Heartburn Remedies - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-02-2010, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who has some tried and tested heartburn remedies? It's keeping me up at night!
With DD, a glass of milk before bed would help. But I've since discovered that cows milk is what causes my eczema so have been dairy free for two years. I only discovered that as I had to go dairy free for DD who is dairy allergic, and surprise! my eczema went away.

So anyway...who has some great remedies?
Thanks!

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#2 of 12 Old 06-02-2010, 04:59 PM

I carry tums with me and during the end of my last pregnancy I took daily doses of papaya enzymes and it helped a ton. One in the morning one before bed.

Harmony; fly-by-nursing2.gifslingtwin.giffamilybed2.gifcd.giftreehugger.gifblogging.jpg to DH and first time Mom to Xander! 12/24/2008babyf.gif and Oliver 11/3/10 babyf.gif
#3 of 12 Old 06-02-2010, 06:59 PM

Calcium magnesium capsules usually work well for me, though I think I might pick up some papaya enzyme because the cal mag hasn't been working as well this time as it has in the past.
#4 of 12 Old 06-02-2010, 09:26 PM

I did a lot of Tums last time and I'm really trying to avoid that this time. So far I've picked up papaya enzyme, some mildly sweetened papaya spears, and some slippery elm lozenges. Of course my heartburn has not been bad at all so far so I don't know if these will cut it when the heartburn really starts up.

If cow milk worked for you last time, you might try almond milk. Can't hurt to give it a whirl and it won't set off your eczema or allergies like cows milk. I've also been told to avoid bready things but I've gotten heartburn after eating a hard boiled egg so I don't think that necessarily works for everyone. I've also been told to avoid spicy food but I have no problems with having habanero sauce with my fried eggs though it seems ginger might give me problems.

Good luck and report back what works for you. Heartburn just sucks!

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#5 of 12 Old 06-02-2010, 09:32 PM

Papaya enzymes are great!!!

An old wives tail...
teaspoon of vinegar.. dunno how or why it works, but IT DOES!
#6 of 12 Old 06-03-2010, 11:56 AM

Papaya works really well for me

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#7 of 12 Old 06-04-2010, 10:38 PM

I've never heard the papaya solution and am excited to try it!

I like Earth Mama Angel Baby's Heartburn Tea, but with it being so hot out I haven't been in the mood for hot tea and I'm not sure it would work the same cold. Its main ingrediant is marshmallow root.

SAHM to Codi 1/12/08, James 11/3/10 and Connor 4/10/13 with our own personal Superhero DH/daddy

#8 of 12 Old 06-04-2010, 11:29 PM

1) Birth.
2) Zantac.

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#9 of 12 Old 06-05-2010, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh too bad, I was going to suggest milk! I don't go anywhere without a sport bottle of milk these days. I've tried Tums and Gaviscon also. Tums did nothing and Gaviscon worked a bit but not nearly as effectively as good old milk. Hope you find a solution!

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and Littlest Lake due mid-Dec 2014.
#10 of 12 Old 06-05-2010, 03:31 PM

I find that the one thing that gives me heartburn the most is water!!!! Ugh. So i vote for milk too. Although with Ds I was so desperate that I took a shot of yellow mustard after reading a tip online and it actually worked. Tasted horrible though.
#11 of 12 Old 06-05-2010, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Yes water makes it worse. We've got soy and rice milk but they are not heavy enough to stop the acid I'll try and hunt down some papaya enzymes here. Thanks everyone!

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#12 of 12 Old 06-13-2010, 11:49 PM

Tums is the only thing that works for me. Lots and lots of Tums - Ultra 1000 peppermint to be exact. I think that I have every natural remedy for HB in my med. cabinet. I have tried them all and always go back to the Tums. I have a bottle sitting next to the computer as I type this!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page