Mothering Forum banner

Crafty mamas

3K views 57 replies 24 participants last post by  oliviab 
#1 ·
I know Lyndzies' making some (super cute) diaper covers. Anyone else making anything yet? I'm knitting a little wool hat right now. I also want to knit a sleep sack and some longies.

#27 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I love the Sheepy Pants pattern for longies. I made a pair for my cousin's baby (that I am going to get back for this next one), and I'm working on a newborn size for this baby. You can find it on ravelry if you search for Sheepy Pants.
Awesome, I'll check that out! Thanks!

Lyndzies, the room looks great! Amazing what repainting a dresser can do, wow! I'm so not a decorator, either

#28 ·
That room looks great Lyndzies! I'm glad you mentioned those things on the dresser were fabric scraps because at first I thought they looked like antique plates and I feared for their safety with a LO around.

I lost steam on the stuffed ball I was knitting. I have almost all the pieces done, but now they need to be seamed together and I haaate that part.

I've been working on a cross stitch of a rose. No idea why I picked it, because cross stitch is the most boringest thing ever and takes about 18 years. Maybe I should get to work on some immediate payoff items like little knitted hats or something.

I am still lusting after that mobile posted earlier in the thread, but I'd have nowhere to put it in our house.
The heat in our house radiates down from the ceiling from coils that are inside the ceiling, so you can't put any nails in for fear of hitting wiring and you can't use adhesive hooks because the heat coming from the ceiling will make the adhesive melt. Ho hum.

#29 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kallyn View Post
I am still lusting after that mobile posted earlier in the thread, but I'd have nowhere to put it in our house.
The heat in our house radiates down from the ceiling from coils that are inside the ceiling, so you can't put any nails in for fear of hitting wiring and you can't use adhesive hooks because the heat coming from the ceiling will make the adhesive melt. Ho hum.
Can you get one of those planter hangers for the wall and hang it off of that? You could get super creative and make it look like a tree branch coming out of the wall.

#30 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyndzies View Post
You all make me feel like I really need to learn how to crochet/knit! Lol.

So, I'm unbelievably excited (and proud!) to finally be able to share some photographic proof of all the hard work that's been going on over here.

Wow, it's beautiful! I love the colours and the wall art. I love how it's not babyfied. She'll treasure the time and thought that went into it for many many years to come.

#31 ·
havent started making anything per say but I went hog wild at joanns the other day buying TONS and TONS of girly fabric and patterns for jumpers and dresses and all sorts of things. I wanted to start in on making some cute little pinafores (?) that I have a pattern for but i've been procrastinating on getting a serger or not. DH said that I could get one as a "gift for giving him a girl"
(dont flame him he is really excited about having a daughter plus he knows I love to sew all sorts of little girl things for our friends and now I finally have someone to sew for)

#32 ·
Hi all,

Thought I'd post a link to the wool soakers I've been knitting up. I have no idea how effective they are or if I'll like them, but the pattern got good reviews on ravelry and they are easy to whip up!

http://mainelivin.blogspot.com/2010/...baby-swag.html

I'm working on a baby cardigan sweater next...too bad we have to knit in the height of summer heat, but I do like having these projects to do in my spare time.

Keep on craftin'!

#33 ·
luv-my-boys - would you care to share your pinafore pattern? I have never made clothes before, but I want to try my hand at some clothes for the baby!

ilovemaine - your soakers are fantastic!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessieBird View Post
My favourite is this bird mobile.
I made mine this weekend!!! I am so proud of it (and hope to have pics to share, soon.

I also finished the bookshelf a few weeks ago, which I'm pretty happy with, and hung our window treatments (which I did not make, but I'm happy the colors and styles I picked worked out as well IRL as they did in my head).

Now I'm working on some more wall art projects, and getting up the gumption to sew some more fitted CDs and covers. I admit I'm waiting to see what people gift Cadence with at our showers before I crank out too many, though. Lol.

What has everyone else been working on??

#36 ·
Lyndzies - that room looks simply amazing. I just LOVE that dresser you refinished, and the wallpaper is perfect. I can't wait to see the room when you are completely done - you really have a talent for decorating!

I'm just loving this thread and all the crafty things people have made. I'm so not crafty at all - but I've bought lots of handmade items off diaperswappers!!

#37 ·
I am feeling totally inspired by all you crafty mamas. Lyndzies, the room is breathtaking, and I love love love how you have refinished the dresser. Where did you find the wallpaper?

I am also going to knit some longies and I now have a copy of the sheepy pants pattern (thanks honeybee). Im going to hit the wool store with my sister (my knitting wing-woman). I think I will try a size small and I'm hoping my sister will dash off a pair of newborn longies.

In terms of original ideas, I am going to dust off my easel and try to paint some wall art for the nursery.

#39 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyndzies View Post
luv-my-boys - would you care to share your pinafore pattern? I have never made clothes before, but I want to try my hand at some clothes for the baby!

