to be such a change. We're so used to doing whatever we want, whenever we want. I think DW is a little more scared. She's going to quit working and stay at home which will, in and of itself, be such a huge change! The idea of quitting her career of 13 years is scary for her.

DW is all about the books. We've bought an attachment parenting book (forgot the name) and Dr. Sears Baby Book.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#2 of 135 Old 03-25-2010, 04:44 PM

Great idea! I've been feeling a little left out in some ways in this DDC because I think there are a lot of mamas who have already experienced this before and know what to expect.

... actually, I just did a rough count, and there are about 134 mamas on the roster, but only 27 who are expecting #1! So I'm not crazy, only 20% or so of us are doing this for the first time. Lol.

To answer your questions:

I think I am just really looking forward to watching my body and mental state change before my eyes. I already feel more like a "grown up" than I ever have, but not in an "ugh! I'm getting old" way; rather, in a "I'm already gaining a lot of wisdom and learning how to be calm" way. Does that make any sense whatsoever?

Also, I'm really excited about others' (family, friends) excitement, and the positive energy people seem to exude when they're around me now that they know I'm pregnant. I've noticed that all the good vibes are certainly a great pick-me-up when I'm feeling especially tired or hormonal or "woe is me." Lol.

Honestly? Not really. Which is surprising, because I feel like there are some ways in which my parents really didn't make the best decisions and I always figured I'd have to fight not to be doomed to repeat them. But since becoming pregnant I've also become much more go-with-the flow (strange since I'm really very "type A" most of the time) and most of my fears have subsided.

Of course I have some logistic fears about having a newborn, such as: will I get a sleeper or a crier?, will I have trouble breastfeeding? what is it going to be like having to leave my LO after only 6-8 weeks to return to work? will DP's mom really be up to the challenge of providing full-time daycare in the first year? (she's offered, but I remain skeptical).

I haven't bought any books that are specifically focused on parenting, although one comprehensive pregnancy/birth/parenting book I've been reading "From the Hips" covers some stuff near the end. I'm also currently reading "Your Best Birth." I guess I'm waiting to read up as much as I can about birth and to start my Hypnobabies, and then I'll delve into the huge (controversial) world of "learning" to be a good parent. I'm thinking a lot of it will be on-the-job training, but of course I do want to be prepared (especially) for some of the early stuff that I just wouldn't know otherwise without experiencing.

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#3 of 135 Old 03-25-2010, 05:00 PM

Ooh, count me in.

I'm on a deadline, and my printer just broke, so no time to chat, stuff to do! But I'll check in later/tomorrow.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#4 of 135 Old 03-25-2010, 05:17 PM

-Feeling the baby and seeing the baby on ultrasounds - anything that will make this feel more real.
-Reading/talking/singing to the baby once it is old enough to hear.
-Wearing maternity shirts and looking pregnant instead of bloated.
-Getting past this first trimester and be able to eat normally again!
-Telling everyone I know in a few weeks.
-Finding out the sex.
-Buying diapers.

I don't have any specific fears about being a parent but I do worry about how taking time off from work will affect my career and where I'll be in 10 or 20 years.

I've been getting parenting books from the library for years and I think I'm all parenting booked-out for the moment. Out of habit I picked up another parenting book from the library a few weeks ago and I didn't even end up opening it. I'll be getting books on labor and delivery from the library next time I'm there because I'm pretty clueless about childbirth.
#5 of 135 Old 03-25-2010, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

YAY! I'm glad others want to join this thread. I always get so nervous starting new threads. Not sure why.

Lyndzies- Thanks for figuring out the stats in this DDC. Interesting...

I totally get what you mean about gaining wisdom and feeling more "grown up". That's a good way to put it. I feel the same. I feel like all of these physical and emotional changes are changing me into a better person.

I feel like the "pregnancy club" and soon to be, the "baby club" has always been this other group that I've always wanted to be a part of but I never really understood what they were talking about and now I know what it's like, at least the beginning of pregnancy club. I find myself thinking a lot "Oh that's what they were talking about. I get it now." And I know that's just going to happen more and more, pretty much forever now.

