Are you Planning to use a Crib? Bassinet? Co-Sleeper? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm starting to think about what to put on the registry and am trying to decide on whether to get a crib, bassinet, or co-sleeper. Has anyone else decided?

*** 5 **** 10 **** 15 **** 20 **** 25 **** 30 **** 35 * * * 40
#2 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 11:44 AM

I'm co-sleeping again. I have this device that goes next to me in the bed: http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Se.../dp/B00012CHFI I really liked it in the first month or two when our daughter was really small. By the time she outgrew it I felt ok having her just next to me in the bed. It's nice because it has built-in night light that you can turn on/off without getting out of bed.

We also used a moses basket for some naps and to carry her around the house: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007ZHJ8O?tag=tripstrostor-20 We used it when she was napping next to my husband and sometimes I propped it next to my "bed" at an angle when she was having issues with reflux. (I sleep on a futon on the floor, but that's me being weird.) The moses basket has also been a nice as she's grown older because it looks cute in her room and her dolls sleep in it; I think that it will make a nice "keepsake" when she's older.

I've heard good things about the Arm's Reach Co-sleeper from people who have real beds, but I've never used it personally. I'd be cautious about a lot of bassinets that are on the market. We were given one (marketed also as a co-sleeper) as a shower gift that has been involved in at least one reported infant death but hadn't been pulled from the market. We only used that as a changing table and gave it away when we moved.

I wouldn't buy a crib right away unless you are really sure that you're going to use it. We've never owned one and never felt like it was a loss. By the time her and I were both ready for her to try sleeping on her own she was old enough for a toddler bed.

If you do get a crib or bassinet you'll want to keep in mind the AAP recommendation that babies never sleep in a room by themselves because that increases their risk for SIDS. Whatever your baby sleeps in it should go in the same room as mom.

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#3 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 12:01 PM

We have a crib side-carred to our bed right now because our 13 month old starts the night in his room on a futon mattress on the floor. Than I bring him into our room when he wakes up. He doesn't sleep in the crib, but I will keep it up for the extra space. Sometimes I end up half in the crib if dd2 and ds both end up in our bed. We need a bigger bed. lol

I would like to get a snuggle nest for the new baby so it can sleep between dh and I. Or I can just put that in the crib if ds is in bed with us. I am hoping he will sleep in his own room all night by that but that is just wishful thinking .

Aimee - Wife to one hard working DH, SAHM to DD - Sunshine (5), DD - Cupcake (3), DS - Boo (1), and expecting a Surprise - Oct 2010!
#4 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 12:16 PM

We have an arms reach mini cosleeper for the first few months, and then are planning to move her to crib once we feel she (and we!) are ready.

I've also registered for a moses basked for when I'm downstairs or when we go visiting, since I don't want to pack up the colsleeper and take it with us all the time and all over the house (even though it does convert to a freestanding bassinet), and I certainly do not want to just leaver her sleeping in a carseat if I can help it (a few of my friends do this, but I've heard it's no good for back/neck to be in the infant car seat for long periods.

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#5 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 12:42 PM

We will be using the Arm's Reach mini co-sleeper...we had a pack n play with DS, but the bassinet in it sagged pretty bad...do I don't want to go that route again.

Meredith
#6 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 12:59 PM

We have a bassinet, and we partially co-sleep till they get to squirmy. Both our sons went into their owns rooms around 6 months because they would NOT sleep with us in the room!! They were waking up every hour or 2 in our room and sleeping thru the night in their own space... so yeah I think whatever option you choose is fine, a lot probably depends on how much room you have in your room for whatever you choose!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#7 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have a pack n play with a bassinet attachment that we use (in our room, of course). Once they're too heavy for the bassinet they just sleep right in the pack n play (we have a nice soft cover for it so they aren't sleep just on that vinyl like stuff). With dd3 she was so petite that she fit into just fine until 18 months and then went into a toddler bed in her own room. So that's probably what we'll do this time. I mostly just bed share with teeny babies, I'm a really light sleeper so once they get bigger/squirmy I can't get any sleep.
#8 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh and the pack n play we have we bought for dd1, who will be 9 in August! Best hundred bucks I ever spent
#9 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 01:42 PM

Baby will sleep with us until s/he goes at least most of the way through the night: I don't mind stumbling down the hall once or maybe twice a night, but no way to more than that! With my daughter that was a bit over 6 months and with my son it was about 5 months. Hopefully I'll get lucky again: both my kids have been great sleepers. I'm pretty much guaranteed to have one who isn't, and I assume this one will be it. But we'll muddle through.

