How much water to drink before ultrasound? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-20-2010, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have my big 20 week ultrasound on Monday morning and have been told to arrive with my bladder "comfortably full". Does anyone recall that they were told to drink a certain amount of water - and how much was that?

In a previous pregnancy, I arrived at the ultrasound place with an empty bladder and was scolded for this, despite the fact that no one told me otherwise. I was told to drink so many cups or ounces of this ice cold water they had there, which totally threw my system into shock and gave me the shakes (I was also very nervous, but still).

I'd like not be overly full and extremely uncomfortable the whole time, but also not have to drink any MORE water when I get there because I'm not full enough.
Thanks!
#2 of 18 Old 05-20-2010, 09:35 PM

My u/s paperwork said to drink 32 oz an hour beforehand. When I got a reminder call I was told to drink 20, so of course I went with the smaller amount. The u/s tech was running 50 minutes behind and by the time I got back to my exam room I was about to explode. I was told my bladder was "huge." I had the tech take a few measurements that needed to have a full bladder then I had the hugest pee of my life. I think 20oz should be sufficient if things are running on time. If I were to do it over I would drink the 20 oz then taken a small pee after waiting for a while.
#3 of 18 Old 05-20-2010, 09:36 PM

With my first I drank 32ish oz. It was so incredibly painful I couldn't enjoy it. The tech made me pee halfway through b/c I was ready to cry. With this on I drank normally all day and it was so much better. They still saw everything and got all the measurements they needed and I wasn't almost in tears from having to pee so bad. If your bladder isn't full enough you can always chug some more once you get there.

obstruct livery vehicles

#4 of 18 Old 05-20-2010, 10:16 PM

I've had four or five ultrasounds this pregnancy, the early ones were trans vaginal, so no water. The 20 week anatomy scan was transabdominal, as was my 14 week bleeding scare, and my 11 week nuchal fold they had to do both because of the baby's position.

I haven't had to drink water for any of them. I have had my uterus ultrasounded when not pregnant, too, and I did have to drink water that time, but I was told it was't necessary during pregnancy.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#5 of 18 Old 05-20-2010, 10:30 PM

My little slip for my ultrasound appointment says to drink 16 oz of water 1 hour beforehand. For example, my appt is 10:45, so it says to start drinking the water at 9:30 and finish it by 9:45.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#6 of 18 Old 05-20-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn View Post
My little slip for my ultrasound appointment says to drink 16 oz of water 1 hour beforehand. For example, my appt is 10:45, so it says to start drinking the water at 9:30 and finish it by 9:45.

That's exactly what I was told to do for the first ultrasound I had with each pregnancy. Usually after they get everything they need they let you get up and use the restroom and then proceed to let you see your baby. 

~The Mrs.-A.K.A Mommy loveeyes.gif ~
Happily married to 1 kewl.gif (4/4/2004) & SAHM to 3-DS(3) jog.gif ,DD1(6) notes.gif,DD2(1)babyf.gif

#7 of 18 Old 05-20-2010, 11:22 PM

Just had mine last week and was told by the receptionist to drink 30-40oz of water an hour before but then when I got there the tech said that was crazy and had me pee out a cup(a styrafoam cup! Do you know how hard it was to stop peeing?!?!?) and then half way through another two cups and then another 3...she said if I had to come back to drink 16-20oz about 30 minutes before I got there.
#8 of 18 Old 05-20-2010, 11:50 PM

I was given very specific instructions: One hour before the u/s, to drink 8 oz of water every 15 minutes, until I had drunk 5 cups of water. Don't drink all the water at once. Don't pee once you start drinking. Finish the 5th glass of water at least 15 minutes before the u/s.

Girl #1: 2/14/08
Girl #2: 10/14/10
#9 of 18 Old 05-20-2010, 11:55 PM

I was only told to come with a full bladder at the 8 week dating scan; the subsequent NT scan (12 weeks) and anatomy scan (18 weeks) I was told I did not have to do any special prep, so I didn't. I just drank my usual amount of liquid, and they were able to see everything perfectly fine. As a matter of fact, the u/s tech at the 12 week asked me to empty my bladder a bit because she said it was a bit too full.