I also wonder about what type of baby we'll have. I'm really excited to find out. And I worry about going back to work after 12 weeks.

macy- I'm with you on being excited about maternity clothes and looking pregnant. I really can't wait for that! I know I'll be uncomfortable but I can't wait to be huge! I can't wear my jeans anymore and today (at work) I'm in yoga pants. I'll be buying some maternity jeans this weekend. I'm also really excited to buy cloth diapers. I think I'm just going to buy one in a few different brands/styles and see what I like best and then stock up. I think we're mainly going to do prefolds w/ covers for awhile and there are some CUTE covers out there.

Anyone else have any group questions?

My complaint for the week:
I've been really struggling with hypoglycemia. I've had very serious bouts of this since I was 11. I've passed out so many times I can't count. It's been a few years now since I have, though. I really have to watch how often I eat and try to get something in me about every hour or two. I always have to have emergency OJ in the fridge. I'm SO thankful that (so far) I'm not really nauseated and haven't had much food aversions since becoming pregnant. I'm not sure what would happen if I didn't want to/couldn't eat. Anyway, it's gotten so much worse in pregnancy. My midwife is hypoglycemic too so she understands and said that my body is just using all my glucose like crazy trying to make this baby. It's really annoying and bothersome, though. I have a great eating habit at work but on the weekends I just don't stay as vigilant about it. If I go about 1.5 hours without protein or some food then I get all shaky and feel the beginning stages of almost passing out. Not sure if any of you have felt that before but it SUCKS and then you can't eat and it takes quite a while to feel normal again. It happened again today after my shower. I had to run to get OJ from the kitchen. I should have had some before my shower. Thanks for letting me vent.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#6 of 135 Old 03-25-2010, 08:13 PM

Monarchgrrl: This is a great idea! I've noticed, too, that there aren't a lot of first-time parents here.

I think I'm just overwhelmed by the options our generation has for raising our children. We want to practice attachment parenting, too, but beyond that, there are so many things to think about. My good friend--who is also a member here and nearly 20 wks pregnant--just told me about elimination communication today. It is blowing my mind! I just feel so overwhelmed and underprepared.

That being said, DH and I are thrilled. He is a lovely man, and I look forward to raising our baby together. I can't wait to get a nice belly this summer, and I am super excited about having a baby during the holidays this Winter.

I'm a professor and a domestic goddess married to my ideal mate. We are living in bliss with our new baby girl, Rowan Graham, born October 8, 2010.
#7 of 135 Old 03-25-2010, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thread crashing...may I for just for one post? I just want to scream CONGRATULATIONS to you all. There are no words for how exciting a first pregnancy, birth and parenthood experience are. I'm getting goosebumps and a bit weepy thinking back. I'm the type of suck who wants to go up to every pregnant woman I see and ask if it's her first. Of course I don't, but if I did and they said yes, I'd jump for joy and tell them what amazing mind-blowing life-altering adventures await them. The second time around is special too in its own way but nothing compares to that element of the unknown and discovery that comes with doing something SO HUGE for the very first time.

Great big bear hugs to you all. I'm so happy that you are on this incredible journey.

PS If you're feeling miserable and thinking that it all sucks and what the heck am I going on about (me, the chick who spent 5 days in the hospital for uncontrollable vomiting!) - don't worry, it might not get better any time soon but it's all rosy in hindsight, I promise!

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#8 of 135 Old 03-25-2010, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

SouthernBette- I hear you on all the options. My mind was blown when I first ventured into MDC territory! Even seeing all the toys out there compared to when I was a kid...uh...

JessieBird- Awww, thanks for the love! I'm getting all misty-eyed. I don't think first time parents (especially while pregnant) get to hear enough about how wonderful and life-altering being a parent is. Thanks for saying that! And thank you for thread-crashing! Anytime!

#9 of 135 Old 03-25-2010, 09:18 PM

Hello fellow first-timers! Great thread!

I also want to feel kicks. Can't wait! We've only told close friends and family about the pregnancy so far, and now I'm looking forward to the time when everyone knows and hearing what advice or comments people have for me. It seems from what I've read on MDC that most expectant moms hate the unsolicited advice and comments, but I honestly can't wait. I used to study psychology, and I find this opportunity to interact with strangers when they apparently turn off their normal mouth filters fascinating. At the very least I should end up with some funny stories to tell!

