Birth Bead Swap? UPDATE post 1 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 04-12-2010, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just seeing how much interest there is in this. I think it is such a neat idea!

Please reply with interest and/or thoughts.

Once we get enough interest I will Start a Yahoo group for us as we are not able to do it through MDC. I am more than happy to organize this, actually I love doing things like this!

Here is the link to our Yahoo Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OctoberDDC/

You have until May 15th to sign up.

P.S. So excited for this!!!!

Wife to DH (9/02) Homeschooling Mama to DD1 (2/03) DD2 (11/06) DD3(9/10)

#2 of 55 Old 04-12-2010, 03:58 PM

Oh I would love to do this! But postage to me and from me is crazy expensive. Never mind. I'm sure you'll get lots of interest

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#3 of 55 Old 04-12-2010, 04:05 PM

I am not sure if I have ever heard of this or not? What are birth beads? I love birth and I love beads, so I might be on.
I would also like to do some kind of baby craft swaps. That would be cool. Maybe do one a month with a different buddy. so that every month we get something special made by someone else for our little babes?

Unschooling Crunchy Mama of 5 babies. Welcome Emily-Rose born September 7th 2010!
#4 of 55 Old 04-12-2010, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Everyone would send me the beads they've bought as well as an envelope with the postage already paid on it so you would just have to pay to send to me as well as the postage for beads to be sent back to you. does that make sence, it sounds kind of "rambley" to me, lol!

#5 of 55 Old 04-12-2010, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Copied this from the January Bead Swap ...

"a birth bead swap is when we all go out and get beads that are important to us somehow (for some, it might symbolize something about birth, for others, they're just eye-catching and pretty). There are some practicalities that need to be sorted out (a bead hole size is important; last time I bought string that fit our guidelines, but some of the beads- as pretty as they were- did not fit on it) but essentially we all send a self-addressed envelope that is pre-paid (I did this by having the postal employee weigh my beads, and just guessed it would be about that heavy) to a person who is willing to sort and mail all of the beads to all of the participants. Then, we all get to make a pretty birth necklace to wear while laboring and birthing, and we know that each woman who contributed a bead is thinking about/praying for us, and we can feel that support."

#6 of 55 Old 04-12-2010, 04:09 PM

Yip that makes sense, but unsure how I would buy US postage to be sent back to me?

#7 of 55 Old 04-12-2010, 04:11 PM

ohhh neat. That sounds great to me.

Unschooling Crunchy Mama of 5 babies. Welcome Emily-Rose born September 7th 2010!
#8 of 55 Old 04-12-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melly24 View Post
Yip that makes sense, but unsure how I would buy US postage to be sent back to me?

Those out of the country could just send a self addressed envelope and then send funds through paypal to cover the shipping back to them.

#9 of 55 Old 04-12-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue butterfly View Post
Those out of the country could just send a self addressed envelope and then send funds through paypal to cover the shipping back to them.
Cool count me in then please

#10 of 55 Old 04-12-2010, 05:19 PM

I would love to!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#11 of 55 Old 04-12-2010, 05:43 PM

Have been waiting in the wings for someone to get the ball rolling! I am totally in and totally excited!!!

Thanks so much for agreeing to organize. Super excited!

P.S. I think you'll probably want to do this via private Yahoo Group (as you suggested) or something so as to not post your address for us on a publicly viewable website like MDC.

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#12 of 55 Old 04-12-2010, 05:59 PM

out of country folks could also send MO...thats what I am going to do

#13 of 55 Old 04-12-2010, 06:01 PM

Count me in!!

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#14 of 55 Old 04-12-2010, 06:07 PM

Count me in!
I teared up thinking about having such spiritual support. Of course, most things get me tearing up these days.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#15 of 55 Old 04-12-2010, 06:23 PM

count me in too!!
#16 of 55 Old 04-12-2010, 07:37 PM

Sounds like fun! I love craft swapping. I'm in!

SAHMcrochetsmilie.gif to DS babyf.gif (born naturally 11/5/10) and a loyal dog2.gif
familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF cd.gif goorganic.jpg winner.jpg 

#17 of 55 Old 04-12-2010, 08:31 PM

This sounds really cool. I would love to do it. Would we send a certain amount of beads to the person who wants to be in charge? I mean if there are 25 people that are interested do we send 25 beads each so everyone gets one? Sorry if that sounds silly, I haven't done anything like this before.

Waiting, not so patiently, to meet our new addition this October
#18 of 55 Old 04-12-2010, 09:13 PM

I love this idea! Count me in! Oooh - maybe I could *make* beads for the swap, but will have to see if I have the time for such an undertaking...how fun though!!
#19 of 55 Old 04-12-2010, 10:23 PM

I would do it. I've never done anything like this before but think it would be great and an awesome keepsake for the baby when they get older.
#20 of 55 Old 04-13-2010, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by breanna31 View Post
This sounds really cool. I would love to do it. Would we send a certain amount of beads to the person who wants to be in charge? I mean if there are 25 people that are interested do we send 25 beads each so everyone gets one? Sorry if that sounds silly, I haven't done anything like this before.

