Anyone else NOT having an ultrasound? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 05-20-2010, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious. I'm not bc it's more of a hassle for me than it's worth, as I dislike all things medical. Plus, I don't want to know the sex until birth. What about you?
#2 of 24 Old 05-20-2010, 11:28 PM

I'm waiting to have the anatomy scan at 34 weeks and will not be finding out the sex. There are a few people here who aren't scanning at all, unless medically necessary

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#3 of 24 Old 05-20-2010, 11:37 PM

I am one of those who will not be getting a scan or using a doppler unless it's medically indicated. So far some people think we're crazy. I think it's crazy that when my mom was pregnant with me, ultrasounds were around but she was never offered one. If she had wanted one, she would have had to give some good reasons to the doctor and pay for it. 30 years later, I'm the one who's looked at funny for refusing and find myself having to give good reasons for not getting a scan. I wonder what happened in those 30 years to make being pregnant so dangerous....

9/2011 items decluttered
#4 of 24 Old 05-20-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier View Post
I am one of those who will not be getting a scan or using a doppler unless it's medically indicated. So far some people think we're crazy. I think it's crazy that when my mom was pregnant with me, ultrasounds were around but she was never offered one. If she had wanted one, she would have had to give some good reasons to the doctor and pay for it. 30 years later, I'm the one who's looked at funny for refusing and find myself having to give good reasons for not getting a scan. I wonder what happened in those 30 years to make being pregnant so dangerous....
It's crazy isnt it. I am still having one, but I'm looked at as if I have two heads for refusing the NT scan and delaying the anatomy scan. Often I get asked "can you do that?" Or even better when someone finds out I'm having an HBAC "will they let you?" I find it quite sad that pregnancy and birth has become a medical event in society's mind. We just pregnant, not sick!

Sorry, rant over

*I know that for a minority of women pregnancy and birth is or can become a legitimate medical condition.

#5 of 24 Old 05-21-2010, 09:39 AM

I'm not getting one either, and I'm rather surprised at the number of women on here that are getting them as well as extra 3D exams. Usually I find more conservative people on here with regard to medical procedures. They say they may try to make me have one though later in pregnancy to check how big the baby is because I'm overweight. Has anyone else ever heard of that? They did it with the first one too and she came out a healthy 7 lbs 7 oz, no reason to believe I'd have a particularly big baby

Mama to DD1 4/08fly-by-nursing1.gif and DD2 10/10 bfinfant.gifcd.gifcat.gif
#6 of 24 Old 05-21-2010, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're not finding out until the birth
It's like knowing what your gifts are before opening them you know?

E & K (13yrs) and our flock of 6!

"Hey little one, why don't you go get cleaned up, you look like a country bumkin."
"Mum, I am a country bumkin"
#7 of 24 Old 05-21-2010, 11:31 AM

I was really content this time to let it go. I'm having my sixth and my fourth was a homebirth and I ended up going to a doctor once, just for the scan, and it was WAY too long IMO, long enough that I felt uncomfortable (and though I'm 'crazy' by mainstream medical standards, I'm not particularly gung-ho natural either).

With #5 I had an in-office u/s only - I refused the "big" anatomy scan.

This time around I was truly content to let it go and not have one, but dh really wants one. And I figure it must be hard to feel so "left out" of the loop. I mean it's your kid, but you don't have much control over it when it's in someone else's body, right? LOL So I'm doing it for him. I am doing it later and I'm doing the 3d/4d one b/c I want to. I don't want to bring my kids or my MIL but I know they'll get a kick out of seeing it, so I'm bringing them home pix and short videos.

In some ways I wish I was stronger and could just do what *I* want, but I also have a problem with selfishness so this is probably good for me.

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#8 of 24 Old 05-21-2010, 12:24 PM

I won't be having an U/S for a few reasons. One, I'm of the opinion that "less is more" when it comes to medical intervention in pregnancy, and hearing the heartbeat on the doppler at my midwives appointments satisfies my curiosity about the baby. Also, we decided early on to not find out the baby's sex so that wasn't a driving influence. Another reason is that our insurance currently doesn't cover any maternity costs (we are self-employed so buy our own) so any U/S we want to get must be paid out of pocket.

A small part of me thinks it would be fun to see the baby moving around on the screen, but I just can't justify the time, hassle and expense for that reason alone.

Mom to MJ - born 10.17.10 
#9 of 24 Old 05-21-2010, 05:32 PM

No U/S's over here - for the very reasons already mentioned...

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!
#10 of 24 Old 05-21-2010, 05:34 PM

We're not doing an ultrasound either. I didn't have one for my other two sons. I'm dying to find out the gender over here though. It's gonna be hard to wait until October!

That said, no one needs to justify why they are choosing or not choosing to have an ultrasound. It's just a simple question.
#11 of 24 Old 05-22-2010, 11:30 AM

I am first time mama, planning a homebirth. I will forgo the U/S for several reasons:

1. I know my dates!
2. I don't want to know the sex.
3. I read that article in Mothering several years ago about U/S's and autism and started thinking.
4. I am a L&D RN and see so many decisions based on U/S's that turn up to be inaccurate and costly mistakes. Entire progressions of labor and delivery based on faulty info. NO Thanks.