No, not really. Dh and I are pretty laid back and will take the challenges as they come. As a rule I don't let myself worry about something unless I have a good reason to.

I haven't decided yet. Next time I'm in a big bookstore I'd like to skim through Dr. Sears' The Baby Book and maybe the No Cry Sleep Solution. I feel like I've learned so much just from these forums that I really have no urge to run out and buy any books yet.

9/2011 items decluttered
#10 of 135 Old 03-25-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier View Post
It seems from what I've read on MDC that most expectant moms hate the unsolicited advice and comments, but I honestly can't wait. I used to study psychology, and I find this opportunity to interact with strangers when they apparently turn off their normal mouth filters fascinating. At the very least I should end up with some funny stories to tell!
I agree!
#11 of 135 Old 03-25-2010, 09:52 PM

What are you looking forward to in pregnancy the most? Probably getting to feel the baby kick...I think that will be totally wild and paradigm shifting. Like there's actually a PERSON in there and this is actually happening.

Do you have any fears of being a parent? I don't worry about actual parenting, but I do worry about the baby being born with health problems. I know it's silly to worry about but I can't help it.

Are you buying any parenting books? Not yet! I probably will later though.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#12 of 135 Old 03-25-2010, 11:20 PM

I have a feeling I'm going to this thread.

I gots a question for ya'll:

Have you decided what kind of birth you'd like to have? If so, what kind of birth, and how did you reach that decision, having never gone through the experience before?

I am hoping to have a midwife deliver our baby in a hospital birth center, shooting for a waterbirth (the center has a birthing tub), and using Hypnobabies.

We arrived at this decision because I've always had the urge to have the most natural birth possible from a lot of reading and of course my interactions and lurking here at MDC.... however, DP is not comfortable with me giving birth at home for a host of reasons, and there are no freestanding birth centers in our state... and we feel we need to stay in NJ so that our civil union is recognized throughout the process.

Hypnobabies seems in tune w/ the way I'd like to be able to manage pain, and was also recommended (and lent!) to me by an old friend.

It's weird to have most all the women IRL who are close to me and are mothers know nothing beyond the "typical" hospital birth, and kind of see them look at me sideways when I say I'm using a midwife and want a natural waterbirth. That part has been hard. I could use the support of those IRL mamas... not that I don't have it, but they don't exactly support me because of their own experiences, which would be nice. A lot of times I get a sort of snarky "no epi? Haha... well, good luck with that. Let me know when you give in" etc. Kind of frustrating.

So I rely on the lovely ladies here.

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#13 of 135 Old 03-25-2010, 11:29 PM

What are you looking forward to in pregnancy the most? I think feeling the baby move will be pretty amazing. Even though Ive seen ultrasound pics it still seems unreal that there could possibly be a real human growing in there! Then playing music to him/her and seeing how my belly moves.

Do you have any fears of being a parent? The only thing I fear is repeating my own mothers many mistakes. But I think acknowleding that fear makes the chances of that happening very slim.

Are you buying any parenting books?Ive taken pretty much every one of them out of the library! I might buy one if I really feel I need to have it.
#14 of 135 Old 03-25-2010, 11:39 PM

Have you decided what kind of birth you'd like to have? If so, what kind of birth, and how did you reach that decision, having never gone through the experience before?

I'll give birth in a hospital and I want an epidural because I am a wimp. Oddly enough I think I'll feel more in control of the situation in a typical hospital birth than I would elsewhere.

This thread is getting me more excited. For a while I was just pre-occupied with feeling sick and I was forgetting there is a baby in there. It's fun to hear from other first time "moms".
#15 of 135 Old 03-26-2010, 11:17 AM

I just have to say that I LOVE this thread! I can't believe theres so few of us first timers here! I'm guessing it's because a lot of first time moms just go the traditional route, I know all my friends did. I don't have a single baby wearing, midwife using, natural birthing, attachment parenting mama in my circle! Its nice to have found a group of women who are like minded. I feel like Im this weird hybrid of crunchy hippy and hip city mama so I really don't have a tribe that I click with in real life.