We will definitely have a crib for naps. Napping on my bed works until they can roll, and after that it's a no go, even stacking up pillows along the edge. But in the newborn stage, my other two always either napped on me or someplace right next to me (we kept a cradle in the kitchen and a bassinet in the living room for convenient naps). After a few months those don't work so well, and we'll move napping to the crib.

I'm really annoyed that we need to buy a new crib. We bought a very cheap one when DD was born, and it snapped while being moved when DS was ready for it. So the poor kid's been sleeping in the pack and play since... and that mattress is so thin it can't be that comfortable. If I knew we were going to have a 3rd child I would have bought him a real crib right away!

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#10 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 03:00 PM

We bought an Arm's Reach mini co-sleeper off of craig's list that is in excellent condition. I hope to be able to use it for 6 months or so. After that we will be buying a crib that will be in our room. We live in a one bedroom apartment right now and will for the next while so baby will be in our room until some time in the future!
#11 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 03:30 PM

We will sidecar the cot (crib) until baby is ready to move out of our room and into a bed with DD, or their own bed in a room with DD. Depends on what both of them prefer. After he/she is one year old.

Will will use a portacot (pack n play) in the living room for naps probably.

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#12 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 03:36 PM

None of the above. We had a crib for ds1, and I think it was used about three times... when other babies were visiting for a short nap.

We do have a bassinet that I use for occasional naps in those early weeks, or just as a changing table. It was a hand-me-down, though, I don't think I'd buy one. I used the bassinet for ds1 to start with, and it was such a pain to pull him out of it and try to nurse in the middle of the night. I would start to fall asleep holding him in the rocker and realized how dangerous that was... so we switched to cosleeping, which was much safer, easier, and I got a LOT more sleep.

Check out the information by Dr. John McKenna of the mother-baby sleep laboratory. Breastfeeding mothers who sleep with their babies in a safe sleep space actually PROTECT their infants from SIDS.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#13 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 03:45 PM

we will be co-sleeping

Wife to DH (9/02) Homeschooling Mama to DD1 (2/03) DD2 (11/06) DD3(9/10)

#14 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 04:04 PM

We'll use an Arm's Reach mini-cosleeper - mainly for a spot to put baby when he/she is tiny but we'll be co-sleeping. Dh is a big guy and I feel safer having a place to but an itty bitty baby for the first few weeks.

I will also set up a nursery and buy a crib. I co-slept with ds, but he also always started out the night in his crib and napped there. When he woke around 3-4am for a feeding I would move him to bed with us & he would stay there until we all got up. It worked really well for us .. who knows if it will work for this one, but I can hope.

So we are buying an Arms Reach mini & crib.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#15 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 04:21 PM

we still hadn't decided what to do about sleeping arrangements when my daughter decided to arrive, so while we were in the hospital, my mom took my husband out and "made" him buy a crib. we were also loaned a little moses basket. i liked having both, but could have done without either. the moses basket was nice for the first few weeks, because i could move it around with me, and put her in it for a couple hours at night to get some really deep sleep. the crib is nice to have now... she doesn't spend the night in it (except for once or twice when she's fallen asleep in it before we've gone to bed and i've left her in it rather than move her. she often naps in there, and actually likes hanging out in it when she's awake too. we may transition her to nights in there once she's a bit more mobile, but for now, she basically naps where ever we happen to be... on the sofa, in bed, or where ever, and sleeps with us in bed.

i think you can make any combo work for you if you and the baby are interested.
#16 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 04:30 PM

Here's another question - people who are co-sleeping (whether that is bed sharing, or side-carring or whatever), do you have an older child who is still co-sleeping?