Yep, one bead for each person that signs up.

I'm going to go ahead and open up a Yahoo group for us now. Be back to post a link

#21 of 55 Old 04-13-2010, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Count me in!

My friends/mom/aunts made me a string of beads at my Blessing Way (crunchy version of a shower) when I was pregnant with DS. I forgot to take them to the birthing centre with me during labour but they have since become very important to DS. They hang in his window and we talk to them every morning and night. There is a big crystal at the bottom that shoots rainbows around the room. I kind of giggled when they were making it but now there are no words to describe how important the beads have become.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#22 of 55 Old 04-13-2010, 10:13 AM

I'm in! I really wanted to do this at a Blessingway, but I will be in Italy (away from family and friends) when I give birth, and would love to have a beautiful reminder of all you lovely lady's support and prayers

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#23 of 55 Old 04-13-2010, 10:53 AM

Ive joined the group, just awaiting approval. I am excited about this!

#24 of 55 Old 04-13-2010, 01:17 PM

I'm in. Thanks for organizing!!!

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#25 of 55 Old 04-13-2010, 05:05 PM

Yay! I did a birth bead swap when pregnant with DD, and I love that necklace! DD loves to see the different beads, and I've told her many times that the necklace will be hers when she is older. I went to a local bead store and used sterling silver findings and chain to put it all together. I'm excited to make one for this baby, too!

I organized that exchange, and I learned a few things of what to do, and what not to do. I don't want to butt in and be bossy, but if ya'll are interested in hearing the things I learned (in a postive way), I'd be happy to post more. If you'd rather not, that's cool too. I could just PM the organizer if you like, too. Just trying to be helpful!
#26 of 55 Old 04-13-2010, 07:43 PM

love this idea. I'm in.

Kate (30), mama to Madi (4/18/08) and Jacob Douglas (10/8/10)
#27 of 55 Old 04-13-2010, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRoadMama View Post
Yay! I did a birth bead swap when pregnant with DD, and I love that necklace! DD loves to see the different beads, and I've told her many times that the necklace will be hers when she is older. I went to a local bead store and used sterling silver findings and chain to put it all together. I'm excited to make one for this baby, too!

I organized that exchange, and I learned a few things of what to do, and what not to do. I don't want to butt in and be bossy, but if ya'll are interested in hearing the things I learned (in a postive way), I'd be happy to post more. If you'd rather not, that's cool too. I could just PM the organizer if you like, too. Just trying to be helpful!

Any pointers would be more than appreciated

#28 of 55 Old 04-13-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue butterfly View Post
Any pointers would be more than appreciated
Yeah, that!

And this is an awesome idea. I kind of want to do this with my IRL friends/family but have worried they would think it too "woo-woo." How fun to get to do it with my DDC!

treehugger.gif SAHM with a precious toddler and the love of my life, expecting a new little one July 2014!
#29 of 55 Old 04-14-2010, 11:18 AM

Ok. Well, here is what I learned.

1 - Please make sure you include too much postage. By the time the coordinator is mailing all of these out, she'll be quite far along in her pregnancy, and standing around the post office for two hours, trying to make sure everything is going to the right person, and will arrive with enough postage, can get very hard to deal with.

2 - If there is a deadline to get your beads mailed to the coordinator, try to get your beads to her a week early. Everyone gets really excited to get their beads as soon as they put them in the mail, and it can get tough on the coordinator if some of the beads are late, and folks are getting antsy.

3 - Make sure your beads have the correct minimum hole size.

4 - If you include a birth affirmation for each of your beads, attach them to each bead, and put the whole thing in a little baggie. The coordinator will not have time to attach each piece of paper to each bead. The person receiving your bead will want to know which affirmation goes with which bead, too!

5 - If you choose a natural stone bead due to it's meanings or properties, others might enjoy a little note attached to it explaining why you chose that stone. For example, I choose ocean jasper as my bead stone, and I posted the meaning to the group (I didn't have time to print out the little cards...), something like this:

Mystical Qualities of Ocean Jasper: This stone is said to help with one's emotional life. Its colors relate to the solar plexus, said to be a storehouse for emotions. Holding the stone is like holding on to an anchor, a safe haven, while allowing deeply buried feelings to well up like a rising sea. It is said that the Jasper helps these feelings to be released in a way that allows one to process them calmly, without drowning in them. For those who don't need such emotional work, ocean jasper is said to offer a soothing, grounding effect helpful in dealing with change.

6 - Post pictures of your completed necklace! It's so cool to see everyone's different ideas!

7 - Oh, I forgot! We ended up with extra beads, so I doled out the extras among all the packages. If you want more beads for your necklace, we can all agree to send two beads per person (just a thought!).
#30 of 55 Old 04-14-2010, 11:38 AM

Just joined the Yahoo group! Waiting for approval! Yeah!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page