I'm going the midwife homebirth route and plan on using Hypnobabies. I'm looking into renting a birth pool but don't know if it would work in our house. I decided that I wanted a homebirth after watching my sister be induced because "she was too short and her baby too big." by an a-hole of an OB who told her to just schedule a Csection because it would be a lot easier, increased her pit every 30 min until she needed an epidural because the pain was so bad and then of course the babys heart rate dropped and they told her she needed a c section or else the baby would die. My neices birth sent me into hyper research mode and that's how I ended up armed to the ears with statistics and medical journal studies and real life accounts, which I know I'm going to end up using because I've already gotten the "You are crazy for not going to the hospital so much can go wrong and what are you going to do for the pain?!!?" from two friends and my MIL. I love my friends and MIL but I am confident in my choices and in my ability to manage pain. I've had a spinal tap so even if I was in a hospital I would not be getting an epidural because there is no way I'm letting another needle come near my spine!
#16 of 135 Old 03-26-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndzies View Post
What I really wanted was to go to a birthing center staffed by midwives. We used to live in northern Virginia and I had one all picked out and everything. But then we moved to the freakin' middle of Pennsylvania and there's no such thing around here.

I love the idea of a homebirth, but in reality it makes me a little nervous. I've never done this before, I don't know what my body is doing, what its propensities are, etc. Also homebirthing midwives are pretty scarce around here anyway. So I decided not to beat myself up about it and just go with a hospital birth. I'm definitely going to try to do it as naturally as possible though, no medicines, etc. I've only had one doctor's appointment so far but they seem pretty easy going. Didn't bat an eye when I declined getting a pap smear and advised me that I should breastfeed.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#17 of 135 Old 03-26-2010, 12:28 PM

Hello,
first-timer here! i'm most looking forward to showing and feeling the baby move. we had our first prenatal visit with the midwife yesterday and heard the heart beat. i cried. there's a person in there! suddenly, i'm less sick today. i told my husband, i don't know if the nausea makes me feel nervous, or i'm nervous so i feel nauseated. suddenly, hearing that little heart, i'm more calm. reassured. nausea=anxiety. feeling movement will be WONDERFUL!

i'm a doc, a surgeon at that, and i'm going au natural with a midwife in a birthing center. i always thought i'd have a midwife b/c birth is a normal human function, not a disease process; but once i found out i was pregnant i freaked out and scheduled with an ob/gyn. then i calmed, spoke with a friend who is 8 wks ahead of me and she gave me Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth. It is a great book and has given me lots of confidence about the process. I recommend it to anyone considering natural childbirth, and even if not, it's an empowering read. No matter what way we choose to deliver I think going into it trusting yourself and your baby to get it done will add so much to the experience.

excited for this thread!

-sara

joy.gifhappy wife to dh and loving mom to dd (1yr) with another little one on the way in July!!

#18 of 135 Old 03-26-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Head View Post
I can't believe theres so few of us first timers here! I'm guessing it's because a lot of first time moms just go the traditional route, I know all my friends did.
I think you're on to something there. I had never heard of MDC before and consider myself very lucky that it happened to show up in a random Google search one day when I was researching something.

After all the reading I've done on MDC, I would not be opposed to the thought of trying a homebirth someday, but my dh is. Since this is our first, I've agreed to go with a midwife in a hospital setting. The nice thing is the midwives at this hospital have their own birthing suites to use (complete with real beds, large bathrooms, and a labor pool), so it's not like I'll be in a typical hospital room surrounded by OBs who keep poking their heads in to see if their services are "needed." They have their own policies they follow, including delayed cord cutting and no episiotomies, yay! If an emergency comes up or I decide I need to have an epidural, everything I would need is right there in the same building.

It's been fun talking about my plans with some of my childless-but-wanting female friends. Several of them have been shocked that these options were even available to pregnant women. One told me she had no idea you would be allowed to refuse ultrasounds. I feel like I'm starting a mini revolution.