If my intuition at some point, read NOT fear, kicks in and guides me that way, then perhaps. But at present time no U/S. And HONEYBEE I feel you, why post your reasons to HAVE and U/S on a this thread? Ugh!

Owlgirl w/ life partner of 7 years & Nadia Avani 12/18/10.
#12 of 24 Old 05-23-2010, 07:07 PM

Hi all. I didn't want to delete this thread all together. Just a gentle reminder to please keep this thread on topic, i.e. who else is not getting an ultrasound. If something about the original post rubs you the wrong way, please feel free to respond to other threads instead. Thanks so much for your cooperation!

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#13 of 24 Old 05-23-2010, 09:46 PM

We're not getting an ultrasound either - didn't with DS and felt totally comfortable. We got one early on to check 1 baby or 2 and it's 1. Now we're all set with no more interventions. I can't wait to get our delivery surprise! It's the only way to get me through labor. :-)

Married 16 yrs to DH, DS (3/06) x4 (11/04) (3/08) (3/09) (8/09)
DD born 9/24/2010 :
#14 of 24 Old 05-24-2010, 08:56 PM

I'm not planning on having a routine u/s. Choosing to forego the routine 20 week u/s was the very first "natural"/anti-mainstream parenting decision I ever made with my first (hospital birth). I couldn't believe the backlash... and I was only following ACOG's recommendation! I did end up w/ a u/s in that pg to check fluid levels at 41.5 weeks, but with three kiddos, that's the only one I've had.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#15 of 24 Old 05-24-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I'm not planning on having a routine u/s. Choosing to forego the routine 20 week u/s was the very first "natural"/anti-mainstream parenting decision I ever made with my first (hospital birth). I couldn't believe the backlash... and I was only following ACOG's recommendation! I did end up w/ a u/s in that pg to check fluid levels at 41.5 weeks, but with three kiddos, that's the only one I've had.
I had no idea that ACOG doesn't recommend routine 20-wk ultrasounds! Very interesting.
#16 of 24 Old 05-24-2010, 11:45 PM

I had the 20 week ultrasound and IMO it was too long and didn't feel right . But then another part of me was glad that I had it because of the chance it could pick up on something important. Could be just me because I get totally worked up and freaked out in hospitals. Totally in support of all of you who are having zero ultrasound contact though . Anyways, I won't be letting my doc use a doppler on me....so I kinda count lol.

caffix.gif

#17 of 24 Old 05-25-2010, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomismom View Post
I had no idea that ACOG doesn't recommend routine 20-wk ultrasounds! Very interesting.
People say this all the time, yet I've never been able to find anything on the ACOG website that says they believe women should not have routine u/s. This is the closest thing I can find http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/100_199/0199.html

Their website is kind of a pain to navigate, though!
#18 of 24 Old 05-26-2010, 01:00 AM
che

Before getting pregnant, we decided to wait to find out the sex of the baby when they arrived. How exciting!
I am not high risk, live a healthy lifestyle, and had an uncomplicated pregnancy with my first. So I don't really see a need to have a 20 week ultrasound.
We have been throwing around the idea of getting an ultrasound at 36 weeks to measure my c-secion scar thickness. I have been researching studies showing the risk of rupture changes with the thickness of the scar.
We are planning a VBAC home/waterbirth with a midwife.
I want to be careful, but I also know that those ultrasounds aren't 100% accurate.
I have been thinking about how I would feel if it was considered thinly dangerous. Would I go to the hospital and accept another c-secion without trying for the natural birth I want so badly? Would I stay home and follow through with my original plan, watching for early signs of rupture, knowing that the hospital is a 5 minute car drive away?
I am thankful I have time to think about these things... I trust my body and birth.
Either way- We will not be finding out the gender until the baby is born.

Wife to loving and tallented DH(8/03) & Mommy to ever amazing DS(01/08) ~C-Section SURVIVOR~
Expecting a new member of our family 10/24/10! Planning HBAC!!!
#19 of 24 Old 05-26-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by che View Post
Before getting pregnant, we decided to wait to find out the sex of the baby when they arrived. How exciting!
I am not high risk, live a healthy lifestyle, and had an uncomplicated pregnancy with my first. So I don't really see a need to have a 20 week ultrasound.
We have been throwing around the idea of getting an ultrasound at 36 weeks to measure my c-secion scar thickness. I have been researching studies showing the risk of rupture changes with the thickness of the scar.
We are planning a VBAC home/waterbirth with a midwife.
I want to be careful, but I also know that those ultrasounds aren't 100% accurate.
I have been thinking about how I would feel if it was considered thinly dangerous. Would I go to the hospital and accept another c-secion without trying for the natural birth I want so badly? Would I stay home and follow through with my original plan, watching for early signs of rupture, knowing that the hospital is a 5 minute car drive away?
I am thankful I have time to think about these things... I trust my body and birth.
Either way- We will not be finding out the gender until the baby is born.
I am in a very similar situation to you. The previous c-section is the reason we are delaying the anatomy scan until 34 weeks. To mainly check the placenta placement. If placenta is over the scar, I will choose to VBAC in hospital. If it's well clear then I'm good to HBAC I have wondered about getting them to check the scar thickness too, but I know I wouldn't trust the results either way, so have decided to go with watching for signs in labour instead. If the scan showed it was thin, I know I would doubt that it was (ultrasounds not completely reliable), but then it would play on my mind. Especially in labour.

