Crafty mamas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2010, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know Lyndzies' making some (super cute) diaper covers. Anyone else making anything yet? I'm knitting a little wool hat right now. I also want to knit a sleep sack and some longies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm knitting a big squishy colorful ball right now that I'm going to put a bell inside. I also have plans to make some knitted blocks and maybe some stuffed animals. I like knitting "things" way more than knitting clothes.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
Old 05-25-2010, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I just hope to finish some of the projects I started and never completed for DS. I've learned my lesson about starting new things...

My favourite is this bird mobile.

I adapted the pattern to make the bird a little less tropical in shape and more "northern" (more like a fat cardinal or jay). I have all the birds sewed up and turned right side out but that's as far as I got!

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:50 PM

I have tons of baby print flannel left from ds. I think I am going to make new wipes.

Tod and Ang
parents to Justin, Sage, Bailey, Hanna and JonJon Expecting another little one in Oct 2010.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela_Petree View Post
I have tons of baby print flannel left from ds. I think I am going to make new wipes.
I bought some flannel this weekend for this very purpose! How do make yours? I'm thinking of making each two layers of flannel.

9/2011 items decluttered
Old 05-25-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBird View Post

That thing looks awesome! I wish I could sew.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

The mobile is awesome!
Old 05-25-2010, 11:23 PM

I am jealous of all you crafty mamas!!! I am so not... I wish I could make some things for the baby... thankfully I have wonderful friends who pick up the slack for me!!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
Old 05-26-2010, 08:27 AM

aww I made a bird mobile too!!! I'm also making a couple of felted horses.
Does anyone have directions for felt wipes?? I have flannel

Happily married, crunchy mama crazy in love with our little man, Bam bam (10/5/10) due aug 2014 with our rainbow bean missing our 3 angel babies (9/09, 7/12, 12/12)
Old 05-26-2010, 09:37 AM

I make mine two layers! Makes them nice and soft....
After I sew the edges I trim them with the pinking shears. They hold up pretty well.

Tod and Ang
parents to Justin, Sage, Bailey, Hanna and JonJon Expecting another little one in Oct 2010.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:

OMG! Thank you! This is also something that I can do with my dd since she loves to hand sew!!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
That is beautiful! I was just thinking about a mobile for the new little, although I didn't think about *making* one until now! And handsewing -- I can do that...well, in theory I can do that. This could be a really fun project for the summer.

Otherwise, I haven't thought of anything to make - I love crafting (when time allows), but I mostly make tiny paper sculptures, so that doesn't inspire much in the way of things to play with or wear!
Old 05-26-2010, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I have to admit that I sewed my birds on the machine. Still it's not finished...

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:42 AM

Knitting and felting Xmas stockings for DS and the new LO. DS hasn't needed a stocking at our house because for his two holiday seasons so far, we've been at my parents' house where they supply the stocking.

After those are done, I move on to longies.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:25 AM

I'm working on a quilt for baby, not getting very far very fast, but I AM going to get it done before Oct.

Other projects I have planned are a doll carrier for DD so she can carry her dolls while I carry the baby, I know you can buy a new native one or a moby one but I want it to be similar to the one I use, plus I'm sure making will be cheaper.

I have a quiet/activity book that I started for DD about a year ago, I would like to finish that so she can use it (even though she already knows how to do most of the things in it) and then later new one can use it.

I'd also like to get some clothes made for them both, but I doubt I'll get to that.

O and I've been working on a quilt for mine and DH's bed for about 3 years now, I might have done in about 10 years

JessieBird that mobile is super cute, I wonder if I could modify to have fish (thats the nursery's theme this time)? O well I probably wouldn't be able to get it done in time. It's funny I had time to make 4 quilts when pg with DD and working a 55-60hour work week, but this time I'm worried about getting one done

SAHM to Codi 1/12/08, James 11/3/10 and Connor 4/10/13 with our own personal Superhero DH/daddy

Old 05-28-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley_R View Post

JessieBird that mobile is super cute, I wonder if I could modify to have fish (thats the nursery's theme this time)?
I think it would be really cute with fish too. In my head I'm envisioning adding some seaweed-y or mossy kinda something to the sticks to make them look like they're growing underwater, then I'd hang the fish from the sticks instead of having them perch on top.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Oh Ashley, I'm sooo bad about starting projects and never finishing them!