9/2011 items decluttered
#19 of 135 Old 03-26-2010, 12:52 PM

Monarchgrrl- Thanks for starting this thread! Great idea! Glad I am not the only one who feels a little overwhelmed by the amount of information out there!

I did, however, run across something that looks very cool for CD: It's a trial package so you can decide what you like best! http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/

Pineapple Head and Lyndzies- I feel like I am also a "hybrid"! EVERY single one of my girlfriends that has given birth in the last 5 years has had either pitocin or a C-Section and think I am insane for wanting a natural birth.

I am using a midwife group with their own birthing center at the hospital, and am leaning towards a water birth.

Do you have any fears of being a parent? I'm a little scared of how our lives will change, especially in the fact that travel won't be as easy, but for the most part I feel pretty calm about it. We're just so excited about the pregnancy the actual parenting part hasn't really crossed our minds yet.

Are you buying any parenting books? I am going to wait until I get through the first trimester and feel more confident in the pregnancy before I start buying anything baby-related. I am trying to be as positive as possible, but I will be much more excited in a few weeks once I can start sharing the news.

DH (34) and Me (31) 1/20/10 @ 5 weeks, Awaiting our October pumpkin due 10/30/10!
#20 of 135 Old 03-26-2010, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

We're having a homebirth with midwives. I'm probably going to use Hypnobabies and a birth tub. I knew I wanted a homebirth for about 5 years now. I don't have any IRL friends who have done it except one person who lives across the country. We're not close but I followed her blog about it. Whenever I pictured giving birth it was never in a hospital. I figured I'd do a birth center but then reading about her experience pushed me over the edge. And I researched and dove right into MDC. When DW and I were dating and talking about kids and making sure we both wanted them, I told her that any kids I have will be planned homebirths and if she wasn't ok with that then she had quite a bit of time to get ok with it or she didn't have to be at the birth. It took her some time, but she came around. And then after comparing our midwife appointments with our one OB appt (to get an ultrasound only) she was just shocked at the difference and is 100% fully on board. She loves our midwives and is so happy that I am set on it. Her only concern is that she'll have to do a lot more work than at a hospital, so we're hiring a doula to do all the "hard" parts that she's worried about.

#21 of 135 Old 03-26-2010, 02:57 PM

Choaners: Your comment about being a surgeon who wants a homebirth made me laugh out loud. I simply can't fathom what your colleagues will think!

On that note, I've been super concerned about all of the "forced" c-sections I see these days. 4 out of 5 friends with babies have had a c-section, and while I'm not expert, I know that it wasn't a life or death situation for any of them.

I wanted a homebirth, but the nearest MW who does them would have to travel over an hour to see me, and my insurance pays 100% for the hospital birth. I was a bit disappointed at first, but as this is my first child, I suppose I am okay with it. Who knows how nervous I'll be on the actual day!

My main issue is that I want my doctor and MW to understand that I don't want to be railroaded into a c-section, nor do I want to use pain meds. I hope that I can be strong and stick to my guns.

I'm a professor and a domestic goddess married to my ideal mate. We are living in bliss with our new baby girl, Rowan Graham, born October 8, 2010.
#22 of 135 Old 03-26-2010, 07:05 PM

Oh, thank you so much for this thread! Great idea!

Being done with it? So far, it's pretty miserable. I'm waiting for the sparkly, happy, anticipatory, glow-y part. It is so much harder than I thought it was going to be.

Right now, my primary fear is how to pay for everything. I thought I had a handle on the costs before I decided I was ready, but now that it's imminent, I'm having sleepless nights filled with anxiety. Ugh.

But way, way beyond that, I'm worried that personality may be far more nature than nurture (the opposite of what I want to believe) and that my child will end up being a little hellion. My partner and I are pretty quiet, pretty mellow people, and we love to hate other peoples' kids who scream at restaurants and kick chairs and run around shrieking, and I'm so afraid that I'll have one of those and not be able to do anything about it!

I wouldn't know where to start!