[??
I actually bought the pattern at Joann's its a butterick pattern. I do know there are quite a few tutorials online for free but Im a much better pattern sewer than eye balling it plus im horrible at judging fabric amts so having patterns that clearly state how much fabric/notions I need really helps.

here is one of the ones I used...love multi patterns
http://butterick.mccall.com/b5439-pr...hp?page_id=378

#40 ·
This thread made me "yay!"

I just finished turning my toddler's room into what is now known as "the girls''' room.

I am knitting a blanket that goes with the crib bedding that I picked out when I did the room. I am also in the process of setting up a play area in what used to be the dining room.

#41 ·
So... is everyone still making progress?

I've been looking over my list and have realized it's insanely long at this point. I'm 32 weeks now; not much time left for baby crafting on top of all the other things that need doing. Plus I have friends having babies and I will feel rotten if I don't make at least a couple of their gifts -- though I'm considering cheating and giving them the handmade items for Christmas instead of at their showers, just to buy a little more time.

For my (current) list:
~I'm about halfway through the main body of this blanket. I'm doing it in an unbleached cotton yarn, but we plan to change out the ribbon based on the baby's sex and our preference. Mine doesn't look quite as perfect and regular as hers since I'm still getting the hang of crochet, but there's a lot of love in it, and I don't think the baby will mind.

~Baby legwarmers made from women's socks. There are several tutorials for these online. I found a lot of nice patterns at Target for only $2/pr... way cheaper than buying BabyLegs and plenty of gender-neutral choices.

~Cloth wipes (does this even count as a project?)

~2 slings. I just have to decide what type(s) to try. I think I am going to go for a pretty patterned one for myself and either a black or plaid one to share with DH.

~Baby shoes! I would not personally every purchase these, but they are so sweet to make.

~A travel changing pad

~General embellishing of more plain onesies and kimono-type tops with ribbon trim or freezer paper stencils. These are quick projects, but oh-so-satisfying.

Okay, that's my edited list. Here's hoping I have time for it all!

#42 ·
You're way more ambitious than me! I've finished a pair of longies and a hat to match. I'm going to try my hand at a sweater... but I'm finishing up ds3's longies for a birthday present, first. If I ever get another camera (we lost ours), I'll take pics of the longies and hat. They're really cute.

#43 ·
APBTlover - that blanket is fantastic! I am going to check out the babylegs project, too. What a great idea!

I'm still going strong w/ my crafting.
Nursery grand reveal is coming up soon, but I wanted to share some pics of the crib bedding set I made for our little girl!

When you can't get bedding in your colors and can't even FATHOM spending $350+ for a custom set, you just gotta DIY!

#44 ·
Love your list APBTlover....looks alot like mine actually (and YES cloth wipes count!!)

Lyndzies - nice bedding....beautiful work! I say....you gotta DIY even if its $50+ hahaha!

I actually got to work on converting my prefolds to fitteds this weekend...YAY! I have a stack of wool sweaters that I love and cant wait to make little soakers

Found this adorable kimono pattern to that I want to make a few of

http://habitual.wordpress.com/kimono/

(I would like to use snaps instead of a tie.....any suggestions??)

#45 ·
Lyndzies, that bedding looks AMAZING!! Your nursery is so beautiful - can't wait to see pics of the totally finished room.

I'm not crafty guys - but I did manage to paint the nursery and a dresser we are using in there. It looks great, matches the bedding set beautifully and really brightens and calms the room.

I had to laugh today though - I've put so much effort into this room I know he'll rarely if ever sleep in!
But it's really more for me - I feel so calm and happy in there, and I know I'll spend lots of time in the rocking chair nursing so it's worth it.

#46 ·
Thanks, mistymama and oliviab! I have been working really hard to make a nice space for her, not just for when she's a baby, but a space I can envision my little girl making her own (um, and hopefully not asking to redecorate till she's a tween!).

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistymama View Post
I had to laugh today though - I've put so much effort into this room I know he'll rarely if ever sleep in!
But it's really more for me - I feel so calm and happy in there, and I know I'll spend lots of time in the rocking chair nursing so it's worth it.
This, exactly. I just sit in the glider now, gazing around and thinking of our baby. It makes me feel so happy to spend time in that room with all of her things. I'm also making it a habit of doing my Hypnobabies scripts in her room, which works well for me since I instantly relax as soon as I'm in the room.

#47 ·
I keep starting things and not finishing them. Sigh. Still working on a cross stitch from months ago! And totally lost steam on the tinkly bell ball I was knitting after I had to return the pattern book to the library.

I just found this though and it's so cute I think I might just die:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/akatonbo/pumpkin-hat-2

It's a little hat/bootie set that's shaped like a pumpkin! If you don't have a Ravelry account, the actual pattern for the hat is here:
http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patt...pumpkinhat.htm
and booties:
http://knitnookshop.blogspot.com/200...y-booties.html

And just imagine them in matching yarn. I might have to make a special trip to the yarn shop just for this!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.