DD still co-sleeps half way through the night. She comes into my bed when she wakes which can be anywhere from midnight to 4am. Anyone BTDT?

#17 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melly24 View Post
Here's another question - people who are co-sleeping (whether that is bed sharing, or side-carring or whatever), do you have an older child who is still co-sleeping?

DD still co-sleeps half way through the night. She comes into my bed when she wakes which can be anywhere from midnight to 4am. Anyone BTDT?
Dd2 did and still does come in at night when ds was a newborn. Ds was between dh and I or next to me and the side-car crib that he will not sleep in . Dd2 just slept next to my dh so not next to ds.

This time my ds will just under 18 months old when lo arrives so I think we will be co-sleeping with 2 on a more regular basis. The plan for now is to have ds between dh and I and the baby in the side-carred crib. I am hoping to have a snuggle nest too for the baby.

Aimee - Wife to one hard working DH, SAHM to DD - Sunshine (5), DD - Cupcake (3), DS - Boo (1), and expecting a Surprise - Oct 2010!
#18 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

It sounds like it's tough to figure out what will work until after the baby is born. I think maybe I will do the mini co sleeper and possibly a crib that converts into a toddler bed (in case it never gets used as a crib).

*** 5 **** 10 **** 15 **** 20 **** 25 **** 30 **** 35 * * * 40
#19 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 05:26 PM

When dd2 was born dd1 was coming into our room maybe once or twice a week in the middle of the night. We have a king sized bed and asked her to please sleep at our feet if she woke and wanted to join us. I'm not very tall so that worked quite well for us.

Quote:

Wife to DH (9/02) Homeschooling Mama to DD1 (2/03) DD2 (11/06) DD3(9/10)

#20 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:

I am in the exact same position that you are and I'm not sure how it's going to work out. Both my husband and daughter take up way more than their fair share of space and I currently sleep squished between them. (We have 2 full sized mattresses pushed together, so slightly larger than a king.) I think that my solution for the first few months is going to be to put my husband in the spare room and place the baby between myself and the wall... unless Alice begins to very reliably sleep through the night EVERY night in her own room before then. Currently she comes into our room anytime between 1 a.m. and 7 a.m. ish.

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#21 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparker View Post
I am in the exact same position that you are and I'm not sure how it's going to work out. Both my husband and daughter take up way more than their fair share of space and I currently sleep squished between them. (We have 2 full sized mattresses pushed together, so slightly larger than a king.) I think that my solution for the first few months is going to be to put my husband in the spare room and place the baby between myself and the wall... unless Alice begins to very reliably sleep through the night EVERY night in her own room before then. Currently she comes into our room anytime between 1 a.m. and 7 a.m. ish.
My DH is in the spare room by himself so DD and I share a super king bed. Plenty of room for DD and I

#22 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 07:48 PM

I'll probably go the same way as with my first daughter.

We had her in a bassinet right next to me, or sometimes sleeping next to me until she outgrew her bassinet, then I put her in a cot in the same room, some nights she slept with me, but mostly right next to me until she was nearly 1, then we moved her into her own single bed in her own room, she loved it, she went to sleep much better than being in the room with us, she self settled easier, and if she woke very early she would amuse herself with toys until she got bored and then knocked on the door to be let out. Doing any changes around the age of 1 is easy, and I am glad we did it then! She is a great independent sleeper, as was I at that age.

We don't feel that for her situation that bed sharing was beneficial when she was nearly 1 years old, she would always play up and not sleep, wake up frequently and be very disruptive, but once she had her own bed, she was getting great sleep and happier child in general, her behavior did a 180.