I believe that around 11 or 12 weeks your uterus pops up above your pelvic bone, which is why you really don't need a full bladder by that point to help "push" it up and out so the tech can get a good look like you have to early on.

Just my experience and two cents, for what it's worth! Good luck w/ your scan!

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#10 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 02:00 AM

I just had mine at 19 weeks 2 days and I was given no instructions about drinking. I drank about a quarter to a half a liter in the car on the way there and the doctor who did the ultrasound didn't comment about the fullness (lack of fullness) of my bladder at all.

I can't imagine what would be "comfortably full" though halfway through a second (or more) pregnancy... it seems like my bladder is always uncomfortably full.

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#11 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 08:37 AM

The tech I went to said they don't need you to drink water to see the baby. It's to make the ovaries and other non-baby measurements easier to do. So, if you get that taken care of earlier (at another ultrasound), it makes sense that they wouldn't need you to do that at a 20-wk u/s.
#12 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I was told 1 L of clear fluid 1 hour before the scan. When I did this with DS, the tech burst out laughing when she saw the baby. My bladder was so full that he was litterally squished and couldn't move. It was my first ultrasound so I didn't know any better - I thought he looked great. They sent me to pee to the count of 40 not once or twice but three times!! Then I could see the difference, he was stretching out and bouncing all over the place. It was hilarious!

The tech told me that if you normally drink a lot of fluids and stay well hydrated, you don't need to have nearly as much before the scan.

So for my 12 week ultrasound with this baby, I didn't drink anything extra, I just didn't pee all morning and had my usual tea, juice, etc. Well that wasn't enough - the tech complained that the baby was hard to see and I could tell that she was having a tough time getting all the angles necessary to get the measurements.

I have my 20 week scan today and I guess I'll aim for an amount in between my two previous experiences.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#13 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 12:12 PM

I was told I should drink 32 ounces one hour before the 20 week anatomy scan and they haven't told me to drink this much water for any of my other scans - I assume because they didn't need to see as much detail at those scans?

If the point is just to fill up the bladder so that the uterus pops out of the pelvis more then I'm guessing the total 32 ounces probably isn't necessary for me (it seems to be popping out enough already) but if I can drink it without feeling really uncomfortable I will just to make the ultrasound technician's job as easy as possible for her.
#14 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! It's very helpful to hear what you've all done. I think I'll aim for at least 20 ounces, and bring my own - not ice cold - water with me to sip on the way.
#15 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 03:30 PM

I was told empty my blader and drink 32oz and finish it an hour befor.

Married to a WONDERFUL man, SAHM of Israel 9(b) , Ireland 5(g) , Iceland 4(b),  Italy 2(g), Scoltand 9 m(g), and pregnant with baby #6

#16 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 04:15 PM
hyz

I just had mine at 18w, and the tech actually asked if I had to use the restroom before she did any of the ultrasound--an empty bladder was no problem for her. There was also a sign in the front office that said if you were 15 weeks or later, then you did not have to have a full bladder for your ultrasound. At 20 weeks, you should be fine. If I were you, I'd just drink normally and try not to pee within an hour or two before the ultrasound. If you have to go when you get there, ask to be sure if it would be ok for you to use the restroom before your exam. You don't want to be squirming in pain on the table for no reason!

Mom to sweet DD 8/08, and adorable DS 10/20/10
#17 of 18 Old 05-23-2010, 11:39 PM

Every u/s I've ever had with all 4 kids, whether at 8 weeks or 20, they always tell me to empty my bladder as I put the gown on.

mom to 4 kids, ages 20 mos to 11 years

#18 of 18 Old 05-24-2010, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you again everyone! I had my ultrasound this morning, and went in with quite an uncomfortably full bladder - 20 ounces would do that - and was surprised when the tech said that if I had to empty my bladder, I could. What??? Why did you tell me to drink all that stinkin' water?? GAH!

And...all went very well with the ultrasound. The kiddo looks great! Hooray!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page