#20 of 24 Old 05-26-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
People say this all the time, yet I've never been able to find anything on the ACOG website that says they believe women should not have routine u/s. This is the closest thing I can find http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/100_199/0199.html

Their website is kind of a pain to navigate, though!
I was doing the research 7 years ago, so it's possible they changed their stance. But, at the time, it was based on a large research study of healthy, low-risk women divided into routine 20 week scan and no scan. There was no difference in the health/survival outcomes for babies with problems detected before birth via u/s vs. those detected at birth. HOWEVER, those in the scan group had much higher rates of interventions resulting in poorer outcomes. There was a significant difference between induction rates, c-section rates, premature birth rates, NICU stays, etc. These were iatrogenic (dr caused) problems due to PERCEIVED problems in the ultrasounds.

I also read about the supposed risks of ultrasounds at the time I was deciding, but I wasn't really convinced about those. But, the evidence that just having a routine scan could start that cascade of interventions made me decide to forego the u/s. I had actually been looking forward to having all those great u/s pictures of my baby, too.

Now I have homebirths, so the cascade of interventions things isn't really as much of a risk. But I still opt not to have one. I think having something show up as a potential problem and worrying about it all pregnancy, and having to decide whether or not to do even more invasive testing, would be worse than the more rare defect at birth that would necessitate emergency care. (Given, mind you, that statistically, baby has the same chance of ultimate good health in either case.). Obviously that would be traumatic... but much less likely than the false positive screening.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#21 of 24 Old 05-26-2010, 07:01 PM

Jumping back in to this DDC....haven't been too active here lately

I just decided not to get an ultrasound as well....for many of the reasons already posted....

One thing I was confronting was WHY I wanted one in the first place.....was it to check for abnormalities? Was it to possibly sneak a peak at the sex?(even thought I don't really want to know) Or was it simply because that's just what everyone does?

Well.....after asking myself these questions over and over, I decided that I didn't feel strongly enough about any of them to actually get it done....and my midwife strongly supported me which makes me feel great about the decision (she is like a birthing encyclopedia )

WOH Mom (for now)to DS (aka:Kiddo) and Little Bean (10/12/2010), Married to DH for ~7 years,
#22 of 24 Old 05-27-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melly24 View Post
I'm waiting to have the anatomy scan at 34 weeks and will not be finding out the sex. There are a few people here who aren't scanning at all, unless medically necessary
Melly and others have mentioned deferring the anatomy scan to later in the pregnancy. I'm somewhat curious to know your reasons for doing so. I'm NOT asking for justification, I totally respect your decision... I'm just wondering if there is a particular reason why you are choosing to delay.

Thanks
#23 of 24 Old 05-27-2010, 03:26 PM

Honeybee, that is very interesting. Its definitely possible that ACOG changed its stance in the last 7 years, but who knows. Some of their stances are surprisingly natural. I know there are a few defects that really SHOULD be caught prenatally for the best outcome (like spina biffida or some heart defects I'm guessing). I wonder what percentage of pregnancies have those issues compared to those that have miscarriages after an amnio, etc or some other problem brought on by too many interventions. I'd love to see some numbers but it sounds like those are pretty hard to come by.
#24 of 24 Old 05-27-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheashea View Post
Melly and others have mentioned deferring the anatomy scan to later in the pregnancy. I'm somewhat curious to know your reasons for doing so. I'm NOT asking for justification, I totally respect your decision... I'm just wondering if there is a particular reason why you are choosing to delay.

Thanks
Happy to answer.
I do feel that the anatomy scan has some benefits to me. I'm having a homebirth after a caesarean, and would like to check the placenta placement. There is a chance the placenta is over the scar and this increases my risk of haemorrhage and placenta accreta. A placenta at 34 weeks is where it will be at term. When I was pg with DD I had a low lying placenta at 18 weeks that moved up and away by 30 weeks, but I stressed about it until I knew it had moved. This time I would like to avoid any undue stress as much as poss.
I want to have as little ultrasounds as possible which is why I'm not having a 20 wk ultrasound - if the placenta is low-ish at 20 wks(which I dont think it is) I'll have to have another one to see if it has moved.

Of course this is all very individual to me, and someone who is in a similar position may still choose to forgo ultrasounds completely. Which is of course fine for them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page