Kallyn, the fish mobile idea sounds neat!
Old 05-29-2010, 02:22 PM

hey girls,
Ive made about 50 diapers for this babe thus far, and three sleepers, one with feet and two without. Learning to do snaps was a bugger let me tell ya...lol
I also made a whack of wipes and breast pads from left over diaper flannel.
I am currently knitting a light sweater and crocheting a blanket.
LOTS more things to make and it seems the list just keeps getting longer lol

Unschooling Crunchy Mama of 5 babies. Welcome Emily-Rose born September 7th 2010!
Old 05-29-2010, 09:40 PM

I wish I was crafty! The best I've got so far is making some new fleece diaper inserts for when this baby gets bigger and wets more! LOL

ETA: I will be making some new wipes too since my wipes from DD are all pretty threadbare.

Mom to Nora - 04/07 and Brendan - born still at 23 weeks - 07/10
Old 06-11-2010, 06:40 PM

bumping this thread up so I can toot my own horn

although I have been making stuff for the babe....I felt so bad about not having made DS something in quite a while....so yesterday I got a wild hair and made him this tank top and a tutorial to go along with it!

http://oliviajeankeepinitgreen.blogs...-tutorial.html

What are you all working on right now?!?

WOH Mom (for now)to DS (aka:Kiddo) and Little Bean (10/12/2010), Married to DH for ~7 years,
Old 06-12-2010, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome, Olivia! I finished knitting the baby's hat, I need to upload a pic!
Old 06-21-2010, 05:05 PM

Great hat!!! Love it.

How are everyone else's projects going?

We hung wallpaper yesterday, and this past weekend I finished restoring an antique dresser for the baby's room (sanded, primed, painted, and painted the hardware).

I also painted an old bookshelf we had around the house and am about to decoupage scraps of the wallpaper into its side insets.

I worked on an art project for above the dresser by cutting scraps from an old embroidered duvet cover and "framing" them with embroidery hoops.

Finally, I've picked out crib bedding fabric! Haven't ordered yet, but plan to in the next couple of weeks so I can get started!

I'll try to post pics of the completed projects this week!

Let us know how the rest of your projects are coming along!!!

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I love that fabric! I need to pick a new project to start. I need to find a good longies pattern.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:42 PM

I love the Sheepy Pants pattern for longies. I made a pair for my cousin's baby (that I am going to get back for this next one), and I'm working on a newborn size for this baby. You can find it on ravelry if you search for Sheepy Pants.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
Old 06-22-2010, 12:35 AM

You all make me feel like I really need to learn how to crochet/knit! Lol.

So, I'm unbelievably excited (and proud!) to finally be able to share some photographic proof of all the hard work that's been going on over here.

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndzies View Post

So, I'm unbelievably excited (and proud!) to finally be able to share some photographic proof of all the hard work that's been going on over here.
Wow, that's impressive! I am so not a decorator... all that work just makes me feel exhausted, just looking at the pics!

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
Old 06-22-2010, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I love the Sheepy Pants pattern for longies. I made a pair for my cousin's baby (that I am going to get back for this next one), and I'm working on a newborn size for this baby. You can find it on ravelry if you search for Sheepy Pants.
Awesome, I'll check that out! Thanks!

Lyndzies, the room looks great! Amazing what repainting a dresser can do, wow! I'm so not a decorator, either
Old 06-22-2010, 12:35 PM

That room looks great Lyndzies! I'm glad you mentioned those things on the dresser were fabric scraps because at first I thought they looked like antique plates and I feared for their safety with a LO around.

I lost steam on the stuffed ball I was knitting. I have almost all the pieces done, but now they need to be seamed together and I haaate that part.

I've been working on a cross stitch of a rose. No idea why I picked it, because cross stitch is the most boringest thing ever and takes about 18 years. Maybe I should get to work on some immediate payoff items like little knitted hats or something.

I am still lusting after that mobile posted earlier in the thread, but I'd have nowhere to put it in our house. The heat in our house radiates down from the ceiling from coils that are inside the ceiling, so you can't put any nails in for fear of hitting wiring and you can't use adhesive hooks because the heat coming from the ceiling will make the adhesive melt. Ho hum.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn View Post
I am still lusting after that mobile posted earlier in the thread, but I'd have nowhere to put it in our house. The heat in our house radiates down from the ceiling from coils that are inside the ceiling, so you can't put any nails in for fear of hitting wiring and you can't use adhesive hooks because the heat coming from the ceiling will make the adhesive melt. Ho hum.
Can you get one of those planter hangers for the wall and hang it off of that? You could get super creative and make it look like a tree branch coming out of the wall.

Happily married, crunchy mama crazy in love with our little man, Bam bam (10/5/10) due aug 2014 with our rainbow bean missing our 3 angel babies (9/09, 7/12, 12/12)
Old 06-22-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndzies View Post

Wow, it's beautiful! I love the colours and the wall art. I love how it's not babyfied. She'll treasure the time and thought that went into it for many many years to come.

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

User Tag List