I've decided what kind of birth *I* want, but DP and I are butting heads about it. DP thinks I'm insane for wanting to birth anywhere other than a hospital, in case anything goes wrong. I think that going to a hospital is pretty much begging for interventions and eventual c-section. (I don't know a single person IRL whose children were born naturally.) I thought we had agreed to compromise on a birthing center, but I didn't realise that DP thought my OB would attend, rather than a midwife. Cue "18th century medicine" derision.
Gods, I'm only three months in and already feel embattled on every front. I really want to have my partners' support in my birth decisions. Ultimately, it's my choice, I know, but I really would like to begin this family with some semblance of cohesion.
#23 of 135 Old 03-26-2010, 07:12 PM

ha ha! oh man, don't think i haven't thought about the reactions i'm going to receive (haven't spilled the beans professionally, yet). especially since i work with a lot of men who think they know it all. but really, i love preforming surgery, but i don't want to HAVE surgery! it's a baby, not a tumor!
the moment with the midwife that really sealed the deal, she told me that if we need to go to c-section that she and her partners would typically first assist (stand opposite the ob/gyn and help w/ the c-sect) and that she really liked to close the incision. it was such a comfort to know that she would be standing right there and be my advocate on the other side of the drapes if we had to go there (it meant SO much to me). (and that she would take the time to make the incision pretty!)

joy.gifhappy wife to dh and loving mom to dd (1yr) with another little one on the way in July!!

#24 of 135 Old 03-26-2010, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinleinesque View Post

But way, way beyond that, I'm worried that personality may be far more nature than nurture (the opposite of what I want to believe) and that my child will end up being a little hellion. My partner and I are pretty quiet, pretty mellow people, and we love to hate other peoples' kids who scream at restaurants and kick chairs and run around shrieking, and I'm so afraid that I'll have one of those and not be able to do anything about it!
Ooooh, me too!!! We're very mellow, quiet people and I worry about having a child like you describe.

Choaners- what is your specialty?

#25 of 135 Old 03-26-2010, 08:57 PM

Heinleinesque - get your DP to see the film The Business of Being Born - it's even on Netflix instant viewing, so it's readily accessible. Also watch Orgasmic Birth together.

Some other folks have pointed out the difference just in the visits. If you really want a homebirth, or a birth center, get DP to come to an appointment with the midwives and then an appointment with an OB. Totally different vibe for most folk.

I'm gonna take a stab at the questions...now that I have some time....

Pregnancy is a lot harder than I thought it would be. And I'm having an easy (knock on wood) pregnancy so far (knock on wood).

It's also way, way, way better than I thought it would be. It's amazing.

I'm looking forward to being through the first trimester (Monday for me!) and getting to watch my body change, feeling the baby kick, all that stuff.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to finding a new apartment. I love my apartment, which is making it hard to think about moving, but the truth is that it's too small. But the apartment search is the biggest source of stress so far.

No.

I'm sure it's because I don't know what to fear yet.

I am worried that I won't have a lot of help. I have a lot of well-intentioned people in my life, but some of them have no follow-through.

I have a lot of responsibilities - I have two cats and two dogs. I'm thinking about asking my ex, my dog's other daddy, to come down to help out for a week or so, to stay with us and give my dog some special attention to help her adjust. That might backfire for her though, if she thinks he's back living with us (we've been split for about 5 years, she's lived with me the last 4 years).

I haven't yet. I have read a few, back when I first started trying, but I'm planning to just wing it. I may pick up some of the Sears books, but I'm not even sure which ones.

I went into this pregnancy 100% sure I wanted a home birth. Then I freaked out about the money when I found out my insurance had changed their wording and it's extremely unlikely they will cover either prenatals or the birth with anyone but a CNM who practices with an OB (and there are none who do homebirths in my state). Then I couldn't find a homebirth midwife I really loved. And now I've found a CNM at the local hospital birthing center whom I love. But I still want a home birth, but it's all very overwhelming right now. So I'm going to think about this in another week or two, not right now.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#26 of 135 Old 03-26-2010, 08:58 PM

Having a belly so people will know I’m pregnant. I want parade around in my fully goddessy womanhood. (And yes, that sentence sounds just as ridiculous to me as it does to you.)

Much like Heinleinesque I worry about the finances. Not so much that we can’t afford the baby, we can, but that something catastrophic will happen and then we’ll be in over our heads. We just bought a house in December so I think essentially my fears come from having this huge debt.

