Are you Planning to use a Crib? Bassinet? Co-Sleeper? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 32 Old 05-19-2010, 03:31 PM
hyz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had our DD in a bassinet right by our bed until she was 6 months, then she moved to her crib (which we will soon have to convert into a toddler bed, since she is starting to get ideas about climbing out of the crib). I expect we will do the same thing again unless this babe tells us he prefers otherwise.

I was open to the idea of cosleeping when our DD was born, but she was just never good at sleeping in bed with us. Even as a tiny thing, she would flail around and poke our eyes and grab our noses and kick us and whack us so much it wasn't even funny. As soon as we put her in her own space, she would calm down and fall right asleep. It's still true today. She's almost 2, and if she's in bed with us she wants to play or be cranky, even if she's really tired and should be sleeping. We all sleep much better if she has her own space. She does end up sleeping in our bed sometimes (like if she wakes up in the middle of the night and just can't fall back asleep for some reason), but we couldn't do it all the time.

I liked the bassinet right by the bed when she was younger so that I didn't have to get up and go anywhere in the middle of the night for night nursing. We moved her to her crib at 6 months because that was the age limit on the bassinet, although I would've liked to keep her close longer. But by then she was night nursing less, and usually DH would get up when she cried in the night and bring her to me so I could nurse her in bed. Sometimes after that we'd all fall asleep together, or sometimes she'd be restless and I'd take her back to her crib.

Mom to sweet DD 8/08, and adorable DS 10/20/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 32 Old 05-20-2010, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymama View Post
We'll use an Arm's Reach mini-cosleeper - mainly for a spot to put baby when he/she is tiny but we'll be co-sleeping. Dh is a big guy and I feel safer having a place to but an itty bitty baby for the first few weeks.

I will also set up a nursery and buy a crib. I co-slept with ds, but he also always started out the night in his crib and napped there. When he woke around 3-4am for a feeding I would move him to bed with us & he would stay there until we all got up. It worked really well for us .. who knows if it will work for this one, but I can hope.

So we are buying an Arms Reach mini & crib.
we are also doing an Arms Reach co-sleeper because DH is a VERY hard sleeper and it worrys me to have a wee little one in bed with us. With DD we had a bassinet and it worked good but for the first week or so she slept with us but I didnt sleep very well cause I was worried that DH would roll on her. So this time it will be much easier with the co-sleeper, I will use the bassinet for around the house. We also have a crib but baby wont use that until 6 or 7 months old.

Darnell ~ Momma to Lilly (09/07) and expecting #2 ****5***10****15****20****25***30****35****40**

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page