So from this experience, we shall do the same, unless of course, our next child has an opposite personality and we will compensate for that.
#23 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
It sounds like it's tough to figure out what will work until after the baby is born. I think maybe I will do the mini co sleeper and possibly a crib that converts into a toddler bed (in case it never gets used as a crib).
This sounds like a great idea. We changed our sleeping arrangements so much with DD. She started in a bassinet, then a cot, then side-carred, then bed-sharing, then side-carred mattress on the floor (our mattress was on the floor too), then mattress on the floor in her room. All in the pursuit of more sleep

Side-carring was the best arrangement for us. I cant even remember why we changed it..something must have changed. Babies change their tune quite a bit

#24 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 08:36 PM

Honestly, we tried the whole crib thing with DD1 and DS2, and they both hated it, and we ended up cosleeping. I am not even getting it out this time. The babe will be in bed with us until they move to a toddler bed around 18 months.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#25 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunChild View Post
I'll probably go the same way as with my first daughter.

We had her in a bassinet right next to me, or sometimes sleeping next to me until she outgrew her bassinet, then I put her in a cot in the same room, some nights she slept with me, but mostly right next to me until she was nearly 1, then we moved her into her own single bed in her own room, she loved it, she went to sleep much better than being in the room with us, she self settled easier, and if she woke very early she would amuse herself with toys until she got bored and then knocked on the door to be let out. Doing any changes around the age of 1 is easy, and I am glad we did it then! She is a great independent sleeper, as was I at that age.

We don't feel that for her situation that bed sharing was beneficial when she was nearly 1 years old, she would always play up and not sleep, wake up frequently and be very disruptive, but once she had her own bed, she was getting great sleep and happier child in general, her behavior did a 180.

So from this experience, we shall do the same, unless of course, our next child has an opposite personality and we will compensate for that.
That sounds wonderful and I'm jealous I wouldn't have been still bed sharing when Alice was 1 except at that age she was still nursing as much as a lot of 6 month olds which included a lot of night nursing. Even if we'd put her in her own room she would have been in our bed within a few hours wanting to nurse (or crying for me to come to her). I began trying to night wean her when she was around 18 months and it took several tries and didn't stick until she was almost 2.5... I'm not sure if she would have even done it then except this pregnancy helped it along by decreasing my supply so that the waking up began to seem less "worth it" to her (plus she really upped her solid food intake at that point).

It seems like A LOT of transitions are easier to accomplish in the year between 1 and 2 than they are between 2 and 3. I seriously wish I had emphasized toilet learning during that period instead of waiting until she turned 2.

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#26 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 09:06 PM

We will cosleep for at least the first few months, and then probably go to a start the night in the crib, move into our bed routine until baby sleeps better. We'll likely transition the baby out of our bed completely between 1-2. Neither of our kids still cosleeps, although both like to cuddle in the mornings.
We also have a cradle which is a family heirloom-- we will photograph the baby in it and use it downstairs a few times to make my mom happy.

Anne-Marie
expecting #3 October 26, 2010
#27 of 32 Old 05-18-2010, 01:38 AM

I'm going to get an arm's reach sleigh bed cosleeper. it holds like 500 lbs, which i think will be important because my 2 year old doesn't always listen to "no" and I forsee her trying to get in it when it's unoccupied. That will be in our room and we'll do a pack n' play in the living room for some naps. I have a crib and it was set up with DD, but she never spent more than 10 minutes in it. I'll get it out if/when I think this new one isn't going to need to nurse all night, but until then, I want him/her close.

And, DD is still cosleeping. I don't see that going away soon--I love my snuggles.

Kate (30), mama to Madi (4/18/08) and Jacob Douglas (10/8/10)
#28 of 32 Old 05-18-2010, 03:54 AM

#29 of 32 Old 05-18-2010, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We plan to co-sleep, as we did with our previous babies, but we may need another solution if, for example, I end up working night shifts once I go back to work. I guess we'll cross that particular bridge if and when we come to it, though I think I'll register for a playyard with bassinet or something similar.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#30 of 32 Old 05-19-2010, 02:56 PM

I finally figured out our sleeping arrangements this morning . I have been wondering where the heck me and the new LO are going to sleep, seeing as my bed is way too high and my son's bed is not comfortable for me. Futon mattress on the floor! But I want a bassinet too for daytime naps out in the living room, or wherever.

caffix.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page