I also worry about the child’s personality. My husband is a stubborn sob and I’m worried the baby will have his personality, or at least won’t be pliable like me. I don’t know how I’ll handle a stubborn willful child.

Maybe… I’ve made notes on books about handling stubborn toddlers (see above).

I want a homebirth. The decision was relatively easy for me. I’ve wanted to be a midwife for years. Once I fell in love with my husband realized I wanted to have his child, the homebirth thing was just a natural step for me.
#27 of 135 Old 03-26-2010, 09:36 PM

[QUOTE=Heinleinesque;15229495]\But way, way beyond that, I'm worried that personality may be far more nature than nurture (the opposite of what I want to believe) and that my child will end up being a little hellion. My partner and I are pretty quiet, pretty mellow people, and we love to hate other peoples' kids who scream at restaurants and kick chairs and run around shrieking, and I'm so afraid that I'll have one of those and not be able to do anything about it!QUOTE]

Oh me too! I think all first time moms MUST have a big mental list of things their child would never do. Both me and DH were very mellow laid back children so fingers crossed that it is in the genes!
#28 of 135 Old 03-26-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrythm View Post
Much like Heinleinesque I worry about the finances. Not so much that we can’t afford the baby, we can, but that something catastrophic will happen and then we’ll be in over our heads. We just bought a house in December so I think essentially my fears come from having this huge debt.

I also worry about the child’s personality. My husband is a stubborn sob and I’m worried the baby will have his personality, or at least won’t be pliable like me. I don’t know how I’ll handle a stubborn willful child.
I just bought my home in November! After 10 years of trying, I had finally decided that children were apparently not in the cards for me, and I bought a house that's barely flexible enough to accommodate. But the mortgage is a wee bit uncomfortable.

And both me and daddy are stubborn SOBs. I look forward to talking more.
#29 of 135 Old 03-27-2010, 12:14 AM

What a great idea for a thread!

I'm looking forward to feeling the baby move. I'm ready to actually look pregnant! I've felt (and looked) like crap for the past few weeks, and I'd like to have a belly to show for it. I'm looking forward to when DH can actually feel the baby move. He's been so amazing since he accepted the fact that I actually am pregnant. It took him a couple of weeks before he finally stopped saying "if you're pregnant." I know it's hard for him to connect to the pregnancy at this point, and I can't wait for him to be able to feel the baby.

It's not necessarily related to pregnancy, but I'm also really excited to see how DH and I relate as parents. We've known each other for over 20 years, and have been a couple for 12, but I think that having a child together will change us forever.

My biggest fear is balancing my career and a babe. I'm starting my final year of medical school next month, and I'm not so concerned about a babe during my last year of school, but residency with a babe will be interesting to say the least! But, many women have done it before me, and I think we'll survive. It will be interesting to determine how to best practice AP when I'm on overnight call!

I bought several parenting books about a year ago. I've got Dr. Sears' The Baby Book, The Breastfeeding Book, and Ina Mae's book. I've got a few others, but can't remember the names off the top of my head.

The plan for me is to have a waterbirth at a freestanding birth center. I've always dreamed of a waterbirth ever since I was first introduced to the idea when I saw one on tv about 10 years ago. Something about birthing in water seemed to make so much since to me then, and it still does, so that's the plan. I'm using Hypnobabies to prepare.

Among my friends who have children, I don't know anyone irl who has had a natural birth, and certainly not an out-of-hospital birth. I'm not planning to tell many people that I am going to the birth center until after the babe is born. Luckily, DH and my mom are both totally supportive of me, which means a lot.

Me, married to DH, my childhood sweetheart. Lucky mom to an amazing DD (10/15/10), , a funny little DS (1/11/13) , and 3 silly dogs. Expecting someone new February 14, 2015!
#30 of 135 Old 03-27-2010, 10:21 AM

I forgot the most important one!

The belly! I can't wait to be floating around in the pool this summer with a big baby belly!

DH (34) and Me (31) 1/20/10 @ 5 weeks, Awaiting our October pumpkin due 10/30/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page